Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss I'm back! Dissy's spring break road trip... in the Vacation Planning forums; I have returned from my spring break/dissy's birthday week road trip with my DS and DD...and since I have done lots of trip reports and don't have that many new ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

I'm back! Dissy's spring break road trip...

I have returned from my spring break/dissy's birthday week road trip with my DS and DD...and since I have done lots of trip reports and don't have that many new experiences to share, I won't get in to it much, but below, a few quick thoughts from my trip and to give you all updates:
    Driving: I had no troubles driving from Michigan to FLA with alone with two kids....short of the traffic, traffic, and more traffic near Atlanta...
    But I had great weather, got to see lots of the country, and made it sort of a school lesson for the kids as we drove thru the states. They are great travellers, watching lots of Disney movies on the portable DVD player on the way down in anticipation for our Disney adventure!

Disney itself: Hotel: Port Orleans, Riverside. I rolled in last Sunday before noon, and was pleasantly surprised that I could check in. Staff was nice, and we were able to drop off our bags and head right to the MK!!

The parks: Packed, but it was the start of spring break, so I was not shocked. But the weather was perfect, sunny and 70's every day, so I have no complaints!! Being smart about fastpasses and travel patterns, we were able to avoid terrible waits, and took advantage of the morning extra magic hours to do all of fantasyland one morning before the park opened, and MGM another day....

The Pooh factor: We have made plenty of comments on the darned Pooh playground on these boards, and I agree, that we hope it is a temp filler and a bigger, better attraction is coming. However I feel I must report-my kids loved the pooh playground! They didn't want to leave! And it looks like lots of kids were having fun in there. We spent some serious down time in there waiting for fastpass times to roll around...if the success of this place in any indication, I think it could be here to stay.
    Disney gossip overheard: And another reason I think that: While there one time watching my kids play, a group of clearly "Disney" executives came up-one sort of a tour leader, and the rest in business suits. The leader was showing off the playground to the group, and while I could not hear all the conversation, I did catch her say this-The pooh playground was an example of a successful way in which the Disney "direction" is going for some future attractions. She mentioned how it was a great low cost investment with high returns-a great decoration that the small kids loved....just an fyi to my disney trivia friends....
    More info to come below....
    Last edited by DissyLove; 04-03-2006 at 09:45 AM.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

That's great Nicole! Glad you made it down and back safely and had a good time with your kids!!!! Looking forward to hearing more!

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    welcome back nicole.. did you bring both kids home?

The food: As always, great food, but after all my trips, I know what I like! Went to the garden grill for our charecter meal. Got to see plenty of Mickey, Chip and Dale, and Pluto. Kids love this place, and the family style food pleased me and my kids, and my mother in law and mom who joined us for just one day. They said they like family style, easier than coming in from a hectic day and the parks and looking thru a huge menu.
    Anyway, awesome beef, turkey was tender, potato casserole to die for, and great deserts. Kids love that they get their own cupcake to decorate, complete with frosting and mickey sprinkles....
    My other big "meal" was my birthday pick at MGM studies on March 29, the 50's Prime Time Cafe-and we loved it. I actually ended up skipping the usual fried chicken dinner and went with a recommendation from my waitress "cousin", she suggested the penne pasta with sea scallops, and I tried it, and loved it!
    Kids had mac and cheese and a cup of chicken noodle soup, which was great also. And we splurged and got Dad's sundae-a huge mound of ice cream, sauces, whipped cream, nuts, and m and m s....sooo good and filling!
    And they also (like I needed more desserts) brought me out a bday cupcake with a candle, and "mom's" crew and those in the tables around me sang happy birthday to me!
    The rest of the food was counter service at the parks or hotel-all was good-love the cesar salad at Cosmic Rays, kids loved the chicken and mashed potatoes there, and we also ate at the Backlot express (WAY to long of a wait, tho-I think they were training about 10 new people that day! Oh wel...)and food at our hotel food court was good as well.
    One more birthday thing: Wore a birthday button at MGM March 29 to celebrate my big day-and at least one CM took special notice. Lorenzo, as I left the Indy Stunt show, said "Happy Birthday" to me. He asked me what big rides or attractions I had left to do, and I told him we were on our way to the 2:15 Lights Motor Action stunt show, which was about to start, to see if we could still get in...
    He wrote me out a special slip, and told me to give it to the CM at the entry-it got me great VIP seating! We were front and center, and the kids loved it! Thanks Lorenzo!
    Final comments, and thoughts, coming next....
    Last edited by DissyLove; 04-03-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzney4lyf
    welcome back nicole.. did you bring both kids home?
    I did. Thought of leaving the DD behind after she started throwing toys at me from the back seat of the car on the way home, but I thought her father would probably miss her...

Final thoughts:

I know Stich's Great Escape is a bit of a dissappointment, and I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but clearly, the stress of it is getting to the CM's that work there. Here is what I witnesed when I went on it again (promised DS I would take him...)
    On the way in the main room from the queque area, there stood the CM ushering us in. But, he was resting his head against the wall, with his eyes closed. Very, very....odd...Lots of us guests were looking at him, wondering what he knows that we don't know...
    Then we get in the area where we stand and watch that show where they "teleport" the creature in who is a gasbag...you know, with the three rows. As we filled in, a young couple stopped in the middle instead of going all the way to the end. (they had young kids, and I think just wanted to make sure the kids could see)
    This time, a different CM said, "Did you not hear me? I said KEEP MOVING!!!". She then muttered under her breath, "What is WRONG with these people?!" Um, not very, magical...
    On the good side: Truely, this was a great trip, and I have no regrets (other than not punching that CM...)
    My son fell in love with Star Tours and wants to come back for the Star Wars week, and my daughter, like her mommy, loves SOARIN'! (It was packed all the time, but we got a fastpass and were able to get on!)
    They also still think Mickey's Philharmagic is the best thing since sliced bread. And I think they would agree mommy had a great birthday at her favorite place with some of her very favorite people.....We had a very, very magical trip indeed. :mickey:

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    glad u had a great time!!!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Ahhh!!! so glad that you had a wonderful time Nicole...And cudoos that you survived the drive down with the kiddies....
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Sounds like a fun time, Nicole! Welcome back!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    NICOLE!!! Although I am glad you had a great time - I am glad you are back as well. I can't believe you didn't have the chicken for your birthday! But if the family recommends something, it is good!

So glad everything went well, sorry about the Atlanta traffic - I did warn ya!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Yes Lara, and I appreciate the heads up. Kids and I did a potty break and drink and gas stop before we hit Atlanta, so that helped. Sorry I didn't get to chat with you more as I headed thru your neck of the woods.

Oh, and to Summer and Jerrame, who kept me company on the phone during the drive, thanks...and for the bday greetings on my big day as well. I missed you all, was an entirely different trip without my DWT ladies!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I am glad you had a great trip! Sounds like a lot of fun.

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Hey there Nicole! I'm happy to see you back here but even happier to hear you talk about what a great time you had! I know the kids loved spending your b-day with you at MGM! We missed you on here, but knew you were having a much better time than we were!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Pictures - I need PICTURES!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast