Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Trip Report, Day 4, 2/4/06 (last day) in the Vacation Planning forums; Our last day began the same as Friday did...a wake up call from Mickey, and more rain outside. I was despondent, dreading another day in soggy clothes and a now-ripped ...
    sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Trip Report, Day 4, 2/4/06 (last day)

Our last day began the same as Friday did...a wake up call from Mickey, and more rain outside. I was despondent, dreading another day in soggy clothes and a now-ripped poncho. According to the weatherman, the rain was supposed to be gone by noontime, and for once he was right. In fact, by the time we got to the TTC, it had stopped raining for good. We took the monorail to the Grand Floridian for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare. We managed to snag the front seat of the monorail, always a treat, even if the windshield was dotted with raindrops.

We had never been inside the Grand Floridian before, and it really is a beautiful place, much more, um, dignified (?) than Pop (and much more expensive, of course!) We took some pictures inside the lobby, then we found the restaurant. Wendy Darling was there to greet us.

I had chosen 1900 Park Fare as a character breakfast because I thought that Cinderella was supposed to be there. Me, the master WDW planner, read the wrong schedule...Cindy is there at Dinner time. Breakfast is a character meal, but the morning characters are Pooh, Tigger, Alice & the Mad Hatter. Luckily, my daughter didn't know or care about my gaffe, as she had fun interacting with the Hatter, who refused to give my seat back when I came back from the buffet. The food here was as good if not better than the buffet at Chef Mickeys, and the men loaded up on the usually forbidden breakfast foods.

Once we got to the MK, our plan was to hit the attractions that we missed on Wednesday, which involved us criscrossing the park several times. Saturday was a lot more crowded than Wednesday had been, naturally, but nowhere near what I had remembered at peak season.

We hopped the train to Frontierland, then we backtracked to Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise. The jokes were as corny as ever, but it's still a must-ride on our visits. Next up was Pirates, our last chance to see it before the much-balleyhooed insertion of Johhny Depp. Dad and I went back to Splash Mountain and wore our ponchos this time, to the derision of the CMs at the loading dock. They said that ponchos defeat the purpose, but I replied that I got wet enough yesterday. It was all good fun.

Next up was Big Thunder. We let my wife rest her feet while the rest of us rode. I got FP's so that my daughter and I could ride again immediately, but the FP's weren't good for another 30 minutes. My dad went to film the parade that had just started, and me, the wife and kid went over to Tom Sawyer Island to wait out the fastpass. Bad idea...my wife couldn't handle the climbing and parked herself on the first bench we saw. My and my daughter walked over the bridge to the fort, climbed up and down, and went to the Injun Joe's cave. My daughter refused to go in, so I collected the wife and we went back to BTMR. We had reached the fastpass time, but of course, a CM was blocking the entrance, telling of those "technical difficulites" again. the parade was still going on, so we grabbed a couple of Mickey Ice Cream bars and watched. Luckily, BTMR soon re-opened, and we rode again.

Time was flying, as it usually does on the last day, so we headed over to Fantasyland and got FP's for Pooh. The line for the teacups wasn't long, so I rode with my daughter, who insisted that I spin the cup as fast as possible. After staggering off< we wobbled toward tomorrowland to get a Space Mountain fastpass for me, and maybe ride TTA again before going back to Liberty Square for our last character meal at the Liberty Tree Tavern. Along the way, we passed the Indy Speedway, and took advantage of the handicapped entrance to get right on. My daughter drove the car while I hit the gas. Good thing she won't be able to get a driver's license for another 10 years, she drives like her mom! (Just kidding!)

Upon entering Tomorrowland proper, we had a very pleasant surprise. Buzz was supposed to be down for rehab for another 5 days or so, but lo and behold, there was a line of people entering the building, and the FP sign was on! Apparently rehab was finished early...there's that Disney magic again! Buzz is my daughter's absolute favorite ride in all of WDW, and she was jumping with excitement. I wanted to save my FP for Space Mountain, so the rest got FPs for Buzz. We then jumped into teh standby line. I was curious to see what the rehab had done to the ride, I had seen rumors that the guns were going to be replaced by the lift-out ones that Disneyland has. That's not what happened, in fact, the cars themsleves looked like they hadn't been touched during the rehab. There was some fresh paint and some new targets, but the ride is essentially the same, and as fun as ever. (cont'd)
    Last edited by sterm26; 02-19-2006 at 11:59 PM.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

Part II

I got my Space Mountain FP, then we started back towards Liberty Square. Along the way, We stopped in Towntown to see about the Photopass CD deal. The location is in the Judge's Tent, right outside of the exit from the character photo rooms.

The wait for the Princess room was non-existe nt. We thought that maybe the Princesses were freshening up, but we were waved in by a CM. In the photo room stood Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White! I wish I had a picture of my daughter's face as her eyes bugged out! Her favorite is Aurora. As she posed with Aurora, my daughter whispered to her that she was the favorite, but that she didn't want to make Cindy and Snow White feel bad. Aurora understood and gave Avery an extra hug. Cinderella is the favorite of my niece, who couldn't make the trip. My wife wrote a big "Hello Laura" on one of the pages of my daughter's autograph book, which Cinderella held up as she posed. That was neat, and very much appreciated by my niece. We then got into the Photopass line to see the results.

After a short wait, I handed my two Photopasses to the clerk. The counter is set up so that you can see the photos, and you can watch as the clerk edits and adds effects. I had 72 pictures, not bad, considering that we lost a whole day of Photopass during the rainy day before. The CM told me that the photographers do not work in the rain, the equipment is too expensive. He edited a few of the pictures, added "autographs" to some of the character photos. The princess photos, which were taken a few minutes before, were already available. It took about 10 minutes to burn the CD. It may seem expensive at $99 for this, but compare that to purchasing the photos individually from the Photopass web site. No contest!

It was time to use the Pooh FP's on our way to dinner. Pooh is cute, but I miss Mr. Toad. I did see his picture on the wall! We got to Liberty Tree way ahead of our ADR time, and after a short wait, were seated. We love the dinner here...a giant bowl of salad with a surprisingly good Strawberry Vinaigrette dressing, then plates and plates of Turkey, Ham, Flank Steak, stuffing, green beans, and mac & cheese. Meanwhile, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Chip & Dale roam the room, dressed in colonial garb. It's topped off with big bowls of ice cream. We're always stuffed after this one.

After the meal, it was time to finish off the MK. We hit the Haunted Mansion one last time, then sped to Tomorrowland to wrap up the time before the fireworks. I used my Space Mountain FP. Loved it as usual, but I still think that Disneyland's revamped version is better. While I rode SM, the women went back on Buzz. When I came off of Space Mountain, I rode the AstroOrbiter for the first time since 1979! The new version is cool with the planets heading right at you, but..you can't beat the view from up there...you KNOW where you are! The Castle, Contemporary, and Main ST. whoosh by repeatedly.

Time was rapidly running out on our trip, and we had a decision to make...head to Main St. to get a good view of Wishes, or go on Buzz one last time. Buzz won out. For the second consecutive year, Buzz was the final ride.

The park closed, we slowly walked to Main St. My daughter broke up crying while saying goodbye to the Castle, and it was hard not to join in. Another trip had past, we had to go back home. It's always sad, but we know that the memories live on, and we can visit almost any time we want via the net.

The trip home was smooth and uneventful.
    Last edited by sterm26; 02-20-2006 at 12:03 AM.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Great trip report!!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all your posts!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Thanks!

I almost had as much fun writing them as I did experiencing them!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Loved all of the report!

Is it always Stitch and Mickey that wake you up?
    Was the photopass cd that much because you had so many pictures or is it one price?
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Yep, the wake up calls were always Mickey, who starts off with a pleasant greeting before Stitch interrupts him!

The Photopass CD is a flat $99. The CM who did mine said that a disk can hold up to 400 photos, it would still be the same price.

You get every picture on your photopass, and they will edit some of the pictures of your choice by putting different graphics over them, like a character autograph or a 2006 logo of the park you were in at the time of the picture, same as the website. They also give you a copyright release form that allows you to print your photos at a commercial development place like K-Mart or CVS. You can still use the website to order additional photos if you'd like.
    Last edited by sterm26; 02-20-2006 at 03:18 PM.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Very cool! Thanks for answering my questions!

It does seem a high price, but if you are talking TONS of pictures, that could be cool. Wonder if you would be able to save them to your computer and print on your own?
    And for the Epcot masks at Kidcot - I read up on them before our trip, that is the only reason I knew that you add to it instead of doing a different one per country...
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Saving the pictures

You are able to save them to your computer and print them at home if you choose. There are 2 files on the CD, one with all the unaltered photos, and one with the enhanced photos. The pictures are on my wallpaer as well as my screensaver slide-show.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    that was awesome.... i wonder if you buy the photopass, could you just save them as your screensaver and wall paper.... i may have to consider that.
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

If you mean buy them from the website, I'm afraid not You can only buy the printed versions of your pictures, not download them. Who knows, that may change in the future as the Photopass CD idea gets more popular and the lines grow longer....

Also, I heard a rumor that the photos that are taken on the rides (TOT, Rock n Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, etc) will be available on Photopass sometimein the future. That would really rock!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Quote Originally Posted by sterm26
    If you mean buy them from the website, I'm afraid not You can only buy the printed versions of your pictures, not download them. Who knows, that may change in the future as the Photopass CD idea gets more popular and the lines grow longer....

Also, I heard a rumor that the photos that are taken on the rides (TOT, Rock n Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, etc) will be available on Photopass sometimein the future. That would really rock!
    oh how cool is that.... i did read somewhere that you could buy a dvd of your photos for i think like 70 dollars or so, have to look into that.
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!