Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss My Honeymoon, May 28th thru June 7 in the Vacation Planning forums; hey. I first want to thank everyone on this board for being helpful, either with tips given to me directly, or with things shared in other threads that helped me ...
    the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

My Honeymoon, May 28th thru June 7

hey. I first want to thank everyone on this board for being helpful, either with tips given to me directly, or with things shared in other threads that helped me make my decisions on where to go and what to do. This was my first trip to WDW without my parents, and my wife's (who will here on out be referred to by her proper name, Crystal) first trip EVER. so needless to say, I was a bit nervous about what she would think of the whole thing. It had always been her dream to go, but her parents never had the money and they preferred to go to the beach anyway. so without further ado, I'll begin my first installment of my trip report.

Day 1. May 28th. Sunday.
    The night of our wedding we drove across the bay (Mobile Bay, in Alabama) and stayed in a hotel with a balcony that overlooks the entire delta area. it was beautiful, but we didn't haven enough time there to truly appreciate it. we got there around 4:00am and left at 8:00am the next morning.

we drove to my parents's house and they drove us to the airport in Pensacola, FL. we were going to be using Disney's Magical Express from the airport to the resort and I was super nervous b/c I had no idea how to work that particular brand of magic. we had dinner reservations and a reservation for a special seating for Wishes, so I was also nervous about the flight being delayed and us not making our reservations. how many times can I say nervous? a lot. I was a bundle of nerves that day. very jumpy.

the Magical Express turned out to be very self-explanatory. there were Disney people everywhere who were more than willing to help us out and point us in the right direction. so if there's anyone out there who is apprehensive about using the Magical Express, don't be... you'll figure it out no problem.

the Magical Express (a big bus with a cool paint job) got us to our resort, the Wilderness Lodge, around 3:30pm. in plenty of time for dinner. we went to our room, which was on the first floor and had a great backporch, relaxed a bit, then walked up to meet our reservation for 5:30pm at Artist Point.

I had some sort of Duck for an appetizer, the salmon for my entree, and "coffee two ways" for my dessert. the food was quite tasty. our waitress was a bit on the sarcastic side, which didn't bother me too much, but it bothered Crystal quite a bit. in fact, out of all the restaurants we eventually ate at, I think Artist Point was her least favorite... and only because of the service.

we went down there on the Premium Plan, which is basically just an upgraded Dining Plan. so when we got the bill for well over $100, I just handed over my room key, signed the receipt and we walked out of there! I felt like I had just gotten away with something! it was very nice.

we walked back to our room to see if our luggage had arrived. it had not. the clothes we had with us were not any good for gallavanting (sp?) about the MK, so we decided to have a sit and wait for our bags to show up, which they did.

we changed into some comfy clothes, hit the boat dock and headed over to the MK. Crystal nearly flipped when she saw the castle for the first time. a lifelong dream come true! good times.

when we got there, SpectroMagic was underway and the crowds were quite daunting, as we had just enough time to wiggle through the hordes of people to get to our Wishes seating reservation.

Crystal cried during Wishes. everything just fit her so well. right before we left, she got a job with the Sea Lab here, only weeks after graduating in Marine Biology (she'll be doing research on Oyster Reefs). she got married. she moved to the coast. everything was (and still is) going exceedingly well for her (us). so I think the whole message of "you wishes can come true, etc etc" really hit home for her. I have to admit, I had to choke it back myself. after two years of saving money, and almost 10 years away from WDW, I had finally done it. we were here. there was no denying it.

post-Wishes was extra magic hours in the MK, so we wrangled some bracelets and went into our first attraction, Philharmagic. amazing!!!! Crystal and I both loved it, of course.

after that, we spent the rest of the night (till closing at 2am) running between every ride that was open. I think we got more attractions covered in those 3-4 hours than we did in a whole day at MK later on. Splash Mtn, Big Thunder, Space Mtn, we did em all with time to spare!

we sailed home to the WL and hit the sheets, dog tired from a full day of action and satisfaction.

if you liked this, stay tuned for Day 2 coming asap. sorry I tell so many details, I'll try and keep things more brief from here on out.
    Last edited by the7thAve; 06-09-2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: dates were wrong

If we can dream it, we can do it

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Wonderful report and it isn't too long. It makes me want to go back and see Wishes tonight! Great job! It is so neat that this is her first trip and you get to share that with her! How fun!! I'm ready for day 2!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    **sniff sniff bawl .....you got me tearing up while reading it. Makes me almost want to get married and take a honeymoon.....NAHHH! LOL Sounds like a great time with the exception of the waitress. Tell the wifey I agree with her-nothing like bad service to ruin the meal. You will have to post some pics so we can see how cute you both looked.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    No need to be brief, we love the details in the trip reports.

Sounds like y'all were off to a good start (despite the waitress).

Can't wait to read some more!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    That was a wonderful trip report, not too long at all. Keep sharing all those great details with us, can't wait for day 2,3,4...
    Maggie

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    nice.. glad you had a good time....

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Great trip report Travis.. Can't wait to read the rest. So glad you two had a wonderful time... :mickey:
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    What a wonderful trip report! I'm enjoying it so much. I can't wait for the rest of it. Even though I was just there (same time as you)... you're making me want to go back & celebrate my honeymoon there again!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Day 2. May 29th. Monday.

thanks for all the positive responses! they made me get off my duff and continue. I also posted a select few pics from the trip in my gallery. well, I know all of you are on the edge of your seats, haha.... so here we go:

we started off Day 2 on the wrong foot. I made a mistake I had been warned against numerous times. I underestimated how long it would take to get somewhere (Epcot specifically) and I also underestimated how big Epcot was.

we had reservations for the Princess Breakfast at Akersus at 8:50am. we got to Epcot around 8:30am, and didn't know there was a special entrance for people with breakfast reservations. so we ran around getting frustrated by having to wait in line to get in when we had about 5 minutes till our reservation. finally I went into the package pickup store at the front of the park and that's where some kindly customer told me that there was a special entrance for folks with the breakfast reservations.

we ran through the special entrance and hot-footed it to Akersus, making two wrong turns on the way there (don't ask me how). we got there 30 minutes late, but they didn't seem to mind. we had a seat on the curb, cooled down a bit, and waited until they called our name. Crystal is used to having breakfast every day, so she was starving and grumpy. she also asked me if the people who worked there were actually from Norway, or were faking it. I thought that was hilarious.

we got called in and she got a picture made with Belle. then we were seated and breakfast began! the decor was really cool. in fact, I can't think of one restaurant we went to that didn't have awesome atmosphere. the princesses came around and Crystal got pics with all of em. Snow White came up and said, "Good morning, Princess!" Crystal said "Good morning, you look so pretty!" and then Snow White said in her squeaky voice, "You look gorgeous too, Princess!" which is when I busted out laughing and nearly fell out of my chair! it was so funny b/c we both knew we looked like warmed over poo. we hadn't had any sleep, hadn't had time to shower, Crystal didn't have time to put on any makeup, etc. we basically looked terrible. so it was hilarious when she said that.

in case you don't know me, I'm a bit of a joker. not mean, I just enjoy a little humor every now and again. so I went into my first Princess Breakfast thinking I was gonna make the princesses break character and talk to them just like I would talk to anyone else, but when one actually came over to our table for the first time, I seriously went into some kind of Disney~Princess Trance. I was mesmerized and I couldn't complete any of my sentences. I just sat there gazing at them as they paraded over one by one with my mouth wide open. it was weird. and when we left I couldn't explain what happened, but Crystal and I both agreed that it was going to be impossible for either of us to ever talk to one of the princesses like they were a normal person.

after breakfast we were stuffed, so what was my bright idea??? get fast passes for test track and stand in line for Mission: Space orange version!!!! I was really nervous getting on Mission: Space because spinning rides make me sick (like the tea cups or the tilt-a-whirl) and the announcer kept saying, "If you have ANY doubts about riding the orange version, we STRONGLY advise you to get in the green line" or something like that. but, I came through like a champ. in fact, I loved it! my dream when I was a kid was to be an astronaut and I guess Mission: Space is as close as I'll ever get.

skip to lunch. Alfredo di Roma in the Italian pavilion.
    this was one of my favorite meals we had in WDW. our server's name was Pasqualino and when he found out it was our honeymoon, he went out of his way to be nice to us. the food was awesome!!!! (I don't remember what I had, but my dessert was some kind of sampler tray) the service was the most friendly and genuine I may have ever had anywhere! I LOVED this place! Crystal's favorite dish of all time is Fettucini Alfredo, so taking her to a place owned by the family who invented Alfredo sauce was like taking her on some sort of food pilgrimage to her homeland. I strongly suggest this place!

after lunch we strolled around the World Showcase, stopping in pavilions and doing things that I had never had time to do before, but which I found quite charming. like the movie in the China pavilion or the French pavilion. speaking of which, on to dinner!!!!

Les Chefs de France.
    the atmosphere in this place was not too great. it seemed really bustling. our waiter was very professional, but curt and to the point. I tried some escargot and loved it! (it was a little rich though, and gave me an upset stomach later) Crystal and I talked about how the restaurants seemed to be good representations of the nations cultures. the Italian restaurant was very warm and inviting and sorta emotional. the French restaurant was very businesslike and kinda cold. I don't remember what kinda dessert I got, but it was good!

anytime a restaurant has a specialty, I order it b/c I have always not been able to understand why people would go into a, for example, barbeque place and order the fish. I ALWAYS order whatever it is a place is famous for (I didn't have the Alfredo in Italy, b/c Alfredo makes me ill since I made some with some cream that had turned one time). I also always order something that is specific on a menu. what I mean by that is that anytime a place had something that was like "the Happiest Celebration on Earth souffle!!!" I ordered it. I like things that seem kinda time-sensitive. like things that aren't always on the menu.

after dinner, we strolled slowly out and went home, tired as heck, mainly due to our mad dash across the park that morning. we went for a dip in the pool and hit the sheets early.

-end of Day 2.
    Last edited by the7thAve; 06-10-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Meals around the world for day 2. Makes me hungry just reading it!
    Maggie

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    ... Great reports, matey - I soooo wish we were there now!!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    ... I must go and check out the photos now - brb!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    That was a great report, Bos! I loved the part where Crystal asked about the Norway CMs and how you went ga-ga talking to the princesses.

When can we expect the rest of the report?

Day 3, May30th, Tuesday.

Our first full day at the Magic Kingdom!!!!

we started off the day in grand fashion: by eating breakfast with Cinderenda (how Crystal's little sister pronounces it) at her Royal Table!!! when I made this reservation, it was the last one available for this day and that was over 180 days out!!! but, I saw why not too long after.

we were first ushered into a lobby or foyer where Cinderenda was taking pictures with everyone. I declined and just let Crystal get her pic made (see my gallery). she said, "this one is for Iva!" Iva is her little sister who may never get to see Disney World (Crystal's mom and stepdad have very little moneys). all the people who worked there were SO nice. I'm sure we all are familiar with Disney courtesy, but the folks at the Royal Table really treated us well (although being called "m'lord" made me a bit uncomfortable).

when we got to our table, it was a small table for two next to the center window and, believe it or not, a relatively good distance from any little kids (on a side note, a mom said to us one time, as a random kid yanked on her arm, "if I was just here with my husband, I would get tired of all these kids!" to which I replied, "well, if you can't stand kids, you're in the wrong place!" which I share just to let ya know that I can tolerate kids, especially at Disney. my motto was that I didn't mind if I missed something so that I kid could see it or get it).

the food was the typical Disney sit-down breakfast. not a buffet, but the same food, just brought to your table. we got used to all that bacon, sausage, waffles, biscuits and gravy (do people outside the South eat this, too?), and oj and coffee. I love good breakfast food! the Royal Table also offers what I referred to as the "hippy breakfast" but which they refer to as the "cold breakfast" which features, among other hippy foods, granola. no thanks!

around that time, the princesses started parading over. I don't remember who came by, but my favorite was Snow White. she was Sassy-pants Snow White! she saw our Mickey bride and groom buttons and said, "Where is your pixie dust? you're supposed to have pixie dust on your table for your honeymoon!!! who's your server??? no, I'm serious, who's your server???"

sure enough, Snow White scurried off and five minutes later our waitress came out with an announcement. "Hear ye! Hear ye! these here people is married! blah blah blah" or something like that. then, she did the nicest thing ever! she gave us a gift from Cinderenda herself!!! two champagne flutes with "Cinderella's Royal Table" printed on them! and a certificate signed by 'Renda herself!!!

so needless to say, I was super glad we snagged the reservations for the Royal Table. oh, and they also gave us, and everyone else, their pics with Cinderenda for FREE!!!! an 8x10 and four 5x7's!!!! in a neat little folder thing!!! this place ruled!

after we walked down and out of the castle, we entered Fantasyland and rode Cinderella's horses on the carousel. it was actually kinda nice, and there wasn't anyone else there. until lunch, we rode rides, saw shows, shopped, etc.

we met our lunch reservations at Tony's Town Square at 2:30pm. I thought this restaurant was the place where Lady and the Tramp ate in the movie, but there was a slight difference. this place is, basically, just themed after the Lady and the Tramp movie. but, the service was nice, and out seats were in a sort of atrium type thing, which is where we hung out until the 3pm parade came by (Share a Dream Come True). I had Calamari for an appetizer, a grilled Panini sammitch, and some kind of dessert (I think it was another "Happiest Celebration on Earth" thing). this place was good, but not great.

we hung around the MK until about 6:30pm and then we took the monorail to the Polynesian for the Spirit of Aloha dinner show.

while we were planning our honeymoon, Crystal and I had a bit of a disagreement about where we were gonna stay. She likes the ocean/beach because she grew up in the mountains. I like the mountains because I grew up at the beach. so, she wanted to stay at the Polynesian and I wanted to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. being as I was the one paying for the whole thing, I made the executice decision and we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. but I am no dictator. I give concessions to my constituency. one of which was this show. I booked us into the Luau show as a sort of way to give Crystal a little taste of Hawaii.

we got our seats (right next to the stage! front row!!! pics coming eventually) and started in on our salad and fruit, which was waiting for us already. we ordered our beer from our server. we asked our waitress to take a picture for us and she not-so-politely declined. in fact, she was downright snippy about it. granted, we didn't realize how busy she was and that she didn't have time to do it, but still... it kinda put me off a bit. the nice people next to us, realizing we were a party of two with no one to take pics for us, offered a trade: you take one of us, we'll take one of you. this trade worked out well and we utilized this transaction at every opportunity throughout the rest of our trip.

the show was a real groaner... at first. they tried to have some weak story about some girl coming home to Hawaii and trying to get back in touch with her roots and reconciling the differences between her new modern life on the mainland, and her traditional roots with her family in Hawaii. the characters were not developed nearly enough for the audience to really care if she ever "got it" or not and the storyline wasn't even enough to bother even trying to follow.

the show took a break and the food came out. "barbecued" meat, rice, and maybe some other stuff I can't remember. I put "barbecued" in quotes because here in the Deep, we know barbecue! and this wasn't it. granted, it was tasty, just definitely not the best I have ever had.

my ears and eyes perked up when the second half of the show started. it seemed they were making a turn towards what I had expected for a long time: traditional Polynesian dance and fire!!! not only was there scantily clad young ladies to gawk at, but there was a lot of fire being flippantly tossed about! it was a dude's dream come true! Crystal liked it too! there were scantily clad dudes, but she's also into hula dancing and Hawaiian culture in general. so, bottom line, if you go, no need to pay attention to the first half of the show, but get your bathroom needs taken care of before the second half starts!

the dessert came out and it was some kind of mousse shaped into volcanoes. it was pretty weak. I mean, it was tasty, but the presentation was way more extravagant than the dessert itself.

plus, I thought this whole deal was "all you could eat." it was like getting an act of Congress to get your server to bring you more of anything! including beer/drinks! we never received any second helpings of food. not that we necessarily wanted any more, but we were never even asked if we did or not!!! I was glad this whole deal was included with our package, and I didn't have to pay for it! Crystal liked it though, which was the point, I guess. and I thought it was pretty cool, too. but that was before we went to the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue a few nights later!

after the show, we stopped on the Polynesian's beach to watch the fireworks, which although not a part of the luau, were the best show of the night. "Wishes!!! Wishes!!!" awesome.

I think we went home and hit the sack after that.

Another "magical day". I have to agree with you on the whole Hoop Dee Doo vs Luau thing.
    Maggie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast