Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss My Honeymoon, May 28th thru June 7 in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi, The adventures of "the7thAve" are amazing. I laughed and laughed to the point that my husband started looking at me strangely. Your retelling of your exploits of your honeymoon ...
    2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski
    Hi, The adventures of "the7thAve" are amazing. I laughed and laughed to the point that my husband started looking at me strangely. Your retelling of your exploits of your honeymoon are awesome. We are going to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in WDW on November 19-25 at the Grand Floridian. NO KIDS!! WOOHOO !! Keep the story going please. I will use some of your advise in chosing places to eat and go.

WHERE is day 7 ? I hope you relate it soon.

Susan

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Welcome 2tinners!!! Dont feel bad even when I dont laugh my BF looks at me strangely LOL

Thanks, Vixen101485. I love "the7thAve" exploits of his honeymoon. He makes me laugh.

Susan

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tinners
    Thanks, Vixen101485. I love "the7thAve" exploits of his honeymoon. He makes me laugh.

Susan

good to hear! thanks for reading!

If we can dream it, we can do it

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    I am loving your great stories of your honeymoon and I appreciate you sharing them with us!! And as for the shark pools at Typhoon Lagoon!! I love those!! I have so many memories growing up of my mom my sister and I all doing that like 3-4 times a day.. it is great..

And the personalized menus just about made me cry!! Keep up the great tales and can't wait for Day 7 and Drunk Lady!!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Day 7, Saturday, June 3rd

we slept the latest this day that we were ever going to be able to. 8:30am!!!

we had breakfast reservations at Whispering Canyon for 8:40am, so we basically just rolled out of bed and into the restaurant. it was quite convenient to be able to eat breakfast at our resort, so I was glad I had 2 more days of breakfast here.

Crystal, unfortunately, didn't understand why it was so loud. we got lucky this time and our waitress was not too loud... I think she knew we were a tad hungover and it was early (for us). I had to ask for ketchup, and in case you have never been there I won't say what happened. I'll just advise you to ask for ketchup as often as possible.

we got some ketchup, ate our skillets and fruit plate, and went back to the room for a nap, before heading to Epcot.

we got to Epcot in time to make it to our lunch reservations (our nap somehow turned itself into a full-on snooze) at Marrakesh.

I think Marrakesh has got to be one of the most underappreciated restaurants in all of WDW. it's tucked away in the rear of one of the most well-themed pavilions in the World Showcase, Morocco. the theming inside is very thorough and every person we encountered that worked there was extremely nice.

I have decided to refer to allearsnet for the menus to help me remember what I had. I had the Chicken Bastilla for an appetizer. it was pastry thing that wasn't too sweet, but was good. for my entree I had Roast Lamb Meshoui, and for my dessert I had Marrakesh Delight (as I mentioned before, I am all about specialty items on the menu). the Marrakesh Delight was very different from anything I have ever had, but it was crazy amounts of tasty!!!!

overall, I recommend Marrakesh to anyone, but specifically people who are looking for something different. the flavors you will find here are definitely not American, but are great if you let them be. plus, at lunch and dinner they have belly dancers dancing to live musicians (see pics. we both enjoyed that. Crystal has had some belly dancing lessons, so she thought it was cool).

after lunch we snagged fastpasses for Soarin and made our way to the living seas and got there just in time to see em feeding some big eagle rays in the main tank. Crystal really enjoyed the Living Seas (being a Marine Biologist and all), but we skipped Turtle Talk because of the line.

we then rode Soarin, which was my first time to ride that. I thought it was great! I guess that's about all you can say about that.

Dinner reservations were at the Biergarten, so we wnet ahead and went over there. we got in without much of a wait and Crystal and I both got the German Beer Flight, which is four four-once pours of four different German beers. I enjoyed all of them, but I like beer. Crystal liked the Lowenbrau the best, probly b/c she was previously familiar with it.

then we hit the buffet. I got lots of sausages and tried to get things I was unfamiliar with. Crystal enjoyed this meal more than I did. the atmosphere was amazing and the entertainment was fun (the band played one of those long Ricola-type horn things. my mom would have loved that, b/c she went to Switzerland a long time ago and saw people playing them there). the food was a little rich for me, though. it made me feel a little ill.

we then went home for a dip in the pool.

before we went to the pool, Crystal wanted to get some "swanky drinks" from the poolside bar, so we headed that way. I underestimated how pricey swanky drinks were going to be, so I ordered our drinks, left Crystal as collateral, and headed back to the room to retrieve more resources. Crystal got a mojito (quite a bit like a mint julip) and I got a Mai Tai.

when I got back, who is at the bar??? that's right, friends... the drunk lady from the Hoop Dee Doo show. and she is plastered. again.

not only is she plastered, but she is sitting on the ground in a puddle of water, legs splayed out every whichaway, and she is TALKING to a family of ducks!!! Crystal has moved to the end of the bar (the OTHER end of the bar, away from the drunk lady), so I followed her down there.

granted, the ducks were cute, I'll give her that. it was a big momma duck and her little trail of ducklings, waddling around, swimming in the pool, and generally just hanging out. I'm sure they got more than they bargained for when they stumbled across an inebriated human who decided to attempt inter-species contact.

I can't remeber the exact words she was saying, but it was definitely a bunch of slurred questions about where this intrepid family of aquatic fowl was going, what they were doing, and what their favorite ride at Magic Kingdom was.

her family was sorta shuffling around the general area, with her husband keeping a watchful eye on his blushing bride to make sure she didn't try anything too lewd or lascivious... like a birdnapping.

we left the bar to avoid any sort of awkward engagement with this group, thereby cementing our shared decision to, from here on out, avoid communication, or even acknowledgement, with the woman's family.

from the pool bar we headed to the "beach" area to relax on some lounge chairs and enjoy our ****tails. it was sometime during this relaxing time that Crystal and I discovered that Day 8's breakfast was, once again, at the Whispering Canyon. this meant we didn't have to be up at the buttcrack of dawn to scamper a billions miles to the other side of the World to eat breakies. and, since we already had a bit of a buzz from our beers in Germany and our poolside mixed drinks, we decided tonite would be a good night to try out Pleasure Island.

we didn't end up leaving the Wilderness Lodge until about 11pm and waited at the bus stop with a bunch of gay guys for about an hour. one of the guys was particularly easy to get riled up, so we all got him good and mad and then convinced him to go complain about the bus service. I don't know what he said, but in about 10 minutes there was a bus there. we all cheered and patted our new friend on the back for his efforts.

I told Crystal that the buses to and from Pleasure Island late at night is probably punishment for the bus drivers. in prison they send you to Solitary, on Disney bus driver service, they put you on Late Night Pleasure Island Bus Detail. I swear, this was by FAR the rowdiest crew that ever set sail on a Disney bus that I have seen! we had people who were returning to PI for round 2, drunk already and swearing LOUD and running up and down the aisles, we had people doing booze cheers in the back, and I even got into the action a little. I led the whole bus in a rousing rendition of "B DOUBLE-E DOUBLE-R U N, BEER RUN!!!" I also attempted to lead this rowdy and disorganized bunch in a few drinking songs, but no one else knew the words, although they put forth a valiant effort.

when the bus arrived at Downtown Disney Marketplace, a small group of wide-eyed shoppers returning to their home resort boarded the Bus of the ****ed. I honestly felt sorry for these, in the words of Ursula, poor unfortunate souls, who had unwittingly thrust themselves into the hands of fate and destiny.

for about five minutes, these teetotalers (look it up) had to endure what was probably to be remembered as the worst five minutes aboard a bus ever. the ride from Downtown Disney Marketplace was about five minutes of pure anarchy, chaos, and drunken debauchery. we had both gay and straight couples drunk and making out in the seats, loud music somehow coming from God-knows-where, and basically, a bunch of drunks ready to get drunker, and a bunch of sober people extremely ready to get tanked and catch up with their busmates.

we pulled into the PI bus stop on two wheels (well, almost. the bus was rocking back and forth like a Mardi Gras float). there was an audible sigh of relief from the Marketplace denizens as our bus vomited out its rowdy contents onto the sidewalk in front of Pleasure Island.

we hit the first bar we came to. Raglan Road.

here in town I am a member of a national organization called "the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick." it is an organization founded in the 1800s to assist Irish immigrants in getting jobs. its membership is comprised of Irish immigrants and their descendents (you must prove it to even be able to fill out an application). we also put on the Saint Patrick's Day parade here in town every year on March 17th. so, needless to say, I am proud of my Irish heritage and have spent a good deal of time living in Ireland. I also enjoy drinking in Irish bars that play the old traditional Irish music that I know and love.

after hearing about how Raglan Road's bar was made from wood from an old bar in Dublin, I had to go there to check it out.

I must preface this was this: I have a bit of a problem with how Irishness is perceived and celebrated in America. it's all green shamrocks and shillelaghs, guinness hats, etc. it seems to have nothing to do with real Irish tradition and heritage (although the same case could almost be made about the pavilions in World Showcase, but I don't necessarily think that, so I'm not gonna attempt to go there). despite all that, I can stomach it, b/c even the Friendly Sons cater to that perception ourselves (our floats are all green and even have leprechauns on them, hahaha).

so we walk in to Raglan Road through a gift shop that is nothing but green, shamrocks, and guinness memorabilia... bad sign. the music doesn't sound too bad though, they are playing a rock n roll version of Whiskey in the Jar, a traditional Irish drinking tune that has been played by everyone from Metallica to Thin Lizzy. we saw the band and they were from Ireland (unless they were faking the accents) and had fiddles and stuff, so I thought they might not be too bad.

we got to the bar and I ordered Beamish. they didn't have it. in fact, the only Irish stout they had was, surprise surprise, Guinness. Crystal got a Harp and I had a Guinness (I love Guinness even though it's the flagship for Irish stout).

the band then started into that most hated of bar coverband songs, "Brown-Eyed Girl." we finished our beers and left. I was very disappointed. I asked someone who worked there on the way out, "Do they ever have traditional Irish music here? did I miss it?" she told me that they had trad. music every night from seven till nine, during happy hour. so apparently I had just missed it.

we then went over to the Adventurer's Club. we got in, walked downstairs, and I paid $12 for two Bud Lights (Crystal said we were paying for the entertainment, but I reminded her that tickets into PI are about $22 if you have to pay it). it was here that Crystal and I felt a little out of place. I'm pretty sure we were the only straight people in there. I have absolutely nothing against gay folks, but it was like we had gone to a gay bar where everyone there knew each other but no one knew us. we sat in a corner until the show started.

they ushered us all into the library and the show began...

first off, it smelled like feces in there. and the show was improv, so there were a lot of gay jokes. I think the humor was a little too "wet" for Crystal and I. it was enjoyable enough though, and I enjoyed the atmosphere nonetheless. our favorite character was a woman with horn-rimmed glasses who was the president of the adventurer's club. but, all in all, I think we would have enjoyed this place a little more if we felt like we fit in and didn't feel so much like we had crashed a party we weren't invited to.

we next went to the Beach Club. as mentioned before, Crystal loves the beach and everything to do with it. she loves old Beach Boys music, Gidget movies, etc. the brochure/guide we had for Pleasure Island said that this place was themed towards the beach and that the music was from the 50's and 60's. so we went in expecting some Beach Boys and other stuff that kinda went with that theme. unfortunately, the band played nothing but modern hits. I hafta say, they picked some decent songs to cover, it just wasn't what we were looking for.

by the time we had a few drinks and left there, PI was closing up shop for the night. thankfully, neither of us had to drive b/c despite our disappointment with the music, they still sold us alcohol at the bar.

someone asked me the other day why we didn't like Pleasure Island and I guess the main reason is this: it wasn't what we expected. now I know that sounds like a weak reason, but we were all geared up for all three of the places we were going (and went) and they just didn't live up to our high expectations. we were expecting something amazing (b/c everything up to that point had been amazing), but what we ended up getting was just a bunch of bars doing what bars everywhere else do.

I can see the appeal, don't get me wrong. for people from places where there aren't a lot of good bars all clustered in one place this place would be a dream come true. it just wasn't for us. like I mentioned somewhere else, those places are there b/c some sort of market research showed that most people like those kinds of bars.

and not to step on any toes, but PI has nothing to do with Walt's vision, and that's what I'm all about when it comes to Disney. Walt's dream was for a place where adults and kids could play together, not where adults could play with other adults. and I'm not saying that Walt wouldn't like PI because who am I to even begin to say what Walt Disney would or would not like. I'm just saying that, out of all of Disney World, PI seems the most removed from Walt Disney and the closest to what a big corporation would do.

whew. anywho...

the bus ride back from PI was much quieter than the one there. there were very few people on the bus and I guess they were nearly passed out.

we went home and hit the sack.

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Thanks for taking the time for all these detailed trip reports, I really enjoy reading them.
    Its almost like being there!
    Maggie

glad you like them!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Travis, this last one was HILARIOUS! I drunk duck lady!

The bus on two wheels part cracked me up too. Good job!

Travis, It sounds like you and your new wife had another fun-filled day at WDW. I hope my second honeymoon is as adventurous as yours.

Susan

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Once again a FABULOUS READ!!! Every day is another adventure and I enjoy hearing about the drunk duck lady.
    I have never done the PI thing, I think I would have the same reaction as you and your lovely bride....

Oh, and check out my ketchup picture of Summer (4Mickey) in my album!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain

I have seen it! that picture actually came to mind when I was writing out the stuff about the ketchup. a classic pic of a classic gag...

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Waiting............(tapping fingers on desk). C'mon, I want to laugh some more!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    Once again a FABULOUS READ!!! Every day is another adventure and I enjoy hearing about the drunk duck lady.
    I have never done the PI thing, I think I would have the same reaction as you and your lovely bride....

I couldnt find the pic can someone post a link to it?
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Wow! I've had so much fun catching up on this thread. Before I "left" I'd only read day 1! I've been sitting at my computer laughing at your stories! I'm so glad you & crystal had such a great time. You are a very good writer. I feel like I was with y'all! (even though I was probably just one park away at the time). Thanks for all of the wonderful dining reports. I can't wait to hear about your last couple of days.
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast