Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Our modest trip report from September... in the Vacation Planning forums; We were booked at WL (over 10 stays there) had a great courtyard main pool view, 6th floor with closed in balcony.....was ok since we had a 20 month old ...
    grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Our modest trip report from September...

We were booked at WL (over 10 stays there) had a great courtyard main pool view, 6th floor with closed in balcony.....was ok since we had a 20 month old toddler with us.....resort was beautiful as always.....room location fantastic...down the hall, into the elevator and around the corner was Roaring Forks.....and out of there the pool....what could be better and closest to the MK boat dock.

Resort crowd was minimal, just about had the whole pool and resort to ourselves, oh we were there 9-10 to 9-16.....park crowds about the same....mostly walk ons all week.....

Weather couldn't have been any better.....trickle on rain one day but always sunny and hot...the way we like it.....

Our week consisted of early morning rising...20 month old was always up around 6 am and being us the grandma and grandpa, smuggled her out to the pool for a very early dip before breakfast......fantastic time with her....we'd pick our park, mostly MK nad be there at RD.....we enjoy this park more than the others....back to the resort around 1pm for more swimming and relaxing and back to the park later in the evenings....crowds alittle thicker in the afternoon and evening but very manageable.....

We don't do dining plans, had 4 ADR's pre-booked but cancelled 3 of them due to having other fun but made the Plaza in the MK (great meal and reasonable)....where we ate was all good and no issues....

Basically, this trips was as good as all our previous trips...no problems, no issues, great housekeeping and fantastic CM"s...transportation top notch (we only use Disney transportation on property) and felt the general overall feel of Disney magic was in the air and everywhere.....nothing missing at all......

Bought AP's this trip since we're headed back July 2012 for a conference but gonig to try and squeeze in another trip before during value season to get more benefit from them.....never can have too much WDW, it's our "happy place" and the last was trip 45 for us....2nd woth our daughter, son in law and granddaughter......

If I can assist anyone, please ask....tirp reports are tough for me but love talking Disney trips to others......we took Amtrak to WDW, this trip was another story, it's in the transportation section but all in all....good trip!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Our modest trip report from September...

It sounds like you guys had a wonderful vacation. Someday I hope to visit with my grandchilden that my children may provide someday.

Did that baby enjoy the pool time? The balconey is interesting, I get it for the baby but with adults, could you see anything?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It sounds like you guys had a wonderful vacation. Someday I hope to visit with my grandchilden that my children may provide someday.

Did that baby enjoy the pool time? The balconey is interesting, I get it for the baby but with adults, could you see anything?
    The baby made the trip so great.....we all went in December of last year, OKW and she was11 months...learned to walk in WDW but OKW was not the best choice....we tried but it's a no go for future trips....though the 2 bedroom villa was nice...

On to this past trip....our favorite resort, just for the compactness and closeness to the MK and being where's there's alot of action, Wilderness Lodge......she knew the way to the pool after the second day, said "hi" to the moose on the fire equipment door every pass, pressed the button for the elevator and we were at the pool.....she had a blast, spent alot of time in the kiddee pool, so did grandma and I and with her floaties on, enjoyed the main pool too.....she loves the water....every spare minute, we were at the pool with her...

As for the balcony, we didn't request it, just main pool courtyard but it was a life saver....she'd play out there and then come in.....as for us adults...only way to see anything was standing up....no go from the chairs, rails too high...when the wife and I just go....we like courtyard main pool and go with the lower floors with an open railing.....it would bother me to have that with a youngster that young...but like I said, we spent just about every non park waking hour at the pool.....it's why we like the WL and the weather couldn't have been better.....thanks for asking!! We'd recommend the WL to anyone who doesn't want to spend those big bucks for the monorail resorts and still want to be in the MK area and stay deluxe.....WL far exceeds anything the AKL could offer....we know...been there and won't go back........and the animals aren't a big draw for us....convenience is....

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Glad you had a great trip.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Glad you had a great trip! Just wondering, was OKW a no-go because of your granddaughter, or is it just an issue in general? I'm mulling over options for a long delayed trip, so any feedback on the resorts is really appreciated.

Thanks!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy of ohio View Post
    The baby made the trip so great.....we all went in December of last year, OKW and she was11 months...learned to walk in WDW but OKW was not the best choice....we tried but it's a no go for future trips....though the 2 bedroom villa was nice...

On to this past trip....our favorite resort, just for the compactness and closeness to the MK and being where's there's alot of action, Wilderness Lodge......she knew the way to the pool after the second day, said "hi" to the moose on the fire equipment door every pass, pressed the button for the elevator and we were at the pool.....she had a blast, spent alot of time in the kiddee pool, so did grandma and I and with her floaties on, enjoyed the main pool too.....she loves the water....every spare minute, we were at the pool with her...

As for the balcony, we didn't request it, just main pool courtyard but it was a life saver....she'd play out there and then come in.....as for us adults...only way to see anything was standing up....no go from the chairs, rails too high...when the wife and I just go....we like courtyard main pool and go with the lower floors with an open railing.....it would bother me to have that with a youngster that young...but like I said, we spent just about every non park waking hour at the pool.....it's why we like the WL and the weather couldn't have been better.....thanks for asking!! We'd recommend the WL to anyone who doesn't want to spend those big bucks for the monorail resorts and still want to be in the MK area and stay deluxe.....WL far exceeds anything the AKL could offer....we know...been there and won't go back........and the animals aren't a big draw for us....convenience is....
    My favorite trips were when my kids were small. They enjoyed the simple things. The Cast Iron Horse Hitch Poles that decorate POR and FC, my 2 year old DD rode each one every day. Best memories.

I loved the pool at AKL, DH loved the QS best of all the hotels we stayed at. Beyond that, we will not be back to AKL either. Too far out, the rooms were tiny for a Deluxe, not larger than POR. Yep the lobby was pretty but we only walked into the lobby from the bus and to the elevator. Bus wasn't good and we were so blessed far from everything.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by weepstah View Post
    Glad you had a great trip! Just wondering, was OKW a no-go because of your granddaughter, or is it just an issue in general? I'm mulling over options for a long delayed trip, so any feedback on the resorts is really appreciated.

Thanks!
    Just an issue in general.....we liked the space of the villa (2 bedroom) but OKW is huge....we had to bus to everything inside the complex, food, pool, main hospitality house....not what we're used to like at WL....we had 3rd floor....no elevators and a real pain going up 3 flights of stairs, first with suitcases, then with groceries and single trips with a stroller each time......not what we want to do on vacation....

I've come to the conclusion after 45 trips to WDW and many stays at WL and most of the other deluxes...that location means more than anything...my personal opinions from our experiences:
    Monorails are over hyped.....those resorts are too expensive for that service and have alot of non staying guests clogging up the grounds..
    EPCOT resorts are fine, if you're into EPCOT...but with small children...MK area is the best...and as for the convenience to walk to HS....not me...that's too much of a walk after being in the parks all day...
    And lastly, AKL....just too remote...busing awful as the only choice and resort rooms too spread out making either the pool, bus or main lobby a long trek...as for animals...eh....saw 2-3 animals on our stay....
    If I had my druthers....it would always be WL for us....what more could we want...we're close to the MK, next door, a boat ride away from the monorail....very compact resort....everything within easy walking distances no matter where your room is...boat to the MK and FW...decent pool, 2 hot tubs, kiddee pool, EWP, boat and bike rental....our piece of heaven.....
    Have tried the villas there once....but it was a studio...didn't like it based on location...we were closer to the bus depot than the boat dock...fair walk to the CS for mug filling and main pool activities and the studio didn't offer that much more room...sofa sleeper was a pain folding and unfolding and not where I want to spend my nights...
    I know this is more than asked but it's our take after 30+ years and many trips to WDW....

miffy is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi Grumpy!

I enjoyed reading your trip report. We're staying at WL on our upcoming trip in December, and I can't wait.

I've stayed at AKL in the past and I love it there, but I'd only stay in a savanna-view room. I've seen zillions of animals--it all depends on the time of day you're in the room and what savanna you have a view of. I also love Mara, the QS restaurant, and for a meal of mostly appetizers, Jiko. However, WL has so so so much more to offer--the boat trip, the convenience of the location, being able to walk all over Ft Wilderness, the views, etc., etc., etc. I'm definitely psyched about staying there this time. And there are lots of animals to see at WL, too.

Grumpy--thanks for letting me know about this board. It's wonderful! I'm loving reading it.

--miffy--

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Grumpy,

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by weepstah View Post
    Grumpy,

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks for sharing!
    Don't get me wrong...this is a grand resort....huge complex, very well appointed but done up like a condo community....very little Disney abound...could be anywhere in America.....even the pool....if you're looking for the non Disney feel....resort nestled in a golf course, quiet and serene...this is the place...and the 2 bedroom was as big as our home and very well done up.....

But we're Disney people and want that extra bit of Disney at the resort...and a close, themed pool...we use the transportation system to go to parks...don't care to use it to get around the resort....alot of walking paths and easy to use but we do enough walking at the parks...and the biggest drawback for us was no elevator...3rd floor with a 11 month old, stroller and what not up and down..then a walk to the bus depot and the folding, which we just did to leave the room...just alittle too much...but the space in the villa for the baby and the group of us....ideal...again...location to us wins out over room amenities.....