Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss DWT Very Mini Meet at the Toledo Zoo Lights Before Christmas! in the Vacation Planning forums; Without further delay...I know that you have all just been dying to read about our DWT VERY mini meet!!! We had a great time! Our family started our day off ...

DWT Very Mini Meet at the Toledo Zoo Lights Before Christmas!

Without further delay...I know that you have all just been dying to read about our DWT VERY mini meet!!!

We had a great time! Our family started our day off having breakfast with Santa at Parker's school while T-Nina and Ed headed to Toledo early to get some Christmas shopping done.

We all ended up meeting for the first time at 2:45 at the Texas Roadhouse Steakhouse. We started off by exchanging a few gifts (thanks you SO MUCH T-Nina and Ed for all the lovely Disney gifts you brought for us!!!) followed by a yummy dinner.

After we finished dinner we climbed into our vehicles and headed over to the zoo! Once we arrived it was time to put on the layers of clothing to keep us all warm!

First stop was for T-Nina and I to pick up the clues and entry form for the scavenger hunt (that we plan on winning!!! Grand prize includes 4 roundtrip tickets to Orlando!!!) I have to say that it was fun searching for all the answers. It was a new thing that they were trying out this year and I hope they do it again next year! Needless to say, we found all of the answers and then stopped off at the end for two more entry forms (one for Ed and one for Jim). Afterall, 4 entries are better than 2!!! I was really surprised that I didn't see more people participating. Oh well....just makes our odds of winning better. They will be announcing the winner on December 8th...we will keep you all posted!!!

The first section of the Toledo Zoo is their Africa display. It was here that we took a ride on the train. Parker always sits next to Mommy on the train ride...well, not this time! He wanted to sit with T-Nina! Mommy has been replaced!!! Parker really did take to T-Nina and I would have to say that she now has a lifelong friend whether she likes it or not! Africa is also where T-Nina and I ran into our old friend Pumbaa! (see my photo gallery).

We continued on stopping occassionally to warm our hands by the fire pots. We also stopped off for hot cocoa and popcorn (thank you Ed!!!), but it just wasn't the same as having those items at the Magic Kingdom!!!

While walking my favorite stretch of the light display we saw a heart shaped sign that said "Will You Marry Me Leslie?" I was explaining to T-Nina that last year in the same spot we were lucky enough to witness an actual proposal...just as I said that, the guy next to us dropped to his knee and proposed to his girlfriend Leslie (see photo gallery)! How cool!!!! Two years in a row....of course I cried. No, I have no idea who these people were (other than her name was Leslie) and have never met them before in my life, but what can I say?? I'm a hopeless romantic!!! After giving them our congratulations and best wishes we continued up towards the Conservatory as I explained that we had also witnessed another proposal in that location....low and behold another guy drops to his knee and voila!!! Two more lovebirds starting their new life together!!! So...two proposals witnessed by all of us last night!

We ducked into the aquarium to answer a few more clues and get warmed up a bit. Then onto the museum for a glance at the Dragon display and checked out the LONG line for Santa. Reptile House was next which neither T-Nina and I were thrilled about, but there were answers to the scavenger hunt that must be found!!!!! We walked the beautiful pathway back to the elephant house and tried spying the Snow Leopard, but it was too dark and he couldn't be seen. We only had one section of the zoo left to finish and it was a little after 8 o'clock. We headed to the Cafe to warm up a little, get the boys a little snack and visit a little more before it was time to go our seperate ways.

After loading all winter wear back on we headed out to see the Tigers ( to get the last of our answers for the scavenger hunt ) and penguins (picture just for you Lara....although it was REALLY dark and didn't turn out too good ). Then it was a quick stop at the gift shop to finish up our entry forms and drop them in the box! (Everybody keep your fingers crossed for us!!!)

It was somewhere around 10 PM when we got into our vehicles and headed home. The zoo is only about 12 miles from the Michigan State line and both boys were fast asleep before we even hit Michigan! The weather was bad as soon as we got into Michigan (go figure!!!) and the roads were very slippery. It took us about an hour longer to get home than it normally does. I hope T-Nina and Ed had better driving conditions than we did!

All in all we had a wonderful time (at least our family did!) and it was an absolute pleasure to meet T-Nina and Ed!!!! They are great people and we look forward to spending some more time with them in the future! Would we have all rather been at WDW at Mousefest with everyone else??????? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! But since we couldn't be, this was a nice way to share some holiday cheer with friends that we are very happy to have met!!

So....now we start planning Toledo Zoo Lights Before Christmas Mini Meet 2006!!!!! (let's not make it so "mini" next year!!!)
    Last edited by disneydreamer98; 12-04-2005 at 12:33 PM.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    That is a great report of what was obviously a great day!!!

I am so pleased you all enjoyed it - sorry I couldn't make it, but it is a long way to come home for supper!! (May be one year - yuo never know!!)
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    We had a great time as well! I don't know what I could add, Melissa pretty much covered it all! We loved meeting them and had a great time as well. We can't wait to go back to the Toledo Zoo. It was amazing. I think we will wait for warmer weather though. (Not a snow bunny.)

It started snowing on us the minute we hit I-75 going south. I thought we would never get home, but we made it without mishap. The lovely bottle of wine we received from Jim and Melissa was nicely chilled from riding in the trunk all those hours, so we popped the cork before going to bed. It is a lovely wine, Melissa. You will have to try it! It was just what we needed to soothe our rattled nerves!

Again, we had a great time and can't wait to do it again!
    Thank you Melissa and Jim for everything. Really, you guys went above and beyond.

[QUOTE=iwannabeminnie]We had a great time as well! I don't know what I could add, Melissa pretty much covered it all! We loved meeting them and had a great time as well. We can't wait to go back to the Toledo Zoo. It was amazing. I think we will wait for warmer weather though. (Not a snow bunny.)

It started snowing on us the minute we hit I-75 going south. I thought we would never get home, but we made it without mishap. The lovely bottle of wine we received from Jim and Melissa was nicely chilled from riding in the trunk all those hours, so we popped the cork before going to bed. It is a lovely wine, Melissa. You will have to try it! It was just what we needed to soothe our rattled nerves!

Again, we had a great time and can't wait to do it again!
    Thank you Melissa and Jim for everything. Really, you guys went above and beyond.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you all had a great time!!
    Rich

Thank you Rich! We DID think about you last night!

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    Thank you Rich! We DID think about you last night!
    Thank You! that was kind of you all, it's making me cry !!

... It was a good report that Melissa wrote!!
    Rich

Glad to hear you guys made it home safely and that the wine was nicely chilled! I could have used some by the time we got home too!!! Glad you liked the wine...it is one of our favorites. Can't beat Cherry Wine from Northern Michigan Cherries and bottled in Northern Michigan!! If anybody went "above and beyond" it was you....I didn't think that the gifts were ever gonna stop coming out of your bag!!!

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    It makes me feel so happy to know you guys had fun. Next time, I'm definetly joining you, heartattack or not! Nice trip report Mel! Now on to the photos!
    Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by BelleGurl
    It makes me feel so happy to know you guys had fun. Next time, I'm definetly joining you, heartattack or not! Nice trip report Mel! Now on to the photos!
    Oh dear God....don't even joke about that! We may be having a "semi annual" DWT mini meet at the Toldedo Zoo. T-Nina would like to visit when it's warm and see all the animals!

I like warm. Warm is good.

Melissa, did your kiddoes survive the trip without a good case of the grumps today?

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I am so glad that you had a great time. If you ever want to see another zoo, Abilene has a zoo. However, it will only take 45 minutes to go through the whole thing and tht is if you take the time to feed the ducks. I would guarantee a little warmer weather-most of the time.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and a great week. Drink some more wine for me.

I like warm. Warm is good.
    Me too!

Melissa, did your kiddoes survive the trip without a good case of the grumps today?
    Yep! They were both fine today, they are used to doing things like that and are not early to bed boys by any means. Tanner was up around 6 this morning for a diaper change and a milk, but then fell back asleep for a couple hours. We've taken it pretty easy today. Had some stuff to do around the house, but we didn't go anywhere which was nice.

You gotta love flexible kiddoes!

So when are you going to send them down to stay with me for a week or two?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast