Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Disneyland Trip Report, 8/28/05 (Day 1) in the Vacation Planning forums; I have also posted this on the Disneyland section of the forums....this board gets much more traffic! Also, I have edited in some comments about the difference I noticed between ...
    sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Disneyland Trip Report, 8/28/05 (Day 1)

I have also posted this on the Disneyland section of the forums....this board gets much more traffic! Also, I have edited in some comments about the difference I noticed between Disneyland and WDW, since most of the readers of this forum are much more familiar with Florida.

We arrived at LAX on Friday afternoon, picked up the rental car, and started our journey to the Anaheim Plaza, 30 miles south of LA but right across the street from Disneyland. I must admit, it was a bit strange to be "across the street' from a Disney park, after my many visits to the huge Florida resort. The Matterhorn was visible from the freeway, and the Monorail traveled right above Harbor Blvd like the El train in Philly. Cool, but still weird! I also found it interesting that Disneyland has an exit from the freeway (I-5) that goes directly into the parking structure, talk about corporate pull!

The party included myself, my wife, and my 6 year old daughter. My daughter has been spoiled by 2 trips to WDW in her short lifespan, and now she was being treated to Disneyland, where Uncle Walt (as we refer to Walt Disney) actually walked around and planned things.

Now, as we had flown clear across the country from Philadelphia, we were kinda jet-lagged, and decided to spend Friday relaxing by the pool. Southern California was in the grip of a heat wave, with temperatures in the mid-to upper 90's, which made the pool that much more enjoyable.

We had tips that Saturdays at Disneyland were very crowded, and since we had 7 more days to spend there, we decided to tour LA and Hollywood that day. It was very hard to not go to the park, especially since I could see the Tower of Terror from my hotel balcony, but I wanted to make sure our park experience got off on the right foot. We saw the Hollywood sign and spent some time (not money, thank you) on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills and Hollywood Boulevard (seedier than I imagined).

Finally, Sunday rolled around. First, we went to the Lilo & Stitch character breakfast at the Paradise Pier hotel. The food was good for a buffet, and my daughter was delighted by the character interaction...she got autographs from Lilo & Stitch, as well as Pluto, Minnie, and Chip & Dale. A rousing start so far!

We walked back to Downtown Disney, and from there we took the monorail to Tomorrowland. I wanted to make the grand entrance on Main Street, but I was outvoted....

We disembarked from the monorail, checked our map, and headed right for Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. The wait was 30 minutes, but we got Fastpasses and rode twice ina row. I think DL's version is better than WDW's, you can remove the laser gun and shoot at targets on the ceiling. Also, you can email a picture of your score, for FREE, at a computer terminal at the end of the ride.

I then got a fastpass for the new, improved Space Mountain. Though it was still early, the standby wait was already 60 minutes, and my fastpass didn't let me on until about 4 PM, a good 5 hours from when I got it. Undaunted, we went to Star Tours, which is the same enjoyable ride as the WDW version.

From there, went to Fantasyland, and jumped on Peter Pan's Flight (a 20 minute wait), then went right to Mr. Toad. An old favorite of mine from WDW, I enjoyed the heck out of it, but my daughter was dismayed about the **** sequence at the end.
    (con'd)
    Last edited by sterm26; 09-18-2005 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Explanation
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Part II

By now, we were hungry again aftger our very filling buffet breakfast and decided to stop at Redd Rockets Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. 31 dollars and 3 cases of heartburn later, we wondered if would have been worth it to go out of the park and buy lunch at Dennys or someplace....

Anyway, we soldiered on, and found ourselves with a nice view of Mickey climbing the Matterhorn, as Minnie and Goofy cheered him on. This was the Disneyland I'd heard about! Soon after, we found a bench on the parade route, and were treated to a front row view of the 50th Anniversary parade. This was defintitely a highlight of our visit, the parade featured almost every importatnt Disney character,and incorporated Walt's voice into the dance routines. 5 stars for this one!

I finally took advantage of my Space Mountain fastpass, and I must say that the new ride blows WDW's mountain off the shelf. The new Space Mountain, after a 2+ year refurbishment, features a completely dark track...you simply cannot see the track, unlike in WDW...all you can see are the "stars". The ride seems much faster and smoother, and you get a space-age musical soundtrack blasting into your ears. I was exhilarated at the end, and couldn't wait to get back on. Oh well, we have plenty of time for that.

Checking the schedule, we saw that the California Adventure park was featuring the old Electrical Parade at 8:45. Disneyland, by that point, was really filling up, and we figured that we'd check out DCA for a while before the parade. We ate "dinner" at the Taste Pilots Grill in front of Soarin', burgers and fries, for a not-so-bad $27.

California Adventure seemed to be a combo of Florida's Epcot and MGM, with an old-time amusement park at the rear. It is built on Disneyland's old parking lot, and the main entrance is about 100 yards across from Disneyland's, making park-hopping a snap.

I thought that Walt wanted to avoid the mundane carousels, ferris wheels, and carnival barkers of these type of parks, and I was kind of put off by this. Don't get me wrong, the California Screaming roller coaster and the giant Sunwheel made an excellent photo background, but you could see that type of scene at almost any NJ beach resort.

The park did feature Turtle Talk with Crush, which featured a cameo by Dory (which is not yet at Epcot, as far as I know), a brand new Tower of Terror (Which looked smaller than Florida's version), Grizzly Rapids (similar to Kali River Rapids at AK), that had a large mountain in the shape of a grizzly bear at it's center.

Ah, the Electrical Parade! I know the theme music note for note, and it was really cool to see it in person again after many years! It may be dated (who remembers Pete's Dragon, anyway?), but it's still my favorite parade. Happy and exhausted, we retired to our hotel suite, giddy from a day at Disneyland, but also anticipating our next-day's adventure, to Universal Hollywood.
    Last edited by sterm26; 09-18-2005 at 12:11 AM.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."