Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Shere Khan's Trip Report: Sept 13th - Sept 19th in the Vacation Planning forums; Well I am back from the World and of course wish I was still there, but what are you gonna do right??? I had alot of fun, despite some minor ...
    Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...

Shere Khan's Trip Report: Sept 13th - Sept 19th

Well I am back from the World and of course wish I was still there, but what are you gonna do right???
    I had alot of fun, despite some minor setbacks which I will get into later. These events did ruin some of my fun, but I was determined to pull through and try to get accomplished what I had set out to accomplish.

This trip was just my mother and myself. This was our first trip going as just the two of us and both of our 5th trip to the World. This was our first time going in September (we mostly go in late October) and our first time with free dining. I think my favorite thing about this trip was getting to experience the dining. We do always splurge on meals because of the cost. Prior to this trip we had only been to Biergarten, Rose and Crown, 50's Primetime, Sci-Fi Dine In, and Cinderella's Royal Table so it was absolutely awesome to experience some new places in the parks and at different resorts as well.

Which brings me to Day 1....

Sept 13 - Day One: Arrival and The Magic Kingdom

Our plane left from Detroit at 9:15 am this day and we arrived in Orlando around 11:45 or so. I was extremely surprised to find no lines at DME. We did not even have to check in like we had last year in Oct and we went straight to our bus line which was also short. We were picked up within 15 minutes and were off to POP which was thankfully the first stop. Our room was ready for us upon arrival and I had asked if we could be placed in the 50's. I guess our room was not originally in the 50's so the CM made a call and got us a room there. We were in the 80's last year and I didn't really care where we were but I was hoping to try a change of scenery in a different location. We were behind the Tramp statue on the first floor in the back overlooking the lake. I liked the location and it was relatively close to the main building. The room seemed a bit more run down then I remember it being last year but it was still fine for us as we are never there anyways.

We immediately headed to the Magic Kingdom. As always - I love the Halloween decorations. The crowds seemed light and it was pretty hot but not untolerable for a first day.

We went straight back to the Columbia Harbour House to have lunch and use our first CS credit. At this time it was about 2 pm and we were starving. Briefly watched part of the show on the castle stage on our way to eat but only stopped for a minute as our mind was on the food! I had the Shrimp Platter and chocolate cake and my mom had a chicken salad and apple crisp. They were both really good and we had our fuel for the afternoon.

After lunch we hopped on the Haunted Mansion as our very first ride since we were already over there and the wait was only 5 minutes. One of my favorite rides so it was a great start to the day. Afterwards we went over to get a fast pass for BTM and then we decided to try the Country Bear Jamboree. Neither of us has ever seen this show so I was really excited to watch it. I am not sure why we have never seen it - I guess I was never all that interested in it and always felt more rushed to get the big things done first. I enjoyed it, although it is not one of my favorites by any means. I am glad that we experienced it however and I plan on doing it again on our next trip. We then went on BTM and decided to leave Splash for later or for another day if we did not get around to it.

We headed into Adventureland for Pirates (which is my favorite!) and Jungle Cruise (which I could do without but it was a nice rest under some shade). I never noticed how much I love the buildings in Adventureland. I might have to say it is my favorite area of the park overall now.

We decided to head back to Main Street to look around for a while and get ready to head over to the GF for our first TS meal at The Grand Floridian Cafe.

We caught the parade as it was just beginning. There were not a whole lot of people so we were able to watch it from the street without trying to find a seat.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

Re: Shere Khan's Trip Report: Sept 13th - Sept 19th

We headed into the little area off to the right of Main Street and heard the music lessons going on above. Something I had never heard about before and made a point to look for.

It was then off to the GF for dinner. Omg what an amazing place this is. I have never set foot here and never imagined I would, let alone eat dinner!!!

At the GF Cafe, I had the grilled pork and chocolate mousse and my mom had tuna and tiramisu. I absolutely loved this meal. My mom liked it (she likes anything and her goal was to try things she has never had, I am not that brave). I loved the roasted corn concoction that was with my pork. It was really fantastic.

After our meal we headed back to the Magic Kingdom for EMH. Wishes was already over at this time but that was ok.

We went over to Adventureland to get on Magic Carpets of Aladdin with only a 5 minute wait. Once again an attraction I have never done or had cared to do. But it was surprising really fun and doing it at night was even better.

We went over to it's a small world which is another favorite of mine. Here are some favorite shots from the ride:

Mad Tea Party was short so we jumped on that as well. My mom would not let me spin it so we just kinda sat there and stared at each other!

Lastly for the night was the TTA and SGE. TTA was fun as always and I thought it was really crazy to see Space Mountain with lights on and the terrible mess they have on the sides that you can see when you look down from the TTA.

My mom has never been on Stitch. I told her it was terrible, she still wanted to go and she thought......it was terrible. She also said the shoulder thing hurt her when it was coming down. It seemed a little forceful to me too.

This ended our night. We were tired out and ready for bed! It was a truly magical first day.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Thanks for sharing the report. You took really great photos!

Hi Katy!!!! Long time no see! So happy to see a post from you....especially since it was a trip report! Sounds like you and your Mom had a nice little trip together! Isn't the MK beautiful decked out in all of it's Halloween decorations?!?!

Nice to see you around!

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Great pics and great TR! I love the pic of the castle where the sun is shining on the side and the sky is dark!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Thanks for this report sounds fabulous. Looks like you two have a great time together and I am glad to see you back on the board.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Thanks for sharing the report. You took really great photos!
    Thanks so much for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    Hi Katy!!!! Long time no see! So happy to see a post from you....especially since it was a trip report! Sounds like you and your Mom had a nice little trip together! Isn't the MK beautiful decked out in all of it's Halloween decorations?!?!

Nice to see you around!
    Hey girl!! Thanks for the welcome back! Miss you too!!!!
    Yes the MK does look awesome, it was hotter then **** though!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic101 View Post
    Great pics and great TR! I love the pic of the castle where the sun is shining on the side and the sky is dark!
    Thanks for reading, glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    Thanks for this report sounds fabulous. Looks like you two have a great time together and I am glad to see you back on the board.
    Yes we really do.
    I miss talking with all you guys.

Sept 14th – Day Two: Animal Kingdom and Epcot

I will apologize in advance. This day seems pretty long as I am writing it.

We started out fairly early this morning and got to AK just as it was opening. We took some time walking around the Oasis while everyone rushed past. I thoroughly enjoy this area. It was a tad dark in there being early and how shaded it is so not many of my pictures really turned out, but we saw some very cool birds, an anteater, and these deerlike creatures that I can’t for the life of me remember their name though. They were super cute.
    After looking around we headed in and walked right on to It’s Tough to Be a Bug. Great show as always – one of my favorite of the 3D shows. Afterwards I had read to go off to the left on the trails rather then exit the same way as everyone else. I have never been on the Discovery Island trails, didn’t even know some of them existed and was so very glad to walk through them. There was barely anyone back there and we saw some great animals and got some great tree pics.

We then headed in to Dinoland and saw Pluto and Goofy there with no line at all. They were so cute!!!

We got on Dinosaur and I kept my eyes closed the entire time. I have learned from my past mistakes. I have only seen what has happened in this ride once and once is enough for me. Ever since I have only heard what was happening. Sorry but this thing scares the **** outta me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went on Primeval Whirl with a 5 minute wait. I really enjoy this ride. It is exactly like anything you would find in a carnival and I know some people hate this, but I just think it is good plain fun. We took some time exploring Dinoland although I regret we never made it into the Boneyard. We had plans to go back and never did. But that will give me something to do next time. I am not sure when Restaurantosaurus opened, but for about an hour we thought it was closed since we did not know where to go in and saw no one going in. It was a little later we realized it was indeed open and we went to get some lunch. I had a Mandarin Chicken Salad and Chocolate Cake and thought it was fairly good.
    We then headed into Camp Minnie Mickey to catch Festival of the Lion King. On our way we saw Koda and Kenai with no line and all the other characters (Mickey, Minnie, etc.) were packed lines. I think that no one knows who these two are. At the show, the female lead who sang Circle of Life was PHENOMENAL! Sounding that good live is amazing! I loved the show.

After this we went back over to Dinoland to see the Finding Nemo Musical which was also spectacular. I love Crush’s song. I find myself singing it all of the time.
    We headed into Asia and got fast passes for Everest and then went over to the Maharajah Jungle Trek.

I love how this statue is the outline of the mountains.

