Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Adventure is Out There! First Solo Pre-Trip Report! in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm very happy to welcome you to this very special pre-trip report. I'm taking my own 'Spirit of Adventure' and heading to sunny Florida for my first solo trip to ...
    magicalmoments is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking Adventure is Out There! Flying Solo - A PTR

I'm very happy to welcome you to this very special pre-trip report. I'm taking my own 'Spirit of Adventure' and heading to sunny Florida for my first solo trip to Walt Disney World!

So, pack your bags and get ready!

ADVENTURERS:

Cristabel, 23, just graduated from college (insert angels singing here) and this is my first time flying transcontinental by myself. I love Disney. Plain and simple. I love everything about it and it's one of the few things on this physical world that I'm passionate about, aside from family.

ADVENTURE:

My first solo trip to Walt Disney World.
    5 night, 6 days WITH free dining. I sprung for upgrading to the regular DP because well, I like food. But then again, who doesn't right?

WHEN:
    September 6th - 11th

WHY:
    I had wanted to go to Walt Disney World my entire life. Finally my wish came true when my dad took our family in 2006 for my high school graduation. I've been dying to get back ever since and now that I graduated college, I have the time and money! (okay, maybe not money but I managed somehow )
    Last edited by magicalmoments; 07-30-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: updated

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Re: Adventure is Out There! First Solo Pre-Trip Report!

Congratulations on the trip...AND your graduation!

We just got back from a trip with 13 people on it...our family of 5, another family of 5, oldest DD's BF (now fiance' - they got engaged in front of the castle on her b-day!), oldest DD's BFF, and youngest DD's BFF. Wouldn't trade it for anything and the memories will be with us forever! It was fabulously Magical!!!

It would have been fun to take a trip by myself back in the day when I was unattached, though. Hope you have a blast!
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    Congratulations on the trip...AND your graduation!

We just got back from a trip with 13 people on it...our family of 5, another family of 5, oldest DD's BF (now fiance' - they got engaged in front of the castle on her b-day!), oldest DD's BFF, and youngest DD's BFF. Wouldn't trade it for anything and the memories will be with us forever! It was fabulously Magical!!!

It would have been fun to take a trip by myself back in the day when I was unattached, though. Hope you have a blast!
    Thank you so much
    That sounds like a very fun trip. If I ever won the lotto, I'd like to plan a grand gathering with my closest aunts, uncles and cousins. There are 22 of us all together, and these are the ones I see on a regular basis.

Thanks for joining my adventure planning!

Setting up for an Adventure!

How this adventure came to be:

Let's travel back to March 2012. I was at my apartment, surfing the web as usual. I had been to NYC in January and I was reminiscing about what a great trip it had been and how I really need to book more vacations.

Have you seen the Bing commercial about search overload and how how people associated what seemed like random works together?

Well when I think of vacation, I think Disney. Disneyland. Disney World.
    BINGO.

At this time I had a steady job with at least 30 hours a week. There would be no problem saving for the trip. So that puts the whole "you don't have money" issue to bed with my parents.

I had saved a paycheck in my purse that week and after the idea of taking a vacation popped into my head for the 4749083 time, I knew I had to price out a trip and see if I could afford it. I opened up the WDW section and lo and behold I see it.

"FREE DINING WATCH"

Hmm, that looks enticing. I opened the thread and read a post that the free dining had been announced for Disney Visa cardholders the week before and that they were expecting it to be open to the general public soon.

I zoomed over to the Disney World website and BEHOLD there it was under special offers.

They opened it to the general public THAT DAY!
    I booked it faster than you could say Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

And then I kinda freaked out.

I mean, WHAT DID I JUST DO?!
    I just made a grown up decision. So I was a little scared but mostly excited. This would be a great adventure and I wasn't going to let a little fear make me back out.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Woohooo!! Can't wait to hear more about it
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Wow! How exciting for you. I have done 2 trips with 2 or 3 days alone at the resort and days on my own in the park, with son being a CM but have never ventured the whole time by myself.

Exploring parks on your own is so much fun, getting to do what you want, when you want. It is kinda cool.
    Meals are great too because aside from your ADR's you get to eat and snack when you want. It is amazing how many people just start conversations with you when they notice in a queue you are on your own.

Have an amazing time.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    Woohooo!! Can't wait to hear more about it
    Thanks for reading along

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Wow! How exciting for you. I have done 2 trips with 2 or 3 days alone at the resort and days on my own in the park, with son being a CM but have never ventured the whole time by myself.

Exploring parks on your own is so much fun, getting to do what you want, when you want. It is kinda cool.
    Meals are great too because aside from your ADR's you get to eat and snack when you want. It is amazing how many people just start conversations with you when they notice in a queue you are on your own.

Have an amazing time.
    I am SUPER excited. I think it's got to the point where I annoy anyone who knows I'm going because I keep bringing up my ADRs and the countdown. I think they're just a little bit jealous and don't want to admit it

Sare is offline A-Ticket holder

I am having the exact same experience as you re: talking about my trip. I basically did the same thing and booked my trip on a whim a few days ago for this October because of the free dining (I upgraded to basic as well). It was just toooo good to pass up. My love and I can eat/sleep/play for less the $2000 total?? Sign me up!

This will be my 22nd trip (Im 29) and my love's 2nd (last one was 30 years ago). It has been about 8 years since I have been there so I have been getting the disny detox blues and just could not stay off the wagon any longer! When I saw Food and Wine and MNSSH.... wow how do you say no??

So I booked my trip, spent 4 solid day obsessing over ADR and how to best use the table service credits (while being sure not to miss the fireworks, and visit parks during EMH and minimal hopping). What a task! But now that that is all finished, I am filling my time by researching ride history (now that im an adult I just HAD to know every detail of the HM and how it was accomplished). I carpool to work and have been subjecting my carpoolers with podcasts and park soundtracks.... a get groans at the office while I recount my latest disney fact every morning... I have reached an obsessed tipping point.

Long story short... I am on this anticipation/obsession journey with you.... keep posting about your plans and prep!

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An updating storm is headed your way

The question I kept getting asked!

So where was I?
    Oh yes, I was freaking out.
    I mean wouldn't you freak out just a little bit if you just committed to your first week long SOLO vacation that's ACROSS THE COUNTRY?
    I was pulling a Rapunzel for sure. (Remember when she gets out of the tower for the first time? )

Now, to share the news with my family

I expected a bigger reaction from my parents but they were supportive and happy for me. I think they were more "yeah, sure. right, mhmm." then anything. Oh well, if they don't believe me that's not my problem. It was going to happen!

Now, when my non-immediate family (don't like the word extended, it's my aunts, uncles and grandparents and we are all really close) found out, well that's a different story.
    EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER kept asking, "You're going alone?!" "Ay, mija noooo."
    "But that's so sad!" (mija is Spanish slang for 'mi hija' or 'my daughter' but it's also used as a term of endearment for nieces and granddaughters)

I was to say the least. It didn't phase me, slightly annoyed me? Yes. But these people weren't "my people". Disney people.

I'm a very independent person. That doesn't mean I'm anti-social, I've just learned to be confident on my own.

It seems only DISers can grasp that a solo trip to the World can and will be an amazing experience.

Sure, sometimes I freak out when I let it really sink in but I shake myself out of it because it's going to be awweeesoooooome.

that's all for this post.

UP NEXT:
    You want HOW MUCH for an airplane ticket?!
    aka Cristabel searches for a good deal

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Can't wait!! I need to live vicariously through these trip reports, until I can go!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

So where was I?
    Oh yes, I was freaking out.

I mean wouldn't you freak out just a little bit if you just committed to your first week long SOLO vacation that's ACROSS THE COUNTRY?

I was pulling a Rapunzel for sure. (Remember when she gets out of the tower for the first time? )

Now, to share the news with my family

I expected a bigger reaction from my parents but they were supportive and happy for me. I think they were more "yeah, sure. right, mhmm." then anything. Oh well, if they don't believe me that's not my problem. It was going to happen!

Now, when my non-immediate family (don't like the word extended, it's my aunts, uncles and grandparents and we are all really close) found out, well that's a different story.
    EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER kept asking, "You're going alone?!" "Ay, mija noooo." "But that's so sad!" (mija is Spanish slang for 'mi hija' or 'my daughter' but it's also used as a term of endearment for nieces and granddaughters)

I was to say the least. It didn't phase me, slightly annoyed me? Yes. But these people weren't "my people". Disney people.

I'm a very independent person. That doesn't mean I'm anti-social, I've just learned to be confident on my own.

It seems only DISers can grasp that a solo trip to the World can and will be an amazing experience.

Sure, sometimes I freak out when I let it really sink in but I shake myself out of it because it's going to be awweeesoooooome.

that's all for this post.

UP NEXT:
    You want HOW MUCH for an airplane ticket?!
    aka Cristabel searches for a good deal
    Last edited by magicalmoments; 07-25-2012 at 02:43 AM.

I knew airfare would be a pain the butt.
    I was getting a stellar deal for a 5 night, 6 day stay at a value resort with 5 day MYW ticket and FREE dining. This is why I always explain to people who have expressed interest in going to WDW but don't because of the cost. The hotel, tickets and food can be pretty reasonable if you do your research and plan ahead. But now I'm preaching to choir, right guys?
    Anyway, airfare from CA to FL is not cheap. The first quotes I received were WAY to expensive.

Quick shout out to Kayak.com, seriously one of the best places to find the best priced airfare.

I set up an alert that would send me a weekly e-mail notice to let me know whether my desired flight dates & times went down, stayed the same, or went up in price. Now I know many people use travel agencies but that's just not for me. I'm not type A about anything but travel planning. I love it, I find it a lot of fun and get excited when I find great deals. It's one of the reason I majored in Communication with a focus in entertainment.

About two weeks after I booked my vacation package, I got an alert for a red-eye direct flight arriving in Orlando SUPER early on my check-in date.

I absolutely hate wasting a whole day flying. It just puts me in a very blah mood; kinda messes with my mojo. The first time I was able to take a red-eye was in January, when I went to NYC for a weekend with friends. It wasn't the best flying experience (couldn't catch one Z!) but it was great knowing I had a whole day in the city when I got off the plane.

The price was the lowest I'd seen and I'd be flying with Delta. I've flown with them before and it's better than Virgin Airlines, that's for sure. Aside from their pimp status interior purple lights, it is very lacking.

So I booked it and paid in cash. I was determined not to accrue any debt paying for this trip.

Lemme just tell you, SUCH A GOOD DECISION!
    Now the same flight is now $500 BEFORE taxes
    I even got to choose my seat, aisle seat all the way.

Apparently aisle seats are normally not a good choice because people want to get in and out but considering this is a red-eye, I don't anticipate too many issues. I need my space, and easy access to get up and use the restroom if need.

UP NEXT: ADRs and the 180-Day Mark Lookout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast