Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Jaxum's 'A Disneylander's experiences in WDW' trip report! in the Vacation Planning forums; The continuation of ' 167.8 hours to go.... But who's counting!' After so many years, I finally made it back to the parks today! I use to live in Florida ...
    Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

Jaxum's 'A Disneylander's experiences in WDW' trip report! (Now with Pictures!)

The continuation of '167.8 hours to go.... But who's counting!'

After so many years, I finally made it back to the parks today! I use to live in Florida when I was younger, and our family would go to the Magic Kingdom, and EPCOT after it opened quite often until we moved in 1986. I have only been back once, in 1995, and only went to the MK for 2 days. Since most of what I am seeing, or going to see, on this trip is new to me, and since I go to Disneyland every few months, I thought I would give my impressions and a few comparisons. I feel like I might be setting myself up for some interesting comments. I'm also going solo, which will give me a lot of freedom to go as slow or as fast I want.
    It would be impossible for me not to make some comparisons. I mean after all, this is not my usual park. Mine's on the other coast!
    Some might consider some of this to be critical, but it's not meant to be. It's just my impressions, and it could change in the next post, or at the end of the trip, but after being here for only half a day, I'm loving it!

So lets get started...
    I really wanted to immerse myself in Disney, so I made the following plans:

• 8 Days for the parks
    • All Stars Music Resort
    • Magical Express to get to the parks
    • Dinning plan, and yes, I did make my reservations!
    • I pretty much made sure I would not need to leave the parks, so I could do as much as I can with out killing myself. At least that's the plan.

I arrived in Orlando this afternoon about 25 minutes earlier then our scheduled landing time, and was excited to get going. This is about when I started realizing I have no idea what to do. I've read the materials that came to me, listened to the podcasts, and studied weather reports. I think I might have over done it. Almost everyone talks about the immersion of getting on to property and being surrounded by the magic. Here's how it worked for me. We waited on the Mears bus for about 20 minutes before the driver got back and pulled the bus away. The wait time was perfectly fine, and if it had one longer, I still wold not have had a problem. However, before we even started the driver said that there might be a problem with the video, and it did fail. So for the first 10 minutes of the trip we listened to a radio station playing hits from the 80's, 90's, and what ever other decade they wanted. Not very immersive and I was some what disappointed, until the driver came over the speakers and figured that since the video was broken, he would try and tell us what it was suppose to cover. The bus was laughing the rest of the way. He really made up for it, and I ended up recording most of what he said.
    Next, the Value Resort. I like it. Small, but it's only me. I'm not too far from the main building, and I have not heard any noise from outside. As I said, I like it.

My dinner reservation was at Tutto Italia, so, after I checked in, I was on my way to EPCOT. The bus to EPCOT arrived less then 5 minutes after I started waiting, made a stop at another resort, and then it was on its way to the park. I guess this is where I lose the immersion that others mention. I felt like I was on an bus in any town just trying to get to my destination. Maybe I was expecting Disney music to be playing. Maybe I was expecting announcements about what we were passing. Maybe if I wasn't talking to the family next to me I would have heard it! I do seem to remember a voice in the background, which means I really need to pay attention tomorrow.

EPCOT. Wow...... I haven't been back here in 23 years, and apparently my memory really does ****. Also, what's up with the finger print scanner?!?! Spaceship Earth was a walk on ride tonight, which put a grin on my face. This is where my memory was correct. I remember it breaking down once when I was a kid and my brother and I missed dinner with our family because it took 45 minutes to get the ride moving again. Today we got stopped 5 times, but luckily it got moving quickly. The longest wait was just under 6 minutes. I hate to say it... I knew that I was setting myself up for disappointment when I went hunting for Journey Into Imagination! First off, I got lost. I mean, I had no idea where I was again. I thought it was on the other side of the ball for heavens sake. I walked in just before it was to close for the night, and the place was empty. No one was lined up, and now I know why. I'll leave it at that... no I won't! I want the Dream Finder back! Now I'm done.
    Although you can't hear it, I have "The Rain, Rain, Rain Came Down, Down, Down" and "The Many Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh" looped and playing in the background for a very good reason. It was starting to come down when I got out of 'The Farce of Figment', so I started walking. I got wet, and didn't really care a bit. I just knew that I needed to start walking around the World Showcase to catch 'The American Adventure' before dinner. Enjoyable show, and I plan to go back and see it again. When it was over I needed to hurry to make my reservation time. The food was good, but I've only had one dish there, I would be hard to recommend without a second go around. I really surprised one of the servers though when I noticed her name tag said she was from Sicily. I was able to talk to her in depth about her home town since I also lived there as a kid. I was a Navy brat... lived all over.
    After dinner, it wasn't just coming down a little bit, it was really coming down. I was a little surprised to see Illuminations going on, and even wilder to watch the fireworks being struck by lightning! That was sweet! By the time I reached the front of EPCOT, I was soaked, and was wondering how water resistant my camera bag really was. I was planning on going over to the MK for extra hours, but I didn't want to lose the camera on the first day from me being stupid so I headed back to the resort. And thus, I started typing...

Ok... let the flame bait start!!!!
    This place is huge! I can see why it takes some time to get from one place to another, but I love the simplicity, and the size of Disneyland. I guess I am used to being able to park hop in literally a matter of a few minutes. I do think others are wrong when they talk about the outside world being to close to DL. Disneyland has gone to a great deal of effort so that we would not see that outside world, except for a few things they can't control. But to have the ability to walk out of your hotel into Downtown Disney. Wander down the walkway and end up standing at the entrance to two parks, and hear music the whole time... I just hope I can experience something like this, mainly hearing music as I am walking up to a park, on this trip. Don't worry, I will be looking!

Tomorrows plan:
    Animal Kingdom
    Late lunch at Yak and Yeti
    Last edited by Jaxum; 05-25-2009 at 01:10 AM.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Jaxum's 'A Disneylander's experiences in WDW' trip report!

Thanks for your post. I look forward to reading your follow-on posts and reviews.

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder

Enjoyed reading your post and looking forward to more.
    September will be my first trip to Disneyland... interested in reading tips and tidbits about DL.
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

It's after 2am when this is being posted, so if it seems that I'm rambling, forgive me!

Day 2....
    Why is it when people go on vacation, they feel so excited to wake up early in the morning to go out and do whatever... Extra morning hours today was at Animal Kingdom, and before this trip, I just knew I was going to be there early to see the sights, enjoy the rides, and do the same as everyone else... meaning, walk into other people because you weren't looking! Of course when I did the math of when to go there, I added 2 and 2, and got 8, meaning it would open then. But my body is better at math and added 2 and 2, and got 6. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am not a morning person. But I persevered, and got there at 8... my time, not park time, which really made it 10. I mentioned yesterday that I started getting lost in EPCOT, and I used to go there as a boy. Now I'm in a park that I don't know, and looking like a tourist. Good thing everyone else did also! If it were in New York, my pockets would have been picked so fast I would not have known it, and still been looking up in the trees thinking, "Yep, that's a monkey!" (Use a southern hick voice when you say it, works bedder that way. Personally, I've lost my accent, but it comes back once in a while.)

Ok... I had some of my friends ask me today if there was really no music on the bus. I'll be honest, I did not notice it last night, but finally heard some come on when we got to the gate for AK. However, my experience later that night was very different. I'll get to that in a bit. Another thing, I decided to use my destinedfor twitter account to keep track of what I was seeing and doing so that when I typed this up, so I wouldn't be scratching my head to try and remember.

So here we go...
    I was excited to go to the park this morning. It was just drizzling a little bit when I headed out, and everyone was standing under cover till their bus showed up. Once again, It has never really felt like a long wait. I like it! but still no music until we got to the park, and that only lasted for a few minutes. Boo!
    I am a firm believer that life deserves a sound track, and at Disneyland, they have never let me down. But as I was walking up to the gates at AK, I heard music with volume. The kind that just fills you with energy and excitement for what is to come. This is what I was looking for!
    I have to say, they did an amazing job on this park, and I agree with Lou that it is not a half day experience.
    Then of course, I had no idea where I was going, which means it could never be a half day experience!
    One of the recent WDW Radio episodes focused on Dinoland and what it is really all about, so that is where I wanted to start.
    It is precisely what they were shooting for. The tacky road side attraction, that you know could never be safe, but you have to check it out anyway. From the carnival attractions, to the logo topiary being framed with used license plates, you couldn't get cheesier if you tried.

Big thumbs up from me! At this point I just wanted to wander and see what was around, and found myself at the entrance to the Nemo Musical.
    Now, I had some pretty high expectations after seeing Aladdin in DCA. In fact, here are some pictures I took to show how well it is put together...
    Alladin: The Musical Adventure - a set on Flickr
    But I was surprised to see wooden benches inside. It was well done, but I could see that the people sitting on the sides could have a problem seeing several scenes. They would blocked out from seeing what was going on, but still able to hear it. Also, and this is not a complaint, we are use to seeing this as a movie with no singing, so that creates a barrier that has to be broken down. It also felt like the actors singing lines were stepping on each other, and other times we could barely hear them. I do plan on going back and watching it again to see if it was a tech issue with the sound. I would still recommend people go and see it because it is good, just don't do what I did... Compare it to DCA's production of Aladdin.
    Just before the show started, The Pooh song started going trough my head again when the last 30 people that walked in soaked. Which made me notice that you could hear the rain on the roof. This might actually be a reason why I didn't enjoy the show as much... The though of going outside into the rain afterwords. However, it was back to a minor drizzle when the show ended. This inspired me to find the lockers and put my camera bag away. I also picked up an Annual Pass right next door. I figure that I will be back out for the Adventures Club night, actually 5 days, and again for the Holidays, so it would be a good deal. And, thanks GalPal for the coupon!
    Now I needed a new plan. I figures it was time to hit Everest. Now some of you might say, "Hey Jax, you were right next to it before going to the lockers". And you would be right. But apparently I like to walk, and the possible blister on the bottom of my foot is proof of that.
    Thank goodness for the single rider line. Everest has one. I bypassed the que, which I do need to go through to see everything, and got to be the 2nd from the front when the ride broke down. Now to be honest, I'm glad it broke down when it did, and not when I could have been at the top of the hill like that other group of people. We waved at them for 20 minutes before we got bored and left them to their fate. The ride would be closed for the next hour or so.
    What to do, what to do... I got it! Walk to the other side of this huge park and take the safari! And I did. Loved it! Even in the rain, the animals were still visible, and a delight to see. I really want to go again early in the morning when the animals are moving around, but I would be just as happy to see it like this again and again and again.
    Time to try Everest. It wasn't quite up and going yet, but I stuck around because the cast members were starting to get things set back up. About 10 minutes of the guest waiting patiently, yea right, they were letting everyone back in. I jumped into the single rider line, and was placed about half way down the train. Perfect. Wont get pushed, and wont get pulled. I get strapped in, and then notice, there's no hand holds. I'm used to there being HS or JC bars on rollercoasters. This is where I have to explain that I HATE heights. And by hate, I mean, a great fear. Thats why I was glad I was not in the train that was stuck. I would to have had to walk down the steep steep stairs to get out. At this point I just jammed my toes against the partition, and put a death grip on the lap bar. My friend Scott was right. When you are going backwards in the dark, you have no idea what is going on. I was white knuckled the whole way! It was a blast! As it came to an end, and realizing I wanted to ride it again, just not yet, I knew I didn't want to walk to far to try something else, but what?
    I know, head back to Dinoland and try Primeval Whirl!
    Primeval Whirl was fun, but you better make sure you have a strong stomach when it starts spinning. I was afraid of getting on this, not because of the spinning, but because it looked so much like Muholland Madness which was in DCA. Let me stress the WAS part, because they pulled it. Thank goodness, because it ****ed. It just felt hollow and boring, where as this ride had a corny layer on top of it which gives it a different feel. It also poked fun at the Dino Institute, by telling us not to try and bring anything back with us! Nice touch. The strange part is it takes longer to follow the exit que, then the actual ride time.
    My lunch reservation time is getting closer, but still 40 minutes away, so I started thinking of Everest... Should I do it? I can still walk in a straight line, so I should be good to go. Once again I hit the single rider line. (I'm starting to notice I seem to use the word, 'again', quite a bit.) When my number gets called, one, I hop to it, and then see I am at the back. In fact, the very back. I am going to get whipped up and over, with no real down time. At least I know how to sit in this ride now. Needless to say that it was still a blast. But the fact that I was now swerving a bit, let me know that I was done with these rides for a bit. Not noucious, just playing with my balance!
    3:15pm. Time for Lunch.
    Yak and Yeti have some of the best ribs I have had in a long time. Very tender with a great taste. I highly recommend them. Seriously... Wow... After eating I was able to watch the parade from my table on the second floor with few obstructions. The servers recommended that if I was planning on leaving the park, to wait till after the parade to avoid the crowd below. Since rollercosters + really good food = nap time! It was time to head...
    Back to the resort.
    Needless to say, I passed out. When I came to, I needed to get moving for extra hours in DHS. I was going to get a glimpse of what was being planned for DCA. This is where I found the perfect bus. It played music. Disney music. It got me in the mood right off the bat and I was ready to get in the park. In fact it lasted the whole trip. Wonderful. Please let it continue for the rest of the trip. Because of the recent podcast, and one of my favorites, about the DHS, I had a very good idea of what to expect. This also makes me a bit sad. This has shown me what could and should have happened with DCA. We seemed to have been given the lite version of a few rides. Your Tower of Terror is better by leaps and bounds. The lightning patterns inside when you go up and down is great, and... Well... Man, its just better. Also, why do we not have Rockin Rollercoaster in DCA? It is an incredible ride that fits the California theme so much better. I rode this one twice, with a Toy Story pause in between. AUUGHHHHH!!!!! I love the que you have for Toy Story! We just get to bake in the sun for ours. Why Disney? Why? Where's a tissue? (I think this icon looks like some needing Medimucial more then crying...)
    Just for the record, I am so glad that Disney did such a great job on these attractions out here. It's good to see them plus themselves. I figure that both coasts have attractions that the other does not, which gives us these reasons to travel, compare, and enjoy.
    It's getting late, at least by Florida time, so I'm heading off to bed. Good night.
    Last edited by Jaxum; 05-24-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Mrs Potts is offline D-Ticket Holder

Excellent read! I've been on the edge of this chair, hanging on to every word, wishing I was there! I'm anxious to read more and truly hope you are having a wonderful time!
    Disney Dreamin'

fabmadhatter is offline A-Ticket holder

Jax ! been waiting with baited breath for your report , glad you seem to be having a great trip so far. How are you enjoying Music resort ? just a bed, I know...but your thoughts please ! Thanks so much for sharing the fun. Seeee ya !!

Linnette Alissa is offline A-Ticket holder

I always feel like Disneyland and DCA have most of the rides that the four FL parks have stuffed into two parks. It's nice to see this from the other side. haha

Have fun!

Sorry for the delay, but I was a little tired last night! It will be up shortly.
    Last edited by Jaxum; 05-21-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Bad format....

Sorry this is a day late, but I was really tired last night!
    Wait... need to proof read it first! Done.

Day 3...
    Everyone sing together
    And the rain rain rain came down down down, and drowned our little Piglet...

Talk about a downpour. I could hear the rain before I even left the room, and I made sure I had my poncho in one of my pockets. I have to say, the buses are running on schedule out here. I have to, and still do, give them kudos for that. I also have learned that music is playing on the bus, but they run so loud, and the guests are talking, that the music gets covered up pretty easily, but you still make it to parks.

The primary reason I chose the Magic Kingdom for today is my dinner reservation was at Tony's. A good friend of mine said that it is one of her favorite places to eat, but after seeing the rain coming down, I knew that there was no way I was going to stick around non-stop until 7:30. So, Poncho over my body, Teva type Crocs on my feet, and I was ready for what ever Mother Nature threw at me. And boy, did she give it a try!

The park is so much bigger then Disneyland. Main Street looks like the full size version compared to what i am used to seeing. Because of the 120% humidity, ie rain, I wanted to check out the stores on the left side of the street.
    Then I noticed, stores became store. One big long store. While in there, I found the book I was looking for yesterday, but on held off till I was going to leave the park. Turned around walked out the door, and found myself at the hub. Wow... One store from end to end. To be honest, I was not expecting to make it that far down. In Disneyland I was used to having to come back out on to Main Street every once in a while and enter the next set of stores. I do plan to go back and see if the store fronts reflect what is behind them.

Adventureland in WDW is HUGE!
    I kept walking and walking and walking, and still could not see the end of it. Out west you can spit 3 times and be in New Orleans Square! Lots of details, and I wish I could have listened to Lou's CD while being there, but I had no desire to shock myself. Of course my first ride in the park had to be Pirates.
    I thank the guys in show #58 when they talked about the differences between the east and west coast versions. My thoughts on this are: One was build with love, the other was built with a fear of mutiny from the guests! (If someone else said this before me, I give them all credit, and please don't sue me!) That's the other thing. The biggest reason you all have such great que lines is because of the rain. Disney tries to keep folks as covered as possible. I'm glad they did! Ok... Back to the show... The que for pirates is great. Good details to keep people engaged and then onto the boats. Three seconds into the ride, till the very end, I felt like we were being rushed from one scene in to the next. I wish you all could have the Bayou to start you out. It really sets the mood that you are going back into the depths to see something. A few of the things you see in the que can be found in the ride back west, so you don't miss out on it, but the ending is so abrupt it's shocking. To be seeing and listening to Jack with his treasure, but also seeing people getting off the ride at the same time kills the illusion. Letting us drink it up for one more corner would have been much better.

After I wandered around Adventureland for a bit more, I finally found where it ends and walked into Frontierland. Splash Mountain, Country Bears, Big Thunder, but wait! There's Peco's Bills! Time for lunch. Nom nom nom nom.... This is where having more then yourself at the parks can be handy. Meaning, one person getting the food, and another hunting for a table. And good call folks, they are tasty burgers. At this time the rain has almost stopped. Since I was kind of wet, but not really bad, it was time to hit Splash Mountain. I was on this a dozen years ago, but can't remember much more then my nephew losing his hat as he watched up go down the slide. I now feel that I am in good company, because I lost my hat on this trip too! Dang! No way to replace it either, got it at Hard Rock in Dubai. This is a ride that is difficult for me to compare because they both tell a different version of the same story, and they both do it well. The best part of the ride though is when I gave the front row to a couple of guys that I could tell really wanted it. I had no problem with this at all, and lets just say that Karma smiled down on me! With no ponchos or umbrellas, and only the clothes on their backs, we made our way around the bend next to the slide, and they took the entire spray. I don't just mean they got wet, I mean they could 't have jumped in a pool to get any more wet. They guy on the left was freaking out for the rest of the ride any time something else might come along and spray him. I was laughing so hard for the rest of the ride! Because of this, I spent the next 40 minutes standing out in front of the slide watching people get soaked. I'm still chuckling when I think of those two.

The rain was coming down again, and I was looking for the next adventure. Country Bears, it was to be... but it had an 18 minute wait, so time to move along. Around the corner I could see the Hunted Mansion. I was so excited to go in and see what they had done. I had heard the stories, seen some pics, but I'm glad no one over exaggerated it because it was sweet! Did I mention that all the lines so far have been 5 minutes or less? That is what makes being there in the rain worth it! (Another thing I am noticing, and it could just be my imagination, but the ride vehicles all seem to be moving just a little bit faster then their west coast counterparts.) I love the new stretching room, with the creaking and the host's voice moving around. Also the whispering as you leave the room. What a feeling! The staircase room is well done, but I almost missed it because I thought it would be somewhere else. See what listening to other people can get you? One of my favorites was the eyes in the wallpaper. Well done. After going through this, I can see where DL can make some very minor changes, mainly the stretching room, and bring it up to par. Leave the stairs in Florida as an incentive for people to made the journey!

And the rain rain rain kept pouring down.... Since the Hall of Presidents is closed down right now, I had no real reason to stick around Liberty Square, so I was off to Fantasy Island, I mean Fantasyland. BTW... The covers they put over the construction are amazing. The first two I saw I had to do a double take.
    It helps keep the feeling of what is around with out screaming, "WERE WORKING HERE!". Very very well thought out. We just get walls in DL. Anyway, I saw the hole they cut in the wall to get to "It's a Small World", but passed it up at this time to look into Philharmagic, as there was no line, and it was just about to start. Got my glasses, joined the small crowd, and entered the theater. I have never head any details about this show before, so it was a surprise the whole time. This was fantastic! My eyes hurt a little bit, but these glasses always do that to me. I wanted to go again, but when I got out, I saw the line! Huge. Apparently I caught a lucky break, but also the rain just became a downpour again. From there I headed over to "It's a Small World, (except for people like Lou and me)". This turned out to be the longest line of the day... 20 minutes. The facade on the outside of DL is on the inside of WDW, and to me feels strange. I guess I'm just not used to waiting inside as much, but it's dry, and I'm not complaining! Needless to say, it's "It's a Small World" and leave it at that.

Upon exiting the rain was coming down even harder now, the same as buckets now, and in some places I was wading, 1", through Fantasyland. I decided to call it an afternoon and head back to the resort for a nap, and to dry out. As I was leaving I wanted to go through the other side of Main Street and see what they had on that side. Each area was themed for a different type of sales, and I found the WDW Main Street miniatures. I have a few of the DL ones. Love them. I also went back to the first store and bought the book I was after... and a new hat. Grrrr....

Ok... On, but off topic for a moment. An annual pass in DL will get you a discount on pretty much everything in the park, except in the Disneyana store... Why not here?

After a bit of a rest, I boarded the bus and heading back to the Magic Kingdom, and when I got there realized I left my room/dining plan card in my room. Guest services was great about replacing this for me, and fast enough for me to make my reservation time. Most folks I know don't like to dine alone in public. With my job sending me somewhere every other week or at a moments notice, I just make sure I have my Kindle with me or at least my iPhone to play games! Go Flight Controller! My record is 68. Anyway... What ever the seafood and pasta I had was called, it was great. It had a bite, and I was happy to finish it. Have to say, I love the dining plan, but dang, it's a lot of food. I've been using my snack as breakfast which keeps me going for quite some time, but the drink and desert with the other meals is a lot, still, at least I'm not going away hungry.

After eating this huge mass of food, I really wanted to go and see the Partners statue in the hub. I know it's the same, but it has a different castle behind it. Again, this place has a different feel then I am used too. Not bad, just different. I like different. The hub is flat with the street, where I'm used to seeing it raised up, and it is quite a bit wider. I like it. But the other reason to come to hub and peer at the statue, is Tomorrowland is just to the right! After reading the Celebrations article about Tomorrowland at night, I thought that this would be the time to go in and see it. And again, there were no lines all walk ons. I watched Stitch, but never again. Once is enough! I actually preferred the Alien to this. Buzz Lightyear is quite different as the guns can not be picked up and aimed, but it is also sensory overload. I had no idea what was going on, but still pulled out over 610,000 points. This is when I noticed "The Carousel of Progress". Disney Nirvana. The Holy Grail. And it was spinning! And then the announcement came over the loud speakers that the fireworks were about to start and the attractions were closing down! AAAAUUUGGGHHHHHHHH......... Dang. I'll have to catch it another day.

I stuck around for the first 5 minutes of the fireworks, and every time I heard the music, I kept thinking, "Are they going to show 'Remember... Dreams Come True'?" Both have a lot of the same parts. Needless to say, I was wet, and really just wanted to get back to the resort and crash, and crash I did!
    Last edited by Jaxum; 05-24-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added photos

Now to start working on Day 4...........

Still working on Day 4, but I was finally able to take some pictures today!
    Other news... I found out a few days ago that work will be sending me to LA right after I finish up my site down the road from WDW. In other words, I will be in Disneyland the week after WDW!!!!

Here is a link to my Flickr WDW pic set:
    My pics from WDW... Will be updated when there is no rain.
    Last edited by Jaxum; 05-21-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to proof read!

Day 6...
    A whole new....
    I just can't get use to East Coast time. I just can't so it. It's just stuck in my head that it's not right, and it's going to prove it! I was finally getting out of the room at a decent hour, (if I were back in Utah it would have been a decent hour), looked outside and and saw a blue sky with some clouds. Sweet! I could finally wear my lanyard, carry the gear I want, and have a good clear day to enjoy. I started packing everything I wanted to take along into my bag, making sure I had my poncho and umbrella with me, and opened my door. It was not a light rain. Oh no. It was coming down. So I went back in and started unpacking things, got down to the bear necessities and opened the door again. Sunshine! Huh.... Whatever...
    Instead of playing with the bag again, I just headed out and started thinking of what I wanted to go see this morning. Then I started thinking , what can I go see that has food around it? I was getting hungry after all! The Land it is! I love the ham and salami sandwich there. And I could try and see Soarin'. Now that I had a plan, I was off.
    As the bus was pulling in to EPCOT, a few drops of rain started coming down. This means the weather could, and more then likely will get worse. I was still willing to take a chance, after all, I still had the poncho and umbrella with me. It was a very faint rain all the way to The Land Pavilion, and a short little walk to get my fastpass for Soarin'. Then I saw it. Four and a half hours wait time! Holy smokes! Should have looked at the return time before grabbing it. I wasn't planning on sticking around this park for that long, but who knows.
    When I left the building, the rain was done for the time, and I was able to pull out my camera and take some photos. It's about time. I wandered around the Flower and Garden displays and admired what some people can do with a green thumb. I gave up trying to grow anything a long time ago.
    This lead me to the beautiful landscape in Canada.

I was tempted to call some of my friends and let them know I was in Canada, and see if they wanted to get together for dinner. Since they live in Calgary, I at first thought this could be a funny joke, but then realized it was one of those jokes better left unsaid. I did enjoy the O' Canada show. I've always liked Martin Short, and he made what could have been a dry experience in to something fun. Go see it 'eh!
    I didn't feel like making the mile long trek around World Showcase today, but did want to wander through Innovations East and West. These exhibits really do give folks something to do for awhile, and they are air conditioned! Helps kill the humidity. I also watched the fountain display between the buildings.

I love these type of shows. When I was a kid, my brothers and I would always play in the fountains in EPCOT. I guess this just reminds me of back then. Because the weather had been good for so long, I wanted to get back to my resort and grab the rest of my gear, so back on the bus.
    Walked up to the room, grabbed the gear, and headed to the bus stop for the Magic Kingdom. I love being on the buses in Disney. It makes it so easy to talk to people because you already have a common topic, the rain. The family next to me had just arrived, and was ready to go. I also noticed they didn't have any rain gear with them. I gave them a quick heads up on what the weather has been like, and what they could possibly expect. Of course the mass of dark grey clouds slowly working it's way over the parks was also giving them a much better hint then I could!
    After learning my lesson over the last week, I went directly to put my bag in a locker. Drops were falling on the bus as we were pulling up, and I could tell it was going to get ugly at some point. I didn't need my gear till later anyway, since I was planning to work on more night shots. I love doing timed exposers of some of the rides.
    Once again, your park is HUGE! Just wandering around Tomorrowland can be a long endeavor. I decided to have dinner and Comic Ray's... and I'll leave it at that.... Ok, one bit... For someone going solo at the parks, getting food then a table is not an easy thing. At least it was dry, unlike it was outside. When I left, the water was turned on a little bit. I had my poncho on, and my umbrella out, but was tired of the size of this thing. I decided I wanted a big boy umbrella. The kind a polygismist could keep his whole family dry under. I'm from Utah, I know about these kind of things! I spoke with one of the cast members on where I could get a golf umbrella. His recommendation was one of the golf resorts, or the Athletic Club in Downtown Disney. Since I haven't been to DD yet, I figured this would give me an opportunity to check it out. By the time I got back to the lockers and grabbed my phone, the heaven's opened and the flood came down. It was crazy! Never in my life did I ever expect to see people at the turnstiles of the parks, not want to pass through. Everyone was crowded into any spot that could keep them even partially dry. After waiting a few minutes I ventured out in my poncho and kindergarten sized umbrella and proceeded to walk/wade, in some spots 4 inches of water, to get to the ferry. I thought the TTC would have buses to run folks all over the parks. Whoops. So I got onto the monorail heading to the Poly, and got on the DD bus on the main level.
    I need to say, this bus ride was the longest I have been on so far this trip. It seemed to take forever to get there. .....And they didn't have a big boy umbrella. Well, at least I've been there now! So lets see, Ferry to TTC, monorail to Poly, bus to DD to walking to the bus for Contemporary, and a bit more walking over to the MK... Feels like I'm trying to get to Aviano again, but thats a different story....
    By this time I have just under 2 hours left in the park. The rain had stopped while I was in DD, and thought it could hold out till the end of the night. People on Main Street were making their claim for the parade spots as I walked my way down to the hub. When I made my way to the end, I looked at my phone and saw a Tweet from Lou. He was letting people know that he would be at the Poly if they cared to join. Tired of the rain, and having no idea if it would start back up or not, I turned around and headed to the monorail station.
    I was able to pick out the small group of people with Lou, but got distracted by a screen with the LA Denver game being played. It had 12 minutes left, but I stood there for over 30 watching it before giving up and joining the others. And no, the game still wasn't over. We spent the next little while talking about war, politics, and the economy... Just kidding, we talked Disney and got overt hints with no substance about the Adventurer's Club Evening. Lou just smiled and said, "It will be an interesting evening". Can't wait!
    We called it an evening at midnight so Lou could finish up his show. (We didn't want the community blaming us if the show is late). The other three left before I did, and I said my farewells to Lou, and headed for the Monorail. I asked the Pilot if I could ride up front back to the MK, and he let me in. After I sat down, the other 3 from the group showed up at the door and hopped in. I thought they had caught the previous train, but was happy we could all be up in front together. The pilot came back in and told us we were the only passengers on this trip. The rest of the monorail was empty. What a way to end an evening in the parks!
    Last edited by Jaxum; 05-24-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added photos
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10