Restaurant: Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki
Where: Japan Pavilion in Epcot
Meal: Lunch
When: Wednesday, June 1, 2005
Menu: http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_tepl.htm
Who: DH, I, and a family of 5

We ate at Teppanyaki on our last trip. DH really likes it. I suspect he likes it because itís currently the only Asian restaurant I am willing to eat at. And also, the food is pretty good here. There is nothing too exotic or any ďhidden elementsĒ that one with food allergies would have to be concerned about. Teppanyaki is a communal dining room, which means you will be seated with other groups until you reach the table maximum of 8 persons. Your meal is cooked and entertained before you by a Japanese chef. It turns out the family we were dining with were celebrating one of their daughterís 19th birthday. They were a pleasant family, and it was nice sharing our table with them.

After perusing the menu and realizing we were hungry since we skipped breakfast, we decided not to share our food and order separate appetizers/entrees/etc. We did order some smoothies. I got the Ichigo (strawberries, pineapple, and lemon juice), it was really yummy. I liked it better than the Mikan (mandarin orange, pineapple and lemon juice) that DH ordered.

I decided to get the Garden Salad which is basically mixed greens (mainly icebergÖblechÖiceberg my least favorite of the lettuces), tomato, cucumber, and carrots topped with a ginger dressing. I really didnít eat much of it. It wasnít that good. I know some love thee ginger dressing, but itís not for me. DH got the Misoshiru Soup in place of the salad. Itís a soybean soup with tofu and seaweed. I tried a taste, it was okay. It didnít really have a strong flavor, but DH enjoyed it. Our chef informed us this soup was very healthy and one of the many reasons he gave us for Japanese to live long healthier lives.

For our entrťe we both ordered the Tonosama, which is a combination dish of New York sirloin and chicken. Since one of the daughters in the other party ordered shrimp, our food was cooked first to avoid any contamination. Side note, we have a similar place like this at home. I ate there once and they did not cook my chicken separately from the shrimp. I learned quickly how shrimp really affects me from that place, so I am very grateful that Disney restaurants really understand when I say ďno fish/seafoodĒ I mean it. Your entrees are served with grilled fresh vegetables, udon, noodles and steamed rice. Grilled veggies included: onions, mushrooms, sprouts, and zucchini. You are also given two sauces for dipping. One was yellowish and the other brownish red, and everyone gets their own little dishes with the dips. Both good, and I was a dipping away with everything! I could double dip without reprisal! L OL!

We looked over the dessert menu and decided on splitting an order of the Chestnut Mousse. It was very different, and not bad. Iím not much of a chestnut fan, but decided to give it a shot. Itís mousse after all! I think I would have loved a hazelnut mousse more.

Our chef was quite informative. He showed us the proper way to eat a bowl of rice in Japan. Apparently I was doing it wrong when he looked at me, so he took my bowl to show the table the proper way. He also explained why the Japanese donít eat the amount of beef we do, mainly due to cost. They just donít have the land we do to raise the animals. I think a trip to Japan would be challenging with my food allergies since they do consume a lot of fish/seafood, I may have to go vegetarian if we did or pay out he wazoo for chicken/beef. I still want to try that Kobe Beef though. It was fun. DH was getting quite a kick out of our chef. I love the chefs here, they are fun and informative with great senses of humor.

Here is a picture of the veggies being cooked:

COMING NEXT: The Hollywood Brown Derby