Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Our August trip, a really great trip. in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello to all the WDW Radio friends! My family and I just returned from our annual trip, my two sons, 6 and 8, my wife and my sister and mother. ...
    kentgurgie is offline B-Ticket Holder

Our August trip, a really great trip.

Hello to all the WDW Radio friends! My family and I just returned from our annual trip, my two sons, 6 and 8, my wife and my sister and mother. My sister and mother flew down and us well we drove from northern Indiana. First time we drove as a family, I have to say the money saved was worth it. Also to have a car when needed was a real bonus. I drove straight thru on the way there due to excitedness. So we were a day early, and my cousin booked us a room off property at the Baymont on 192 I do believe. We were really amazed at how a hotel that close to property could be so run down. It was clean and all but wow!
    So the next day we drove over and checked in to the Wilderness Resort, never had stayed there before but had eaten. What a really awesome resort this is. The staff was great and the rooms were very very clean. The "Mousekeeping" was above and beyond everyday, she had went out of her way daily to position my kids toys in the room so every afternoon theyd come in to find their toys in really cool places.
    We had booked our reservations 180 days out so we got all the ones we wanted. The first evening was Chef Mickeys, which really started out the vacation perfectly for all of us. After that we had to go to the MK for many reasons, but Small World was only open that day of our trip. So we got to ride it and the next morning it was behind walls.
    Most of the restaurants we had been too before, but a couple that stood out to me were Boma and Ohana. Its been years since I was at Ohana, and it was just awesome! The service the entertainment the views of Seven Seas, just spectacular. The food was just amazing I had heard some bad things about it recently, but we had a really fresh and wonderfully cooked meal. I recommend that one highly. Boma is by far one of my favorites, I love to cook and there is nothing I wont try to master on the grill or in the oven. I just cant replicate any of the tastes at Boma, its so differently seasoned I just cant stop eating it! My entire family was done with dessert and I was still eating the beef with African mustard di[pping sauce. I had a really good conversation with the meat carver and he knew alot about the foods, great service there as well.
    We did notice some kind of rude cast memebers, but by the end of the first couple of days we figured it out. The guests there are very rude, and it is very hot! I really cant blame the CM's due to the rudeness of the crowds. The littlest problem happens and these people take it out on the cast members like its the CM's fault that Tower of Terror isnt in EPCOT! Sorry about the quick outlash but I really do belive the CM's are trying their very best and with alot of things people have high expectations
    One thing we have as mandatory now, when going in hot months we always take a afternoon break. We really liked this. Sure the pools are a little busy. At 2 pm everyday they had a pool party with music and hoola hoops contests, even a trivia contest. We got so much done by taking that break. we would wake up early get a slew of attractions in and then go back to the room eat, swim and nap.
    I also had a breakfast at the Crystal Palace before the park opened. It was worth the average food and high price to be in the park when it opens. We did something like 25 attractions that day and still got our break and then went to the Studios that night.I know those are going to be life long memories.
    My one major complaint wasnt with Disney as much as it was a 3rd party park App for my phone. not going to get into it but it seemed very inaccurate and really botched up one morning for us.
    Over all it was a fantastic trip with doing lots of new things and seeing the old classics! Now knowing that the kids can make that long ride we can go every year.We hadnt been in two before that due to the airline prices really. Think I may start planning my next one now. to everybody that is going soon have a great trip! To everyone else just keep dreaming and planning and it will always seem like WDW is right there.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Our August trip, a really great trip.

First off, a big public THANK YOU for calling them your sons, wife, and sister. It annoys me to no end when people keep refering the members of their families as DH, DW, DS, DD, etc. Stop it. Now.

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Wilderness... easily my favorite resort. Sounds like you had a fantastic time. As for the rude employees and tourists, it's bound to happen. Massive crowds + extreme heat = flared tempers.

Thanks for the trip report. An excellent read!
    Last edited by supernova; 08-11-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: People are just a tad bit too touchy around here. Diz is getting out of hand now :)
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Thanks for sharin'!
    Glad y'all had an overall fabulous trip!!!
    We've eaten at 'Ohana before and it was SOOOOO very good!
    Lookin' forward to Boma, and all that meat, someday, too...!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Just read the bit about the thrid party app for your phone. Haven't had a chance to download one yet but then wasn't sure I'd get much use out of it besides the wait times. Trying to determine if it'll be worth the money to download it just to use it for a week. I think it's a monthly service fee?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    Thanks for sharin'!
    Glad y'all had an overall fabulous trip!!!
    We've eaten at 'Ohana before and it was SOOOOO very good!
    Lookin' forward to Boma, and all that meat, someday, too...!
    Wonder how soon that will be 2 credits on the DP?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by kentgurgie View Post
    To everyone else just keep dreaming and planning and it will always seem like WDW is right there.
    Thanks for taking the time to write that. I am in the dreaming mode so I slurp this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    First off, a big public THANK YOU for calling them your sons, wife, and sister. It annoys me to no end when people keep refering the members of their families as DH, DW, DS, DD, etc. Stop it. Now.
    Sure hope you are kidding. Best I can tell this is a long standing tradition going back to the days Lou and friends started these threads. Been around long before I joined in 2007, So I will take it as a giggle, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Wonder how soon that will be 2 credits on the DP?
    I don't understand how the all-you-can-eat character breakfasts are 1 point myself.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Thanks for the trip report, enjoyed reading.

kentgurgie is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Just read the bit about the thrid party app for your phone. Haven't had a chance to download one yet but then wasn't sure I'd get much use out of it besides the wait times. Trying to determine if it'll be worth the money to download it just to use it for a week. I think it's a monthly service fee?
    It is a very popular one and the wait times were waaaaaaay off. As well as the best parks of the day. By the end of the trip we were pretty much doing the opposite of its suggestions. Its a yearly subscription. I dont want to name them yet because I sent the developers a email regarding this so Im letting them get back to me first. The free WDW wait times app for the iPhone was really pretty accurate. I suggest that one plus its free.