Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Summer's Day at Disenyland in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, I had just about finished a nice long trip report before my junky computer decided to freeze & I lost everything! Sorry... As you can imagine, I'm in a ...
    4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"

Summer's Day at Disenyland

Well, I had just about finished a nice long trip report before my junky computer decided to freeze & I lost everything! Sorry... As you can imagine, I'm in a mood now! So... I'll just type it all in here without any of my cute little pictures. (sorry). Ok... So, we get to the DL gates & I can't wait to get through the turnstiles. It's an odd feeling thinking you should know where you are, but things aren't quite right (being a WDW vet). My first order of business was my golden ears. As we made our way towards Main Street USA, I anxiously looked for Sleeping Beauty Castle... which was very disappointing. Even though I knew it was much smaller, nothing could prepare me for what I saw! The penny arcade & cinema made up for any disappointment the castle gave. It was great to walk in both of these places & not find a STORE!!! We walked towards the somewhat empty tomorrowland. We hit the new Buzz lightyear & Autopia. I was lucky enough to drive a golden car! I was so very excited about that. I also liked the special autopia license they give you as you ride! What a great way to start the day!
    Next, we headed towards fantasyland. We hit the Matterhorn since it was easiest to spot. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed with it. I loved how It's a Small World was set apart from everything else... it was in it's own little world. Boarding outside was such a nice touch as well. It was great getting in the little boat in the warm california sun! We hit Mr. Toad, Pinochio's Adventures, Alice in Wonderland, stopped for the Sword in the Stone show & watched Hook & Pan play a game of hide & go seek. I did love that the characters in DL are a little more free to roam around. I never saw a line anywhere to "meet" a character. It made it a little mroe personal. We grabbed a quick lunch next to the canal boats & watched Casey Jr. make it's rounds. We hopped on the canal boats for a trip around fairy tale land whcih was really neat. I enjoyed the boat ride.
    While we were walking around fantasyland, I noticed somone climbing the Matterhorn. I thought it was the daily climbers, but no- it was my own pal Mickey Mouse! He climbed that mountain all by himself- well, that & the help of the others in the park!
    After we left fantasyland towards new orleans & cirtter country... I became completely lost!!! I knew I wanted to ride Splash Mountain & thanks to RU's great single rider tip, we only waited about 3 mintues. Had we not asked about the SR line, we would have had to wait. The normal SR que was closed. It was almost like a "secret". I was very thankful of my DWT friends at this point! After splashing down, I convinced my DH to canoe around Tom Sawyer's Island with me. Even though the little kid in front of me didn't know what he was doing & my left arm was a little sore, I enjoyed the canoe ride. I wouldn't have minded going around one more time, but the DH put his foot down on that one. So... we sort of went back through critter country towards N.O. Square to visit the Haunted Mansion. I like the feel of DL's HM better. It's sort of more creepy. We also hit my favorite Pirates! I liked how the people eating dinner could watch us as we began our journey. (I still like WDW's pirates better). As we were walking around N.O. Square, I tried to get into Club 33, but for some reason, I just couldn't get in.
    We were getting excited about Indiana in Adventure land, but went ahead & grabbed a Fast Pass. I made my DH sit through the original Walt Disneys' Enchanted Tiki Room (which I remembered most of the original lyrics) while eating my Dole Whip! We also took a ride on a jungle cruise. Ok, I have to admit, there is one scene in the DL attraction that WDW does not have & it scared me! I think I jumped 3 feet! I won't ruin it for anyone, but those of you who have been to both know exactly when I'm talking about! (towards the end).
    Since we had another 2 hours before our FP, we decided to see where the monorail would take us. So... we got to visit downtown disney. We ate dinner outside at the La Brea Bakery cafe. Then I was able to hit the World of Disney Store for a bit of quick shopping. We walked back to DL (which was soooo cool not to spend an hour in transportation from one place to the next). We got in line for the Indiana Jones ride & were both excited since neither of us knew what to expect. It really was a great ride. I love the theme, & I love the climatic ending. Since we still had time, we went back to fantasyland to ride the teacups which were a lot of fun.
    We went towards MS to watch the fireworks. As soon as I heard the "Wishes" music, my heard did 3 leaps! I even teared up while listening to it. As soon as I heard Walt's voice, I got chills all over. It was a beautiful show. We hurried to wait for the train to take us to critter country so we could see Fantasmic, which again was wonderful. I loved the Pan scene in it. We waited in line to puchase our picture in front of Sleeping Beauty castle... uhm... apartment... since it was our first time there.
    So... by the time we finished with that, the streets were nearly empty. I walked around the sidewalk, stopping to gaze at the castle. I realized at this point what was so special about this place. This is where Mr. Walt walked. This is where he planned, this is where he stopped to talk to his guests. At that point, after midnight in a nearly empty park, I had lived Walt's dream for one entire day to the fullest! As exhausted as I was, it was still hard to leave. As we neared the train station, I turned to look at the castle one more time, and for some reason... it seemed bigger & more beautiful than it had at first. I guess I just had to stop & size everything up.
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Main differences for me between DL & WDW

Things I liked better about DL:
    I liked how DL, DCA & DD were all so close together. It would make park hopping much easier.
    I liked DL's toontown better- it seemed more like a little town than WDWs :mickey:
    I loved the Main Street attractions that weren't filled with merchandise!
    I liked the nostalgic feel of DL
    I liked how the characters had a little more freedom than they do at WDW
    I loved all of the 50th Celebration murals they had everywhere

What I like better about WDW:
    Well, WDW is my "home" so honestly, there is no comparsion.
    I like how WDW hides their "progress"
    WDW seemed to be a little more clean & had that extra touch

Just my humble opinion & observations.

"What are you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Sounds like a wonderful day, Summer. Thanks for sharing!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Excellent report!

Just FYI, I got chills when I read about you hearing Walt's voice! Yes, I know...I'm a dork.
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

No, Taylor, you're not a dork... if you are, this is a whole site of dorks!

"What are you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I will admit I am a Disney Dork!

I am glad you had a good time at DL. I agree, being a WDW veteran, I like it better and it is hard to not compare. But I loved the differences between them as well. Unfortunately, I was not able to see the nighttime shows....sniff sniff.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Hey Summer I loved your report. I haven't been to DL in so long so it's look like we have to go and check it out. Great job.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Thanks everyone for all of your kind words.
    I had a great time while at DL. I can't wait to go back & experience California Adventure one day.

"What are you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!