Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Adventure is Out There! First Solo Pre-Trip Report! in the Vacation Planning forums; Alrighty, so I booked my trip on March 5th. As soon as I did, I knew I had to find out when my 180 day mark was because I knew ...
    magicalmoments is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Adventure is Out There! First Solo Pre-Trip Report!

Alrighty, so I booked my trip on March 5th. As soon as I did, I knew I had to find out when my 180 day mark was because I knew that ADRs were very important if I wanted to eat anywhere fancy schmancy or very good.

[A little back story: I booked our first trip in 2006 down to a T. I did all the research, I picked which moderate we stayed at (with family's input of course!), and booked all the ADRs (thanks to the DIS!). Lemme tell ya, my family was SO thankful that I planned at least one sit down meal each each day and they didn't have to even think about it. We were happy with all of our TS meals and were so full. That's when they included the appetizer in the meals.]

Now, back to the future!: My ADR 180 day mark was MARCH 10TH!

I had to plan my ADRs within 4 days!

The next day I spent a long time searching allearsnet.com, checking all the menus.

So I woke up at 4am on March 10th because I was told that you could book your ADRs online at 7am EST. I tried and it didn't "find" my reservation.

I went back to sleep and woke up at 5am to call in my ADRs. I got all of them except 'Ohana. I was so bummed about that but I got everything else I wanted.

After checking the dining reservation system almost every night, I finally got a reservation for 'Ohana! I had to decide if I wanted it for my arrival night or Sunday night. I chose it for my arrival night (Thursday) for two reasons:

1. I want to have the most magical first day, obviously that MUST include great food with great ambiance. I've heard such great reviews for 'Ohana that I had to try it.
    2.Wishes is at 10pm on Thursday night, so if I check in at 9/9:15pm for my 9:30 ADR, I might be able to get fireworks seating! I would have missed Wishes on Sunday because it would have been on my way to the Poly.

My ADRS are (as of today):

'Ohana
    Le Cellier
    Donald's Breakfast Safari @ Tusker House
    Cape May Cafe
    Teppan Edo
    Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater
    Coral Reef

No, you haven't miscounted. I do have more ADRs than I do have TS credits. Since I'm getting the dining plan for free, I don't mind paying OOP for an extra meal or two if it means that I get to try out more places.

I'm still iffy about Cape May Cafe, it sounds good in theory but I'm just not 100% sold on it. Thoughts?
    UP NEXT: When and Where?! AKA Creating an Itinerary
    Last edited by magicalmoments; 07-25-2012 at 03:12 AM.

I've made some (okay, a lot) changes to my touring plans because of that still, small voice that says to me, "it's just a little more money..."

I'm upgrading my MYW tickets to 6 day, parkhoppers! Ultimate freedom for touring, still taking advantage of evening EMH since I'm a night owl.

My at-a-glance
    weekly touring plan:

9/6, Thursday ~ Arrival (MK EMH 9pm-12am)

7:30AM - Arrive at MCO
    8:30AM - Check-in at Pop Century, leave luggage at guest services.
    Grab the first bus to the Magic Kingdom!
    9:30PM - 'Ohana

9/7, Friday ~ Epcot (EMH 9pm - 12pm)

7:3oAM be at the bus stop
    1:30PM - Le Cellier
    Midday nap or swim?
    9PM - Illuminations

9/8, Saturday ~ Animal Kingdom (DHS EMH 9pm - 12am)

7AMish - Be at the bus stop
    8:05AM - Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House Restaurant (OOP)
    Hop over to DHS,
    8:30PM - Fantasmic!

9/9, Sunday ~ ?

6:50pm - Teppan Edo

9/10, Monday ~ AK/DHS (AK EMH 8am-9am, DHS EMH 9pm - 12am)

7AM- Bus to AK
    11AMish - Hop over to DHS
    1:15PM - Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (OOP)

9/11, Tuesday ~ Departure Day

11:55AM - Coral Reef
    DTD
    4pm - Magical Express pick-up

Quote Originally Posted by Sare View Post
    I am having the exact same experience as you re: talking about my trip. I basically did the same thing and booked my trip on a whim a few days ago for this October because of the free dining (I upgraded to basic as well). It was just toooo good to pass up. My love and I can eat/sleep/play for less the $2000 total?? Sign me up!

This will be my 22nd trip (Im 29) and my love's 2nd (last one was 30 years ago). It has been about 8 years since I have been there so I have been getting the disny detox blues and just could not stay off the wagon any longer! When I saw Food and Wine and MNSSH.... wow how do you say no??

So I booked my trip, spent 4 solid day obsessing over ADR and how to best use the table service credits (while being sure not to miss the fireworks, and visit parks during EMH and minimal hopping). What a task! But now that that is all finished, I am filling my time by researching ride history (now that im an adult I just HAD to know every detail of the HM and how it was accomplished). I carpool to work and have been subjecting my carpoolers with podcasts and park soundtracks.... a get groans at the office while I recount my latest disney fact every morning... I have reached an obsessed tipping point.

Long story short... I am on this anticipation/obsession journey with you.... keep posting about your plans and prep!

I love that I can finally take advantage of free dining since I'm done with school.
    Glad to have you along!

I have to keep my Disney talk on the dl because no one around me is as crazy about it as I am, kinda sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by prickle View Post
    Jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    Can't wait!! I need to live vicariously through these trip reports, until I can go!
    I do the same thing, even right now. A good trip report a day, keeps the Disney-detox blues away!

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Sounds like it's gonna' be an awesome trip!

Have eaten at 'Ohana a coupla' times. The pot stickers and the sauces at the beginning of the meal are enough to get me back there! Not to mention the occasional Lapu Lapu...!

Have eaten at Teppan Edo once before. It was fun and the food was pretty darn good.

Have eaten at Sci-Fi many times before. The food has always been decent, but the atMOUSEfere is what really makes it.

Have eaten at Coral Reef twice before. Again, great atmosphere and the food has been great each time!

Enjoy!
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    Sounds like it's gonna' be an awesome trip!

Have eaten at 'Ohana a coupla' times. The pot stickers and the sauces at the beginning of the meal are enough to get me back there! Not to mention the occasional Lapu Lapu...!

Have eaten at Teppan Edo once before. It was fun and the food was pretty darn good.

Have eaten at Sci-Fi many times before. The food has always been decent, but the atMOUSEfere is what really makes it.

Have eaten at Coral Reef twice before. Again, great atmosphere and the food has been great each time!

Enjoy!
    Glad to hear that the places I've chosen are good
    I ate at Sci-Fi and Coral Reef on my last trip and really enjoyed them.

Post Re: Adventure is Out There! First Solo Pre-Trip Report!

Hooray

I was able to find an earlier time for 'Ohana; Instead of 9:30pm, it's at 6:25pm. That gives me plenty of time to eat and make my way back to the park for Wishes. I've been searching for weeks! I decided against seeing Wishes at 'Ohana because I really want the whole immersive experience. I don't think we stopped to see any fireworks last time. It's my plan to see all the biggies (Wishes, Illuminations, and Fantasmic!) this time around. I don't mind waiting an hour or so early for a good viewing spot.

40 days until departure, 41 days until I arrive at WDW (red eye).

I'm on the lookout for my Mickey Mail now!
    Last edited by magicalmoments; 07-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Thought I'd post some updates:

• Mickey Mail arrived
    • I'm 26 days out
    • SUPER EXCITED
    • My flight got pushed up so now I arrive a whole hour earlier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12