Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Amanda's Trip Report Jan 3-10, 2012 in the Vacation Planning forums; Here is a pic of AKL that forgot from Jan 4..it's a great resort. The building on the far left of this pic will be part of the Lion King ...
    Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

Re: Amanda's Trip Report Jan 3-10, 2012

Here is a pic of AKL that forgot from Jan 4..it's a great resort.

The building on the far left of this pic will be part of the Lion King section. The ones on the right will be part of Little Mermaid.

-Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Chilling out at Pop's pool

A few of the holes at Winter Summerland..theming was great!

I had to take a pic of this hole because the bag on the right was labelled "CHESTNUTS." And then it said "for best taste, cook over and open fire." When you hit your ball under the fire, smoke would come up.

Waiting for the luau

-Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Loving the TR Amanda!! It looks like you had an amazing time!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    Loving the TR Amanda!! It looks like you had an amazing time!
    Thank you!! We did! Can't wait to go back!
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Jan 8th

Nate slept in this day so I got up and went down by the pool for about an hour and a half. He called to tell me he was ready so we headed to DTD again. First we stopped at Earl of Sandwich (love that place). I was torn on if I should get my usual Hawaiian BBQ sandwich or try the holiday special (it was the last day for it). I opted to try the holiday sandwich and it was so worth it. Turkey, gravy, stuffing, a little bit of mayo (I didn’t even notice it), and a little bit of cranberry sauce. It was so yummy that I want another one just thinking about it. Next we walked down to the West Side. Nate’s brother wanted us to pick him up a box of cigars from the cigar shop. We went in and after help from the CM and a few phone calls to Nate’s brother we finally located the right cigars (Nate and I know nothing about cigars so we had quite the search). Bought the cigars, caught a bus back to the resort to drop them off and then caught a bus to Epcot.

At Epcot we did SSE, Figment, and Living with the Land again. Then it was time for our ADR and Coral Reef. Another great meal. I had a New York Strip with horseradish mashed potatoes, which I was afraid to try but they ended up being fantastic. Nate had lobster ravioli, which he loved. We were seated at a table right up against the aquarium, so it was great. Our server was very good, too. Nate had a chocolate mousse with liquor (I think Jack Daniels but I don’t remember) in it for dessert, and I had a chocolate lava cake with raspberries. Both were phenomenal. We both agreed that this was probably our favorite meal of the trip.

After dinner we caught the monorail to MK (can you tell we love it there?). We wanted to go on SM but it was down so we headed for the People Mover. By the time we got on that SM was running again. We watched the Magic, the Memories, and You in front of the castle. I love this and hope it stays for a long time. The holiday portion of it was short but still very neat to see. I could watch it over and over again. We watched Wishes right after that. We did SM after that as well as Winnie the Pooh and a few others.
    Last edited by Thumper10; 01-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

A for Amanda!

Our view for dinner. We loved it when the giant sea turtle would swim by. Lots of cool fish and sharks too.

Turned out blurry, but seeing the castle as a gingerbread house was awesome.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Jan 9

This was our last full day in the parks. We started it at Studios since we still had a fair amount to do there. Got FPs for TSM first, then did One Man’s Dream. How can you not like that attraction? Grabbed a quick lunch at the Dockside Diner after that where we both had Italian sausages. We ate then headed for the Beauty and the Beast show. Next did ToT and RnRC, then headed for LMA. Neither of us cared for the new addition of Lightning McQueen into the show, the Herbie portion was better. We did the Backlot, Star Tours again, and then used our FPs for TSM. Caught a boat and headed towards Epcot.

Soarin’ line at Epcot was too long once again and FPs were gone. Test Track said it only had a 20 minute wait so we decided to do it. Ended up being in line for close to 45, which was disappointing. We would have forgone it if we would’ve known, but ended up having fun once we boarded. Headed into the WS next. Explored Mexico and did the Gran Fiesta Tour. I like that little boat ride. Quickly went through Norway and I picked up a school bread to eat later on. Did China, Germany, and Italy. Skipped America, Japan, and Morocco because we had to make it to our ADR in France. Checked in at Les Chefs de France and waited about 15 minutes for a table. We had a very attentive server, Maxime. I had a filet with a peppercorn sauce that was very good and the best au gratin potatoes I have ever had. They were delicious. Nate had ribs in a cabernet sauce over pasta. The ribs were more like a pot roast. It was also very good. We had “les profiteroles” for dessert which were similar to a cream puff with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. It was very good as well. I would definitely recommend the restaurant. We finished up just as Illuminations was starting so we headed outside to watch. I love the end of the Illuminations soundtrack. Headed back to the resort afterwards for our last night there.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

I thought this was a cool pic because of all of the icons you could see- the Swan hotel, ToT, the Chinese theater, and the hat all right next to each other.

-Amanda

-Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Great report Amanda!! Maybe I missed it when reading through the AK stuff but I've never seen that leaf-person before. Was it a real person hiding in there or has that always been there?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Great report Amanda!! Maybe I missed it when reading through the AK stuff but I've never seen that leaf-person before. Was it a real person hiding in there or has that always been there?
    She's a real person that moves through the trees very slowly any many people don't even notice her. Her name is DeVine. She is usually hiding in some trees on the pathway between Africa and Asia, but this time we spotted her in the Oasis. She is pretty cool to watch. I think she is out fairly often because we have spotted her on most of our previous trips, and we usually only do one day at AK.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper10 View Post
    She's a real person that moves through the trees very slowly any many people don't even notice her. Her name is DeVine. She is usually hiding in some trees on the pathway between Africa and Asia, but this time we spotted her in the Oasis. She is pretty cool to watch. I think she is out fairly often because we have spotted her on most of our previous trips, and we usually only do one day at AK.
    That's so cool! I'll have to watch for her next time. Does she interact with guests at all?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    That's so cool! I'll have to watch for her next time. Does she interact with guests at all?
    I've never seen her interact with the guests, but I think that's because she is supposed to act as more of an illusion...like make the guests question if they really did just see something in the trees move or not. If you're not sure where/when to find her, you can always ask guest relations...that's what my family did when we wanted to see Push at MK for the first time but didn't know when he would be out.
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Jan 10

We got up early because we had ADRs for an early breakfast and needed to get our luggage over to DME. Once we got it checked, we took a bus to Epcot and then walked over to the Beach Club for breakfast at Cape May. Breakfast was good, but Nate and I both decided we’d rather use our dining plan credits for dinner from now on. I don’t feel as though the breakfast selections for table service dining are that different than what we find at the resort food court. We got pictures with Minnie, Donald, and Goofy all in their swimwear which was cute. Mickey was nowhere to be found which was a just a little disappointing.

We walked back to Epcot and did the stand-by line for Soarin’ since it was our last chance to ride it. It was about 45 minutes…long, but not bad for Soarin’. This and the Test Track line were the longest we waited in all week. Everything else was about 15 minutes or under. We had a very nice ride on Soarin’ then headed to WS to finish that up. I love black bears, so Nate surprised me with a pair of black bear pj shorts from Canada. Strolled through the UK, did the shops in France, did Morocco, then headed for Japan, our favorite. We love to koi pond and Mitsukoshi..it’s such a neat store. Nate has always wanted a bonsai tree, so he bought seeds for one, which is now growing nicely. Checked out the new QS option there which looks nice and was actually busy. Guess the refurb worked. We were headed out of the showcase when Nate decided he was already hungry again, so he stopped for orange chicken in China and I went to Mouse Gears where I bought my dad a monorail t shirt. We met up again by SSE and took the monorail to MK for our last few hours.

We stopped in the Emporium where I got my sister and I each a stuffed Steamboat Willie…I have been wanting one of these for the longest time. His body and outfit are actually crocheted or knitted…not your normal stuffed animal. Nate got Haunted Mansion Life (we still enjoy our board games). Next we did one more ride on Pirates and Philharmagic. Said goodbye to Dumbo as he was all walled off and took pics of the Fantasyland expansion. Got in line for Space Mountain one more time for Nate. We walked back over to Adventureland so Nate could get a Dole Whip…I got an orange one since I don’t like Pineapple. We sadly headed toward the park exit, but stopped in the Confectionary first. I used our last three snack credits to get 3 Minnie’s bake shop cookies to bring home to my family. We sadly said good-bye to Main Street and the castle and then headed out. We got back to AS Sports and picked up our carry-on bags from the luggage room. We had about 20 minutes before our DME bus got us (we had a very grumpy driver) and then we headed off to the airport.

It was a really great and relaxing trip for the both of us and we can’t wait to go back, hopefully with the whole family. Love doing the dining plan, it saved us a total of $360. I also really enjoyed All-Star Sports. I haven't stayed at a value in quite some time, so I thought that I would miss some of the conveniences that I'm used to at other resorts, but I really didn't. Bus service was great, food court was nice, room was nice and well-kept, and it is very pretty overall. I did notice that the restroom off of the lobby was in definite need of a refurb, but that was all I noticed. Definitely enjoyed the surfing section and would enjoy staying there again.

We were there during marathon weekend so we encountered a lot of runners...which has motivated me to participate one of Disney's 5Ks or half marathons next year! Very much looking forward to that.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!!
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Lovely view outside of our room

Minnie loved flirting with Nate

No more Dumbo

Anybody know what this is going to be?

You can see the top of the one of the new Dumbos is ready and waiting next to the new circus tent.

-Amanda

-Walt Disney

Hope you all enjoyed reading!
    -Amanda

-Walt Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast