Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Honey, I'm home! in the Vacation Planning forums; iwannabeminnie, Hello from just down the road. I just read your report from the beginning. The famous fish at the fair wasn't as good this year for some reason so ...
    tigger22 is offline A-Ticket holder
    iwannabeminnie,

Hello from just down the road. I just read your report from the beginning. The famous fish at the fair wasn't as good this year for some reason so you didn't miss out. Enjoying your report. How was the park and fly hotel? We have it booked for December and wondered how the shuttle was on the way out and back in.

Tiff

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Why goodness, you are just down the road! Welcome to the Disneyworld Trivia boards! The park and fly hotel was great. It is the Quality Inn and NOT the Comfort Inn. The drive to the airport is very short. Just a note, the Quality Inn is not listed on the courtesy phones in the baggage claim area of the airport. On the return trip I had to dig the Passporter out of my bag and call them on my cell phone. Next trip I will have the number already stored in the cell phone. It was so worth the money to be able to drive up the night before and not have to crawl out of bed at 3 am. The total cost with taxes and all was around $114, not much more than you would pay to park for 10 days.

Again, welcome to the boards! It is so exciting to find a Disney fan so close! Jiminy Cricket was my closest neighbor until now. One of these days when I get caught up on my work I will finish my report. I promise!
    They call me "Nana"

Thanks for the info about the park and fly. I have been a lurker and finally decided to post.

And now you are up to TWO! Yippee! Yee haw! Way to go!
    They call me "Nana"

Thanks here is another one. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.
    Tiffany
    DVC Member since 2004 - Saratoga Springs

Back by popular demand:

Day 7, Thursday, September 29:

We had fun, fun, fun this day! This was the day of our Backstage Safari at the Animal Kingdom. Have I mentioned that this is my husband's favorite park? We had a GREAT safari guide and we had the BEST time. We got to watch them preparing meals for the animals in the kitchen, and I'm telling you, some of that stuff looked good enough to eat! They get fruit salads and vegetable salads, and then some not so appetizing things like whole pigeons (all dead of course). They come frozen. Whole mice. GROSS! The meals are all prepared a day ahead. The food they were preparing on Thursday when we were there were Friday's meals. They go into the frige and by Friday they are all thawed out. They have these great big notebooks of recipes that says on Monday the gorillas get this menu. On Tuesday they get this menu. Very interesting.

On the Safari we were shown the only hidden Baloo, not Mickey, Baloo. Does anybody know where it is? I have a great picture of it and one of these days when I learn how to download the pictures I will post it.

We got to go into the veterinary buildings and watch some procedures (this part is very similar to what you see from Rafiki's Planet Watch).

BUT----the piece de resistance----we got to PET, YES, PET a baby rhinocerous named Lucy. We got to watch her play with her ball (she was absoluely adorable). She was HUGE, and she was just a baby. In the next pen over was a male who was a MONSTER. You know they are large animals, but until you stand up next to one you just don't realize how large.

After the Safari we had lunch at Tusker House (of course) and did the Pangani Falls Trail, watched Flights of Wonder, did the Maharajah Jungle Trek, saw It's Tough to be a Bug, and then watched the parade. After the parade we headed to Epcot and our dinner reservation.

Thursday was EMH night for Epcot. We had dinner at Chefs de France and we were not impressed at all. Our waiter told us he had been in the states for a week. We could barely understand him and I don't think he understood us at all. My husband ordered a steak meal that came with French fried potatoes. He asked if he could have the other pototoes instead, like the ones I was having. We both ended up with French fries, and neither of us wanted them. I also ordered a steak dish and was very disappointed. I had been DYING to try the chicken a la orange, but after the Tusker House at lunch decided to go with a beef dish instead of more poultry. I could kick myself a million times. I ordered the onion soup and it was WAY too salty for me. I have cut way back on salt at home due to Mr. iwannabeminnie's condition and I guess I have just gotten used to unsalted food. Hubby tasted it and said he would have keeled over dead had he eaten a bowl of that. He ordered the Lobster Bisque and said it was quite yummy. We were not served any bread and eventually asked for some and received it somewhat later. I can't even remember what we had for dessert, it made that much of an impression on us.

After dinner we saw the American Adventure, toured Italy, Germany, China, Norway, and Mexico. We nibbled on some of the Food and Wine Festival offerings and grabbed ourselves a Fiesta Margarita. I was only half way done when we got to Journey into the Imagination, so I smuggled it on board. Those of you who are cast members have probably seen my photo plastered all over the place on "WANTED" posters by now. Then I smuggled the rest of it into Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. All this smuggling was made possible (or perhaps just overlooked) because there were NO LINES! I did manage to finish it before riding Soarin' again. I LOVE SOARIN'! (Have I already said that?)

And the morning and the night were the seventh day.

(Okay, I know the seventh day you are supposed to rest, but we did that on the sixth day.)
    Last edited by iwannabeminnie; 10-19-2005 at 09:22 PM.
    They call me "Nana"

uratoon is offline Going back for 5 free days at any Deluxe!!!
    Where the humidity is the same as the temperature!!
    Great trip report! Sounds like you had alot of fun!

Things I have learned living in ARKANSAS
    1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.
    2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in ARKANSAS.
    3. We have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas.
    4. A carbonated soft drink is not a soda, cola or pop...It's a 'coke' regardless of brand or flavor. Ex...What kind of 'Coke' do you want?
    5. People actually grow and EAT okra!!
    6. Sweet Iced Tea is appropriate for all meals.
    7. You have to switch from 'heat' to A/C in the same day.
    8. All the festivals across the state are named for an animal, insect, grain, vegetable or fruit.
    9. You work until you are done or it's too dark to see.
    10. Everyone can't be an Arkansan: You have to be BRAVE to live here!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Keep going! I love this!

One of the other things I forgot to mention about Chefs de France that we did NOT like. The noise level was so high we could not carry on a conversation without yelling at each other across the table.
    They call me "Nana"

Day 8, Friday, September 30:

This was EMH day at Magic Kingdom, so up out of the bed early again! Today's itenerary includes Tomorrowland and Mickey's Toon Town Fair. As usual, we loved Space Mountain and Mr. iwannabeminnie had to Buzz Lightyear about 5 times. Easily done, because once again, NO LINES! The surprise was Stitch's Great Escape. We liked it! (Of course, we liked Alien Encounter too). We are ****ers for special effects I suppose. Being a really short person, when we sat down I placed my feet on the back of the chair in front of me and held myself up off of my own seat while the shoulder restraints came down. I learned that lesson the hard way when it was Alien Encounter. We really, really, really missed Timekeeper, but at least CoP was open! (Yes, Jerrame, I said CoP. We LOVE CoP!) To this day I have yet to EVER ride Astro Orbiter. One of these days I PROMISE. Mr. iwannabeminnie doesn't like anything that goes in circles. I'm not keen on them, I just want to see the view from up there! Next time I go! I keep telling myself that. But what I keep wondering is why do we keep riding the Tomorrowland Speedway? Is this a holdover from when we were 5 and this was exciting? What gives?

Cinderellabration. This was okay, but I liked the Surprise Celebration better. And the one before Surprise Celebration about all the holidays was better too (the name of that one escapes me, I am getting on up there in years you know). Oh well, see it anyway. You may love it. Different strokes and all.

Back to the hotel for a snooze and a change of clothes and then to MGM for dinner. We saw Muppets (continue to love this show), Backlot Tour, had to make a zip through Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, and then to Beauty and the Beast. I will NEVER tire of Beauty and the Beast. It is one of my favorite shows of all time. I love "Be Our Guest".

Dinner at Mama Melrose's was so-so. The appetizers were great. Ed had the calamari and I had the Bruschetta (we shared). My pasta was good, but they used pickled artichoke hearts instead of fresh and the vinegar was very strong on them. I ate a few and picked the rest out. Ed liked his steak, but the polenta was a little mushy for him. He prefers it a little drier. Dessert, now was a different story. TO DIE FOR! We got the Happiest Celebration on Earth dessert which was coffee ice cream encrusted with chopped coffee beans, chocolate, and hazelnuts with a chocolate biscotti. We would have gone back to Mama Melrose's just for the dessert a hundred times over if we had known about it sooner!

And the morning and the night were the eighth day.
    They call me "Nana"

Day 9, Saturday, October 1

Up and at em again this morning. EMH for the Animal Kingdom. We can't miss that! First thing is always the Kilamanjaro Safaris for us. Then the Pangani Falls Exploration Trail. Followed by The Festival of the Lion King and Pocahontas. The rest of the morning was spend in Dinoland USA. We rode Dinosaur twice in a row with no line. We explored the Cretaceous Trail, took some dino pictures, and wandered around Chester and Hester's a bit. We didn't do either of the rides there because they both involve going in circles or spinning, and we are wimps. We saw Tarzan for the very last time.......RIP. I love that show.

Our favorite lunch is still Flame Tree BBQ. Had the pork sandwich and the key lime pie. Beans and corn on the cob as side dishes. Stuffed ourselves stupid. Bad decision. You will understand why later.

We took the bus then to Coronado Springs resort. We wanted to check it our for our upcoming spring trip with my sister. Our choices are: Coronado Springs or Port Orleans (mods) and Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge (deluxe), depending on what kind of deals we can get. All opinions are welcome.

After a short rest we made our way to Wilderness Lodge and the Whispering Canyon Cafe. Remember that large lunch I told you we regretted eating? This is why. The Whispering Canyon was AWESOME. We loved every minute of our meal and every bite we ate or didn't eat. We had the bottomless skillet. The dessert came home with us in a box (along with a few others, we had six desserts in a box on the plane). It tasted plenty good a few days later.

We headed to the Magic Kingdom after dinner for Wishes and Spectromagic. We caught the tail end of the first showing of SpectroMagic and SpectroMagic caught the brunt end of a sudden downpour. For some reason when the rain started the parade stopped and those poor cast members were stuck in it. The rain stopped and Wishes went off without a hitch. I always cry when I see wishes for the last time on a trip. The second showing of SpectroMagic was delayed, and delayed again, and again, and again. When it finally took place ALL of the characters were missing from the floats. It was a very disappointing end to our vacation. I guess the costumes were all wet and they didn't have back ups.

And the morning and the night were the ninth day.
    They call me "Nana"

Day 10, Sunday, October 2:

We were so impressed with the Whispering Canyon Cafe that we decided to let them have our last two table service credits at breakfast on Sunday morning. Breakfast was more amazing than dinner. Our "appetizer" was a fresh fruit plate that was wonderful. Then we had steak and eggs. For "dessert" they brought us a basket of bakery goods. The cinnamon rolls were the best we have ever had. My husband said they were even better than Cinnabons! He can't wait to go back just for the cinnamon rolls!

Remember I said that Wilderness Lodge was on the list of possible places to stay next trip? Until we ate at The Whispering Canyon Cafe Mr. iwannabeminnie always wanted to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. But "if we stay here we can have cinnamon rolls everyday!"

Then back to the Pop Century to get on the Magical Express to go home. WAAAAAAA! I hate leaving, but I was a little concerned about my cat being home alone for so long. We finally made it home after what seemed forever (the drive from Indy home is longer than the flight from Orlando to Indy). The weather was beautiful and mild, kind of a welcome relief from the heat of Orlando and the Colts were kicking booty! Not a bad welcome home, still I'd rather be in Florida.

THE END
    They call me "Nana"

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I loved the report!! I love the Whispering Canyon - such yummy food.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Great trip report! Glad to see that you finished it, I really enjoyed reading it! Now I want to go back even more! Going to beg DH to make some decisions about December!

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    great report

I cant wait - we have a little over a month to go!!

thanks for all the food info

so the dining plan was good?

was it easy to plan out where you wanted to go?

did you need a lot of reservations?
    or could you get in right away?

glad you had a good time

I'll save you a spot in my suitcase

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast