Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Rich and Ann's DISNEY LAND PARIS trip July 2012 in the Vacation Planning forums; It's less than a week away now so I thought I'd start the offical DLP trip report thread!...
    trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!

Thumbs up Rich and Ann's DISNEY LAND PARIS trip July 2012

It's less than a week away now so I thought I'd start the offical DLP trip report thread!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Re: Rich and Ann's DISNEY LAND PARIS trip July 2012

We leave Saturday 14th July and will be spending 3 nights / 4 days at Disney Land Paris

Our hotel we are staying at is The Hotel New York

As for travel, we will be travelling by Virgin Trains to London and then changing for the Eurostar through the Channel Tunnel and onto Lille where we'll change for a TGV high speed train to Chessy - the DLP station.
    Rich

Disneyland Paris – Trip Report 2012
    SATURDAY 14th JULY 2012 – Day 1
    Today was a very early start as we needed to get up early and catch three different trains to get to Disneyland Paris (DLP). At 6am and with the car packed it was time to set off to Preston to catch our first train (1st class of course!) - a Virgin Pendolino and travel to London Euston. Once in Euston it was a short walk over to London St Pancras where we would catch our next train – A Eurostar to Lille. (There are no direct trains to DLP on Saturdays). Once through passport control, we had a short wait before we could board our Premier Class coach. This was a first for both of us travelling on trains into Europe as we normally fly. Leaving London most of the journey is through tunnels until you hit the Kent countryside. Before we knew it, we were through the Channel Tunnel and into France. The Eurostar is a very smooth train and travels at speeds up to 186mph! Before long, we arrived at Lille Europe where we had a 30minute wait before boarding a French TGV to our destination: Chessy Marne la Vallée or DLP in English!
    From here it was a short walk through the Disney Village to our resort – Disney’s Hotel New York. It is a beautifully and well themed resort and comes highly recommended! Checked-in, bags unpacked and after a short power nap we headed out to the Disney Village. The time was just after 5pm and we headed to The Earl of Sandwich for something to eat. You can’t beat The Earl! We had a look through the stores in the Village including the new World of Disney store spending a few Euros before heading into the Disneyland Park.
    Disneyland Park is very similar to the Magic Kingdom and laid out in a similar fashion. The park was very busy as it was France’s national day – Bastille Day. To this end we decided to take the opportunity to wonder round soaking up the atmosphere and look through the various lands and stores. We did manage to ride it’s a small world, Peter Pan’s Flight, Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor! Disneyland Paris is celebrating its 20th year and there was some great merchandise on sale. Also, the night time parade (Disney’s Fantillusion) and night time show (Disney Dreams) were spectacular! We watched these from a very crowded hub. There was also an additional firework display close to midnight celebrating Bastille Day which was good. The only downside was the busyness of the park and the rudeness of the French people!
    After all this it was time to work our way back down a packed Main Street USA and head back through the Disney Village to our hotel and collapse for the night.
    Rich

More to follow soon when I get time to write it!

Here's a preview (from Youtube of Disney Dreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfjJrrJmIDI
    Rich

I have uploaded many photos to my Photobucket account.

Here is the link: http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...0Paris%202012/
    Rich

SUNDAY 15th July 2012 – Day 2

It wasn’t too early a start to the day as we went to the Walt Disney Studios park which didn’t open until 10am and closed at 7pm. After breakfast we headed on out to the Studios. I love the way you enter this park as though you were actually entering a Studio for real! Once in the main park and after taking several photos of the Walt and Mickey statue, we made a right so that we could work our way round it. Taking pictures along the way, we first came to Aladdin’s Flying carpet and Crush’s Coaster which we decided we’d come back to later as the queues were long. Continuing round we had a look through the new Toy Story playland which looks superb and has many rides and attractions but mainly for the younger visitors.
    Once we’d finished looking around, Ann found a place to sit while I went to ride the ToT. The storyline is very similar to the one in DHS and the drops are just as good! Before having a bite to eat, we decided to ride RnRC which, again, is very similar to the one over at DHS. RnRC ridden, we headed back to the entrance and the area which mimics a large studio. It is has stores down one side and food outlets down the other. One of these outlets is where we decided to grab a burger for lunch. After letting our lunch settle, we popped over to see what the Armageddon special effects show was all about... Let’s just say it was poor and could have been better!
    The park wasn’t overly busy but steady. Our next port of call was the Studio Tram Tour AKA the Backlot tour! This attraction, I think is now better than the one in Florida and also includes Catastrophe Canyon which is always effective.
    The Studios isn’t a large park and nor are there many attractions to do. We looked at the times guide and decided to go and see some shows. The first was Cinemagique – a show about the development of movies starring Martin Short and the second was Animagique – a show starring Mickey, Donald and a whole host of Disney characters. Both were very good! Shows over, we grabbed a drink before finding a spot to watch The Stars and Cars Parade... I loved this parade in DHS and it was nice to see some of it at the Studios even if it was shorter as there were only the cars and no extra characters walking by. A new Ratatouille car has been added which looked cool. By now it had gone 4pm and we thought we’d go back to Crush’s Coaster but the queues were still quite long... Never-mind! The Studios also has the original ‘Moteurs… Action! Stunt Show Spectacular’ (Lights, Motors, Action!) which was all in French and so we decided to miss this too! Instead, we went on The Back lot Tour, ToT and RnRC again!
    Once we’d done all that, we took the opportunity of taking more photos before looking around the various stores within the park. The time was closing in on 6pm and after spending a few Euros, we headed back to our hotel via the Disney Village. Here we freshened up before heading down to one of the bars where we grabbed a snack and a drink including a cocktail before retiring to our room for the evening.
    Rich

MONDAY 16th JULY 2012 – Day 3

The alarm went off shortly before 8am. We got up, dressed and headed on down to the restaurant for breakfast. We were very impressed because there was always plenty to eat and choose from! It was then back to our room to freshen up before heading on out to the Disneyland (Magic Kingdom) park. It is only a short walk through the Village and we were soon having our bags checked and were through the gates and in the park.
    Disneyland Park is set out in the same way as MK and with knowing this, it was easy to navigate. It was just after 9am – an hour into the two our morning magic hour and only a few attractions were open in Tomorrow land. With walking down Main Street – looking in the stores as we went, this is where we headed – taking several photos along the way. Only Buzz and Orbitron were open and these were duly done. Not to waste any time, we continued on round to Fantasy land. It had now gone 10am and the park was ‘officially open’.
    In Fantasy land, we worked our way round through the rides including: IASW, Peter Pan’s Flight and Pinocchio. The queue for Snow White was long so we left that. Fantasy land done, we looked around the various stores and castle before heading into Adventureland. Here we first rode PoTC before heading over to Big Thunder Mountain which had actually broken down and would remain that way all day. Instead we headed round to the Chaparral Theatre where we watched The Tarzan Encounter. It was very similar to Tarzan Rocks minus the band and roller-skates but still very good!
    For lunch, we headed back into the Disney Village to grab a bite to eat. Both feeling a little tired and full, we decided to head back to our room and grab a couple of hours rest. Just after 5pm and back in the park, we headed for the Station and enjoyed a full circular trip of the park ending up back at Main Street. Leaving the station, we both noticed a sign saying we were in ‘The Magic Kingdom’ and not ‘Disneyland Park’!! This time instead of going up Main Street, we looked through the side covered walkways which run parallel to Main Street behind the shops. Once done it was a rest at the hub where we saw the ‘Disney’s 20th Anniversary Celebration Train’ before heading back round to ride The Phantom Manor in Frontierland again. It was now less than an hour away until the parade which was at 7pm and so we headed back round to Main Street to find a spot to watch it. The time flies by pretty quickly when you people watch!
    The Disney Magic Parade was very good and as most Disney parades had a very catchy tune! Parade over and back on our feet, we headed over and looked round the castle before dropping back into Fantasyland one more time. As with Florida, Fantasyland is always busy but we did get to ride IASW again! Time was marching on and it was soon time to watch the night parade – Disney’s Fantillusion again followed by Disney Dreams from the hub in front of the castle. What a great way to end the day before heading back to our resort and collapsing for the night!

DLP is a great place to visit and set out really well with its two parks, Village and several resorts. However, for whatever reason, I feel [personally] that it lacks that magical ‘Disney Touch’. This could be down to the lack of characters you see; the lack of the Photopass people; the cleanliness of the place or the upkeep of the buildings and attractions – who knows? It doesn’t help when the ‘locals’ can be quite rude and smoke where they like including queues for rides! All that said, I would certainly go back one day!
    Rich

TUESDAY 17th JULY 2012 – Day 4

Today was our last day at DLP but sadly our first train back to Lille was at 11:50am and so wouldn’t have any time to visit either of the parks. We were pleased with our last days in the park anyway. We headed down for breakfast just after 9am and once done, headed back to our room to pack, shower and freshen up. It was then time to check out and head back to the station. Our return trip would be the reverse of our outward one: A TGV train from Chessy to Lille followed by a Eurostar train to London St. Pancras.
    Once back in London, we headed to our Travel Lodge where we’d be staying for the night before heading into central London around 3pm. Our first port of call was St. Pauls were we had a look around before heading for something to eat at the close by Earl of Sandwich – the only one in the UK. Our bellies full, we walked down The Strand towards Covent Garden and then onto Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus.

WEDNESDAY 18th JULY 2012

After an early breakfast, I headed out for the tube across London to Victoria station followed by a train down to Gatwick airport to meet Mandy & Colin in from Tampa. Soon after 08:30am we met up and were all pleased to see each other. It was then a case of heading back into Victoria and a tube ride to London Euston before heading north for us all to start a 2 week holiday in Britain!
    Rich

Entrance to the Disneyland Park:

Rich

No readers or comments?!
    Rich

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Rich,

I've been reading. Just finding time to look through the pictures you posted on photobucket. Off topic, how did you like the Eurostar?

The Eurostar was excellent - and fast :-)

Here's a few from where we were sat

Rich

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I like the pics, especially of Main Street and the arcade they setup alongside. The train looks very cool to, nice seats! What did you think of Phantom Manor? How does the Studio compare to DHS?

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Great trip report! Love hearing all about it!!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Love the report Rich, makes me want to go back to DLP so much
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast