Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Our first Bro & Sis WDW vacay in the Vacation Planning forums; I'll prefice everything with this, I should've rented an EVC for the duration of the trip. Bad heart; I can ride the rides, which I did, but the walking is ...
    04CP_ Nolan is offline Dole Float + POTC= Good Day

Thumbs up Our first Bro & Sis WDW vacay

I'll prefice everything with this, I should've rented an EVC for the duration of the trip. Bad heart; I can ride the rides, which I did, but the walking is REALLY hard on me.
    Being back in the world of "reality" I thought I should go ahead and write up a trip report. First off, it was a great trip that allowed my sister and I to do everything we wanted and not worry about all the family. This, as you would imagine, made things less stressful in that respect.
    Well to start off, Stephanie Hudson with MEI/Mouse Fan Travel was awesome to work with and she was able to change our tickets so we would receive the $300 gift card promotion.
    We left TN on sunday February 7th and got into Orlando Int. at about 1:45 in the afternoon. Since we were taking the DME we just headed down to the pickup area to check-in, which was a rather quick process. Our bags had the luggage tag things so the DME people picked them up for us. The ride on the DME bus was cool and didn't take very long to get to it's stops. We were booked for the All-Star Movies and actually got there within about 30 minutes, and that was with a nearly full bus.
    Since our check-in was at 3:00 we decided to hit the "World Premiere Food Court" since hadn't really eaten that day. All things considered the food was good but the place was packed with groups from either around the world or the special events groups. After we ate we headed over to check-in and waited for about 30 minutes, I thought they should've gotten a couple more people up to the front, but what can I do... After we checked in we walked over to our room in Might Ducks only to find that we had received a room with a king bed. I love my sister, but that's really pushin it, so I called the desk and let them know. Thankfully within about 4 minutes of waiting on the phone they had us switched to the correct room. Once we got our room cards changed over we checked on our bags to make sure they wouldn't be delivered to the wrong room, but all was good and we headed back to our new room.
    We decided to rest for a bit before heading to our ADR at Boma for 6:40 that night. Another hiccup came when my sister decided she had to get prettified and change about 20 minutes before we had to leave, . Well this took A WHILE and we had to go to a park to transfer buses, we didn't wanna have to get a cab. This takes us to the next hiccup, when we reached AKL we hopped off the bus at the bus stop which was Kidani I believe. We thought it was odd that only one other person got off the bus, but we went inside to the desk and asked where to find Boma, . We looked at the bus stop, but had to hoof it over to Jambo and that is in no way a fun walk... especially if you have a bad heart and it's cold. Once we finally got to Boma, about 15 minutes late, we got a table and the grubbin was on. I enjoyed the food at Boma, though it felt like I could get the same food at any slightly authentic African restaurant. I must say though, the Tropical Fruit Mousse things for dessert are amazing.
    After dinner we decided to make use of the EMH at MK that night for our hotel. The bus ride over was quick and we had no problems getting in, after a quick stop at Guest Relations we headed out to the rides while the Electrical Parade was going on. Our first stop was at Space Mountain, which I actually enjoyed more than the first two times I rode it. Granted I've only been on the ride a total of 3 times now, bad experience as a little kid. Once we did that we headed to Fantasyland, my old stomping grounds, and did Philharmagic were we got to sit in about the 5th row which is the closest I've ever been in that attraction. Next was Snow White, never ridden before, which was ok though really fast. Our next stop was IASW, according to my sister I rode it when I was REALLY little yet I still say this was my first time. I'll be honest, it's an "ok, I've done it and I don't care if I do it again." ride for me. After IASW you'd think we'd go to HM, but NO we did the Hall of Presidents. It was the first time I'd seen it after the work they did on it, and I really enjoyed it. It's still as freaky as ever to see all of them just looking around and everything. Once we were done there, we headed over to Adventureland for some POTC . Unfortunately for my sister I qouted most of the lines the entire way. I can't help it, I love that ride . Next came Country Bear Jamboree, which I still take slight offense to being a southerner. It doesn't stop me from laughing at some of the jokes though, . Now we come to our visit at HM, the reason we waited of course was to be able to say we did Midnight Haunted Mansion . When we reached the front door a "gentlemen" stepped out to let us enter and this was the tallest guy I've ever seen there, he had to be pushing 6' 6". Me being the bright one I am stated "man you're really big." as we went by, to his credit and training he replied "no, you're just very little.". My sister and I cracked up when he said it and we made our way onto the ride. We did get stuck in line for a bit, whether it was a transfer or something broke we don't know. During the ride we did notice that most of the lighting in the graveyard was not on. Once we completed this ride we made our way out of the park as we wanted to get some rest before going to another park the next day.
    In all of this I have to mention that the lines, even before EMH started, were really not bad at all. This was something that repeated itself quite often during our stay. Now I believe it would be best to make another post to go over our second day in WDW as this is getting looooong.

Re: Our first Bro & Sis WDW vacay

DAY 2
    Monday we decided that it would be a day for Animal Kingdom seeing as how it was sunny and nice out. After getting to the park about 10am we headed over to Everest to at least get fastpasses. On our way over we saw Dinoland U.S.A. and figured "why not?", since we've never been in that area before. Our first stop was at Dinosaur, . It's a bit jerky and kinda rough, but it's way better than the dino ride at the park that shall not be named. The audio animatronics were great and it was just a really fun ride. The huge dino they have in the queue was amazing to look at too. After our excursion into Dinoland we continued our trek to Everest only to stop and watch the Finding Nemo Musical. I'm not a real fan of Nemo, but it was a very well done show. The mix of live actors and puppets worked really well and the music was great. I am a fan of Crush however, he's the only character I can really get behind. It was really cool seeing him like that. Once we got out of the show we completed our trek to Everest and found like a 120 minute wait time, fastpasses were quickly picked up. We decided to do the safari and headed over to Africa, but got stuck in a pile-up of about 60 people. Once we took a better look we saw one of the trees moving and looking around . We had finally found the infamous D'Vine, hope that's how you spell it, and there was a HUGE crowd just watching her. We took a couple pics and watched in awe as she literally disappeared several times in front of us just by standing among the trees. There were some cheerleaders for the upcoming competition there and I heard one girl say, "oh wow, now that's good she has talent." D'Vine was doing a split thing while standing on one stilt, I of course just thought "yeah, and you wish you could do that." There were those of course who don't understand the "art performance" kind of thing you find at Disney, "that's just really freaky". Anyway, we got over to the Safari and had a really good ride. I videotaped the journey and the two Guinea Fowls that blocked the road for a couple minutes and screamed at us. We also had another hold up by an ostrich, our driver wasn't having the best of luck with birds that day. We also got to see one of the white rhinos standing right next to the road. Everyone knows how bumpy the safari is, so I'm sure seasickness will occur when the family watches our tape. After the safari we had lunch at Flame Tree Barbecue and it was great. My sister had the barbecue chicken salad and I had to do ribs. The only real annoyance was how they have their seating and placement of condiment bars. After lunch we headed to the Tree of Life and took in the Tough to be a Bug show, I enjoy the attraction though I'm not a big fan of the stingers. After the first time I did that show I always move when that part comes up. After we were done here we headed to Everest for our fastpass time and came upon an interesting site. Everest was 1-0-1 with a train at the top of the first incline and others inside the mountain. Getting to watch this was interesting even though it took a while to get everyone off and then about an hour to fix it. I did hear a comment that made me think "you just have no brain." A girl of about 13 was arguing with her sister and said "of course they jumped, how else would they get off of it?!" yelling this of course . Once the ride was reopened the only opened the fastpass line since there was a big line of people with them, this of course set off a few people. Well we got on and got to watch them struggle with the station release to let the train before us move out. That just made me smile and think, "this could be an interesting ride.", but we didn't get stuck (darn). I did however get my videocamera out for the ride . Once we were done it was time to close up for the day so we headed back to the hotel and to get some dinner.
    At that, I believe I'll take a break before starting on day 3. This wasn't the most fun day of our trip.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Enjoyed your trip report so far and looking forward to the rest.

DAY 3
    Well here we are at day 3. Every day of our trip I was waking up early, of course, and getting ready for the parks as well as checking the weather. On this day rain was in the air for most of the afternoon hours. I had a jacket that's pretty good for rainy weather so I wasn't really worried all that much, . Like I've mentioned before, I do have heart problems and the walking was getting to me by this day. I know, I should've gotten a wheelchair or an EVC but I didn't want my sister to have to push a chair and I know people would've gotten ticked seeing me getting off an EVC to ride the rides. I've experienced it before and would rather not go through the "hullabaloo" again. We decided that we'd go to DHS and have some fun and try to experience things we've never done before. As soon as we got there we headed back to TSMM and got fastpasses. Since we were there we checked the stand-by line and saw it was at 30 minutes, ok we'll jump in line now as well. The time was off by at least 15 minutes, they also need to include a 2-3 minute buffer as so many people stop to take pics with Mr. Potato Head. This was our first time EVER riding this ride and I really enjoyed it, though I didn't really look around much at anything but the targets during the ride.... focused, lol. Yes I did beat my sister, with a score of like 89,000; I might've gotten better if I'd ridden it more. After we got off the ride we wanted to check out the Walt Disney Animation attraction which we enjoyed, I remember going through the tour when I was little and they were actually working on stuff for Tarzan at the time. After we got done there I was hoping to do the Animation Academy, my sister didn't wanna go because nobody else was waiting on it.... . I should've just gone at sat down and left her to do her own thing. By now the rains hit and people just kind of huddled in any area they could find. We of course didn't and went in search of lunch, our goal being to get into Mama Melrose. When we got there it was a big line and of course by this time they were only seating ADRs, go figure. Our next stop was to try out ABC Commisary, which neither of us had ever been in before. My sister ordered one of the sandwiches and I got the chicken curry, . I've never had curry before so it was totally new to me, but the cinammon in it was strong in not only taste, but in smell as well. It was an ok dish, though I don't think I'll get it again to be honest. After lunch we decided, being the brilliant people we are, to go over and ride TOT. Neither of us gets sick easily on rides, and no we didn't on this one sorry. By this point the rain and cold were getting to me pretty bad and I was walking VERY slowly, the weather always makes it even harder on me. We got on TOT and did have a pretty good ride, the only downside being the group of about 8 young ladies from S. America riding with us. I have no problem with people of other nationalities, but I hate going on a ride or in an attraction and having people carry on loud conversations or talking on cell phones. I love the library part of TOT and it wasn't easily heard let's put it that way. We were also in the same ride car since my sister just followed them to the first one instead of going down to the next line, . After we got done with TOT we headed over to Rn'R, the wait times up until now were really good even though TSMM was a bit long. Several rides were almost walk-on which was very nice. Once we got done with Rn'R I was barely walking, more like shuffling my feet. I pushed myself, I'll admit that, and I was just done.... I have what I call "bad days", the days when even after I take my meds I still feel like just laying in bed and curled up. It goes back to my heart and breathing easier and a lot of stuff. Well we got to the buses, slowly, and headed back to the hotel. Yes, the hotel, the great thing was that my sister was able to borrow a wheel chair from them so we could get to our room back in Herbie. We got to our room just about 2:30 - 2:45 and I changed into my sleep pants and a t-shirt and curled up in bed. When I finally woke up it was about 6:15 and I was feeling a WHOLE lot better. I had my wind back, I wasn't so sore and I felt good... I wasn't running any marathons but it was my feel good. I talked to my sister about what we wanted to eat for dinner, and I pushed for Beaches n' Cream. I'd been pushing for it most of the time we were there, . We looked at the map and time guide for park closings and decided our best option was going to EPCOT and getting a transfer. When we got we found there was no bus from EPCOT to Yacht and Beach, but I remembered there is the ferry throught International Gateway over to it (thank you Lou Mongello's Daily Video Diaries). We headed into the park, which was closing in 30 minutes, ha, and got to the gateway and the boat dock as Illuminations was starting. It's my favorite show . We got to Yacht and Beach after the Boardwalk stop and were basically lost after that, . We headed into the lobby, which smells amazing by the way , and asked concierge. Once we got on the right track we finally found our destination. We only had to wait about 30 minutes to get seated, which we were put at the counter, and started drooling on the menu. My sister got the chicken sandwich with a Cherry Coke and I got Burger Heaven with a Chocolate Coke, . It was soooo good, arguably one of the best burgers I've had at WDW. I will also now forever want to mix chocolate syrup into my coke. Once we were done we checked out the desserts and settled on splitting the No Way Jose, . OMG!!!! Every time I think about it I want to just jam my head down into one. Yes I got a pic of it, why would I not?!?! The waitress we had was great, easy and fun to talk to and I got to talk to a fellow CP alumni in the grill cook who was in front of us. It's a must do if you've never been, Beaches n' Cream is just a fun spot to be in. Yes we saw the Kitchen sink, 2 different families ordered them.... holy cow . When we finally finished and got to the bus stop, after a few pics in the lobby of Yacht , it was about 11:20. We waited for a bus over to DTD so we could loop back to Movies, we waited and waited and waited. Finally we asked the cast member at the curb side stand about getting a cab back over to Movies. He called one up for us and we waited about 10 minutes for it to arrive, in which time the bus we needed rolled up and away. We were sitting inside to stay warm, . Well we got our cab and had a quick trip to Movies, the guy was nice and it was a good ride. When we got to Movies I was happy to see that it was only costing us $11 in fare so I gave him $15. I don't know if that's too little a tip or not enough, we don't have many cabs here. This basically concludes day 3 of our trip, not the best day though it ended great over at Beaches n' Cream. Day 4 will see a return to DHS and then move over to MK. This was a good day.... If you have any questions feel free to ask, I don't mind answering.

