Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Jenn's Rainy Trip - Day 2 in the Vacation Planning forums; Miss Day 1? We set our alarms early so we could shower in the questionable bathroom at the hotel before we got back on the road. It wasn't long and ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Jenn's Rainy Trip - Day 2

Miss Day 1?

We set our alarms early so we could shower in the questionable bathroom at the hotel before we got back on the road. It wasn't long and we were rushing ourselves out the door to the promise of clean, comfortable rooms awaiting us at "the world".

We hit some minor traffic in Jax due to morning rush hour (we had left the hotel around 7:30), stopped for a McD's breakfast just North of St. Augustine and then onward we went!

We pulled into Port Orleans Riverside around 10:15am. I had done the online check-in and said we'd be arriving at 10:00am so I had high hopes of our room being ready so we could unload, clean up and get comfortable before we headed to DHS. Sure enough, after a short wait at the counter, we were checked in and off to our room in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort, lodge 34, room 51. After a bit of a difficult time figuring out how to get to our room (there's no elevator and the stairs aren't in the same place that the entryways are), we opened the door to our wonderfully clean, cool room. It was just beautiful! I am absolutely in love with this resort.

We got all our luggage up and unpacked just a few things so we could get the fanny pack together for the park and headed out.

We pulled into the lot at DHS a little after 11:00am and we were walking through the front gates by 11:30.

First up? We absolutely had to hit Toy Story Midway Mania. We skipped it in March because FPs were gone and the queue wait was insane but this time we just didn't care because Tim and Brytt had yet to do it. So, we headed over. The park seemed fairly empty but we didn't want to get too excited just yet. We got to TSM and not only were there still FPs available (with a return of around 3pm) but the line was showing as only being 30 minutes so we hopped on in.

Now, here is where I should mention that Aaron is the poster child of ADHD. When he isn't medicated, he is very easily overwhelmed sensory wise and it can result in a whole lot of bad things.

When we stepped into the line he was super excited but a little leery of the Green Army Man that was following him... literally... he tried to get around him and into the queue but he kept following... chased him in fact. We thought it was hilarious. I was laughing so hard I was in tears. Poor Aaron though was just terrified.

Still, it resulted in a fantastic shot of Bill and the Army Man in the entrance to the queue!

It was only a couple minutes later and Aaron went into flip out mode saying he was scared to go on TSM and hated it. Now, this is the "Toy Story Kid" ok? He loves the movies and loves the ride but sans-meds he was just in sensory overload and couldn't process it all. The 30-45 minutes in the queue felt like 3 hours because when Aaron is like this, he and Bill are just oil and water. We arrived at the ride vehicles and boarded our "car" and he was just screaming BUT... I kid you not... it started moving and literally within 3 seconds he was smiling and saying "Oh I love this ride!" Not that it's any surprise but Bill kicked my butt. It was close the entire time but he definitely had a leg up on me. My accuracy rating was higher but the final score was my 131,900 to his 190,400.

We got off TSM and checked the times guide for another thing we had to skip in March and wanted to make sure we hit this trip; the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. The next show was in 40 minutes so we grabbed the stroller and cut across to the theater.

It was hot... super hot... and humid. So, we stopped at the stand out in front of the entrance to grab some drinks before we headed in as well as some napkins to attempt to dry ourselves off. Just yucky hot. But, once we were sitting and had calmed down, it got better. Bill and I were the only ones who had seen this show before so the kids were in for a treat. Aaron just loves the Lego Indiana Jones game so he was psyched. At first he was a little unsure... the opening sequence is a bit scary I suppose, but once the scene was over and the set separated to reveal the marketplace, he was fascinated. The show was fantastic as always.

Because he was so good during the show, we stopped at the same cart on the way out to pick up a "Mickey On A Stick" for him and sat to discuss our next move. We decided to head over to Tower of Terror to check the wait. Bill isn't a fan, Tim had heart surgery and Aaron... well... he had promised to go on now that he was tall enough but sans-meds he just wasn't having it. So, when we arrived and saw the only 15 minute wait time, Brytt and I hopped into the line. Tim and Bill took Aaron to the nearest smoking area (which used to be at the ToT exit but is now over by Fairfax Fair - which as a note is just stupid because now people are smoking right up against the tables people eat at).

After way less than 15 minutes, Brytt and I were on the ride. She'd never done it and me, well, I love it but to the people in the elevator with me, I sound like I'm hyperventilating and going to pass out. I can't help it. When I fall, I scream, it's involuntary. Brytt kept looking at me thinking I was going to die. LOL

Brytt staring at me instead of looking out at DHS when the doors opened... love it!

And now let me introduce you to the common theme of the entire vacation... Rain!

After ToT we decided to hit RnR. It's Bill's ultimate favorite and I personally hadn't done it since Aaron was born, so we decided to use the kid swap passes. We got a pass for Tim and Brytt and while they watched Aaron, Bill and I went on. First time in 5 years we've ridden something alone together! When we got off the ride, we noticed the gift shop was packed and people were piling into it and the exit walkway from outside. As we neared the doors we realized why... it was pouring. So... Tim and Brytt obviously had moved Aaron and his stroller somewhere right? Nope... just standing out in the rain. LOL

Bill, Tim and Brytt took the swap ticket and headed back on RnR. I took the stroller and Aaron and gathered with other folks (and CMs) under the covered FP area. They had no issues with it because no one was getting FPs (the wait for RnR was listed at 5 minutes). While we waited, Aaron danced in the rain, getting absolutely soaked and loving it (this is the same kid however who hates things like Phillharmagic because you get sprayed with water - go figure).

Last edited by BamaJenn; 02-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Re: Jenn's Rainy Trip - Day 2

After everyone got their fill of RnR (and the potty, and smokes) we headed over to One Man's Dream - Aaron's favorite (he is so my child huh?). I like the changes they made since we were there in March. Obviously the majority of stuff is the same but I found the Tron helmet hilarious... once I realized what it was. Talk about great effects!

After OMD we headed over to the Great Movie Ride. This is one Brytt had never done and we had skipped in March so why not! I was particularly pleased to find that we had a good tour guide (who didn't sound asleep) and even more pleased when our female gangster girl jumped on because she was just fantastic. Aaron loved the ride (except for Alien - duh) and a good time was had by all.

Next up was Star Tours. I am really not great with Simulators and Aaron being sans-meds, I just wasn't sure how he'd react so, we decided that Bill, Tim and Brytt would head over to do it while Aaron and I walked around a bit. We hit the Sorcerer's Hat where Aaron decided on his first souvenir (Mickey Hands) but we had to wait to buy them because Bill had the wallet.

Then we walked over to the busts of the great actors/actresses where Aaron immediately picked out Walt and wanted his picture with him.

We slowly walked toward the Star Tours exit figuring we'd meet the crew there rather than outside Hollywood & Vine which was where our next stop was (dinner). After a lot of phone tag, we discovered my plan had failed, we had missed each other and while I was at Star Tours, they were out in front of the restaurant. Oh well.

Dinner at Hollywood & Vine was just yummy. The corn bread casserole stuff was OMG good. I could've eaten that all night. And the banana mousse with the heath bar crunch in it... OMG!!! I wish I had thought to take pictures but, as you'll see as we continue on this journey, I kept forgetting food!!

After dinner we decided to head over to catch the Little Mermaid stage show which neither Tim or Brytt had seen before. Brytt's comment when we exited "Wow that wasn't at all what I was expecting." I think that's a good thing?

After the show we headed into the Animation building. We skipped past the preshow because really I just wanted to see the rooms with the displays from current movies (Cars 2 and Pooh just FYI).

Then we got the shock of our life. We saw Sorcerer Mickey out in one of the character areas and, after the way Aaron had been all day, we weren't even going to bother asking but, he immediately jumped at the chance to meet him so into the line we went!

After meeting Mickey we played a little at the kiosks...

Tim has issues...

...and then it was about time to get to our special entrance for Fantasmic. Let me just say... those who think the Fantasmic Dinner thing isn't "worth it" are nuts. First... it doesn't cost a thing more than your meal would've already cost. Second... not having to wait with the massive line of people to enter is awesome. Third... the little pathway to the "special area" for folks doing this is much shorter, less hilly and a neat little backstagey type view. Lastly... the section off to the right in the theater where they put you is a great view! Definitely something we'll do again assuming Fantasmic sticks around.

OH! And guess what they fixed (that I thought would maybe be fixed during the upcoming rehab)? The dragon! He was out in full force! I've never seen him so fluid and active. I was bouncing in my seat!!

After Fantasmic and a short walk to the car... it was time for showers and sleep back at the resort!
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 11-28-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

If you missed Day 1 - Click Here
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 02-23-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Last edited by BamaJenn; 06-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Having issues with just this day. LOL!
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 09-26-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Did Aaron completely love this trip?

Cause it sounds like everyone had a blast.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    Did Aaron completely love this trip?

Cause it sounds like everyone had a blast.
    Oh yeah he definitely had a blast... we all did! It had it's moments like any vacation does when you're up earlier than you're used to every day (well... I'm used to being up at 6am but no one else is) and forced to spend every minute with your family (i.e. tensions occasionally flair) but was awesome none-the-less!!

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

So far sounds like a great trip.

I love Aaron's mickey ears.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