Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Chef Mickey's Breakfast Review 5/30/05 in the Vacation Planning forums; Restaurant: Chef Mickey’s Where: The Contemporary Meal: Character Breakfast Buffet When: Monday, May 30, 2005 Menu: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cmb.htm Who: DH and I We tried to book this on our last trip. ...
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

Chef Mickey's Breakfast Review 5/30/05

Restaurant: Chef Mickey’s
    Where: The Contemporary
    Meal: Character Breakfast Buffet
    When: Monday, May 30, 2005
    Menu: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_cmb.htm
    Who: DH and I

We tried to book this on our last trip. It was fully booked our entire week back in November/December. I’ve heard so many good things about this place, and how it’s is so many people’s favorite character meal. So, I decided to call ahead and book this PS before our trip to check it out for ourselves.

Admittedly, I am not a big fan of buffets in general. I do keep trying the ones in WDW and Vegas to find one I like. I honestly do not get the appeals of buffets over regular table service meals. I usually end up paying a similar price for better food cooked directly for me and served hot, not mass cooked and place on a buffet…but I digress.

I must say overall, we were not impressed with the food offerings. When I inquired about omelettes I was assuming (you know what they say about that!) they were small made to order ones. Not even close. They were these huge hunks of cooked “eggs” that resembled a meat loaf shape and covered with cheese. DH is convinced they weren’t real eggs.
    Even with the guy cooking the waffles right there, they still were hard and not hot. The only fresh fruit I saw were cantaloupe and honeydew, both of which I do not care for. The other fruits were canned mandarin oranges and pineapple chunks. I did try some sort of breakfast pizza and that was average and potatoes were above average.

The characters are great and we got 6 of them, normally the character meals have 3-5 characters. So the extra characters were a treat. We mingled with Goofy, Dale, Chip, Mickey, Pluto, and Minnie. I talked to Minnie at length about her marital status. She cried on my shoulder, the poor mouse. It’s been over 75 years Mickey. I even asked her if she was a mouse living in sin. She nodded yes. LOL! DH didn’t hear me ask her this; and I’m not sure she heard my question. It made me laugh. I told Dale how he was my favorite and he blew me a kiss. Swooon! I just love Dale. I just love interacting with the characters. Getting photographs and autographs are nice, but it’s the interaction that I really remember.

The service here was average to poor. Our waitress seemed to forget about us after about 10 minutes. It was nice there was a pitcher of coffee on our table. Too bad I don’t drink coffee and DH wasn’t interested that morning. I think we would have preferred a pitcher of juice.

Overall, the character interaction was the best part. Too bad the food/service didn’t pair up. The souvenir picture I would have bought, had my eyes not been closed. They seemed surprised we weren’t purchasing the picture. HELLO MY EYES WERE CLOSED! Sheesh… Anyhow, I highly doubt we’ll be returning here. For a character breakfast, we’ll go back to the breakfast at ‘Ohana.

COMING NEXT: Jiko
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I am sorry you had a bad breakfast here. They can't all be winners, can they?

All I can say is that when my family went, we had a GREAT time and the food was good. There was a bit more in the fruit category, as I don't eat melon either, but I remember eating a plate of fruit. I really enjoyed the krispy kreme doughnuts (YUM!) and some of those mickey waffles, they were not that hot, but they were good.
    The 2 things that made our breakfast awesome were:
    1 - Goofy! We had a PS, but ended up waiting a good 40 minutes for a table. In that time he interacted with my niece and cousin's little girl. They had a great time. Plus, I helped him when people were about to walk into a picture he was taking with someone. He thanked me and I told him I had his back. He was great!
    2 - Our waitress, and I hate it that I can't remember her name. She kept the coffee coming, the juice glasses were always full. And when my niece dragged me back to the table before I could get syrup for my waffle, she went and got some for me. Oh, why did she drag me back - Mickey was entering the room where we were sitting. We just couldn't miss THE MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    I am sorry you had a bad breakfast here. They can't all be winners, can they?
    I was sorta hesistant to post my review of CMs because I know so many people love this place. And you're right, I may have just hit a "off morning." All restaurants can have off days that's for sure. I'm glad your family had a great time!

We were seated about 20 minutes after we arrived with our PS. That was nice considering how busy the place was. Walk ups were being told 45-50 minute waits.

I had a ball with the characters. They truly were the best part of our experience. I love the interaction!
    Amanda

I forgot to include the autographs I got during this meal:

Amanda

Goofygirl is offline Dream Team Wrap Party Alumni - 07,08,09 / Magic Meets Attendee 2005-2009
    Connecticut - 18 hours and 42 minutes away from MK
    I'm making April take me here on our next trip. I think there is food here she will eat and I want to meet GOOFY!
    Janet

Gawrsh! Hyuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofygirl
    I'm making April take me here on our next trip. I think there is food here she will eat and I want to meet GOOFY!

FYI....I think Goofy and Donald alternate at CMs. They don't come around to the tables, they stand in one spot and you meet them. Goofy is at Breakfast, and I think Donald is at the Dinner.
    Amanda

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I did not know that Goofy and Donald switched out at this. But we got to spend a lot of time with Goofy while we waited to be seated.

One thing I have to say is that their "organization" of having you wait after you check in leaves a lot to be desired. If it is crowded, you have families hanging out near the doughnuts while you are trying to get your breakfast. And I had to keep asking how long it would be since we were there close to 30 minutes after we checked in, and after our PS time as well.

disneyc is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Goofy makes rounds at Dinner---Donald is in the front. we went there in July for dinner. It was great!