Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Our first ever Mom and Maddie trip! (Pre-trip report) in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi, everyone! Well, like so many of you, I am just not happy unless I am planning a trip to Walt Disney World (or actually on a trip to WDW, ...
    AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

Our first ever Mom and Maddie trip! (Pre-trip report)

Hi, everyone! Well, like so many of you, I am just not happy unless I am planning a trip to Walt Disney World (or actually on a trip to WDW, of course). If I don't have a trip to look forward to, I get that itchy feeling and I know I need to get a WDW trip in the pipeline.

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Allie, from the Washington, DC area. I work part-time as an elementary school counselor. I have an amazing husband who loves WDW but doesn't have the level of obsession that I do. We have two awesome girls, Madeline, who is 6 and Amelia, who is 2.

Here we are last January:

I have wanted to take Maddie to WDW by ourselves for a long time. She is an amazing kid and puts up with a lot from her 2 year old sister who is awesome but demands a lot of our attention. The last time we were in WDW, I hardly got to spend any time with her because her little sister was sick the whole trip and therefore I was stuck in our rental home with Tiny while Maddie and Daddy did a lot together. So I'm ready for a "do-over" trip to make up for not getting to do much last time, plus I know that this is a fantastic age for me to do this with Maddie.

I need for this trip to be a complete budget trip because we just don't have a lot of money to put toward this trip. But I have a lot of things going for me. After our trip last year, I had two days on our pass that I didn't use because I had to be home with sick Amelia, so I paid to add the non-expiring option onto my ticket. We also have 2 days on an old non-expiring ticket so our park tickets are taken care of. As an added bonus, I had almost $250 in airline vouchers after offering my seat on a flight last year.

I had been watching the airlines for sales to Orlando, and they finally came up for late-January. Plus, Maddie has a 4-day weekend with no school at the end of January so she wont' be missing any school. PLUS, I got an AMAZING rate at Pop Century on hotels.com, so the whole trip is going to be so reasonable I can't believe it! I haven't stayed on property since 2003 when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge (Since then we have been staying at rental homes in the Windsor Hills resort which I HIGHLY recommend) so the idea of staying on property has me excited beyond belief!

OK, sorry, I'm rambling. Here are the specs:

January 28th-31st - Disney Pop Century.

-January 28th - Travel day, settle in and take our traditional Monorail ride to get excited! Maybe dinner at Chef Mickey's?

-January 29th - Magic Kingdom day, no ADR's at this point.

-January 30th - Epcot, Maddie's first time at this park. No ADR's at this point.

-January 31st - DTD in the morning and then off to airport for our trip home.

So, it's a quick trip but one I am super-excited about. I feel like Maddie is at the perfect age for a trip like this since she is old enough for a long day of walking, can do almost every ride at every park, but is still young enough to buy into all of the WDW magic. I am SO excited to have this time with her!

I could really use your feedback on a few things:

1. We currently have an ADR for 7:45pm on Saturday evening - our arrival day - at Chef Mickey's. I am debating whether or not to keep it. We'll be tired from traveling and I want to have an early night so we can be ready for the MK the next morning, plus 7:45pm is a late-dinner for us anyway. I'm thinking that maybe we should eat at Pop Century and have a relaxing evening. What do you think about this? Maybe we can go to breakfast at Pop Century on Tuesday morning before we fly home.

2. I haven't make any ADR's for either day in the parks to keep our schedule flexible and hopefully save money. Do you think counter service for lunch and dinner both days sounds OK? Would you do this as a money-saving strategy?

Thanks everyone! Happy reading, I will add more details as they come.
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

Re: Our first ever Mom and Maddie trip! (Pre-trip report)

Here are a few bonus photos from some of our past Disney trips, just for the fun of it!

This is Maddie two years ago in January 2009, prettiest princess ever!

When babies attack! This is also January 2009:

Hey, look who's on the American Idol Experience stage?!? FYI, they did my makeup, not me! Also January 2009.

January 2011 - The three girls. Poor Amelia was so sick, she had her pacifier in her mouth every second of our trip!

More to come!

January 2008 - Me and Maddie in the Mickey Pool on the Disney Magic. We spent an incredible week with our extended family.
    Last edited by AllieBee; 11-12-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Read my pre-trip report!

Aww, no one wants to reply?

Anyway, I think I have decided to cancel Chef Mickey's for our arrival day. I think we'll just stay loose and fancy-free! We will explore our resort and then take the bus over to the MK and do the monorail loop and do some exploring and maybe do a counter-service at one of the resorts on the loop. Then go back to our good-ol' value resort for sleep and an early start the next morning!

OK, new question for you, regarding snacks. Do you all bring snacks into the parks? If so, what? Granola bars, fruit snacks? Can I pick this stuff up at PC or should I bring it on the airplane?

Thoughts?

Read my pre-trip report!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

I'd bring your snacks on the plane. That's how we usually do it just because food is so overpriced at the gift shops at the resorts. Plus you'll be eating plenty of yummy meals and snacks while you're in the park...save your money to splurge there. Packing some snacks for the plane will take up hardly any space, especially for such a quick trip.

I really like Pop Century, you're gonna have a great time!!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Snacks on the plane is a must,a s well as snacks for the parks. You'll save a bunch of cash taking your own snacks in and since it is January you'll likely be wearing jackets so your have pockets for small snacks. I recommend cargo pants for parks since the cargo pockets are great for keeping thinks like snacls cameras and the like. Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious.

After a day of travel witha 6 year old the 745 ADR at Chef Mickey's might be a bit much. I think you are right on with having a low key dinner at the food court at Pop Century

You rplan for counter service lunches and sit down dinners is very good. Some counter service places such as lotus blossom at China have pretty big portions that you could split with a little person. If you try and eat dinner a bit earlier (5ish or so) you will have less trouble getting in at many places.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Have a great trip.

AMAZING DEVELOPMENT!!!!

Wow, I can't really believe this, but something very awesome has happened during my planning of this trip!

I'll try to make it short.

OK, so my mom just turned 65 and so me, my sister, and my mom's best friend were going to take her to Las Vegas on Martin Luther King's birthday weekend, which is 2 weeks before my planned WDW trip with my daughter.

Well, after some initial planning and pricing out of tickets and hotels, it's just not financially viable, especially the airfare from Washington DC. So, we ask the birthday girl (my mom) what she would like to do instead, and her answer???

ORLANDO!!!!!

That's right! I will be visiting WDW TWICE in the month of January! Eeeeeeek! I can't stand it!

So, on the weekend of January 12-15, it's a ladies trip (2 of us are late-30's and two are mid-60's) to Orlando, staying for 3 nights in Windsor Hills Resort Community, one day at Epcot and the rest at non-park locations. We will do DTD, outlet malls, the Boardwalk, the pool (if weather permits), and have lots of relaxing downtime, rare for a mom of a 2 and 6 year old.

I AM SO STINKING EXCITED!!! My mom loves Epcot so we are definitely doing that. We are going to take her to lunch at the Morocco pavilion, her favorite. And the rest of the day will just be doing Epcot at a relaxing pace, couldn't be happier.

And then two weeks later, I am back with my daughter, this time at Pop Century. YIPPEEEEEEE!!!

What a magical month January has turned out to be.

Read my pre-trip report!

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Wow, what a great surprise!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney