Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Disneyworld Trip 2011 - with 14 people! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello everyone! I am leaving for Disneyworld ("WDW") this Sunday, January 9th 2011! My family and I have been visiting WDW for years, and I've been well over 100 times! ...
    OldKeyWestgirl is offline A-Ticket holder

Disneyworld Trip 2011 - with 14 people!

Hello everyone!

I am leaving for Disneyworld ("WDW") this Sunday, January 9th 2011! My family and I have been visiting WDW for years, and I've been well over 100 times! Yes, I'm a 25 year old paralegal, but I love my disney! My co-workers think I'm crazy because in between the legal stuff I listen to disney music. Puts me in a good mood (especially when opposing counsel is in a grouchy mood!) This time we will be taking fourteen (14!) people, and some include first timers!

So far we have a pretty flexible agenda. I'm flying from Philadelphia, and meeting my family who are flying from all over. My parents are coming from Atlantic City, My cousins from Newark, and my sister (and her family) from Cleveland! WHEWW! So far we have the following people:
    1. Mom
    2. Dad
    3. Sister
    4. Other Sister
    5. Sister's Husband
    6. Niece #1
    7. Niece #2
    8. Brother
    9. Brother's girlfriend
    10. Cousin
    11. Cousin's husband
    12. Second cousin #1
    13. Second cousin #2
    14. ME!!!

We should be checking into to Saratoga Springs on Sunday and staying two nights. We have a two bedroom villa, and a studio booked. We were going to get a grand villa, but there was some issue with the amount of pack-and-plays allowed in the rooms. The next six nights will be spent at Old Key West, with the same accommodations.

I can't wait to "experience" the magic with some first timers! Looks like it will be a great trip. My crazy work scheduled doesn't allow me to see my family as much as I would like, so I can't wait to get together and finally have some fun!

Believing in yourself never goes out of style

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Disneyworld Trip 2011 - with 14 people!

Have a great trip.

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"

Wow! I love going with extended family.
    Have a great time.

Sunday January 9, 2011

I am up up up at 3:00 a.m to catch my flight. My boyfriend ( who is a commercial airline pilot) was being a typical pilot and wanted me to get to the airport an hour before take off. I was able to negotiate to two hours before... because I wanted to make sure I made it on time!

I checked into Philadelphia International Airport around 4:00 a.m., and I must say check in was smooth. Even security was easy to get through. I got to the gate, and there were some unhappy people complaining about seat assignments. I just kept thinking... I could never work as a gate agent. From what I remember, the flight was pretty smooth. I took a Xanax for my anxiety of planes (Yes, I know it's crazy since my boyfriend is a pilot). Once I landed, I called my parents whom were waiting for me at the magical express. They were kind enough to get me breakfast! I met up with my parents after I got my baggage from the claim area. Then we waited for my cousin and her family to arrive.

Fifteen minutes passed, and we were headed online to the magical express. I forget what line we waited in... the one for Saratoga Springs. We waited there a few minutes and jumped on the bus. Once on the bus, I fooled around taking photos of everyone and some video. Before I knew it, we were at the gates to Disney World. First stop, Saratoga Springs!

Check in was a mess! WE had two rooms, a studio villa and a two bedroom villa. The reservation was all screwed up, and our rooms were not really together. In any case, we got our rooms right away at 11 in the morning. We checked out the resort, and waited for my sister and her family to arrive. By 1:00 p.m., the entire party of 14 was together at last!

Get on the bus!!!! We decided the only way to start a Disney trip, especially with new comers, is to go to the magic kingdom. Once we arrived, we went straight to Casey's for some Hot Dogs and Fries! Sooo good! We then headed over to the Swiss Family Robinson Tree house because my three-year-old niece is obsessed with the movie. I haven't done this attraction in years, but it was nice to take a walk throughout the place. It reminded me when I was younger doing it with my parents. Once we were done with the treehouse, we went on the magic carpet ride. My niece and cousins absolutely loved this ride, I think because it was the first "ride" of the trip. Despite being marathon weekend, we didn't really have long waits. We then ventured to pirates of the caribbean. Unfortunately, the ride broke down, and I was stuck inside for 20 minutes hearing "dead men tell no tales" for the entire time. I didn't have cell reception, so i couldn't even go on facebook to kill the time. I have some pretty funny video I took during that time.

After this, we decided to head over to Big Thunder Mountain. This ride NEVER gets old. Sooo much fun! We walked around fantasyland, and tomorrowland taking everything in! Best feeling in the world is when you first get to Disney! We were pretty tired by seven, so we decided to head back to the resort and grab some dinner. We ate at Artist Palette. I had a chicken caesar salad, and my parents grabbed the meatloaf special. I should have gotten the meatloaf... it looked seriously awesome!

My sister and I headed back to our studio when we found out the maid never cleaned the room. We found hair everywhere, and the sheets were wet and smelled like urine. What's worse, we found that the sheets were stained with urine. I called the front desk, and they said we had to strip the bed entirely and they would come to change the sheets. Too bad, the mattress was stained as well. In any case, I didn't care too much about the problem although now that I think about it, it's pretty disgusting.

Tomorrow... Animal Kingdom bright and early!

I took 600 pictures... but I can't figure out how to get them to post in this thing, so I'll just post a video i created on the trip. It contains some highlights of the trip. More video to come!

YouTube - Preview - Disney World Vacation 2011

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by OldKeyWestgirl View Post
    I was stuck inside for 20 minutes hearing "dead men tell no tales" for the entire time.
    You got stuck in those hauntingly beautiful caverns for twenty minutes? Provided there were no Brazillian tour groups (wrong season, I know) or other annoyances, I would pay for that experience!

Quote Originally Posted by OldKeyWestgirl View Post
    I didn't have cell reception, so i couldn't even go on facebook to kill the time.
    Not surprising. I wouldn't expect you to get coverage in the 1700s.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

There was this one group... from south america. They were everywhere! They had on red shirts. Inside the caves was really hot and humid. Weird. That part is always cold.om

Day two - Animal Kingdom

Up bright and early - well we were up at 6:15 a.m. First order of buisness... Call my mom to tell her about our urine smelling bed. Mousekeeping said we had to strip the bed and leave everything by the door. My dad did this for us (such a great guy!)

Next on our list: Head to my moms villa because that was where the food was. My two sisters and I grabbed out refillable mugs, and headed down to Artists Point to grab some Hot Coco and Coffee. It was pretty chilly that morning, so hot beverages were very welcome. The rest of the group was going to stay behind and grab the bus to Animal Kingdom from the Carousel stop. My sisters and I grabbed the bus to Animal Kingdom from The Springs stop and headed to Animal Kingdom. The idea was to have the entire group meet within five to ten minutes of each other - WRONG! It took the group about 30 minutes to get their butts in gear.

Anyway- Eventually everyone met up at the front gate to Animal Kingdom. My sister and I took a picture in front of the TREE OF LIFE, and then everyone headed to the safari. TIP - the safari is excellent first thing in the morning. The reason being? It's feeding time and the animals are waking up. We saw sooo many animals including the shy lions! I have some excellent pictures of the male lion, or "Simba," as my neice kept calling him. I wish I could post some pictures on this blog - but my external harddrive broke - no worries I'm getting it replaced. All my pictures are on my SD card, and I haven't had time to download all 600 photos again.

After the Safari - We went over to Expedition Everest! There was no line, and we walked right on. I love this ride. It's always fun to go on with first timers as they are surprised when we reached the mountain top. I was disappointed that the Yeti was acting in "B" mode. For those of you that don't know what that is, "B" mode is when the Yeti is basically just sitting still with flashing lights and sound effects. Mode "A" is when the Yeti is moving his arm and trying to grab the riders as they speed through. I haven't seen A mode in quite some time, so I wasn't expecting it.

We then headed towards the Dinosaur area. We did the flying triceratops (triceratop spin?) which my niece loved, and then went to Primeevil Whirl before it went down for rehab. After both rides, we decided to leave the park because it looked like it was about to downpour.

We took the boat to Downtown Disney. We couldn't decide where we wanted to eat. A few meltdowns later (Including one of my own - and one Xanax later...) we ate at Earl of Sandwich. Unfortunately, my niece starting to choke on a piece of her food - and had to have her airway cleared. Scary moment to say the least! She was fine after fifteen minutes - I wasn't - but she was. From there we had ice cream at Ghiradelli - A MUST! We had a thunderstorm so it was perfect timing. Afterwards, we went back to the bus to go back to the hotel.

It was extra magic hours at MGM errrr I mean, "Hollywood Studios." My 25 year old self was too tired to go out. I made an educated decision to say in to recharge my batteries. I watched Criminal Minds so I was happy.

Around 9:00 p.m. I was sound asleep.

Here is a youtube video recap of our day:

YouTube - medium

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Love the video.
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

So I've been slacking on the trip report. I'm almost two months post-trip now! I think they best way is to direct everyone to my youtube page and watch my vacation videos!!!

Have fun Watching! Warning.. We are from New Jersey!

YouTube - Walt Disney World Vacation 2011 - Episode 3

YouTube - Walt Disney World Vacation 2011 - Episode 4

YouTube - Walt Disney World Vacation 2011 - Episode 5

YouTube - Walt Disney World Vacation 2011 - Episode 6

YouTube - Walt Disney World Vacation 2011 - Episode 7

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

awesome videos i loved them
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy