Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Veri's Disneyland Trip FEB10 in the Vacation Planning forums; OK, I've been remiss on trip reports ( i never did one for the October WDW trip) but I'm redeeming myself with a report on our frist trip to Disneyland. ...
    Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Veri's Disneyland Trip FEB10

OK, I've been remiss on trip reports ( i never did one for the October WDW trip) but I'm redeeming myself with a report on our frist trip to Disneyland.

To start neither my better half and I have ever been to California or DL before, so it was a first on two levels.

One thing I want to address right off is the WDW vs. DL expecatations questions. We were in no way disappointed in DL. Yes it is much smaller, two parsk vs four, no water parks and Downtown is much smaller. The other hald of the equations is that it has many big draws (Indiana Jones Adventure ride, Matterhorn which was closed while we were there, a Tower of Terror, Soarin, etc.). One very nice aspect of DL is that becaus eit is much smaller you cna walk to anyhting n no time at all. There is almost no need at all to plan much more than heading somewhere about a half hour before you need to get there. No making time allotments for the Disney bus.

OK. Witht hat I want to do a few comparisons just tog et them out of the way.

Cinderella Castle is way bigger than Sleeping Beauty Castle, though SB castle has a very nice walk through.

The Haunted Mansion in WDW is better I think, especially after the refurb. Mostly the themeing.

POTC is better at DL, it has more scenes, and the bayou to caribean transistion is very interesting.

Big Thunder Mountain is pretty much the same.

Space Mountain in DL is better, less jerky and you can ride side by side

Soaring is the same in both places

DL has no hall of Presidents or american Adeventure, but greta Moments with Mr. Lincoln is fantastic, and many elements are shared between American Adventure and Great Moments

I liked WDW Splash Mountain better ebcasue you cna ride side by side

I think it's a toss up between the two Towers of Terror. WDW is more involved and DL gets right to the point

WDW Monorails is a bigger experience, as it actually travels to destination, Dl is basically a ride between Down Town and Tomorrow Land

Buss Light Year in DL has differnt lazer shooters, but it's the same ride, same for Midway Mania, slightly differnt themeing but the same experience.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Re: Veri's Disneyland Trip FEB10

Part two

Disney's California Adventure. There are those who depsie the palce and others who like it fine. Personally I thought it was fine. I can't say is is a great park, but I cna't gripe about it. Theya re working very hard to Disney theme it. Cars land, World of Color and the Ariel Adventure are going to raise the profile of this park ina big way. The Holly Wood Studios section Confor Flat, and grizzly Run are just as good as and lands on any otehr aprks, Bug's lIfe is a typical Disney little kids section and Paradse pier si getting a makeover. Pacific Warf Left em wonders as it is basicallt a giant food court, and Wine Country tratoria was clsoed whiel we were there. Blue Sky Cellar is a greta feayture thoughm, nice to see future palns for Disney.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Welcome back! Did you get a chance to try out Ralph Brennan's?

OK now for the trip report

Day One Sunday. left JFK at 5ish arrived LAX about 9ish local time. (ended up be a verly long 6 and half hour flight). Took the Disneyland Express (not free like magical Express) from LAX to Anaheim. Very convenient, $62 total round trip for the both of us.

Checked into DVC Villas at Grand Californian. Typical studio, though very new and slightly upgraded amentities. Grand Claifornian is very nice, evokes Wildnerness Lodge, just a bit smaller. Unpacked and went to sleep.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Welcome back! Did you get a chance to try out Ralph Brennan's?

Thanx!

Didn
    t get there, ended up at Hook's Point, Steak House 55, Napa Rose and Story tellers for dinner, usually did quick lunches. Jake called and offerd to coem up Thursday night, but I told him I didn't want him to drive an hour and half and then back on a school night. Talked to hoim for a bit though, sounds liek he's working way too hard.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

I kept telling him to call you, glad he finally did! I really liked the Grand Californian, kinda cool to be walking distance from everything, wasn't it?

P.S. If he's not working, he's studying!

Day two

Up at 7ish, wandered down to the gym pretended to work out and grabbed breakfast at the GC quick stop. Then at 930 wandered over to Disney Land (which some folks were referrignto as the magic Kingdom oddly enough) for the 10 AM Opening. We were pretty excited as it was out first park and it is the orginal. We were lucky to have very light crowds. After some quick pictures we headed to Indiana Jones for a fast pass, went to POTC, enjoyed it immensley and then hit the Haunted Mnasion. Wandered over to Nemo's Submarine Voyage (for ou r longest wait of the day 20 minutes) and back over to Indiana Jones.

As noted before POTC at DL is more interesting with some extra scenes. The Submarine Voyage was just plain fun. Haunted mnsion was fun, but I still have a soft spot for WDW as the themeing outside really let's you know it's the HM, while in DL it looks very pristine.

Forgot to add a twirl on Space Mountain. We really liekd the side by side seating and the theming was very very good. Haven't been on SM at WDW in a while will have to check it out next time.

Indiana Jones is a great attraction, I know it is usually compared to Dinsosaur, but I think it's better, The theming is amazing with all sorts of gags in the waiting line.

We had a very nice lunch at Blue Bayou, if you go , try this place it was very good. I had crab cakes, my Better Half had a citrus chicken type dish and we split a nice piece of chocolate cake

After we tok a spin on the monorail, and decided it was time for a nap, We walked back to Grand Cali (I really cannot emphasize enough how nice it is to walk to and fro at will) and had a nap. at 6 we went to Napa Rose in grand Cali for dinner ( I had lamb, MBH had a short rib). Absolutely stuffed from dinner we wlaked to Down Town Disney and just wandered. After listening to music and watching the goings on we called it a day.
    Last edited by Veritas; 02-12-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

I kept telling him to call you, glad he finally did! I really liked the Grand Californian, kinda cool to be walking distance from everything, wasn't it?

P.S. If he's not working, he's studying!
    Thw walking distacne thing was great. It'sne fo things that really sold me on the whole place.

That fella works way too hard!
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

So fun to relive my own trips through your posts! Blue Bayou is great, really enjoyed the romantic atmosphere (company wasn't bad either).

Did you bang your head in the monorail? haha!

California Screamin' is one of my favorites at CA, did you ride it? Are the Silly Symphony swings open? Never got to go on Nemo, the lines were always 45 minutes plus and the CMs said it wasn't really worth waiting that long, to try and go when the lines are shorter. Maybe next visit!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Thanks for the report.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Reading this makes me miss DL so much... Glad you had a good time! can't wait to read more
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

California Screamin' is one of my favorites at CA, did you ride it? Are the Silly Symphony swings open? Never got to go on Nemo, the lines were always 45 minutes plus and the CMs said it wasn't really worth waiting that long, to try and go when the lines are shorter. Maybe next visit!

We skipped California Screamin, Kimster got woozy just looking at it. they were still refurboing Silly Symphoney Swings. TRhey were testing world of color though, that is pretty amazing. I liked the Nemo subs, pretty much because it sparks memories of 20K Under the Sea at WDW.

When do you think you'll wander back out to California?
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

I really don't know! Depends on if the fella can get some leave, he owes me a visit and he knows it. If all else fails, I am always up for a trip to Cali, love it over there!

I think Cali Screamin' is sooooo much better than RnRC ride wise. I do love the Aerosmith theming at HS though.

Day 3

We were up and at it by 7ish, hit the gym and got ready for 0900 DL opening (early opening on TUE and THUR). On this second day we concrnetrated on stuff like Story Book Canal Boats, the DL Rail road, BTMRR, redid, Haunted Mansion and POTC, but we started the day at Greta Moments with Mr Lincoln. It was great. A lot of the same material is used in teh American Adventure, in fact thye have minatures of the AA statutues in the waiting area, one CM gave us some insight that the facess are all imagineers or people who were invovled in creating the American adventure. They do a lot of cross fertilization between the parks. I have to admit that i like great Moments betetr than the Hall of presdients (funny to admit that) but AA is still the bit hit for getting Red White and Blue pumping through my veins.

We did a lot of browsing in the stores got some must have itesm to include my wonderful wife authorized the purchade of the large Mickey Salutes America figurine. Wer had it shipped and I was very very pleased.

For lunch we went to the DL version of Pinochios Village Haus. I had a pretty good Chef's Salad, Kimster had a bacon cheese burger. From there some time in Toon Town whoich though smallert hat WDW seems more "townish" if thta makes sense. Quite few neat gags (push doorbells if you get there). We wandered that back sid eof frontier land, spent a few tokens at the shooting gallery and then cruised down main street. Some required pictures were taken and it was back tot eh hotel for a nap.

Dinner that night was at Steak House 55. We both had the Porterhouse. Another great dining experience. On a side note while DL doesn't have the sheer number of dining options it does have very good ones.. After dinner yet another stroll arounf Down Town Disney and another great day was had.
    Last edited by Veritas; 02-12-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast