Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss My WDW spring break (w/Family) Trip Report! in the Vacation Planning forums; So, my family are DVC members. Since my parents did not go down to Disney last year, they decided that this year, we would get a Grand Villa at OKW ...
    LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

My WDW spring break (w/Family) Trip Report!

So, my family are DVC members. Since my parents did not go down to Disney last year, they decided that this year, we would get a Grand Villa at OKW and bring down my Nana, Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle (who's never been to Disney, even though he used to live in Orlando....that's practically a SIN to be related to me and never been to Disney before). Our trip was from March 6th to March 13th (my 20th birthday!)

Saturday, March 6, 2010 (Day 1)

Our flight left Newark Airport at about 1:30 p.m. There was me, my parents, my 5 year old brother, and my Nana. The rest of the crew was coming down the next day, and staying until Wednesday. Anyway, we landed in Orlando at like 4:30, got our luggage, and went to the Magical Express. After we had to wait for about 20 minutes on the bus while more people came, we finally left the airport. However, on our way to the resort, the bus driver (who talked SOOOOO much, telling us every little detail about the resort) had to pull over because he needed to reset the air on the bus. So, after about 5 to 10 minutes of waiting for that to be done, we again got back on the road. However, we hit a LOT of traffic. The driver had to turn the bus around and take a different route (though I still don't know why he just didnt go that way to begin with....it was clearly less congested than the other roadway, but whatever).
    We got to Old Key West a little after 5, and went to check in. We then had to get on a little golf cart-type thing to be driven to our villa. The resort is HUGE, for anybody who hasnt stayed there before. Our bus stop was the Miller's Road bus stop, so we were right near the front of the resort and the highway. Our Grand Villa was just that....Grand. The place is MASSIVE for a hotel room! It had 4 bathrooms, slept 12, and had a really nice view of the golf course. At this time, there were only 5 of us, with the other 3 members coming the next day. It was very comfortable and very spacious.
    We then decided that we were starving, and made our way Downtown via the bus. When we got there, however, we saw a line for the T-Rex CAfe that had about an hour and a half to 2 hour wait. By this point, it was already close to 9, so we scratched that idea and went back to the hotel, but not before making reseravations for the next night, when our whole family would be there. We went to the general store in the hotel, picked up a couple of frozen pizzas and some food for the week and headed back to the room. By the time we were done eating, my brother was pracitally falling asleep at the table, so we all decided that it was time for bed, so we could be ready for the next day!

I'll write some more later. Hope you guys enjoy!
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: My WDW spring break (w/Family) Trip Report!

Sounds like your travel day was an adventure. Write on!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Looking forward to your follow-on posts.

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

Sunday, March 7, 2010 (Day 2)

That morning, we all woke up between 8 and 9 am. We are not the type of people to get up early to make it to the park for when it opens. We all prefer to sleep later in the morning. After breakfast and showers, i believe we got out the door around 10, 10:30 and went to Animal Kingdom. We made our way to Dinoland. Our first attempted ride was the Primevil Whirl, but unfortunately, my brother James was a little less than an inch too short, so we bypassed that ride. We made out way over to Dinosaur, where James was tall enough but too scared to ride. My dad also thought that the dinos may be too intense for him, since this is the kid who had nightmares from the Scooby Doo cartoon. So me, my dad, and my Nana went on. We made my Nana sit on the left side, so she would be surprised by the first dinosaur. We were successful in that venture and ultimately had a great time on the ride. We met my mom and brother in the store at the end, and sicne we felt bad that he hadnt gotten to go on anythign yet, we made our way over to Expedition Everest.
    Now, going to the park that morning, I really had no intention of taking James on Everst. I figured he may be too short. But to our surprise, he made the height limit, so we convinced him to go on. My only mistake was in telling him that this was the ride with the Yeti. I don't beleive in lying to my brother, so when he asked me if it was, i hesitated but said that it indeed was. Well, he started crying, getting all nervous. But not about the rollercoaster aspect of the ride, he was fine with that. He was just terrified of seeing the Yeti. So after a lot of coaxing and him begging to sit with me instead of my dad, i agreed to cover his eyes. And so i did. For the whole ride. After it was over, James was ok and actually really enjoyed the rollercoaster, now that he didnt see the Yeti, so it was a success. I was so proud of him for going on such a big coaster at only 5 years old. My Nana was extremely surprised at just how powerful that ride is, and i dont think shell be going on it again any time soon haha.
    After this, my parents decided to torture me a little and made me go see "It's Tough to be a Bug" since it had no wait. Now, when the park first opened in 1998, i was 8 years old and TERRIFIED of bugs and that show scarred me for life. Same this year. Even though i was turning 20 the end of that week, that show scares me sooo much. Apparantly, my brother felt the same way. So my parents spend the whole time laughing at the two of us freaking out. My Nana actually really enjoyed it. I think it was her first experience with 3D, so she thought it was awesome. We left, and went back to the Restaurantasaurous (sp?), where i enjoyed my first taste of Disney chicken (love it!!!). By now it was a little after 3:00, so we decided to leave the park and go back to the hotel to wait for the rest of our family, who would be arriving about 3 hours after that.
    So, at about 5:30ish, we all trudged our way to the Hospitality House to wait for the Magical Express. When my Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle arrived, we went back to our room, where they too were amazed by how HUGE the room was. We had reservations at the T-Rex Cafe that night in DD, so we made our way to the bus, and then on to the restaurant. It was significantly less crowded, probably because it was a Sunday night. We got to sit in the ocean area, in a rounded booth right under a giant jellyfish. I had eaten here before, but the rest of my family had not, so they were amazed by the atmosphere, especially my brother. He loves dinosaurs, so this was right up his alley. The food, though, was only ok, defintely not the best meal i had all week. I had some sort of salad, which i thought was decent, but not spectacular. I would definitely go back there only for the atmosphere, i dont know if id eat there again though.
    After this, it was around 10ish, and MK had EMH that night. So my dad and i left the group (who went back to the hotel, after a quick stop at the Lego store) and headed over to the Contemporary Resort by bus. When we got there, we had to use the bathroom, so we ran to closest place, Bay Lake Towers. Turns out you cant get in there without a room key to one of the villas, so we had to run all the way to the main resort, which isnt really that far. We then took the Monorail over to MK via the resort loop. Our first ride was Space Mountian, since the last time i was down there it was closed for refurb and its my favorite ride ever. I was sooooo impressed by it. I love the enhanced darkness and the fact that the star tunnel music plays more prominantly in the queue. AFter this, we headed over to Haunted Mansion and rode that. By the time we got out, it was about 12:30, so we jut decided to head bakc to our resort, since we would be coming back the next day with the rest of the family.
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I love reading reports like this. Thanks for sharing! Oh, but next time? Take me with you, please.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.