Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss The Breakey's Christmas Present Trip in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey all It has been a long time since I have been on here. I never stopped listening to the show, I just have been too busy to visit the ...
    ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

The Breakey's Christmas Present Trip

Hey all

It has been a long time since I have been on here. I never stopped listening to the show, I just have been too busy to visit the forums much.

Any way, I wanted to tell you all about the trip my family and I took last month. It started on Christmas Day when our daughters opened a couple of books. The color companion to the Unofficial Guide and Steve Barrett's Hidden Mickeys book. They were unimpressed with the books until we told them that they would be needing them in a couple weeks when we loaded up the car to head to DisneyWorld! So on January 12th at oh dark thirty, we all piled in the van to make the trip from Raleigh to WDW.

On the way down, we always hit our little secret Disney shopping locations...the Character Premier shops at the outet malls in St. Augustine and Orlando. There are 3 in total but we hit 2 on the way down and the third on the way home. We always stop here because you can get so much REAL Disney parks merchandise for much less than in the parks! My wife and I both got 40th anniversary jackets for $30 that sold in the parks for $60!! And we needed them for the trip! It was cold!

Once we got checked into POFQ, we took a few minutes to hang out at the pool before getting cleaned up for dinner at Chef Mickey's. This was our first time dining at CM's and I have to say that dinner was very good. The girls had a great time too. After dinner, we hopped the Monorail to the Poly to watch Wishes from the beach. We love starting our visits off this way. After that, it was early to bed because we had a long day in store on Friday!

Friday, EPCOT Center (yes, it is still EC to me!). Made it for rope drop. The crowds weren't too bad early in the day and we were able to hit just about everything in FutureWorld. We did Sum of all Thrills for the first time and thought it was really cool! I like the whole "design your own ride" thing. We also had to ride Test Track one more time before it goes down for refurb. Lunch was at our favorite restraunt on property, Via Napoli! Their pizzas are without a doubt, the best I have ever had! We did a couple of Kim Possible missions, visited alot of countries and settled in for Illuminations. But that wasn't it for the day, we still had EMH to go. Back to FutureWorld for another ride on Soarin', Mission Space and Space Ship Earth. What a fun day.

Saturday, Hollywood Studios! Early EMH today so we were there at rope drop again. First stop was TSM of course. Grabbed fast passes on the way in so we could ride it again later. The crowds today were not bad at all. We didn't have any waits longer than 20 minutes or so for any ride. We managed to see everything except for the Backlot tour, Playhouse Junior, Beauty and the Beast, and the Animation attraction. We got to see both stunt shows, Mulch Sweat and Shears, a Disney Channel show in front of the hat, One Man's Dream. Three rides on the new Star Tours ride (I was the Rebel Spy on our first ride!) , 2 rides on RnR and TSM, and one on everything else. Unfortunately, Fantasmic wasn't showing so we went back to the resort after the parked closed at 7:00. We needed the early night to bed because Sunday was going to be a LONG day!

Sunday, Magic Kingdom!!! Evening EMH meant that the park was open until 3:00 AM!!!!! We were at rope drop at 9:00, so that meant we had 18 hours in MK! Woo hoo!!! We knew going in that today was going to be the busiest day of our trip. The crowd calendar predicted a 9.5 out of 10! So I convinced the family that we needed a touring plan for the day. Using the Lines app, we followed the "One Day Plan for Adults." Our kids enjoy alot of the same attractions that we do so it was a good starting point for us. With the new optimize feature, we were able to add in the attractions that were missing, hit the optimize button, and have a brand new customized plan. This was a life saver! The crowds were insane! I think the entire population of Brazil was in MK that day! But with the plan, we were able to complete over 30 steps in our plan including over an hour for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern!

The one thing we missed out on today was the oppurtunity to try Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. It was in soft opening that day, but we missed the cut off by 5 minutes. We hated that we missed out on that chance but it didn't put a damper on our visit.

This was also our first time seeing the Magic, Memories and You show. That was amazing! We were blown away!

The great thing was, after Wishes, it seemed like everybody left! So when the second MSEP came around, we didn't have to fight anybody for a spot to watch.

For most people, that would be the end of the day. But for us, we were just getting started. We still had 4 hours left! We got to basically walk on Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, and the Magic Carpets. But the highlight of the night was the last attraction we went on. Country Bear Jamboree. But this was no ordinary show. We had the whole theater to ourselves!!! As a Disney Nerd, this was probably my biggest geek out moment ever! Just my family, the cast member (who still had to do her whole spiel over the PA) and the bears! It was an awesome, special way to end the day!

I have to say that my daughters are awesome! They are 9 and 12 years old and didn't complain or get crabby once on this whole trip! Not even during our 18 hour marathon on Sunday.

And I have to say that this trip wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for my wonderful wife. She sent me an email in September saying "I'm having bad thoughts for Christmas!" That was the start of the planning process.

We also have to thank Coleen Bolton at MEI & Mouse Fan Travel. She has been our go to agent for all of the trips for our family, and extended family too, for the past few years. She is awesome and makes the whole planning process super easy!

I think that just about covers it. Sorry I rambled on for so long.

Can't wait to plan our next trip. I'm already having withdrawl symptoms!!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: The Breakey's Christmas Present Trip

"I'm having bad thoughts for Christmas!"
    I love it! I would love to be able to have bad thoughts for Christmas!

Wonderful trip report!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Sounds like you had a great trip.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

We did have a great trip. Lots of fun, late nights, early mornings, no naps, awesome food, great character interaction, and TONS of rides!

What more could you ask for?
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!