tinkerbells mom is offline A-Ticket holder

Making me "homesick". Glad you had a good time

DAY 4 (sorry it's late)

Day 4 was a great day in comparison to day 3, no rain. It was still a bit brisk out, but the sky was clear and birds were singing. Ok, enough of that, time to get to the fun stuff.
    In an attempt to salvage our visit to DHS the day before we made a return to the Studios to finish off what we hadn't gotten to. We knew we didn't want to spend a lot of time there since we also wanted to get over to MK again. Our first stop was TOT, with a sidetrip to Beauty and the Beast to check the next showtime. We had about an hour and 45 minutes so we continued on to TOT where we got to have a more enjoyable ride with less chatter. Though in retrospect I like the drop sequence from the day before more, compared to this day's. TOT was also a nice time killer that put us back out on Sunset Blvd. as they opened up seating for Beauty and the Beast. We grabbed our seats just in front of the control booth and smack dab in the center, great seats . The only down part was that we had one of those families who let their kids horse around and half the party shows up late. The mom just standing in front of me and my camera wasn't very pleasant.... The show was good, I've seen it before though my sister hadn't, so I was looking forward to her reaction. During the show I had a moment where I didn't know what to do as the, probably, 2 year old girl with the family in front of us was hopping and bopping to the music. WHAM!! She slips off the front of the bleacher and does a header grazing the back of the one in front of her and basically lands on her face . I was always taught to keep shooting, but the camera has one of those scenes of "I don't know what to point this at" moments. No I didn't want to film the child in pain, I just didn't know what to do. A mother next to me leapt in picked up the little girl and part of the girl's family took her out crying. Well the show went on and my sister liked it, all things considered... After the show we made our way over to Star Tours (a personal must-do) and had another deceptive Stand-by Wait time. I did however take the opportunity to open my lightsaber app on my iPod and proceeded to mess with my sister, her reaction being only to say "you're a dork". I am, I don't really care, besides I had already warned her I'd probably do it. When we got done there we made our way back to Muppet Vision 3-D, which is a must-do for any Muppet fan. I do have to admit that I think the film is good, but needs a little update. I also think they need to take out the blue thing, he really doesn't do anything for it. When we came out of the show I saw they had Lightning and Mater out doing their meet n' greet thing. I had to go over and get pictures of both of them for our little step-brother, who is a big Cars fan. I believe it was after this that we went on the Great Movie Ride, neither of us had been on it in a while and I know a few things had changed in the finale since. It was as good as always and I really do like the ride and what it represents and it's goal for the guests. Too many younger people don't really look back at where movies have come from to create what we have now, in my opinion. The really interesting thing was that the car in front of us had a castmember training, which I've never actually seen during a ride. We got to hear her do the line in the Wizard of Oz and she delivered it well. When we got out we decided we had completed everything we wanted to do so we made our way to the exit and over to the bus stop for the TTC.
    While we were waiting at the TTC stop, the bus for the Polynesian pulled up next to us . We moved over and got on that bus to make our way to the Polynesian, I mean it's on the monorail line too so why not? Neither of us have been to the Polynesian and I must say, . Not only the waterfalls and the foliage, but the theming and art and colors in the place are fantastic. We explored a bit and wanted to try the Kona cafe, but it didn't open until 5 . We did see the lady with the cookies and I now kick myself for not having gone over and gotten one, I know bad Nolan. We made our way to Captain Cook's for lunch and got to use the touchpad ordering system they have now. I actually liked the system, it's not hard to understand and it keeps the line moving fairly well. My sister had one of the sandwiches and I had the stir-fryed noodles, both were good and the price point was very nice. After we were done we headed to the monorail, which is something I greatly miss when taking the Disney transportation and they let you off right outside the gates of MK and EPCOT. On this day though, we rode the monorail and I got to quote mine and everyone else's favorite line. Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas. How many of you said it out loud just now? Once we got to MK we headed to Tomorrowland and Buzz Lightyear, which my sister has never been on. It's one of those rides that I think you do just to say you've done it. My sister did almost punch me for just spinning the car at the tunnel part where you can't fire. Once we did that we skipped Fantasyland since we'd already previously hit the must-dos there. When we got into Liberty Square we decided to visit the Hall of Presidents. It's been worked on a couple times since we last saw it, so we made the visit. I was personally impressed with the changes in the film and of course the audioanimatronics themselves. I admit I got a bit misty eyed during a couple of points in the film, they did a good job. After HOP we went on HM again, you have to. Next we headed back to Adventureland. It was time for the mandatory visit to Pirates, because what is a trip to MK without a ride on Pirates? It's a bad trip, that's what it is . I really do think I was a pirate in a past life. After Pirates the sun was starting to make it's exit and we still had a visit to Aloha Isle to make. Yes, even as the temps were dipping down to "why are you eating icecream when it's this cold?!" levels, we got Dole Whip. I'll admit, I got the Pineapple Dole Float since it's the best of both worlds . Each spoonful and sip of this delicious treat was also taken in honor of the MANY people who asked me to have one for them. We did have to make our way to a sunny area during this time, because like I said, it was getting cold. I'll have to admit at this point I don't remember if we did anything else at the park. I don't think we did since we both wanted to get back and get to sleep so we could get out early for our visit to EPCOT. Our visit to the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow also included an ADR at Le Cellier .
    Oh yeah, I do want to mention at this point what happened when we got to the bus stop to go back to the hotel. The sun was down and we were waiting with quite a number of people when we saw a bus with 'All-Star Resorts' on the board make it's way up rather quickly and just zoomed right past us . We could see inside from the lights on the other side of the bus stop, that the bus was empty and that it hadn't just dropped off a group of people. Many of us yelled out, of course to no avail, and then had to stay there in the cold for another bus. As you know, they run about every 20 minutes, so this was going to be a COLD wait. A bus did finally show up but it wasn't a Disney bus, rather it was an American Coach bus. We did all get on and, of course, no explanation was given as to why we had been left the last time. We did hear somebody talking about one or two of the All-Star Resort buses breaking down, this info coming from another family who had relatives on the bus. I don't think the driver of our bus knew the quickest route either, since the ride took almost twice as long as it should have to get back. We did make it back though and sleep came quickly once we kicked up the warmth in the room a couple of degrees.
    Last edited by 04CP_ Nolan; 02-18-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors

tinkerbells mom is offline A-Ticket holder

Great report. Down here in Fla and was wondering if you found any cruise stuff during your trip. Hope to make it to WDW Friday if we don't freeze first.