Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss 'Ohana Dinner Review 5/29/05 in the Vacation Planning forums; Restaurant: ‘Ohana Where: Polynesian Hotel Meal: Dinner (AYCE served Family style) When: Sunday, May 29, 2005 Menu: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_oh.htm Who: DH and I We first tried this place on our last ...
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

'Ohana Dinner Review 5/29/05

Restaurant: ‘Ohana
    Where: Polynesian Hotel
    Meal: Dinner (AYCE served Family style)
    When: Sunday, May 29, 2005
    Menu: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_oh.htm
    Who: DH and I

We first tried this place on our last trip and fell in love with it. As you may or may not know, ‘Ohana is an all you can eat restaurant served family style. And as far I am concerned, family style is the best way to do “all you can eat.” The restaurant also offers entertainment in the form of kids having coconut races and hula hooping while some Hawaiian woman sings some songs. Also, if you book your meal at the right time you can catch Wishes from inside while you dine.

Your meal starts off with a pineapple and coconut bread as your “cousin” seats you. It was good, but different from the bread we had in December. We placed our drink orders. I was contemplating a Lapu Lapu (Myers rum and tropical juices served in a pineapple and topped with Bacardi 151), but I wanted to enjoy my meal and not fall over from the drink alone. So, DH ordered a piña colada. I ordered an Island Sunset (spiced rum, Malibu, melon liqueur and peach schnapps combined with guava passion fruit juice). DH loved his drink so much; he ordered another one…didn’t finish it though.

Onto the meal! It features your appetizers/sides on a lazy susan that include:
    Stir Fried Green Beans and Onions (We got these minus the bacon.)
    Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
    Shrimp and Vegetable Wonton (We totally skipped these.)
    Honey Coriander Chicken Wings
    Stir-Fried Rice

I love the dressing on the salad and really enjoyed the stir-fried rice. I’m not much into stir-fried rice at all, but I got my fill on this. DH seemed to enjoy the wings; he polished off several of them! Next up….the skewers!

‘Ohana offers you four skewers of meat and they bring them around right from the pit area:
    Grilled Tiger Shrimp (We skipped this totally, but DH had it last time and loved them!)
    Marinated Sirloin Steak
    Mesquite Seasoned Turkey
    Barbecue Pork Loin (We skipped this too since neither one of us eat pork.)
    Dipping Sauces: Fruit, Peanut and Cilantro Ginger
    Mmm...I think the turkey won out this time. Nice and juicy and great in various dipping sauces. I got another helping of the turkey. DH actually liked the fruit dipping sauce on the salad.

We successfully managed to save room for dessert! DH got the coconut ice cream. It was a coconut ice cream covered in toasted coconut. It looked really, really good. Good enough for me to even try some; and I hate coconut. I ordered the Kona coffee and Irish Cream Crème Brulee. Mmmm…crème brulee. What’s not to love about crème brulee I ask you?

Overall the service here was above average. I love how Disney waitstaff/chefs can accommodate various food allergies w/o much notice. I just explain I need to avoid all fish/seafood and for DH no pork products. They then tell us what has what; and we go from there! It’s great.

We’ll be returning to ‘Ohana next trip. It’s one of our favorites.

COMING NEXT: Chef Mickey’s
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Okay, now I have to go try this place! It sounds so good!

Goofygirl is offline Dream Team Wrap Party Alumni - 07,08,09 / Magic Meets Attendee 2005-2009
    Connecticut - 18 hours and 42 minutes away from MK
    Thank you Amanda....I would love a place like this and you convinced her!!!
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    We went there for the first time last year and loved it so much we have a PS for it this year.
    Eric

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    April! If we are there the same time as you, we'll join you! Don't you love it when people just invite themselves?

They just need to add Lilo and Stitch to the breakfast. Come on Disney, what are you waiting for?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...