We got extremely lucky with animals all day. Even on the Safari later it seemed there were way more out. I was surprised with how hot it was.
    I love seeing the tigers on the Jungle Trek

We went on Everest and once again my mom missed the Yeti. She keeps her head down on roller coasters constantly. Although it is terribly hard to see him if you don’t know where to look. We got a fast pass again because I was determined for her to at least see a glimpse of him.
    Decided to go over to the Safari and on the way saw Flik, once again no one knew he was there.

Kilimanjaro Safaris said 20 minutes but we walked right on. Great animals once again – a lot of pictures turned out blurry with the bumpiness but I managed to get a few.

Saw some Cheetahs – barely – but I never even knew that they had these on the safari. After watching the movie Earth and seeing the dramatic Cheetah chase seen, I have been very interested in them. Beautiful creatures.

Went over the Pangani Forest and saw some more great animals.

Can you see the Hippo chomping back there? Scary!

The meerkats crack me up. I could watch them forever, they are so funny. I would love to know what they are thinking.

So we get to the gorilla part and we see these gorillas laying down behind the glass, not really doing much. People are crowding around the windows going crazy for them, but since we can’t really see them and they aren’t doing much, my mom and I decide to move on. I walk around the corner to the bridge and see the most glorious sight. There is a huge gorilla sitting on the rock just across from me. Fully visable and no one is around. He was absolutely beautiful and just amazing to see. I had to think, what is stopping this massive thing from hopping over here on this bridge to eat me!!! It really was a great sight and one of my fondest memories from the trip.

We headed back to Everest to get on again and my mom finally saw the Yeti. Very briefly. We grabbed ice cream at the snack stand on our way back to get on the train for Rafiki’s Planet Watch we saw Terk.

At Rafiki’s Planet Watch we met some more cool characters. Pocahontas, Rafiki, and Jiminy.

We also saw some people working there who were feeding an injured eagle (I think it was). It was pretty amazing, I bet it feels great to have a job like that helping animals.

On our way out of the park we stumbled across a few more Discovery Island Trails for some great photos.

We then went over to Epcot because we had dinner reservations at the Coral Reef.
    We jumped on SSE with no line as a tradition. We always start here and I love the ride. I read that when you go past the cave dwellers scene you should take a flash photo of the wall to your right for a nice surprise. I did and I didn’t get the entire thing, but it’s still pretty cool!!

Decided to be a bit silly on the ride this time.

Headed over and got on Soarin and then went over to the Seas for Nemo and Turtle Talk with Crush which we have never done. We had just enough time before our reservation. Turtle Talk was so cute. It is amazing how they do that. Watching the kids was probably the funniest part because they just thought it was hilarious.

We loved the Coral Reef – it was one of our favorites of the whole visit. I had the Catch of the Day which was Grouper on top of this creamy risotto with mushrooms. It was delicious. My mom had the Mahi Mahi and said it was delicious. For desert I tried the Strawberry Cheesecake – didn’t realize it was sugar free….it tasted sugar free…..
    Mom had Crème Brulee and wasn’t raving about it, but she said it was good.

It is funny – but I got quite a few dirty looks from people when taking pictures of my food. Apparently that is not a sophisticated thing to do at such a pricey restaurant?????

After dinner we watched Illuminations and then headed back to POP. It was at this moment that I realized I felt kind of funny. I felt something coming on. And as we will find out tomorrow. This was NOT good…

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

GREAT pics Katy!!!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Sept 15th – Day Three: Epcot & Magic Kingdom

This is where things went terribly wrong…This morning I woke up and had a TERRIBLE sore throat. My head felt like it weighed 50 pounds and it was completely stuffed up. I took my time getting up and around and we headed into Epcot.

We went right over to Sunshine Seasons and had the breakfast platter. Despite feeling terrible, I still felt somewhat hungry. We ate and the walked on to Soarin. After Soarin we jumped on Journey into Imagination and we then went to Honey I Shrunk the Audience which I have not seen since 1995 and barely remembered.
    The last 3 trips I have skipped this. Thought I would hate it and didn’t want to bother taking the time to do it. I have to say it was not terrible. Although everyone looked totally 80’s which was terrible, I like the idea and loved how the theatre moves and shakes to make you really feel as if you are tiny.

After this we went over to get a FP for Test Track and went on Universe of Energy while we waited for our fast pass time. I love Ellen and I love this ride.

Rode Test Track and decided to skip Mission:SPACE because I was beginning to feel quite nauseous and terrible. We decided to take it slow and head over into the World Showcase as it was just before noon. On our way over we saw Marie. I was so glad we got to see her and the line was not bad.

We seem to always begin on the Canada side. I have never seen any of the movies at the World Showcase (besides the one after Maelstrom). This trip was dedicated to see the things we haven’t seen so we went right into Canada’s Circle Vision. I absolutely loved this. It was so beautiful. Being from Michigan and fairly close to Canada I am about to start planning a road trip across Canada!
    One bad thing about the movie though…already feeling a bit nauseous, it did not help. I had to sit down immediately after near the Kidcot station. We sat there for quite a while as I was trying to calm my stomach, deal with my terrible cold, and the brutal heat. This day was not starting out well.
    Took a few pics of Canada

I was finding it very hard to get from country to country in the heat with how I felt. I immediately ducked in a store in the UK as soon as we made it over. Sat in the nice comfy chairs across from the Kidcot station near the back room where characters make their appearances. Saw that a line was forming so my mom jumped in line so we could see Winnie the Pooh. They arrived and we got a pic!

Afterwards we saw Alice outside and stopped to see her.

Some of the UK:

On our way to France:

Picture across the lake:

We arrived in France and we hurried into the lobby of the movie to get some relief. I was afraid that the movie would make me sicker so we turned around and left and found a seat outside. It was at this point that I realized I am going to do one of three things:

A. PASS OUT
    B. VOMIT
    C. DIE

It was really bad and I did not know what to do. Most of all I did not know how I was going to get out of this park. We began to walk back, stopping frequently to sit. It was like if I exerted any energy I had this terrible dizzy sick feeling. We made it as far as UK when my mom told me to go back into the store where the big comfy chairs were and to stay there for a minute. She found a cast member, told her what was going on, and they called the paramedics. They took me out of UK behind a cast member only door and I saw the back alley of UK. It was nothing special. Saw some cast members eating lunch and even saw the same Alice I had my picture with walk out past us. The paramedics were not the sweetest people I have ever dealt with. They asked me what I was feeling, I told them, and they said what do you want us to do about it? I was a little panicked and felt really embarrassed at the same time. My mom asked them to just take my temperature, anything else I would have to go to the hospital. If I had a fever, we were leaving and not going anywhere until I was better. No fever. My mom was convinced it was just a combination of having a cold and the terrible heat. They also thought it was heat stroke. Now to the embarrassing part, they got me a wheelchair just so I could get out of the darn place. So my mom wheeled me to the front gate. It was only a little after 1, we had dinner reservations at 4:35 for Boma. I was crying because I did not want this to ruin everything. Not to mention the Halloween Party was tonight. I was so upset! We decided we would go to AKL right then and sit in the cool lobby for the next three hours and see how I felt after that.

Some pics of AKL

After sitting, right before our reservation, I felt a bit better. We decided to eat. I did not enjoy this meal at all however. Nothing much sounded good but I had some bread and a few other things to see how it went. At the end of dinner I was ok so we went over to MK for the party. On the bus ride there I got the ill feeling again. When we got off the bus I sat and my mom went to get another wheelchair. For some reason it was mainly walking where I felt so weak. When I was in the wheelchair I was doing ok but not great. I was crying on my way in the gates, my mom talked to a CM and they suggested I go over to first aid just to get checked. So we did. At least I have seen all the first aid places now! GEESH!!! I laid down in one of the beds there for a bit, cried, and decided this was not going to ruin my party. I told my mom I was ready to go and we headed outside to find it was pouring rain.
    We put on our ponchos and we went to look for characters. I began to feel better but we took several stops.

Saw Tarzan, Rafiki, Jesse, and Mad Hatter and Alice

Thought this pic was neat:

Watched the parade, the headless horseman did not ride because the streets were wet. All of my pictures were **** but this one.

Watched the fireworks only got a few that were halfway decent.

We were told the Headless Horseman would ride at the last parade so we went all the way to parks entrance and waited so we could see him and then head back for the night. I really wanted to stay later but just couldn’t do it.

All in all I was pretty disappointed that we did not get a whole lot done. We did not go on one ride either. I wanted to see villains and did not know where to find them and missed that. But I am just grateful I went at all, I would have been devastated if I could not make the party.
    I will say I have new respect for people in wheelchairs even though I already did respect them. It is so hard to get around that place in a wheelchair or scooter, and a lot of people are just plain rude.

Thanks for reading Day 3 – Stay tuned.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...

Looks like you had an amazing trip!!! :-)
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast