Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss March 2010 Trip Report in the Vacation Planning forums; I have a trip report over at the "other board" (sorry, I just discovered this site and I'm slowly moving over here) so I thought I would bring my TR ...
    ashleighbass06 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Spring Break '10 at ASMu Trip Report

I have a trip report over at the "other board" (sorry, I just discovered this site and I'm slowly moving over here) so I thought I would bring my TR over here as well.

It was me (21) and my mom at ASMu on my spring break, March 8-12. The trip was originally going to be the 7-12, but I messed up our airline reservations so we had to shorten the trip by a day

This was our original itinerary:

Monday, March 8
    Arrve at All Star Music around noon.
    Animal Kingdom until close
    5:35 ADR Sanaa at AKL
    Then, Downtown Disney or Boardwalk until we're too tired to go on.

Tuesday, March 9
    EPCOT for morning EMHs.
    4:30 ADR at Teppan Edo
    Stay unil Illuminations then come back to ASMu.

Wednesday, March 10
    Hollywood Studios
    3:35 ADR Mama Melrose
    Then head to Magic Kingdom for Wishes & Spectromagic

Thursday, March 11
    Magic Kingdom for EMHs.
    5:00 ADR at Plaza
    Stay until close, then head back to ASMu.

Friday, March 12
    Either Downtown Disney or Boardwalk until 11:15 DME for our 2:15 flight.
    Strangely, we had a layover in Ft. Lauderdale and should be back in Detroit around 7:30.

Day 1 should be up soon.
    Last edited by ashleighbass06; 04-18-2010 at 12:16 AM.

heatherhy01 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: March 2010 Trip Report

Sounds like a good start. I can't wait to read more!!

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

The first day of our Disney Trip began Monday at 5:30 AM. Our plane took off from Detroit at 9 and landed early at 11:15. We got right on a packed DME bus and we were on our way to the happiest place on earth!

We checked in, had lunch at the QS restaurant at the hotel, dropped our carry-ons off at the room, then we went to

It was only minutes from the next showing of Finding Nemo, so we got in without waiting in line (which was luckily the theme of the whole trip). It was SO good! I highly recommend it! I was a little bummed to find out that none of the songs were on the 4 parks 1 world CD, which I bought later.

I wanted to do Everest, but it had a 45 minute wait and my mom was a little scared of it, so we skipped it with the intention to come back later if we have time. So, we went to Kilimanjaro instead. As a photographer, I LOVE that ride because you can get some AMAZING animal photos:

The girrafes were really active!

Then we did the Pangani Exploration trail and when we got out we caught the end mob of the parade and followed it out of the park at like 4:45.

We had 5:30 ADRs at

in Kidani Village at AKL.
    I had the Green Curry Shrimp and Short Ribs with Vanilla Coconut Rice Pudding for dessert. My mom had some sort of cornish hen with turnips and fruit (sorry for being so unspecific) and the dessert sample. I will post photos of the food later, I don't want to overwhelm this post.

After dinner we did some shopping at Downtown Disney and got back to the room not too late and caught some Zzzzs.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Great report and thanks for the photos.

Great report so far!! I can't wait to hear more.

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

Pictures from Sanaa

This is the cornish hen (sorry, its a little blurry):

This is the green curry shrimp/short ribs combo:

This is the dessert sampler (yum):

If I remember correctly, from left to right it was gelato, chai cream, and chocolate cake.

This is the vanilla coconut pudding:

Day 2 coming soon!

T Morrows Child is offline C-Ticket Holder

The green curry shrimp/short ribs combo is an interesting pairing . . . how was it? Thumbs up for Sanaa?
    Have you seen my dad? Would you page him for me?

Next Family trip = April 16 - April 23, 2011, staying in an All Star Vacation Home!

Day 2: EPCOT

Quote Originally Posted by T Morrows Child View Post
    The green curry shrimp/short ribs combo is an interesting pairing . . . how was it? Thumbs up for Sanaa?
    I did like Sanaa, it was something different. The shrimp wasn't that spicey, but it wasn't my favorite. The short ribs were amazing! The server said that that is actually the most popular pairing.

On our first full day, we did EPCOT with morning EMHs.

It was Flower & Garden Festival and this was our welcome into the park (and yes that's me)

The plan was to go straight to the land and get our fastpass for Soarin' but we got a little sidetracked and rode Spaceship Earth first. After seeing the new version I can see how some people are upset by it. One of my favorite parts was always the newspaper boy and now he's turned around and if you listen really hard you can almost hear him...But the ending is pretty cool and we actually rode it again later to get a different ending.

Anyway, then we got to Soarin' got our fastpass (although my mom couldn't understand how there was already a 40 minute wait at like 8:20) and headed to sunshine seasons for breakfast. My mom had this croissant berry pudding that was AMAZING (I don't have a photo, sorry)! If anyone has a recipe PLEASE send it to me! Then, we road Livin' with the Land. We still had time before our fastpass return, so we did the Seas with Nemo & Friends. My only comment about that is that I wished the real fish weren't only at the end...but it was cute

Since we still had time we did the final ride on that side of the park, Imagination (I miss old imagination SO much! Bring back dreamfinder!) and finally it was time for

and I LOVED IT! Definitely one of my favorite rides of the trip!

Then, we headed over to Test Track and rode single rider (only a ten minute wait, I'm in!) and we were ready to do World Showcase before like 5 before 11. We went to the right and checked out Canada and England. I LOVED the Twinings Tea garden:

SO CUTE!

We parused the rest of World Showcase and had lunch at Sommerfest (in Germany). If I didn't mention earlier, we were on the dining plan and I feel like this meal was probably one of the best deals. We got a bratwurst, a HUGE pretzel, and a large drink. We split it and were both stuffed (sorry again, no photo. I didn't take pics of our CS meals).

Then, we went back to America and saw The American Adventure (once again, great timing). Gosh, I love that show. Really tugs at the heartstrings. And the singers before are amazing! My mom says that's what she wants to do when she retires lol

We continued touring WS and stopped in Norway to get the highly rated schoolbread. OMG! It was just as delicious as everyone said! While we were eating there was a squirrel that was running around. He was eating out of people's hands and practically smiling for photos!

Then we did Grand Fiesta Tour...It was the first time I saw it. It was pretty much the same as I remember El Riviera del Tiempo but with the Cabelleros (sp?). After that we stil had tons of time before dinner so we ran back to do Ellen's Energy Adventure.

After Ellen we took a friendship boat across the lagoon (again we got there just as people were loading) to Japan for dinner at Teppan Edo.

After dinner we still had plenty of time before Illuninations and didn't really know what to do. So, we decided to take the International Gateway over to Boardwalk. We got there just as the sun was about to set and we just walked around and enjoyed the atmosphere.

After relaxing for a while we took the boat back to EPCOT to get ready for the nightly show. Since we still had time (although no room in our stomachs) we went back to Norway for another dessert, but we ended up using another CS meal because we had so many. We got the Ham & Apple sandwich, a chocolate sweet pretzel, and a milk.

Then we settled down to watch the fireworks.
    I don't have any pics from Illuminations but I do have this one of Spaceship Earth as we were leaving:

Day 3 coming soon!

Day 3 - DHS

For the third day of our trip, we planned to do Hollywood Studios, but we didn't think it would take all day. I don't care for the Tower of Terror (I don't do freefalls) and my mom refused to try Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (She doesn't like anything more intense than space mountain). Online it said that the Great Movie Ride was closed, so we were only planning on being there until our ADRs at Mama Melrose at 3:35.

Well, we couldnt even stretch it that long. The first thing we did was Toy Story Mania:

He wasn't being interactive. I was disappointed, but I ABSOLUTELY loved the ride! One of my favorites. I loved it so much that we got a fastpass right when we got off (we considered getting a fastpass before riding standby but I swear the line for the FPs was just as long as the standby line).

I noticed on our times guide that it said the Backlot Tour was closed (not really disappointed about that at all. I mean, how can you have a backlot tour w/o a backlot?) and not the Great Movie Ride. So, we headed over to the Chinese Theater and it was pretty much the same as I remembered it. My mom said she wishes they would update it/change it. I guess I agree a little. Maybe get rid of some of those films no one has ever heard of...IMHO.

Then, we headed over to Muppet Vision:

I love that show. Definitely one of the best 3D films on property. After that we didn't really have anything else we wanted to do...it was 11:30, our ADRs were for 3:35, our fastpasses were for 12:50, and Mama Melrose didn't even open until noon....we decided to see Indiana Jones, even though my mom said she'd seen it so many times she knew about the secrets (I don't want give any spoilers). But, it was a way to kill time and when it was over Mama Melrose was open and we got in 3.5 hours early and had to wait like 2 minutes.

OK here are the food pics:
    I had the Chicken Parmesan

My mom had the Wood Grilled Tuna

For dessert I had the Warm Chocolate Truffle cake and my mom had the Tiramisu (it looked so delicious I forgot to take pictures, sorry).

After lunch we went back to TSM. It was just as great a second time! Then we decided to head over to the Magic Kingdom.

On the way out I saw this girl. I signed her petition to become famous. lol

There's probably a bus to get to MK from DHS, but we decided to take the long way: boat to EPCOT, monorail to MK. The boats were slow going, but we were in no hurry, we were 3 hours ahead of schedule.

Once we got on the monorail, we wished we would have just taken the bus. Our monorail stopped twice and one stop alone was ten minutes. It didn't help that the people in our car were talking about the monorail crash this summer. I really don't want to hear about how someone died on thing I'm stuck in right now!

But, we eventually made it...and in one piece.

Us in front of the castle...I love the photopass thing! Now you can get everyone in your group in your pictures! And it works because we're going to buy some of them. lol

We started our Magic Kingdom journey in tomorrowland. I was really excited about the Laugh Floor so we went there first. And it was SO FUNNY! We went again later and they used my joke!! Its like I'm famous now lol! After that we went to Buzz Lightyear, which was kind of a let down after TSM...I recommend doing Buzz before TSM that way it is more fun.

Then, we went to our all time favorite ride, Carousel of Progress. I always feel like a dork on this ride because I just have to sing along. "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow..." Then we decided to take a spin on the TTA, another classic, although I kind of missed the old narration with the forward facing tentacles...

When we got off, we waited what was only supposed to be 20 minutes for Space Mountain, but they kept opening new parts of the queue and I swear we were there longer than our 35 minute wait for TSM that morning...It was good as always. We had one screamer in our train that made it a little rough...she did make the photo pretty funny, though.

After that, we headed over to Adventureland to:

I hadn't been on the Jungle Cruise since I was little and afraid of it....I LOVED it! Our skipper, Robert, was HILARIOUS and kept picking on me because I was sitting in the front seat and he probably felt better picking on me than the 5 y/o girl across from me. Although this is where one of the crazy parent stories comes in...well, this is more a crazy child story. There was a little boy in the middle at the front who jumped up and tried to attack the CM several times (once calling him a banana head). At the end the CM said to the dad, "You need to get that kid some Ritalin" and dad just agreed.

We got off in a good mood and tried to find Pirates...somehow we missed it and decided to see the Country Bears because DBF loves it and couldn't believe I'd never seen it...Its probably just not my style but I didn't get it and found it even a little creepy...

I was kinda hungry at this point and we headed over to Columbia Harbour House, but it was closed already. So, we headed back over to Pecos Bill and it had just closed. It seemed all of the CS restaurants in the park had closed except for the ones on main street which had ridiculous lines, so I settled for popcorn while we waited for Wishes.

Wishes was great! I do wish we had a better spot. We were right by the castle and had an obstructed view. I only have a P&S camera, but I tried to get some pics:

I love the person in front of me videoing it on their iPhone. lol

I LOVE this one!

Then, in the mob on the way out, I saw a girl almost get strangled by balloons. It was frightening. Why were they still out during the mad dash out after Wishes? I feel like that was bound to happen.

Day 4 will be up soon

Thursday was our full Magic Kingdom day. Sadly, it was a dreary:

When we got up to the castle we saw bubbles coming out of the trashcans:

I understand its Disney, but no one else seemed to think this was strange! Bubbles don't normally come out of trashcans people!

We went straight through the castle into Fantasyland (although I was looking for Liberty Square...I was a little lost). We started at Mickey's Philhamagic, which is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE 3-D film on property...no, anywhere! The first time I saw it was with my high school band director, maybe that has somehting to do with it. But, I am awestruck everytime I see it and it was great to see my mom's reaction.

Then, we did Peter Pan's Flight (which had a deceivingly long line) which I hadn't done in a long time. It was pretty much as I remember it...my mom was like, "How do they make it look like there's no track?" She didn't realize that the track was above us

After that, we headed over to Small World and for some reason, I took pictures. I really can't explain why:

At this point it started to drizzle and we headed to the Haunted Mansion. I have to say that this is probably one of my favorite queues. But, I don't think my mom cares for the ride lol.

Then we headed to my mom's favorite, The Hall of Presidents. It was cool to see the new Obama animatronic.

Then, we headed to Frontierland from one of my all-time favorite attractions: Splash Mountain. It was still drizzling at this point and everyone else that rode it was wearing ponchos. We got soaked! I wished I'd had a poncho too. There was basically no line so we got on in less than 5 minutes. I wanted ride it again, but my mom said she was wet enough.

When we were all nice and wet we rode Big Thunder Mountain. The rain had picked up and they opened up the long queue to get everyone out of the rain. I got even wetter on that ride!

Then, we hopped on the WDW railroad and took it to Mickey's Toontown Fair. I figured it probably wouldn't be there the next time I go, so I took some photos:

We walked through the fair and headed to tomorrowland. We did the laugh floor again (this is the time they used my joke!) and it was still great!

After getting our laugh on, we did some shopping on Main Street U.S.A.

Then, we headed to Adventureland and got everyone's favorite snack:

When we were eating it the rain really picked up and everyone came under the covering to stay dry. Then, we headed over to Pirates...with everyone else trying to escape the rain.

We wandered around Adventureland and did something I said I would never do again: Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management. I didn't really enjoy it, but it kept us out of the rain. Then, we hopped onto the WDW railroad back on Main Street. Right when we got up there, they announced it was closed and everyone had to get off...then, they announced it wasn't closed and reloaded everyone.

Then the train got to Frontierland and closed for real and we all had to get off. It was probably about 3 and our ADRs weren't until 5, so we didn't really know what to do. We ended up walking back to Tomorrowland and rode the TTA again. The line was supprisingly long. I assume the rain was to blame.This time we kept getting stopped (luckily indoors). The first time it was right by the city of tomorrow model.

It was kind of cool because its not something you can usually look at in detail.
    We got stopped again, this time in the Buzz Lightyear area. That wasn't as cool to look at...An announcement came on twice that I assume was saying, "Please remain seated the ride will begin momentarily". What it sounded like was, "Wah mum mum wah muuuuh." I turned around and asked the lady behind me if she could understand it! lol

When we got off and I must've misread my watch because I thought it was 20 minutes until our ADR and we bolted to main street. When we got there it was only 4:20, so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

After dinner we headed back to the hotel to dry off and relax for the rest of the night.

Food pics and Day 5coming soon.

Sounds like you had a great time. Keep the report coming!!

-Walt Disney

Here the pics from our dinner at the Plaza:

You can see me taking the picture in the small mirror right in the center

Mickey-shaped condiments

I had the Reuben

My Mom had the Chicken Strawberry Salad

For dessert, I had the Brownie Sundae (I wanted to try one of the famous milkshakes, but it was pouring rain outside and I was FREEZING!)

Mom had the strawberry cheesecake.

It was a great, simple meal!

Day 5 coming soon.

Day 5

We woke up on our final day in Florida to another downpour.

That made the idea of going to AK to ride Everest in our final couple hours pretty much out of the question. So we headed back downtown (I was on a hunt for a scrapbook I'd seen in DHS and NOWHERE ELSE!) and had breakfast at Earl of Sandwich. It was a really cute restaurant and the food was good! For those not on DDP, their breakfast sandwiches were really cheap too.

After eating, we headed to the World of Disney...and they didn't have it, but they did have the All-Star pin I was looking for. Then, I thought I would check the World of Memories. When THEY didn't have it, my mom tried to convince me I'd never seen it, that I was just crazy. To make me feel better, we went to Goofy's Candy Co. and used up our final snack credits. I got a yummy chocolate covered marshmallow with M&Ms for the plane ride

It was about time to to head back, pack up and get on the DME bus, so we ran back through the rain to the buses.

Now for the fun part...we got on the DME bus to the airport. When we got to the Spirit counter everyone was talking about how the flight to Ft. Lauderdale was cancelled...panic set in. Cancelled? How were we supposed to get back to Detroit if we can't get to Ft. Lauderdale for our connection. Well, the lady called people to Detroit up to the counter. She explained that she put us on a later, direct flight no charge. OK...we were supposed to leave at 2:30. Now we were leaving at 5:55...not too bad, considered now its direct.

So, we went into the Disney store in the airport...because we hadn't seen enough of them all week. And lo and behold, THEY HAD MY SCRAPBOOK! It wasn't at the world's biggest Disney store or the one that specializes in scrapbooks, but the one in the airport had it. Who would've guessed.

Then we went and had lunch at Macaroni Grill and took our time to get through security. When we finally get to our gate, we learned that our flight was delayed until 6:15...While we were sitting there it got pushed back to 6:45, 7:15, 7:30. By the time we finally got on the flight it was 8:00...we left Disney at 11:30 and were at the airport by 12:30. Thats 7 1/2 hours in the Orlando Airport!!!

At least it was raining so we weren't thinking about how we could still be in the park....
    Ug. Next time, we're driving.

Final stuff about the trip, review of the hotel, favorite attractions, etc. coming soon. Promise

Review of All Star Music

I don't remember if I mentioned this before but we were in Broadway (I want to say building 8, but I could be totally wrong. It was over a month ago lol). The room had 2 double beds and the ammenities of a typical inexpensive hotel room. The building was quite a hike from the main building and buses and on days when we had been at the parks all day, it seemed even longer.

The food court was big and had a lot of options. At prime meal times it got really packed in there and we ended up doing a couple breakfasts int he parks. We got the refillable mugs and stopped there every time we left or came back.

One of the drawbacks was the amount of high school tour groups. Granted I did Magic Music Days and I know the excitement of being in Florida away from the folks, but my mom got a little frustrated with the yelling and puddle jumping and just being teenagers that was going on. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case if you were there in the summer, but when I was at ASMu there was high school drama all over the place.

My mom also said she could use more amenities, which I'm not sure what she meant by that because we typically stay at the moderates and I can't think of what amenities she actually used. But, I know the amount of walking was rough on her.

And I know this is mainly just the time I was there, but they were doing construction on the bus stop area. It was completely closed and some of the bus stops were umbrellas on the sidewalk and others were tents in the parking lot...so there was one amenity that was missing.

I'm sure if I go back soon with DBF I will probably stay at one of the values, I don't think my mom will. My mom was really interested in the EPCOT area resorts, like the boardwalk. I would bet next time she would probably go back to a moderate.

I hope my review helped!
    My favorites coming soon!

Restaurant Reviews

Firstoff, I have to say that I loved the DDP! We had just the standard dining plan and my mom said it was too much food, but I thought it was very convenient. Having the meals prepaid made it feel like it was free and it was nice not having to worry about the prices (sometimes I chose the most expensive thing on the menu). I would probably get it again. My mom said she wasn't sure if it was worth it for her because she probably wouldn't normally eat that much...

Anyway, my favorite TS restaurant was definitely Teppan Edo. Its dinner and a show and the food is FANTASTIC! We went around 4:30 and didn't have to wait at all for our table, but we did wait a while after we ordered for our chef. There isn't much of a dessert selection and you do sit family style, but I think the food and getting to watch it being prepared is awesome! The staff was really friendly and I would definitely recommend it!

My second favorite was Sanaa. It was so different and unlike anything I could get at home. There is a limited menu and as someone that doesn't like spicy food, it was kind of tough to find something I would like. I settled with the green curry shrimp and beef short ribs. The ribs were delicious, but I didn't really care for the shrimp and I feel like that's the same thing I read in the reviews. The deserts were also phenomenal! We got seated right around 5 and the service was great. But, when it started to pick up, our waitress became more busy and less attentive to us. All-in-all, I would recommend it, especially if you are looking for something out of the ordinary.

The plaza restaurant would probably rank third. It was standard sandwich type menu, but the food was good. They had a wide variety of desserts, most with some sort of ice cream and both of the ones we had were to die for! The service was great, but the place is pretty small. I would recommend it if you are looking for something quick in the Magic Kingdom.

And last would be Mama Melrose. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but it was the same kind of stuff I could get at home. It's just traditional Italian, nothing special. The atmosphere was nice and kind of reminded me of Buca di Beppo. For some reason, they seated us by our selves in the way back of the restaurant so it seemed like we were the only people there but there were actually a decent number of people in there. I guess if you were looking for Italian I might recommend it, but I when I'm in the studios, I think I would rather go to Sci-Fi.

On to QS restaurants, I won't review them all, but I will tell you my favorites:
    Kringla Bakeri og Kafe- I had never been before and as I mentioned before, we actually went twice, once for a snack and once for a sandwich. It was something different and it was really good.

Sommerfest- The amount of food you get here is AMAZING! My mom and I split it and were stuffed. AND it was delicious German food!

Earl of Sandwich (DTD- Marketplace)- I loved the atmosphere and if you aren't on DDP, the prices (especially breakfast) were great! And it was a tasty sandwich!

Aloha Isle- The line was confusing, but I'd never had a Dole Whip before...all I can say is wow and YUM!

Sunshine Seasons- I can't say anything about lunch/dinner, but breakfast there was great! It was a great idea for morning EMHs to get our Soarin' FP and then catch breakfast at SS. I think I mentioned on my EPCOT report my mom had the croissant berry pudding and it was probably one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten! I'm still looking for the recipe!

I know I mentioned in my last post, but I didn't feel like Intermission Food Court (that the one in ASMu, right?) was anything special and the lines at prime meal times (or right after the rain) were ridiculous! If you can, I recommend eating in the parks.

Coming soon, favorite attractions and must-dos for my next trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast