Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Trip Report: July with 6 graduates, one epic journey. in the Vacation Planning forums; Dear Lou, I love the podcast and hope you get a chance to read this. Without your great work I probably wouldn't have tried to reach out to this community ...
    KHfan182 is offline A-Ticket holder

Trip Report: July with 6 graduates, one epic journey.

Dear Lou,
    I love the podcast and hope you get a chance to read this. Without your great work I probably wouldn't have tried to reach out to this community of fellow Disney fans. I dedicate this long winded story to you.

And so as I look at my desk full of papers, I think back oh so long ago to those glorious 5 days I spent in Disney World with my friends...which was actually only 2 weeks ago.
    We did not plan this trip properly to some extent. We really only planned the trip a month in advance. Despite my extensive Disney knowledge and gut instinct to not plan a trip 3 weeks beforehand, I did it anyway. Nothing was ruined by it, except our wallets. Then again, had we gone anywhere else the money would have bee about the same.
    Our party was comprised of 3 seasoned Disney veterans, 3 relative noobs (people who haven't been there in a long time). This motley crue of 5 college graduates and 1 high school graduate, who had no business spending the money we were spending, ventured off for the first time on our own into Disney's World.
    We were on the meal plan, which in the end probably saved us a good chunk of money. I can't imagine us having eaten at as many awesome restaurants as we did and putting away as much food as we did without it.
    Sadly we could not enjoy the fine steak in Canada. Apparently you need to book 6 months in advance which just seems a bit ridiculous to me. Anyhow, I think the best meal I had was in Mexico. I wish I could remember what it was. It was a steak dish, I remember that. It was so good and so filling, I wasn't hungry until about 10:30 that night.
    My most disappointing meal, sad to say was at the Sci-Fi Diner in Hollywood Studios. I went there for lunch and had probably the saddest Baby Back Ribs I've had in a long time. They were very dry and chewy. They weren't the fall of the bone magical ribs I enjoyed later on at Planet Hollywood. I also have to admit the Biergarten was a little underwhelming. The buffet was pretty small.
    I have to run but I will return for more story time.
    - the fishman
    "I hope we all never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse."- Walt Disney

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Re: Trip Report: July with 6 graduates, one epic journey.

cant wait to read more.. you have any pics
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Ah yes, where was I? Food I believe. Well the only thing I can add in terms of food will actually lead into my hotel discussion. We stayed at the Coronado Springs and their 2 main restaurants: Pepper Market and Maya Grill. The Pepper Market is the best Quick Service meal in Disney, I have to admit. The food is incredible and rivals some full dinning service restaurants. You could says it is the best deal on the Meal Plan I got. Now the Maya Grill was nice gourmet food, but that's all it really felt like. It was gourmet, but we all know what gourmet means: small food on big plates.

Now the Coronado Springs is a great Moderate hotel and I would easily stay there again. I think I will probably stay there again next time I go. Good size rooms, nice pool, and the busses do drop you relatively close to your rooms. The only problem I had was getting to Epcot one afternoon. I waited 45 minutes for a bus instead of the usual 20. Minus that I had no major complaints with the hotel.

We went for 5 nights and that was nowhere near enough time. We did a good portion of the parks. The extra magic hours were very helpful, the nights we had an energy that wasn't sapped by the humidity.

This was the first time some of had been there in about 4 years, so the Midway Madness Toy Story ride was new to us and by far my favorite new addition to the parks. It's fun, period, nothing more to say. That being said, I was so sad to see my favorite ride seemingly growing more and more anemic. The Great Movie Ride, has deteriorated into something just old, outdated, and lame. Cast members not really trying to play the parts or seeming to have fun with them. The microphones picking up hardly anything outside the car and sometimes in the car. It doesn't help that for whatever reason the lines that make up the ride's script are cornier than ever. I'm sorry if I seem to be either trolling or rambling, but it's my favorite ride and to see it suffering hurts. I feel like this ride could definitely use major refurbishments and possibly a whole new take on the ride. I have one...but I want Disney to hire me first, then I'll tell them.

Hall of Presidents. Morgan Freeman narrates. 'Nuff said.

I think the last major subject to talk about was I noticed something this time that I haven't seen in a long time and that was Cast Member interaction. Having people in Hollywood walking round as old time stars. Having CB driving around talking to people all of that was very cool and very funny to watch. The same goes for Magic Kingdom where there were just cast members saying hello as you walked through the various lands. It felt very welcoming, it really did feel like you were in a community, not just a theme park.

I think I've rambled enough for now and if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer. Pictures soon.
    "I hope we all never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse."- Walt Disney

Ah yes, where was I? Food I believe. Well the only thing I can add in terms of food will actually lead into my hotel discussion. We stayed at the Coronado Springs and their 2 main restaurants: Pepper Market and Maya Grill. The Pepper Market is the best Quick Service meal in Disney, I have to admit. The food is incredible and rivals some full dinning service restaurants. You could says it is the best deal on the Meal Plan I got. Now the Maya Grill was nice gourmet food, but that's all it really felt like. It was gourmet, but we all know what gourmet means: small food on big plates.

Now the Coronado Springs is a great Moderate hotel and I would easily stay there again. I think I will probably stay there again next time I go. Good size rooms, nice pool, and the busses do drop you relatively close to your rooms. The only problem I had was getting to Epcot one afternoon. I waited 45 minutes for a bus instead of the usual 20. Minus that I had no major complaints with the hotel.

We went for 5 nights and that was nowhere near enough time. We did a good portion of the parks. The extra magic hours were very helpful, the nights we had an energy that wasn't sapped by the humidity.

This was the first time some of had been there in about 4 years, so the Midway Madness Toy Story ride was new to us and by far my favorite new addition to the parks. It's fun, period, nothing more to say. That being said, I was so sad to see my favorite ride seemingly growing more and more anemic. The Great Movie Ride, has deteriorated into something just old, outdated, and lame. Cast members not really trying to play the parts or seeming to have fun with them. The microphones picking up hardly anything outside the car and sometimes in the car. It doesn't help that for whatever reason the lines that make up the ride's script are cornier than ever. I'm sorry if I seem to be either trolling or rambling, but it's my favorite ride and to see it suffering hurts. I feel like this ride could definitely use major refurbishments and possibly a whole new take on the ride. I have one...but I want Disney to hire me first, then I'll tell them.

Hall of Presidents. Morgan Freeman narrates. 'Nuff said.

I think the last major subject to talk about was I noticed something this time that I haven't seen in a long time and that was Cast Member interaction. Having people in Hollywood walking round as old time stars. Having CB driving around talking to people all of that was very cool and very funny to watch. The same goes for Magic Kingdom where there were just cast members saying hello as you walked through the various lands. It felt very welcoming, it really did feel like you were in a community, not just a theme park.

I think I've rambled enough for now and if anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer. Pictures soon.