Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss the gleem has worn off a bit in the Vacation Planning forums; As I write this, my family is about 2/3 of the way through a 3 week stay in the Orlando area. We have been lucky enough to visit WDW quite ...
    polybeachsunset is offline A-Ticket holder

the gleem has worn off a bit

As I write this, my family is about 2/3 of the way through a 3 week stay in the Orlando area. We have been lucky enough to visit WDW quite a bit during this time. Having been to WDW before and listening to this show over the last year...we were really pumped up for the greatest trip of a lifetime. We were planning to stay at the All Star Movies Resort for 2 weeks. Ok folks (this coming from a HUGE WDW fan...) The value resorts are glorified motel 6's. You pay a huge overhead for the decorations and the transportations...fair enough. Here is my real problem... I donít know what is going on over at WDW HR but all of (~90%) of the RESORT staff were VER VERY rude people. We found ourselves constantly saying; "How did these people get 'in'?" Last night we were eating at this terrible punch card restaurant at Coronado Springs and our 'waitress' was telling us which items at the 'restaurant' were (and Iím not making this up) "Mo Betta." When we said thanks for drink refills the response was a barely audible "umm hmm." That is but one example....we did raise our concerns over the terrible service with our hotel manager who was one of the 'real ones' as far as genuine over the top WDW cast members. He made serious efforts to make it right. Nevertheless we left to stay at an Embassy Suites off site....for less money we got a huge 2 room suite, kitchen, free breakfast, free happy hour, etc. And the people are way nicer.

Now in contrast, everybody in the PARKS has been very nice and what we would expect from Disney. It (the terrible customer service) seems isolated to the resorts and the busses. My son was trying to collect the transportation cards and most of the operators (especially the busses) were extremely rude to him.

So still a good trip....great time in the parks....busses are a joke. Driving a car is MUCH better....short walks to the trams and the trams get you right to the gate instead of a mile away like the prison buses.

GUNMETALSCION is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: the gleem has worn off a bit

wow...... your making me rethink Pop Century for my trip in october. We stayed at CBR last time and other than check in I had no contact with cast members at the resort ... what were your issuses with the rooms

Kaleigh is offline A-Ticket holder

I think you have to go in knowing what to expect at the value resorts. We stayed at Pop Century in January after usually staying at Deluxe hotels and loved it. Sure, it is outside corridors and less personal service, but for us, it was still very clean and a fun theme. Staying on Disney property is almost always going to be more expensive, but we like that extra Disney touch.
    I am sorry you had a bad experience at the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs. In my opinion, it is the worst run of the Disney counter service restaurants because it doesn't know if it wants to be a true cafeteria counter service or full service. Our experience there wasn't great either because it is so confusing that you have to go get your food and get the card punched, but someone brings you your drink and, theoretically refills. Although it is a "good value" for a counter service credit because you can get steak etc. , I don't think it is worth the hassle.
    I am glad you are enjoying your trip and your new hotel and look forward to hearing more when you get back.

Gunmetalscion- I think you should stick with your Pop Century decision. We just loved it and don't feel that the extra money is worth bumping up to moderate when you can stay at this hotel.

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I stayed at Pop in November with no problems at all. Everyone, especially front desk employees were great. I remember walking by a housekeeper as she was walking out of a room and she asked us how everything was going with our stay and was overall extraordinarily pleasant. I guess everyone's visit is different though, I have heard other stories from people saying their rooms we lack luster.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

So here were our issues with ASM (in order):

-check in took 30 minutes....very grouchy lady. Upon checkout we discovered that we were never properly checked in in the first place.

-room (upgraded to dalmatian room for extra fee) was the smallest motel room i have ever seen. Two beds were slabs of granite (supposedly they are going through bed renovations)

- house keeping sometimes didn't come.....told us they left a bag of stuff but didn't

- when housekeeping came, they took the tip money without fail, but left piles of dirty sheets and trash almost every day.

- went to do laundry, all machines were broken, all vending machines were broken, some guy was there adding laundry soap and snapped at us for asking for assistance.

- pizza delivery guy WAS laundry soap guy...and was VERY rude

- pool shut down almost every day for weather reasons

- food court = bad foods & terrible prices (broken drink machines, no ice,etc, etc.)

- back to the room.....grout was falling off the wall in the shower, the sheets had urine stains (which they wouldn't replace even though they were piled up on the floor)

- bus drivers were the worst....snapping at my kids and treating us all rudely (and before you ask...my kids are EXTREMELY well behaved...very quiet)

- crowds....i know this isn't really their fault but be aware that bus line wait times can be an hour and all buses were so packed that everybody was miserable.

That all being said...there were SOME 'true authentic nice cast members but they were in the minority.

The giant plastic decorations aren't worth the price...this place is worth about $25 a night and costs $130-$145. Stay off property and be amazed at the difference. I can get a freaking steak at the Embassy Suites brought to my room for the cost of a hospital style hot dog at the All Star Ripp Off hotel food court. We now have an Indoor pool, free cooked to order breakfast, free happy hour! And I used to be sold based on Disneys transportation thing but we tried driving this time and its SOSOSOSOSO much better! You get to ride in quiet air conditioned comfort, with people you know. The walk to the tram is WAY shorter than the walk to the bus! Then the tram takes you right to the gate! We go resort hopping via ferrys, monorail, etc. just for fun. Something has happened in HR seriously! Its different than it used to be!
    Last edited by polybeachsunset; 06-23-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i hated CSR.. i had the same issue with their staff at the market place and tips is inculded so they know their getting tipped.. i hated that resort and will gladly stay in the over priced motel 6 (aka value resorts) vs's CSR any day.. i got lost there all the time.. and i never seen a cleanin lady..

i have stayed at sports and movies and got better service and short bus trips there then at CSR..

i just had to comment because your CSR trip sounded so familiar
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

We always stay off property. Reading this I don't regret not using a disney hotel although it would be nice to try one of them once just for the extra disney experience

Also...I have read about bed bugs at ASM recently, also there is the recent news of bed bugs at coronado springs too. Don't waste your time or money...the only magic is how they can convince so many hoards of people to pay a buck fiddy for a motel 6. Seriously save your cash...just visit the resorts on an off night. Its really not that big of a deal staying there...there is a terrible level of complacency going on over there.
    Last edited by polybeachsunset; 06-23-2010 at 08:30 PM.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by polybeachsunset View Post
    So here were our issues with ASM (in order):

- house keeping sometimes didn't come.....told us they left a bag of stuff but didn't

- when housekeeping came, they took the tip money without fail, but left piles of dirty sheets and trash almost every day.

- went to do laundry, all machines were broken, all vending machines were broken, some guy was there adding laundry soap and snapped at us for asking for assistance.

- back to the room.....grout was falling off the wall in the shower, the sheets had urine stains (which they wouldn't replace even though they were piled up on the floor)

!
    I don't understand why you would tip if you were getting bad service. Tipping is not mandatory. I only tip after I see what kind of housekeeping I am getting. As far as the laundry/washing machines breaking down, I have also had this problem at some of the resorts and it's a pain, I agree. They need more maintenance people who know what they're doing, I just heard a nightmareish story from my friend who just returned from WDW about a maintenance guy who worked in their room at the Sartatoga Springs. I won't go into the story now but I can tell you they need to hire more qualified people. The upkeep of the resorts can only be done with money, something Disney doesn't seem to want to part with lately (only if they are building DVC's or now multi million dollar homes/condo's) they have to realize they have to put money into the resorts in order to get money out of them, it's a simple business concept. Whoever is running the show should read these boards (all the Disney forums) and see what's really going on and what the people want.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I've stayed at Pop Century before and I found all the people there to be great. My only problem with it is the rooms... you can find many off property hotel/motels for MUCH cheaper that have much bigger and nicer rooms. The Pop rooms were very tiny and dark and had cheap, scratchy blankets, etc. But, like I said, I never had a problem with the staff at that hotel and I love the food court there as well. If I were flying and needed transport from the airport I would be more likely to stay on property (and then save the money on a rental car as well), but as someone who drives, we mostly stay off property. If I can ever afford to stay at Deluxes on my vacation I would probably opt for them though. I agree with you that driving to your hotel (even when it's off property) is always much quicker than taking Disney buses... although the buses are great if again, you aren't driving and you can't afford a rental (in my case I'm not old enough to rent a car anyways!)

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

I always stay off property. You will find that most non Disney properties will go the extra mile to lure you away from staying on a Disney property. Including larger rooms, free breakfast, free happy hours, etc..

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

We've always stayed off property, normally at one of the Marriott hotels close to DTD, service has always been great with very happy staff.

For our stay next year though, we're looking in to Port Orleans... i will keep you posted, but have no doubts that it will be anything but a loverly stay.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

I find that value is value whether you stay on property or not. I stay on property because of being SAFE at all times being on property. I've stayed in quite a few places on property that I do not have listed on my profile while being there just a day or two and have never had an issue with a room that wasn't fixed right away. I don't go doing busy times because I don't like a whole lot of crowds so maybe thats why I don't get subpar service. But theres no way I stay at a value for certainly no more than a week.
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 07-04-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: .
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

I've stayed at the POP and we loved it, but the key is that we were there during the off season. I'm not sure how many rooms these deluxe resorts have (I'm sure someone will google it up for us), but it's a whole bunch. Like a gazillion.
    I can't imagine being a CM at one of these "resorts" and have to deal with the crowd when it's at full capacity, which I'm sure July 4th weekend is one of those times. So maybe considering the stress that some of these CMs are under will help you empathize a bit more with them.
    That being said, I completely place the blame on Disney. I have no doubt that, in an effort to maximize peak times, Disney has understaffed its Value resorts, which leads to less-than-satisfactory service on a personal level.

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad time, but my only suggestion would be to avoid peak times, if you can.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve View Post
    I've stayed at the POP and we loved it, but the key is that we were there during the off season. I'm not sure how many rooms these deluxe resorts have (I'm sure someone will google it up for us), but it's a whole bunch. Like a gazillion.
    I can't imagine being a CM at one of these "resorts" and have to deal with the crowd when it's at full capacity, which I'm sure July 4th weekend is one of those times. So maybe considering the stress that some of these CMs are under will help you empathize a bit more with them.
    That being said, I completely place the blame on Disney. I have no doubt that, in an effort to maximize peak times, Disney has understaffed its Value resorts, which leads to less-than-satisfactory service on a personal level.

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad time, but my only suggestion would be to avoid peak times, if you can.
    I agree that peak season is busy...but isnt that what they expect around there? Its not like they dont expect or want the peak season to happen. I have NO empathy for the CM's. They have a job and they have the honor of working for Disney. There should be no excuse for the behavior we saw. My only thought is that somehow they let in a bad HR manager or hiring manager who is letting in these people. How do you get a job at Disney when you are mean to kids? Whats that all about!?! How do you get a customer facing job when you describe things as "Mo Betta?" (read earlier post) There is no excuse. You are right to put "resort" in quotes though. In reality the "vaule resorts" are $30 a night motel 6's with giant plastic decorations and rude people. And you pay around $135 for this? ONE NIGHT in the Emabssy Suites will cure anybody.