Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Our 43 WDW trip is over...hits and misses.. in the Vacation Planning forums; We're new to this board but wanted to share our last experience with the readers here. We were in WDW 9/19-9/26, we had our first stay at the Wilderness Lodge ...
    grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Our 43 WDW trip is over...hits and misses..

We're new to this board but wanted to share our last experience with the readers here. We were in WDW 9/19-9/26, we had our first stay at the Wilderness Lodge villas.

To start the report, we travel from northeast Ohio to Kissimmee Florida on regular Amtrak. Amtrak being notorious for running late, ran on schedule and even early. No problems along the way, a rather pleasant trip for once. We were able to catch the earlier train out of DC and get into WDW 3.5 hours earlier then scheduled. We used the on-line check-in, but it saves no time, room isn't ready for early arrivals so it was a bust in my mind. Since our room wasn't ready, we ate at the Roaring fork, great hamburger as usual and took a boat over to CR so the wife can shop alittle. Our room was ready around 3 pm, so we head to the villas, our first stay in a studio, many times in the regular lodge and this was a new experience for us. The villas are very quiet, day and night. Room was fine, pull out sofa was comfortable but a pain to pull out and fold up. Room has alot of space, nice kitchenette and bigger fridge. What we missed was the second queen bed, second sink in the bath area and the bigger TV. Housekeeping was great, never saw them the whole trip, we were out the door by 8:30am and back by 1pm and our room was always made up by then. We used the bus transportation mostly, boat dock was a farther poke of a walk but we used it returning from the MK. Pool was never crowded, main pool was packed alot but the villas, with no slide was hardly filled, we enjoyed it alot, very easy to get a table and chairs.

Parks were not very crowded. Weekends are packed after 11 am but the weekdays were fantastic, we make rope drop most days at all parks and walked to the attractions by ourselves and right on. By the 1pm hour we noticed the people getting thicker and by then, we had our fill for the morning and it was quite hot by then and we go back to the resort. We venture back out around 5--6pm and crowds are quite manageable but the parks close early this time of year, plus with the MNSSHP nights, the MK is closed evening alot.

Dining........this free dining is killing the restaurants. We're not fans of the free dining and we can see why after this trip. Weekends are the worst. We talked to many of guests who were on the plan, arrive alittle early to check in and then sit and wait 30 minutes and longer to get seated, throw that in with placing your order and waiting for food to arrive and then dining and waiting for the bill, eats up an easy 2 hours. We like our plan better, never cared for Disney signature TS restaurants, we have breakfast at the food courts, we usually split all meals, too much food and for lunch we have a pool picnic with groceries we picked up in route to the resort and we can easily find some CS dinners we like better than TS meals. We don't like a vacation with schedules and times.

I've read another board and all the gripes about maids, rooms, CM's, bus service and what not and have to say, it's all bunk. Everything about this stay was perfect. The cast members from check in, food servers, mousekeepers we very friendly and always saying good morning and hello. Bus service from the Lodge was ideal, small usual waits, and we were mostly on the buses by ourselves. What we did notice was an awful lost of strollers and pre-school children. Babies all over the property, no problem but never noticed this many and children are "funny".

To sum it all up, we're not happy to be home. Just told my wife I was going to the pool for a few drinks and to cool off, she got a chuckle out of it and said, "why did we leave", lets go back. Guess we're going to have to get trip 44 in the works. We're in Ohio and it's in the 60's, dank, high winds and acorns bouncing off the roof, miserable, where's that 90+ degree weather we left? The weather for our week was perfect, nice and hot, one drizzle for 30 minutes one day, no hurricanes, just ideal the whole week.

We had the time of our lives, enjoyed every minute of our stay and didn't want or need for anything. I've read so many negative posts on different forums but from my perspective, it was all Bologna. We saw no down sizing of cast members or buses. Air conditioning was the same in all the attractions as before, no attraction breakdowns and no garbage or clutter in the parks. Up-keep was to Disneys perfection, painting going on all over, crews planting, mowing and making the World perfect for everyone. Our room was like new, no wear and tear, no bedbugs, snakes or geckos. I'm going to stop reading the negative posts, they were starting to get me worried before we left to what the world was turning into but we had no line crashers, rude guests or CM's, absolutely no problems of any kind, just an ideal stay at Mickeys World.

Go, have fun and leave your inhibitions at home, become a kid again and see the world thru their eyes. relax and let the magic come to you and don't look for the negatives in a trip, it's only what you make of it and you can only fear, fear itself. We had a blast!
    Last edited by grumpy of ohio; 10-03-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: grammar

ChrisX is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Our 43 WDW trip is over...hits and misses..

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Glad to hear your honest opinion on the dining plan and that everything else was up to Disney standards!

thokecin is offline And really bad eggs...

Thanks for the report! Glad you had a great time!!!
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."

–Walt Disney

8 trips and counting!!!

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder

Sounds like you had a great time! Great report!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Great report, thanks.

mindy0509 is offline A-Ticket holder

I was there the same week and completly agree with the free dining. I am not a fan of it at all.
    This was the first time we went in September (for my husband's 30th birthday) and will probably be the last time we go in September. Don't get me wrong we had a great time!! The crowd levels were very low and we were able to walk right on almost everything. It was just sooooo hot and humid! We usually visit the world in May and the humidity is not nearly as high.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy0509 View Post
    I was there the same week and completly agree with the free dining. I am not a fan of it at all.
    This was the first time we went in September (for my husband's 30th birthday) and will probably be the last time we go in September. Don't get me wrong we had a great time!! The crowd levels were very low and we were able to walk right on almost everything. It was just sooooo hot and humid! We usually visit the world in May and the humidity is not nearly as high.
    September is not our choice time either, we like October better. We've done just about every month, ruled out the spring months, we like the heat for swimming, being from the north, vacation time means we're going to spend time at a pool with drinks. Summer months are definitely a no go, too many people and way too hot. Fall seems to be our months of choice. this past trip wasn't too too bad, yes it was hot and humid but not unbearable, we always break mid day no matter what, we do the parks in a moderate way and after all the trips, we see and do our favorites and throw in some attractions we're not into depending on the crowds. As I said, the weather was beautiful, what you expect from a September Florida trip and here at home, it's 53 degrees, what a difference. Told my wife, as soon as our vacation clothes are washed and dry, pack up, we're going back.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Great trip report and nice to hear everything is up to standard.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Thanks everyone who posted.. The Lodge is worth every penny, way better than the AKL, so much closer to everything and alot easier to get around. We've have over 10 stays here and I don't see us going anywhere else, it's perfect, has everything we could want or need and hasn't been a problem in all tihs time. I forgot to mention, each night by the marina CM booth, they set up a screen and lounge chairs and show nightly movies around 7 pm or so, word of caution, you're close to the wilderness and the bug count was high, plan on using insect repellant, just watching the MK fireworks from there one night got us some nasty leg bites as usual. Pop some pop corn in the food court, grab some drinks and watch a Disney flick.