Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014 in the Vacation Planning forums; Just booked my annual WDW vacation. Usually I do the second week in December, but I've decided to forego Christmas this year and go for Halloween instead. And as a ...
  1. #1
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Just booked my annual WDW vacation. Usually I do the second week in December, but I've decided to forego Christmas this year and go for Halloween instead. And as a creature of habit, I always do my five nights at my DVC home resort, Wilderness Lodge. I wanted to try someplace new this time, but couldn't figure out which resort to pick. So instead, I picked... all of them.

    Friday night: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Saturday night: Boardwalk
    Sunday night: Grand Floridian
    Monday night: Bay Lake Tower
    Tuesday night: Wilderness Lodge

    My loose itinerary so far looks like this:
    Friday - fly in after work, have nice diner, and relax
    Saturday - if my wife wants to, well visit Universal. Otherwise, we'll probably visit the Premium Outlets, meet friends for dinner, then walk the Boardwalk loop before bed
    Sunday - sleep in, visit Downtown Disney, drive my wife to the airport, and head back for Mickey's Halloween Party.
    Monday - Backstage Magic tour, and then maybe visit a few other resorts
    Tuesday - Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Studios, and back to Epcot for the evening
    Wednesday - character breakfast, then off to Universal if I don't go on Saturday, otherwise maybe a few other resorts, and then fly home

    Whirlwind trip, but I'm looking forward to it!! No ADR's, no FastPass+ reservations, no Magic Your Way Length of Stay tickets, no overpriced meal plan. Just gonna go with the flow.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  2. #2
    zeusywoo's Avatar
    zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    12,035

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Sounds like you have a nice plan. My sister in law did that in Hawaii, different place every night they thought it was great. We did a 2 night stay at Bay Lake then a 3 night at Boardwalk. Have a great time. Looking forward to reading your report.
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 AKLJ & BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar







  3. #3
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Thanks! Guess I'll need to update my ticker now and change it from my usual December trip! This will be my first time staying anywhere other than the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. I've walked through most of the other resorts with the exception of Bay Lake and obviously Grand Floridian, so this should be fun!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  4. #4
    Evilduckqueen's Avatar
    Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    2,608

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    I look forward to reading all about it, and seeing photos!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

  5. #5
    ohiodisneydad's Avatar
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Middletown, OH
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Wait, did I really see you mention going to Universal??? OH, THE HORROR!!!

    In all seriousness, I enjoy your trip reports. You hit the parks like a man on a mission. I respect that!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort





  6. #6
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    478

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Universal??

    How have you not been banned yet?

  7. #7
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    Universal??

    How have you not been banned yet?
    Exactly. Still, with the cooler rides and now Springfield and the second phase of Harry Potter (which I hear is just amazing... blows a silly Dwarf coaster and 'new Fantasyland' out of the water), I'm looking forward to it. Plus with Halloween Horror Nights!!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  8. #8
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Added a day and revised my itinerary. The Bell Hop service is going to kill me by the end of my stay.

    Friday night Grand Floridian
    Saturday night Boardwalk
    Sunday night Wilderness Lodge
    Monday night Bay Lake Tower
    Tuesday night Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Thursday night Saratoga Springs

    Loose Agenda
    Fly in Friday night, hit Walmart, and check in
    Saturday visit the Outlets and walk the Boardwalk in the evening
    Sunday Universal Studios, drive my wife back to the airport (unless she decides to spend the week), and the Halloween Party at night
    Monday is the Backstage Magic Tour (thank god for the DVC discount, because $250 is nuts!), then Halloween Horror Nights at Universal
    Tuesday will be Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, maybe Magic Kingdom, and end at Epcot
    Wednesday is resort hopping, and dinner at Bahama Breeze (a staple visit during my stays at WDW)
    Thursday will be a leisurely walk over to Downtown Disney from the Grandstand at Saratoga Springs, then fly home at 7pm

    Two months out, and ZERO Fast Pass+ or ADR's. And I wouldn't have it an other way.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  9. #9
    ohiodisneydad's Avatar
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Middletown, OH
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Exactly. Still, with the cooler rides and now Springfield and the second phase of Harry Potter (which I hear is just amazing... blows a silly Dwarf coaster and 'new Fantasyland' out of the water), I'm looking forward to it. Plus with Halloween Horror Nights!!
    Springfield is really neat. Theming is good. Colors are bright. I had a Flaming Moe and it was pretty good, but it was no Butter Beer. I recommend grabbing a Krusty Burger and Lard Boy donut. Only downer was no grape squishy machine in the Quick-e-Mart.

    We just missed the Harry Potter expansion on our trip this year. So I'm taking the family back for a one day "Mike inspired" Universal power visit next year we go down for daughter's 16th birthday trip
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort





  10. #10
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Springfield is really neat. Theming is good. Colors are bright. I had a Flaming Moe and it was pretty good, but it was no Butter Beer. I recommend grabbing a Krusty Burger and Lard Boy donut. Only downer was no grape squishy machine in the Quick-e-Mart.

    We just missed the Harry Potter expansion on our trip this year. So I'm taking the family back for a one day "Mike inspired" Universal power visit next year we go down for daughter's 16th birthday trip
    Thanks for the recommendations. Tasty or otherwise, I will not miss the Krusty Burger! On my last trip, they were finishing up the facades but nothing was open, so I can't wait to experience Springfield. And Transformers wasn't open last time, either.

    I wasn't a fan of the first Harry Potter area. Nicely themed, but it's too tight. I hope they fixed that up with the new area. I hear the train is a great experience, too. It will be nice not to have to leave and walk ALL the way around to Islands of Adventure. The walk from the parking deck through City Walk and then over to the two parks is enough. I liken it to the walk from the resorts through the shopping district and over to the two parks at Disneyland Paris.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  11. #11
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    478

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Exactly. Still, with the cooler rides and now Springfield and the second phase of Harry Potter (which I hear is just amazing... blows a silly Dwarf coaster and 'new Fantasyland' out of the water), I'm looking forward to it. Plus with Halloween Horror Nights!!
    I can't wait to go see the HP expansion. Wife and I had our first serious talk about when we would go to WDW/Universal again the other night, ending up conferring that it would be best to wait a couple of years for the hype around Diagon Alley to die down a bit to make it more enjoyable with a small child.

  12. #12
    supernova's Avatar
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I can't wait to go see the HP expansion. Wife and I had our first serious talk about when we would go to WDW/Universal again the other night, ending up conferring that it would be best to wait a couple of years for the hype around Diagon Alley to die down a bit to make it more enjoyable with a small child.
    Can't blame you on that one. I'm a bit concerned over the crowds when I get there, especially since things just opened this summer. I was originally going to Universal over the weekend, but I think the local and weekend vacation crowds might be a bit much. So I've switched it out to Wednesday instead. Maybe midweek will be better, with schools back in session only a couple of weeks earlier, and being sandwiched between the Labor Day and Columbus Day holidays.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

    Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.


  13. #13
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    478

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Can't blame you on that one. I'm a bit concerned over the crowds when I get there, especially since things just opened this summer. I was originally going to Universal over the weekend, but I think the local and weekend vacation crowds might be a bit much. So I've switched it out to Wednesday instead. Maybe midweek will be better, with schools back in session only a couple of weeks earlier, and being sandwiched between the Labor Day and Columbus Day holidays.
    Sounds like a good plan, best you could possibly do anyway. I wonder what the school calendar is like abroad, and if foreign crowds would still be an issue?

  14. #14
    ohiodisneydad's Avatar
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Middletown, OH
    Posts
    1,461

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the first Harry Potter area. Nicely themed, but it's too tight. I hope they fixed that up with the new area. I hear the train is a great experience, too. It will be nice not to have to leave and walk ALL the way around to Islands of Adventure. The walk from the parking deck through City Walk and then over to the two parks is enough. I liken it to the walk from the resorts through the shopping district and over to the two parks at Disneyland Paris.
    I was shocked at how small Universal made Wizarding World. They had to know how popular the area would be. I will say that as successful of an area as this is, their one fail is there's just not enough to do in the first area. Everything else is amazing and I can't wait to go back to see the next phase.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort





  15. #15
    StewbotTalborg's Avatar
    StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    478

    Re: Mike's Pre-Pre-Pre Trip Report for September 2014

    Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I was shocked at how small Universal made Wizarding World. They had to know how popular the area would be. I will say that as successful of an area as this is, their one fail is there's just not enough to do in the first area. Everything else is amazing and I can't wait to go back to see the next phase.
    I hope you consider shopping something to "do", because aside from Gringots, there are no attractions in the whole land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mike's 2-Day/6-Park MLK Weekend Solo Trip Report
    By supernova in forum Trip Reports & Member Reviews
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  2. Our modest trip report from September...
    By grumpy of ohio in forum Trip Reports & Member Reviews
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
  3. Mike's solo December trip report
    By supernova in forum Trip Reports & Member Reviews
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
  4. September B-day Pre-trip report!!
    By MinneTinK in forum Trip Reports & Member Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
  5. September Pre-Trip report (aka, am I insane?!)
    By mritty in forum Trip Reports & Member Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •