Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss The Nighmare before Christmas in the Vacation Planning forums; December 19th-26th trip report Day 1: Got up this morning at 2 A.M and put the last luggage in the truck and hit the road at 3 A.M. When we ...
    davidthe8thdwarf is offline A-Ticket holder

The Nighmare before Christmas

December 19th-26th trip report Day 1:
    Got up this morning at 2 A.M and put the last luggage in the truck and hit the road at 3 A.M. When we left the house it was 17 degrees outside.On the way down we had found that the rest of our party (FIL,BIL #2, SIL, and nephew (12 and 1st trip)) would arrive until the afternoon of the 20th. We made great time and arrived at Old Key West at just after 2 P.M., the room wasn’t ready but that was no big deal. DS (21) and DS (18) wanted to go to DTD and that was fine as DW and I decided we would go to Wally World and get a few groceries for the first night and the next morning. While in the check out line we received the phone call that room was ready. We arrived at the room at a little before 5. We were in room 1912 on Millers Road just across from the bus stop. The room is a 1st floor room with the pool just off the back porch. DW and I were celebrating our 22nd Anniversary and had tickets to MCMCP that night. We had a light dinner and both DS headed to DHS and we set off to The Magic Kingdom. We arrived just before 6 and picked up our MVMCP tickets. As we entered the park they were already handing out wrist bands so we got ours and headed in. When we saw Town Square and Main Street all decked out we were just like kids again. We hurried down Main Street as it was almost time to light the Castle. We got a spot just outside Casey’s and waited. The park was packed! Then the lighting ceremony started. All I can say is that pictures and video do not do even begin to do it justice. As soon as the ceremony was over the stampede began! We made our way in past the Crystal Palace and made it to the Liberty Tree and sat down until the stampede was over. The crowd was still bigger than we expected. We first road HM and when we came out we figured the crowd would have thinned out as non-ticket holders would be mostly gone by then. We were wrong! We headed over and got some hot chocolate and cookies. We sat down and ate and I noticed an awful lot of folks without wrist bands and it was 8 by this time. We were checked a couple of times (maybe 4 or 5) for our wrist bands but there were a lot of people there without them. We had decided to catch the second MVMC Parade as the crowd was “supposed” to be smaller so we road SM,PPF,SASW,MAOWP,JC(Skipper Jason was AWESOME),and POTC. We tried to catch some of the other events but it was so crowded we decided to go get a spot for the parade. We found a spot on MS and sat down on the corner and waited as it was almost 9:30. We were soon surrounded. Behind us was a family from Italy (it sounded like Italian) that had no idea of personal space (and no wrist bands). I was kicked so many times by their kids that I stopped counting. Then just before the parade one of the kids spilled their hot chocolate behind DW! We tried to contain it and a helpful cast member ran and got some napkins from Casey’s and we got it cleaned up just before the parade started. The parade was awesome! Then just before the end of the parade DW wife nudges and says MY pants are wet! One of the Italian kids had spilled their bottled water behind her, again! We just went ahead and stood up and as the parade ended we just followed the parade down MS and went back to the room. All in all we had a good time but MVMCP was not what we expected. I hind sight if we had it to do again we would have just made dinner reservations and had a quiet dinner together some place nice. Their just seemed to be too many people there without wrist bands and it was just way too crowded! We definitely didn’t feel The Magic.

Re: The Nighmare before Christmas

12/20/2010 Day Two:
    Woke up early as EMH were for DAK. Weather was a little cool at 47 but a jacket and all was good. We had a bit of a wait for the bus but we arrived just as they were letting folks in to the park.. We headed straight for KS. Just before we got to the queue entrance work called, seems one of the guys failed to clock in or out on Wednesday and his pay was wrong. I now had to go back to the room and correct his payroll and resubmit it to corporate. DW was ready to kill me. We head back to the bus stop to catch a ride back to OKW. Instead a white van pulls up and asks where we’re headed, we explain we’re headed back to the resort and he says that he’ll give us a ride. During the ride he explains that during that time of the morning the transportation system is mainly hauling guests to the parks with return service being really intermittent, and he as well as a number of other drivers were using the passenger vans to shuttle guests to the resorts. He dropped us off right in front of our room and I quickly fixed the payroll problem (while keeping an eye on the DW to make sure she didn’t hit me with the frying pan, because I wouldn’t want to have to buy a new one) and submitted it and we headed back to the park.. We got back just before 10 so we headed over to catch FOTLK. We were hoping the Big Chief was in this one but sadly he wasn’t, but still a great show. Does anyone know if the Big Chief is still there or is he gone? Back to the story….we decided to head back room to grab some lunch and catch a nap as we waited for our guests? We received a call just after returning to the room saying they were about two hours away, we told them what our room number was and what to do once they got to the entrance to the resort and that we would see them soon. About 2 our guest showed up with a surprise, they had brought SIL instead of MIL. Not a surprise I was ready. I do not know what disorder SIL is being treated for, but she and her meds do not get along, but that will surface later. Now the cast of characters is DW, DS(21), DS(18), FIL, BIL#2(32), SIL of BIL#1, and DN (12). DW,FIL and myself go to store to get groceries for stay. We get back and put things away. We are planning to go to MK as Monday is EMH until 3am. Now is when we start to realize something is not right, when we go to the hospitality house to buy tickets for guests. BIL#2 and FIL get their tickets, all good so far. Now comes SIL’s turn and we start to notice something is wrong. She has difficulty following the cast members conversation so DW tries to help out. SIL becomes more incoherent as the transaction progresses but eventually we get DN ticket and head back to the room to meet up and head out to MK.. We get back to the room and SIL says she isn’t feeling well is going to lay down. DW and I speak with FIL outside and find that she has recently has been hospitalized and that BIL#1 thought to trip would do her good. We decide she could just stay at the resort and relax as DW,DS,DS,DN,BIL#2,and myself go to MK for DN’s first ever visit to WDW. All is good we have a blast! We take DN on Space Mountain, BTMRR, JC, POC (DN didn’t realize the ride came before the movie), and HM. About 12:30 DS(21) and BIL#2 headed back to resort. The rest of us leave a little after 1 as Epcot has EMH and we want to be sure DN hits Soarin’.

Day Three part 1:
    Got up and got everyone going except FIL,BIL#2,and SIL and head out to EPCOT. We tell SIL before we go that we will be back around lunch time to take her and visit some resorts and see the decorations as she seems conflicted about buying a ticket switching from she wants to go then doesn’t. On the ride over to Epcot DS(21) tells us a strange story, when he and BIL#2 returned to the room the front door was dead bolted and the safety bar in place. DS goes around and enters through back door from the patio (someone thankfully had left it unlocked). Found out that SIL had locked it after we left for MK. BIL#2 tells us that SIL is behaving erratically (I’m being PC here). We make it to Epcot just after opening for EMH. We head straight for Soarin’ and get fast passes before getting in stand by line. We get the bottom row and tell DN that we will try to get in the top row when we use our fast passes, but he loved the ride anyway. We left Soarin’ headed for Fast Track. Wait time was about 35 minutes and we got the front seat with DN in driver’s seat! He had a blast! We got out of Fast Track and head back over to Soarin’ for our fast passes. This time we get top row, dead center! DN says it’s awesome. After Soarin’ we decide to head back to the room to eat lunch and then take SIL and resort hope and see some decorations at the other resorts. We were almost to the bus stop when we get a call from SIL. She is talking incoherently and after some talking I figure out she is at DTD. She says she can’t figure out how to get back to the resort, and I try to explain how and even suggest she speak with a cast member and ask for help but she is so incoherent I just tell her to sit tight I will be there to get her. There is a bus waiting for AKR so I tell DW to take DN and head back to the room and I’ll be there as quick as I can and I run and catch the bus. On the way to AKR I get another call from SIL, I tell I should be there in about 30 minutes or so. I get to AKR and after about 20 minutes catch a bus to DTD. As we arrive at DTD I see SIL sitting at stop #1 (the stop for OKW). I get off the bus and approach SIL and ask if she is ok and she says she’s hungry and wants to get something to eat. I tell her we should go to the room and get lunch but she wants something before we go back, so I tell her we can run right around the corner and get something from Earl of Sandwich. I get her to EOS but it’s like hearding cats. Finally we make it through the line and I guide her out to a bench at the fountain to eat. SIL bounces from one topic to another making absolutely no sense. She finally finishes eating and we get on the bus back to the resort. When we get to the room SIL says she is ready to go see some of the Christmas decorations, so we get FIL to go with us. We got to the MK and catch the Monorail to the CR,and then the Poly. When we get to the Poly SIL starts in wanting her free button after she see’s a guest check in and get a 1st visit button. I take her to the concierge desk and get her 1st visit pin. But she isn’t satisfied she goes on about how those other people got 4 buttons and she wants 4 buttons. I calmly explain that they got 4 button because there were 4 of them. At his time DW,FIL and I decide it best to cut our loses and get SIL back to room. We get SIL back on monorail to MK and then catch a bus back to room. This was just a precursor to the rest of the week. Someone had to stay on watch every day to make sure nothing happened.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

oh my goodness is all i can say... but i'm enjoying reading.. and when i was at MNSSHP i noticed there was tons of people without arm bands and they were just cutting around trying to get out of leaving the park. when we went to horror nights at uni. they made all of us usher into one holding area they cleaned out the park and then released us.. i dont know if its better.. but you didnt have to fight the people who didnt pay extra
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

so sorry you had a bad experience with MVMCP. I would recommend going again if you were ever down at WDW in November or early December, less crowds and more enjoyable. Sorry again that you had to put up with that mess.
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Thanks for the sympathies guys. I have only scratched the surface. I do agree that there needs to be a better way to verify that one belongs at an event . See I had read somewhere that the park closed and that non-ticketed guests were ushered out of the park. It just didn't seem to happen that way. It just didn't seem Magical by any stretch of the imagination. We went to Hollywood studios Tuesday evening and went to the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing and it was AWESOME !

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Between the Italians and SIL, it sounds like you had a Chevy Chase kind of Christmas Vacation. I'm glad the rest of your trip went well.

BethBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

You know, last years MNSSHP I saw cast member after cast member ushering people out -- this year, I didn't see them at all. Hoping they are still being strict about this.

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    oh my goodness is all i can say... but i'm enjoying reading.. and when i was at MNSSHP i noticed there was tons of people without arm bands and they were just cutting around trying to get out of leaving the park. when we went to horror nights at uni. they made all of us usher into one holding area they cleaned out the park and then released us.. i dont know if its better.. but you didnt have to fight the people who didnt pay extra
    Based on this report and OP's report my decision not to return to the parties until Disney does something about this appears to be correct. Sorry Disney but quit ripping off those of us who are HONEST by letting the freeloaders take up space!

If it were me and I was in this position, Guest Services would be hearing from me with a refund request!

The rest of this... I once worked with a woman who kind of became "SIL" we had to commit her (it was at a a summer camp!) Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    Based on this report and OP's report my decision not to return to the parties until Disney does something about this appears to be correct. Sorry Disney but quit ripping off those of us who are HONEST by letting the freeloaders take up space!

If it were me and I was in this position, Guest Services would be hearing from me with a refund request!

The rest of this... I once worked with a woman who kind of became "SIL" we had to commit her (it was at a a summer camp!) Good Luck!
    I totally agree about the honest people getting ripped off by the freeloaders. My wife and I had thought we would go to MNSSHP but after the experience with the Christmas party we have decided not to. We would prefer to use that money for other experiences for the two of us. In fact we are saving points for our trip to Aulani for our 25th anniversary.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by lilo88 View Post
    so sorry you had a bad experience with MVMCP. I would recommend going again if you were ever down at WDW in November or early December, less crowds and more enjoyable. Sorry again that you had to put up with that mess.
    Yeh... The week of Christmas is a tough week to travel... Especially to WDW... But your issues with MVMCP is something I had heard of... The one thing I can say is that those people usually can sneak around and see the parade but that's about it... CM's check your bracelets when you purchase food and ride the attractions... But I'm not sure how it works during Christmas week... Usually they round up all the braceleted guests in Tomorrowland... While they sweep the park... But maybe the crowds are too heavy to do this...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    Yeh... The week of Christmas is a tough week to travel... Especially to WDW... But your issues with MVMCP is something I had heard of... The one thing I can say is that those people usually can sneak around and see the parade but that's about it... CM's check your bracelets when you purchase food and ride the attractions... But I'm not sure how it works during Christmas week... Usually they round up all the braceleted guests in Tomorrowland... While they sweep the park... But maybe the crowds are too heavy to do this...
    They quit doing the round up and sweep several years ago... that's when this problem began and I quit going! Until they bring it back, I am saving $50 to $60

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    They quit doing the round up and sweep several years ago... that's when this problem began and I quit going! Until they bring it back, I am saving $50 to $60
    I thought something was fishy . I had read the same thing about sweeping the park, that is why I suggested to my wife we ride HM and by the time we came out that most of the heatherns would be gone. I agree with Carolla. Until Disney changes there tune on enforcing the rules I will spend my money on other things. I especially dislike the dual language annocements in the queues now. But don't get me started on that subject.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i am surprised at that... you would think they would be strict on that considering they will lose money with people saying "hey they dont care why spend the money to stay and get a bracelet... we can avoid them..."
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

WOW - all I can say - WOW!! I can't wait to hear the rest of the adventure. I'm hoping "SIL" is OK.....we have had to put my FIL on and off meds for years now.
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast