Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Three road races , Two Anniverary's and One happy Two year old. in the Vacation Planning forums; I know that I am a day late getting this posted but It was a LONG day yesterday. We started the day at 2 am my little one was up ...
    emilyrose0507 is offline A-Ticket holder

Three road races , Two Anniverary's and One happy Two year old.

I know that I am a day late getting this posted but It was a LONG day yesterday. We started the day at 2 am my little one was up for more to drink and I had to get up 3 so there was no real point in my going back to sleep. So At three I was up and getting my self going for the day. Our plane did not leave Boston till seven but with a two year old more time is a good thing. I have never been to Logan airport but it was cheaper then flying out of Hartford, So to Boston we went the night before. By 4:20 the whole family( mother and Father in law, my husband and my daughter and my self) were ready and out the door. At that time in the morning NO one is at Logan airport. The flight down was good miss thing took a little nap ( across our seats). The luggage Gods were with us and they were the fist ones off. We are staying this time at All Star Vacation homes and LOVE it. We got our rental car from the too and got a great deal on it. If you looking for a good size place and have a rental car this is the place for you. We got to the main office and picked up the box that we had sent down for us. It was lunch so we headed to cracker barrel for lunch. Half way thought Miss thing was about to fall face first into her lunch. So we went to find the condo that were at and then left dad and grandpa back in the condo with a sleeping toddler. Being able to go and buy the food that you know that you will eat and that you know that you like is a big help. With a toddler it is a good thing having the things to eat that I know that she will eat.
    By 3:30 we were heading back to the condo and getting ready for MNSSHP. This is the third time for me and my husband but only the second time for everyone else. And last year my daughter got sick half way through it and we had to leave early. this year we were dress in Kimono's and by the end of the night we were missing a layer or two. But we had a blast all of uf. Our daughter had a blast and was up the whole time. She rode Dumbo and Aladdin's carpets for the first time. And love Pirates and Haunted as well. She got to dance with a few Chartes and even went to say hi to one of them. This is a big thing for her she is shy and last year screamed at them. ( Yes Scopa she was one of THOSE kid.) We were in bed my 11. Ok now back to the condo.. We love it. from the beds to the pool( that is salt water) to the staff. I will be staying here again. Just having the kitchen and the three bedrooms you do not feel like your on top of each other all the time. And when it is time for my daughter to go to bed it is a snap.
    So on the second day we started out to get our Disney Chase Points. What we did not know is the you can do that at guest services now... But when we pulled into the parking lot my daughter saw the hot air balloon and that was it. She wanted up and there was not a line so( yeah you can call me a ****er..) It was so nice we might go back up with our camera at the end of the week. After we got the Visa points card and the Table of Wonderland card it was off to the Studios. The touring plans ( ding) said it was a 4 they lied... But we still had a great time. We saw almost all that we wanted to and had lunch for the first time at Mom Melrose's very good. We had to get to the Wide world of sports to get everything for the race that is tomorrow . Our daughter is running the kids race and can not wait. My mother in law and I are running the 5 k and my husband and father in law are running the 13 K. We getting a sitter from Kids night put to stay with our daughter. We used them last year and the kids did not have a problem at all.
    I will let you know how we did at the race and if any of you are going to be there, and if you hear anyone being called at the award ceremony from Brooklyn , Ct by the last name of Jolley that is us. See you all there and talk to you later.. p.s sorry about any spelling...( long day at the world.)

Re: Three road races , Two Anniverary's and One happy Two year old.

I am so sorry that it has taken me this long to get back to you all. It has been a very busy trip, there were a few things that I was not happy about at all. I know that it sounds odd. But it is true there were a few things that just made our vacation go from great to not so great. That one thing was the Tower of Terror Road race.
    My daughter ran the kids race in the morning it was cute. But whoever thought that having a race for one to three year old's at noon needs to have their heads checked. The poor things had to wait in the sun for 15 min. So now they were hot and tired and hungry. It was not nice when one child started to cry you know that they all would.... But when the race started parents were picking their children up and running with them. They were knocking over then children who were trying to run on their own. In the end it was cute if your child was not run over.
    The rest of the day we did not do all that much because of the 13k that night. Last year we just made it to the race in time so we went early this year. We used kids night out again this year for our babysitter. Once again they were great I will use them any time we get down there. We were one of the first people at the race. So we had a lot of time on our hands. We got to meet a few of the EMTS that were on bikes. They were great and help us out alittle later that night. T
    he fact that this year there was clues that you were to find before and during the race was a joke. It did not go over that well at all. I know most of the runners that we talked to were not going to look for the clues at all. You could tell that this was the last year for this race they gave up. The shirts were awful to say the least. also last year they had music on the race course and this year when I ran the 5k there was nothing. Very sad... there was only one water stop in the 5k and lot of people were looking for more. The last straw was when the awards were given out they only gave then out to the Open class and the military. The rest were going to get mailed to them. This is when Alot of people got mad. They stayed around to hear the press conference about who took Stone Grant. That was a waste of time... But the reason they told us that the awards were being mailed was because it took them too long last year to give them out. If your a runner and you think you might get an award you will stay around with no problem. There wee a lot of mad people. And all that time that we wasted listening to the press conference the rides were packed. With the 5000 runners and their family there it was packed. At the same time my father in law who placed first in the 55-59 age group was mad, and my mother in law hurt her ankle during the race so we left right after that. On the way out we ran into the EMTs that we had met before and they helped us out with an Ace bandage for my mothers ankle.
    All in all I know of a lot of runners who were going to run next years race that said they had thought about it after that night and are now not going to run it. It is a shame.. I know that the marathon is done well, and hope that the next race will be done just as well but we will have to see. Also I know that I am not happy that the race next year the 5K is a fun run, not a real race.... Were still thinking about that one...
    The one saving grace that we had every night of this trip was the condo. It was great. We stayed at Windsor Hill Resort through All Star Vacation Homes. It was beautiful the rooms were huge and the washer and dryer were a plus. The pool i could go on and on about the pool... the water in the condo did not have the smell of chlorine like the Disney places do. I will put it this was my in laws loved it so much they booked their January trip to the world at another all Star place. They received a free night for booking while on this trip plus 10% off that trip because their returning customers. Disney does not do that. Plus they have great rates on rental cars. All week long when I was in line and talking to people they would ask where I was staying. As soon as you say off property you get that look. till I told them how much room we had and how much we paid for it all. Some were writing down the name in their phones... For my in laws it will be a 3,3500 dollar savings... they stay at the beach club normally, on the top floor.
    We also are AP members now so we got the tables of wonderland card. We only ate one meal a day at the parks but by the time we left we saved enough to cover the cost of the card plus a few bucks more. And the card is good till next November, and we were only a family of four..
    The one thing about not staying off property was that i did not feel the need to be at one of the parks all the time. We went in early ( about 9) most of the days but there were a few that we did not get there till 11. This trip was different then that last ones that I have taken. It was mostly about our little princess. As well as doing a few things that we have not done before. We rode Dumbo and the magic carpets, we went into the bone yard in AK and loved it... We saw the Lion King and finding Nemo. We played in the water in toon town and sat and laughed at my two year old getting a kick of watching the people come down Splash Mt. We tried Trails End and Loved it..... 4 Stars in our book. We also just took in the sights and sounds and had a blast eating Mickey shaped ice cream. When I wanted a hot fudge sunday we went to the Ice cream palace in MK. They have rice dream Ice cream, i can only have so much milk. they are sweet hearts when it comes to taking care of this. they have an allergy free room in the back, it takes a little longer but it is worth it in the end.
    On one of the days when we were sitting in AK I heard something that I could not believe. Two couples were sitting by us and were talking how for the third night of their stay they were going to MNSSP. Ok I thought they must love it and be paying through the nose. Yeah not so much. They go in the day time before they check for the MNSSP tickets and keep their wrist bands in their bags. Then they slip them on later on and hit all the rides and candy at night. I could not believe that people would do this, not once but three times.... And they were about my age 30 or so... Very sad in my book.
    But now on to a different note. As soon as we got into MK my two year old was all about the pirates and the haunted mansion. She loves them, and so do we but hearing yo ho yo ho all night long gets a little old.... I have found out that keeping her sun glass with us at night was a good thing too. While watching the fires works one night she said that it was too bright and hide her face. As soon as the glasses were on she loved the rest of the show... i never gave it a thought to try that... I know that I had asked you all about different ideas about how to keep my little one safe while in the parks. Thanks for all the great ideas. We went with a 3x5 card size card with her favorite princess on it for the front. And on the back was her name and age and all four of our names and cell phone numbers. When we got into the park the first day I walked up to a cast member with her and tried to tell her that this is someone you go to is you can not find mom or daddy. That it was ok for her to talk to them. We them bought a small a lanyard and a few princess pins to go on it. It became her pretty and she was looking for it every morning to wear. Thank God that we never had to us the card. But I was very happy that when she was pin trading with a cast member she flipped the card over and said this is me... The last day when we were on the finale hunt for Daisy we were talking to a family in front of us and told the grand mother the same thing. She showed her the card and said this is me. Well the grandmother was a cast member on her day off and loved the idea. She had seen lot of odd ways to ID children and was going to tell parents about this one. On the way out of the MK that day there was an Amber Alert from the MK to the TTC. so the monorail was only letting people on and off on way and we heard that there was the Amber Alert so we understood why they were doing the things they were. but a family in our car form England had no clue and were getting upset.. We had to tell them that they were looking for a lost child and that is why things were being done this way. After that they were fine but had no clue at all what the Amber Alert meant. They did find the child at the TTC so the rest of the monorails were ok.
    I noticed alot this trip about how much the cast members do or how much I guess I should say that they go out of their way to help us. One time when my daughter said thank you to one of the ladies cleaning the bathrooms ( why she said thank you I have no clue) the woman smile and said that that was the first time in a while she had heard that. When we were out in Epcot on our Anniversary we went to the American adventure ( out little one needed to cool off and take a nap) when we were on the way out we were told that we had a phone call for us and it was from Mickey and Minnie wishing us a happy anniversary. It was very cute. But on the night we went to Paris for my in laws anniversary we got free frog soup... Lucky us..... One our last day we went looking for the princess and we hit pay dirt. No line and out little one had 5 min with each one. It was so nice and we got some great pictures to go with it. It was funny two days before that she was scared of Winnie the pooh. when we went to get the pictures with him I was holding on to her and daddy was by our side. The camera man had Pooh and Tigger say back till the whole family was there then step into the picture. I thanked them very much. And then we found Pluto and Goofy, the handler noticed that she was still a little scared so he signed to them that she was scared and they were soooo nice to her. The fact that they did that was beyond anything I would have expected but this is Disney... So when she got to meet her princess she was. at a full run to see them. I have a lot of great pics that I want to add later. But the time that they cast members took for her was outstanding
    All in all we had a wonderful time and can not wait to go back again. I know that there are things that I have missed and i hope to add them soon. i am sorry that I did not get to meet any one from here on this trip but I hope to on the next one.....
    Last edited by emilyrose0507; 11-01-2009 at 07:23 PM.

I am sorry about the dates being off i had written this down as I was going along and I was writing from my notes. Love the site...

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Nice report, thanks for sharing! We're going down with our two year old in March, your card with phone numbers is a great idea. I learned that taking a picture of your child in the morning before hitting the parks is another great idea, that way you can just pull out your digital camera and show the Castmembers exactly what your child looks like, but hopefully that would never happen. One question, how was your experience using the Chase Visa points? Did you get your rewards card in the mail beforehand or can you get the card at guest services (or just add points to an existing card)? I plan on using points on our trip, and want to wait as long as possible to redeem them so we can use the most points. Thanks!

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

we just went to guest services on the day we got there. And loved using the points. Last year when we were there er payed for all of our meals with it. you will love Port Orleans Riverside. We stayed there last year and we missed the pasta from there this year. FYI two people can share an order of pasta from the food court. And your little one will love the pool and the play ground. We stayed in Building 37 and it was great. ashort walk for food and right by parking. I hope you have a great trip and if you have any questions about things for little ones I will help you as much as I can.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Very thorough report, enjoyed reading.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Wow, Emily, this sounds like you al had a great time.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

My father in law just received his award for winning first in his age group for the tower of terror road race. A little plaque that was it. His time was 53 min and that is what he got. So what they were saying was that if you were not in the open age group then you get the cheaper award. What a joke. I know that there were a lot of runners that were not very happy with the way it was ran. And are not going to run next year until they see how this next race will be run. But a few runners are not happy with the relay part that you can do. You are going to have people in the race that can not make it all they way through the race, So they will be getting in the way of the runners that can. You know that they will not be getting in the right spot of the start line. And you will have to push your way past them. I know that for the 1/2 marathon in January you have to have a 10k time so they know where to place you in the right spot. They should have the same thing for this race. One start for those who will be running the whole thing and one for those who will be doing the relay. And i hope that they have different finish lines too. Other wise that will not be far at all. They have alot of bugs that will need to be worked out or it will be a huge mess..