Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Veri's weekend getaway in the Vacation Planning forums; So the better Half and I decided to take a weekend trip to see Mickey. it started as wishful thinking then actually became feasible. By way of back ground we ...
    Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Veri's weekend getaway

So the better Half and I decided to take a weekend trip to see Mickey. it started as wishful thinking then actually became feasible. By way of back ground we had planned to go to NYC and see a show, hang out for the weekend etc. By the time I finished all the planning (it's cheaper to fly to NYC from Syracuse than to take the train, and way easier than driving) for transportation, show tickets and hotels it was actually cheaper to fly to Orlando. We sued DVC points to get a studio at the Boardwalk (so no direct lodging cost), out Annual Passes are still current (so no tickets to be bought), we were there Friday to Sunday so we didn't purchase the Dining Plan. Our cost was plane tickets a few meals and some trinkets

So any way

Friday night we take US Airways from Syracuse to Orlando, get in about 1030 PM, get to Boardwalk a little before midnight, check in and off to sleep. Saturday AM we grab breakfast at the Flying Fish (Kimster had waffles, I had a omelet) and we grab a taxi to go to Sea World for our first visit ever. They have a program where military members get in free, so showing our IDs we get complementary passes an visit Shamu for the first time
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Re: Veri's weekend getaway

Veri's weekend getaway part 2

Some observations on Sea World, a very nice park, immaculately kept. We grabbed a park map and planned the day. our fist stop was Shamu Stadium for Believe. Gto there about an hour early, the lines started getting pretty long about 45 minutes be fore the show. We sat in the back of the splashzone next to the center camera platform. before the whales came out on of the crew members made a nice thamnk you military members spiel, they really worked the whole military appreciation angle, I might have to reconsider my not drinking budweiser.

The show was great they had three different whale sout, the usual riding on their back pushing with their snouts, splashing the audience antics. A great show, we enjoyed it a lot.

From there we went to the artic adventure, very short line, rode the helicopter simulator to get to the "research base" (basically a larger version of star tours) and walked through the exhibts, beluga, walrus and polar bear habitats. Very nice, and the exhibits exit into a store, go figure.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Can't wait to hear more... and btw I'm so jealous!
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

having visited the artic we wnet to the shark encounter. A very good expereince. You stand on a people mover as ravel your a plexiglass tunnel though an aquarium with shark rays etc. we decided to catch lunch at the shark grille also very nice. it reminded me of the coral reef as the draw was eating and watching the aquarium. I had a pork chop and Kim had some kind of tilapia. very good and they had a shark attack brownie sundae perfect for sharing.

after the feeding frenzy we wandered over to the penguin exhibit (clearly the model they used for the scene in Happy Feet). As a bonus ther was a puffin habitat.

From the penguins we went tot he sealion pacific northwest exhinit and watch the sea lions seals and gulls. After we wandered down to the mantees and cocodile. I have to say the Sea World manatees have plusher accomodations than the Disney ones.

from there
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

after catching the manatees and watching reptiles bask in the sun it was time to check out the manta rays and the dolphins. The rays were cool, they swim around you put your hand in the basina nd they gnerally swim to you looking for a treat. teh dolphoin section was packed solid. We basically looke don form the walk way, there was no quick way to get close tot he dolphons.

From there we paid the six dollars and took a trip on the rotating observation tower, pretty coola nd you can look into the adjacent Sea World parks, and way off you can glimpse spaceship earth.

We didn't go on the Manta, kraken or Atlantis, lines were insanely l0ng over an hour, or catch some fo the tother shows (sea lions & otters, a la nouba type show and a dolphin show, we just plain ran out of time. over all though i have to say for a small aark Sea World is right n par with Disney. very cleam, very nice and apprently well run. The crew members were polie and helpful, if not quite as aggresively friendly (if that makes sense) as Disney Cast members. Sea World is a definite re-do, and a winner.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

After Sea Worls Kimster and I wandered back to the Boardwalk, tooka swim at the main pool, and then decided to go the magic Kingdom.

MK was pretty busy, buit not as crowded as I was afraid it might be. We hit the Haunted Mansion first and then meandered to POTC. Both waits were pretty short. BTMRR had a 40 minute ewait and splash Mountain 50 minutes so we skipped them and wandered the park. we did a bit of shopping and then decided to call ti a days as we were pretty beat. back to the Board walk, some dinner at Big River Grille (we both ahd burgers and the wowzer wheat beer) and we dropped into sleep
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

Sunday AM, and we're up and running because our Magical Express pick up is at 150 PM

We take to walk to EPCOT, grab a fast pass for test Rack and then soem breakfast at Sunshoine Seasons (IMO one of the most underrated counter services at WDW). We did some browsing at Mouse gear unbtil our FP reurn time, and them took a spin on Test Track. After we took a ride on the Maelstrom and after more browsing grabbed lunch at 9 Dragons (honey Sesame chicken, always a winner). Wse then went to the Americann Pavilion tried the trivia question (it was Woodrow Wilson) and were hit by a Florida rain storm. Of cpourse we bought slickers and walked back to Boardwalk for the ME pick up.

over all. A great weekend get away. friday was a wash because of the flights down. Saturday packed full and great fun. Sunday AM was good and worth taking a later flight for. DVC and the Annual Pass made the trip feasible, no way we could have swung it if we would have had to pay directly for lodging and tickets. It isn't somehting we can do often but it was a nice weekend treat.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Great short TR!
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I enjoyed that! Good report. Wonderful weekend adventure!

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

Great report!!! It sounded like the perfect weekend!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Pal! Your typing still hasn't improved much, my little beady eyes noticed!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Yay, Veri, sounds like a great trip. SeaWorld is a nice park. And budweiser is still undrinkable beer (is it even really beer?) but i am glad you all got to go and had a good time.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.