Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss We All Done Now? ~A Trip with a Toddler~ in the Vacation Planning forums; The Reason for this Trip: My Cousin getting Married in Tampa Another Reason for this Trip: 67 DVC pts expiring at the end of November. Another Reason for this Trip: ...
    A.Mickey is offline A-Ticket holder

We All Done Now? ~A Trip with a Toddler~

The Reason for this Trip: My Cousin getting Married in Tampa

Another Reason for this Trip: 67 DVC pts expiring at the end of November.

Another Reason for this Trip: We have an annual pass burning a whole in our pocket

And yet Another Reason for this trip: Because it will be our 1st family trip (just the 3 of us)

The Players:

Jason-35, Ride Enthusiast! Fave Character: Donald Duck, Fave Ride: Tower of Terror

Shanan- 30, Pin Trader Extraordinare! Fave Character: Piglet, Fave Ride: Spaceship Earth

Aaron- 3, Character Lover! Fave Character: Too Many to list, Fave Ride: it's a small world, so we think.

Index:
    October 15th:
    Chapter#1: The Hardest Part: Getting There!
    Chapter#2: The Nugget Theif!
    Chapter#3: Nap Time...well not quite.
    Chapter#4: Yee Haw!
    October 16th:
    Chapter#5: Step Up for Down Syndrome
    Chapter#6: An Afternoon at the MK
    Chapter#7: Grand Floridian/1900 Park Fare
    Last edited by A.Mickey; 08-09-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    ~Shanan

The Hardest Part-Getting There

It all starts October 15th at 4:30 in the morning.
    The alarm goes off and surprisingly I slept very soundly, so sound I didn't hear the alarm, but at least Jason heard it. We frantically run around grabbing last minute things (since 8 hours ago we hadn't even started packing yet!)

Nana arrives shortly before 5 am to drive us to Midway. Midway is about 45-60 minutes away, but Southwest flies out of Midway so we vouch to drive about an hour even though O'hare is about 15 minutes away. We would rather not pay a bag fee and we really love Southwest now.

So weird traveling with a toddler I didn't want to get my camera out just yet. We get to the airport without a hitch. There really isn't too many cars on the road around 5 am, even in Chicago. Nana quickly says goodbye to us and we are off to weigh our bags. Nana bought us a hand held scale a few years ago so this comes in real handy. Our large bag just sailed in under 50 lbs. Woo hoo! We go wait through the longest line we have ever seen at security. Luckily we have a bag of dum dums because someone doesn't want to stand still in line and keeps trying to play with the dividing rope. We finally get to the front of the line and Froggy even has to go through the x-ray machine.

Oh I forgot, there is another player on this adventure.

Meet Froggy:

Aaron has had his Froggy Friend since December of 2007. He has been everywhere with him (this trip is no exception) and has had lots of lovin.

Once through security, I want Aaron to sit on the little giraffe or zebra chair but he just looks at them as if they are going to hurt him and I put him on the adult "normal" chairs. And we are off to find some breakfast at McD's! I got a free breakfast sandwich from playing Monopoly. We are headed down the terminal looking for the McD's, but it is gone from terminal B. I ask a kind lady if there is another McD's and she points me to terminal A. I go as fast as I can and hurry back. Once I get back our plane is boarding in 10 minutes. So Aaron eats his hotcakes on the plane.

When the plane starts to taxi towards the runway Aaron points out all the trucks (with the luggage) and points out other planes. Once we start picking up speed for take off Aaron starts to shake and get really nervous. Nothing is helping to calm his nerves. He is scared the whole time we are climbing. Once we level out he is back to normal and is able to relax. We pass the time by coloring and eating the snacks the flight attendants give us. Aaron doesn't take a nap, even though we want him too. We left him in his pajamas thinking that he would just go back to sleep once we woke him up in the early morning, but I guess he is as excited to go to WDW as Mommy and Daddy are.

We are touching down in Orlando in no time. And this is the first time that we touch down on the tarmac and I didn't automatically feel the humid Florida air. It was actually cool and nice for a change. Highs in the low 80's!

We go grab our bags and head to Dollar to pick out our rental car. Jason goes with a Cherry Tomato Red Chevy. He picks it out since it will be easier to find a red car then a muted car. Good Point! :thumbsup2 We put our bags in and we are off to WDW!

Aaron and I nickname the car the Cherry Tomato (our car at home is the Silver Bullet). We are on the road and Jason doesn't want to take a tollway to WDW since we have no change and no cash. So I quickly grab his iPhone and find our way to 192 or Irlo Branson. Ahhhh....our old stompin ground.

This is where we stayed back in January of 2007, 3 months before Aaron was born. (This trip was the trip I discovered Disney restaurants, since I couldn't ride many of the rides)

The Masters Inn was right next to this!

And here is one of the places we ate on our honeymoon in 2006.

(how romantic .)

Why does Disney have these billboards? Do they really need to advertise?

Almost there!

Aaron's reaction to seeing the main gate!

We are home!

Aaron draws first thing and we change Aaron into more appropriate clothes.

That's better!
    ~Shanan

The Nugget Theif

We decided that we would go grab lunch at the hospitality house.

Awww Florida is so pretty!

Ut oh! Aaron is already tired and the day hasn't even begun...although he did wake up at 4 this morning with no nap on the plane!

And what does Jason order?!?! You guessed it Disney Chicken Nuggets. His all time fave!

My sandwich was really ummy!

Dada is happy with his chicken nuggets...until he goes and gets my resort mug in the car.

And the Chicken theif steals one of his nuggets.

The proud chicken theif...

It was a nice relaxing lunch, now it is time for some action...and where do we head first why Epcot....I have yet to see EO and Jason is dying for me to see it!

I love the Mickey detail!

The joy of driving! (I forgot how nice it can be!)

TRON!!!

Right here I lost it! A bunch of emotions came back to me! My grandparents taking me here when I was 2 and riding the monorail and loving Epcot. My grandparents meeting us at Epcot when I was in Middle school. Seeing Jason's eager face the first time I took him to Epcot in 2006. It was all so marvelous and here we are just the 3 of us, about to embark on our first family vacation!

First stop! We have to buy Aaron his first annual pass!

So cute while Jason was buying Aaron's AP. Aaron was singing M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-C. It was awesome!

Make a crazy face!

First ride...well of course Spaceship Earth!

And here is Aaron's...I don't want to go on that ride face.

Before we entered the ride vehicle Aaron was very nervous and reached his hand out and grabbed whatever he could get a hold of. Unfortanetely for one of the ride Op's Aaron is at a very good height for not so appropriate hand placement. I wonder if the ride op's get a lot of that?
    Aaron rode in the ride vehicle with Dada in the car in front of me. I could hear Aaron a little bit through most of the ride, but I couldn't tell if he was enjoying it or he was scared.

Still haven't figured out how to use my new camera in low lighting and moving!

Part of my head is missing!

I like Aaron's head is half missing! LOL

It turns out Aaron was pretty scared on Spaceship Earth...maybe we shouldn't have taken him on a roller-coaster at Great America over the summer.

Do, do do dooot doot doo doo doot dooo do.

Gotta go to EO!

(that CM had not so good pins)

Dada taking Aaron for his first Capt EO Experience!

Someone is excited (and I think that is an understatement)

While we were waiting for the pre-show to start Aaron was pretty scared and kept saying We all done now? I kept telling him no, we are going to watch a movie with dancing and singing. Once the pre-show started Aaron seemed to relax a bit. Once in the theater Aaron wore his 3-D glasses for a little bit, but as soon as the first 3-D effect came out on the screen he took his glasses off.
    Angelica Houston's character was a wee bit scary for Aaron too. After we were let out of the movie Aaron was singing away and later that night he was actually dancing around singing...oooh oooh ohh capt. EO.

I actually really enjoyed the movie. I was surprised how much I liked it after hearing some negativity from friends.

Next we went on Living with the Land. Aaron was scared at the very beginning of the ride when you go through the dark rain forest and the storm. But once we got to the greenhouse he was loving every minute of it and reading all the signs!

~Shanan

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Re: We All Done Now? ~A Trip with a Toddler~

Great trip report so far! I love the photos of aaron's reaction going through the gate... so cute! Can't wait to read the rest!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I too am the proud mommy of an "Aaron"! Mine just turned 5.

I love the style of your photography thus far. Very cute, especially the reflection shot. I may have to steal that idea on our next trip.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Great Report! Love the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    Great trip report so far! I love the photos of aaron's reaction going through the gate... so cute! Can't wait to read the rest!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I too am the proud mommy of an "Aaron"! Mine just turned 5.

I love the style of your photography thus far. Very cute, especially the reflection shot. I may have to steal that idea on our next trip.
    Awww, happy birthday Aaron! My Aaron will be 5 next April . Go right ahead! It is an easy way to take a pic of your family without having to ask someone to do it for you .

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    Great Report! Love the pictures.
    Thank you! I hadn't written out the whole thing, so I will be going by memory and this just might turn into a picture report by the end .
    ~Shanan

Nap Time....well not quite..

After Living with the Land we headed for Innoventions.

I completely forgot about the velcro frog! Aaron loves frogs! His lovie he has slept with since an infant is a frog. He wants to be a frog for Halloween (my mom actually made him a frog costume). So I was pretty excited when we came across this! Oh yeah!

Aaron was excited too, but he is super tired!

Aaron had fun answering questions for this...

But he is extremely tired...look at those eyes!

We stopped for a photopass picture.

We decide to head back to the resort and let Aaron take a nap before dinner and Bob Jackson.

....But our room is so close to a playground...we (Aaron and I) have to go check it out, while Daddy records a video of our room.
    YouTube - ‪Tour of Old Key West‬‏

Aaron and his froggy.

This is Aaron's attempt of keeping his feet up on the slide, actually he likes to try to stop himself so he doesn't go to fast.

Aaron had lots of fun running around and playing in the sand...then we checked out some other areas.

Cool picnic area right by pool and playground.

Gotta love free laundry and lots of buttons to press!

Our red "Cherry Tomato" rental car and our room the windows on the bottom left. Very secluded and relaxing. I really loved this resort and I didn't want to leave...good thing we just got there!

Now it is finally Nap Time!

~Shanan

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

love all the pics
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Awesome! Keep 'em coming!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

georgemoe is offline D-Ticket Holder

Lovin the report Shanan. Awesome!
    - George

petals3485 is offline Annual Passholder

luvin all the pics!

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

awesome trip report so far!! your lil boy is adorable!!

we ate at the cicis pizza too back in 2006!

i see that you live in or near chicago? where about? i am in the far southeastern suburbs of chicago, right on the border of indiana (calumet city, lansing area)
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

aspen37 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Hi Shanan!!! Loving the report so far. Kim and I just missed you guys by a few days last October. Todd and I stayed at Old Key West during the first part of the trip. We were lucky and got a refurbished room. We were in the back of the resort by one of the bus stops and a pool area. I really enjoyed Old Key West too.
    Anna

Rtobe is offline C-Ticket Holder

Great report - I must have just missed you in Oct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast