Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Honey, I'm Home---Again. in the Vacation Planning forums; Day 1-After working all day at the office, I arrive home at 2:30 ready to hit the road and guess what---Mr. iwannabeminnie is nowhere to be found. Not to worry, ...
    iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!

Honey, I'm Home---Again.

Day 1-After working all day at the office, I arrive home at 2:30 ready to hit the road and guess what---Mr. iwannabeminnie is nowhere to be found. Not to worry, there are still a few things that need to be wrapped up. The dog and cat need to be boarded, the makeup case needs to be filled, the dishwasher unloaded. After 45 minutes I decide to give the missing a call. He is at one of the rentals repairing a leaking pipe. At about 5:30, Mr. Plumber shows up covered from head to toe in dirt. He jumps into the shower while I finish his last minute packing and by 6:00 we are on the road.

We arrive in Columbus, OH around 8:30. Yes, I said Columbus. You try getting a flight out of Indianapolis the week of Memorial Day. The hotel at the airport (Comfort Suites) was very nice. We had grabbed some Taco Bell in St. Mary's and stopped at a CVS near the airport so we were set for munchies. We tossed a bag of popcorn in the microwave, watched a little TV and turned in early. After all, the alarm clock was going off at 4:00 am.

Day 2-Yep, that's the alarm clock and it is 4:00. Mr. iwannabeminnie gets up and gets into the shower and I turn over and go back to sleep. Ten minutes later a squeaky clean man is poking me and telling me to get up. It doesn't take much to get me going, after all in just a few short hours I will be at WDW.

Our flight leaves at 6:00 so at 5:00 am we are catching the shuttle to the airport. It's a good thing we grabbed munchies, because the hotel was not serving breakfast yet at 5:00 am. We board our plane, the flight is uneventful and we arrive in due course at MCO. Magical Express was no problem as we have become pros at it by now.

We arrived at Port Orleans Riverside and checked in. My brother-in-law had been there earlier and checked his family in, checked his luggage and had headed back to the airport to return his rental car and to meet my sister and niece's plane. (He had arrived the prior week. He has a branch office in Orlando and was doing some work there.) When we checked in we asked that we be near Deanna and Jeff, so they did some rearranging and gave us connecting rooms. The down side was that we switched from a king sized bed to two fulls. We did sleep in separate beds for the entire week, Mr. iwannabeminnie being a taller person who need his space.

While we were waiting for Deanna, Jeff, and Christie to arrive we roamed the grounds and checked out the gift shop. I would definitely stay at Port Orleans Riverside again. We had requested a mansions room, but didn't get it. It was okay though. The bayou rooms were just fine.

The Magical Express bus FINALLY arrives bearing relatives. We dump their supplies, claim Jeff's luggage and take it all to our room since theirs wasn't ready yet. Then we head for the food court and some lunch. We had some pizza, some chicken quesadillas, some salad, some cheesecake, cookies, and carrot cake. We put all the food in the middle of the table and shared. That way we got to taste everything.

After lunch we head over to Epcot. We start touring World Showcase in Canada (Christie's choice). Christie got to see Mary Poppins in Great Britain and we were all thrilled. None of us had ever met Mary before.

Our tour of World Showcase continued pretty much as you might expect it. By dinner time we were in Morocco and had reservations for Restaruant Marrakesh. As some of you may already be aware, we had purchased the dining plan just for Deanna, Jeff, and Christie. We had used the "free" dining plan in October and WAY over ate. So the plan was to use the three meals to feed the five of us. We ordered the beef brewat roll, chicken bastilla, and Jasmina Salad for our appetizers. We ordered the lamb, lemon chicken, and beef kebob for our entrees and the pastry assortment for dessert. The food was okay. The service stunk. We got stuck in a corner next to the kitchen and the waiter acted as if he couldn't care less if we were there or not. When we told him we were using three meals to feed the five of us he became even less inclined to serve us. No extra tip for him!

After dinner we continued our tour. Christie became enamoured by Hidden Mickey's and we used Steve's book to locate all of them. We came out of The American Adventure about 10 minutes before Illuminations started and found a great place for viewing.

After Illuminations I whipped out a surprise. While we were in one of the shops in Canada Deanna and Jeff were talking to each other about the fact that it was their anniversary (21 years) and they were debating on splurging on a particular item. The cast member in the store asked me about it and I assured her that it was indeed their anniversary. She supplied me with a front of the line pass for Soarin' for the five of us. So we head over to Soarin' and take the back stage route to the front of the line. We all loved Soarin'. I think it might be my new favorite ride.

After Soarin' we headed for "home" and to bed. It was after 10:00 and we had all (except Jeff) started out very early that morning.
    They call me "Nana"

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Sounds great! Can't wait to see the next report!

**I am a little nervous about trying Magical Express--any suggestions??

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Sounds like a good "first day" - can't wait to read more!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs
    Sounds great! Can't wait to see the next report!

**I am a little nervous about trying Magical Express--any suggestions??
    Oh gosh, we LOVE Magical Express. Mr. iwannbeminnie carried absolutely NOTHING with him on the plane. I had a small bag with my camera, umbrella, and rain ponchos because the forecast called for rain that afternoon. We did have about 5 minutes of heavy rain and then the sun was shining once again. That is it. Nothing to deal with at the airport. Just check in and at the end of the day your bags are sitting in your room waiting for you.
    They call me "Nana"

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Sounds like a good first day!

Have you missed me???????? Glad to see that you didn't wreck the place before our arrival!

How long does it take to get from the airport to a resort (approximately) using the Magical Express??

How long does it take to get from the airport to a resort (approximately) using the Magical Express??

Depends....does your Magical Express driver know how to get to your hotel???? Jer????? Any insight on this one?

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Great first day Iwannabeminnie!! Can't wait to see what is next to come!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

I really didn't time it and it is going to depend on how many stops your bus makes. In October we were the first stop. This past trip we were the last stop. We still got there in less than an hour and a half from the time we stepped off the plane, which is still faster than waiting for your luggage at the carousel, finding your rental car or other means of transportation and getting to the resort.

Speaking of luggage---we have coined a new phrase. We call luggage "luggage". The airport calls luggage "baggage". When you are trying to say "luggage" while you are looking at a sign that says "baggage", it comes out "buggage." At least that is how Kandis said it the last time we took her to the airport. So now we all say "buggage". The people at the airport gave us some funny looks.
    They call me "Nana"

Day 3-Rise and shine sleepy heads. It is time to go see our favorite waitress in all of the World. MT, whose last name is Wallet, works at Whispering Canyon Cafe during the breakfast run. If you are ever at WCC for breakfast, make sure you ask to be seated at MT's station. Breakfast was the pastry basket (we asked for and received thanks to MT two baskets of only the cinnamon rolls which are the best on the planet), the fruit tray (our three appetizers), and three ham and cheese omelets. We were all stuffed and carrried enough cinnamon rolls back to the hotel with us for breakfast the next day.

When it came time for the horse races, MT was not about to let me sit it out, so I ran the race with Christie. We were both awarded a wooden nickel for our efforts. I was served a REALLY big glass of iced tea (even though I was loudly assured by MT that tea is NOT a breakfast drink) so she wouldn't have to keep running back and forth.

After breakfast we load our cinnamon rolls into a box generously provided by MT and head to Blizzard Beach. First thing on our agenda is Summit Plummet. Ed and Jeff are ahead of Christie and myself (yeah, my sister is a wuss, what can I say--she sat it out) and they turn around to tell us to hurry up. In case you didn't know, there are a LOT of stairs going up to Summit Plummet, but it is still faster than waiting for the chair lift. I tell them to chill, that I have old woman knees. Christie says, "Yeah, and I have little kid knees." Okay, say it real fast. We are all dying laughing and she can't figure out what is so funny.

Anyway, Summit Plummet was conquered. Do that a few times and you can just beat the fat off of your backside.

We spent the rest of the morning into the early afternoon enjoying Blizzard Beach.

After returning to our rooms for a quick shower and to don our matching Donald Duck shirts (that I picked up at the Disney Store in Fort Wayne for a mere $4.99 each thanks to a tip from Melissa) we head for the Magic Kingdom.

Our first order of business is to stop on Main Street and grab some "quests" for Christie who is in to VMK. We got one for Frontierland and for Fantasyland.

Second order of business, Dole Whips. Yes, Dole Whips are now considered a "snack" on the dining plan. YIPPEE!

After scarfing our Dole Whips we tour Adventureland and do all the attractions there (except for Pirates which was closed, boo hoo). Frontierland is next on the list and we get Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad done before catching the train back to the front of the park for our reservations at Tony's Town Square.

For dinner we order the fried cheese, the calamari (which was great), spaghetti and two veal T-Bones. The veal was out of this world. For dessert we had cheesecake (2) and the carmelized apple cake with cinnamon ice cream.

After dinner we head back to Frontierland and finish up there with the Country Bears. Then it is off to Liberty Square and the Haunted Mansion followed by the Hall of Presidents. We leave the Hall of Presidents just in time to catch Spectromagic. After Spectromagic we scout Frontierland for the answers to Christie's VMK quest until time for Wishes. Then it is back to Port Orleans and those wonderful beds!
    They call me "Nana"

Sounds like another fabulous day! I am so glad to hear about the Dole Whips being on the plan!!! Yeah!!! I may have to save up some snacks Thanks for sharing another day with us!

The people at the airport gave us some funny looks.
    Oh, there are so many things that this could be about- but I will behave.

You, behave? Don't make me shoot tea out my nose!
    They call me "Nana"

Day 4-Today is the day. Yep, it's today. Today is the day I get to meet the Yeti. Up close. Personal. We arrive at the Animal Kingdom Park just before 8:00 am and line up for the opening dash to Expedition Everest. We arrive in Asia, snag our fast passes for EE and since the wait is only 15 minutes we get in line. We are glad we did. The queue area is wonderful. There are so many things to look at. We have to toss a penny onto the altar as we pass and make a wish. The first time was amazing. When we returned later with our fast passes it was even better. The only bad thing about fast passes are that you miss all those wonderful displays in the queue. Did I mention that my sister is lily-livered? Yeah, well I have a GREAT photo of her on EE that I will have to post later. I almost wet my pants laughing everytime I look at it. Ed and Jeff look almost relaxed. Christie and I are enjoying the rush, and Deanna---she is, she is---well, a picture is worth a thousand words.

After our second go round with the Yeti (Deanna stayed in the gift shop this time) we grabbed some fast passes for Kali River Rapids and headed over to Africa. We hopped on the safari, looked at some gorillas, and then headed back to Asia. Deanna and I donned our rain ponchos. Ed was putting his on but buckled under Christie's pressure and decided not to wear it. Guess which one of us got dumped on.....yep, Ed. While we waited for him to dry off we visited with some tigers and prowled around the Tree of Life.

At lunch time we headed over to Tusker House and grabbed us 1 1/2 chickens, some mashed potatoes, green beans, and 3 pieces of chocolate cake. After eating our fill, we went to see some bugs. That is my FAVORITE 3-D show. Even better than Philharmagic which I love but on a different level.

Then back to the resort for one of us to change clothes.

We spend the afternoon at Disney Quest. We had to give it a last HOO-Rah. We will miss Disney Quest very, very much. We designed roller coasters, had bumper car wars with each other, took an animation class (I must say I draw a decent Minnie), shot aliens, drove race cars, watched Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man get married (a couple of times) and had a great time.

We did take a break sometime in there to have dinner at Planet Hollywood. Since we had the "free" meal voucher from our package, each of the adults ordered their own hamburger and Christie had chicken strips. The food was very good and the tea was even better. That afternoon was one of the hottest while we were there.

After dinner we were back at Disney Quest until about 9:00 and then it was time for some serious shopping. I think World of Disney got most of the money I had with me that night. We enjoyed a little of the Downtown Disney Dance Party for kids, splurged at the candy store, and had a wonderful, almost romantic boat ride back to the resort much later in the evening. Back to those really, really wonderful beds.
    Last edited by iwannabeminnie; 06-20-2006 at 11:52 PM.
    They call me "Nana"

Day 5- This is an EMH day for Epcot so we head over first thing and snag fast passes for Soarin'. Like I may have mentioned before I LOVE this ride. I would be too chicken to ever go hang gliding for "real" but I can do this. No chance of me crashing into the mountainside.

Then we head to Test Track and ride twice. At Mission: Space Jeff and Christie opt for the "full effect" while Deanna and I take the wussy side. Then it is off to see Ellen. The Wonders of Life pavilion looks beat down and forlorn. I hope they do something with that soon.

We head over to the Living Seas and decided to bypass "Turtle Talk". The crowd was enormous. I have no suggestions on how to beat the crowd except be the first one there in the morning when they open up. We looked at the tanks and then headed to the Land for our Fast Pass Time. Before getting on Soarin' we grabbed Living with the Land fast passes. We rode Soarin', saw "The Circle of Life" and then it was time for Living with the Land.

We lunched at Le Cellier. As usual it was delicious. We split 3 big steaks. We got 2 shrimp ****tails and an order of the cheddar cheese soup for dipping our bread. For dessert we had a maple creme brulee, a chocolate cake, and a chocolate "moose".

After lunch we head back to the Imagination Pavilion and see Figment and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Then we head over to Innoventions and get to ride a Segway. I need one of those. After enjoying the displays at Innoventions we head for World Showcase.

We tour Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, and Italy before heading out the back door to catch a boat to MGM.

We try to get Fast Passes for Rock N Roller Coaster and only get two. They were the last two for the day, so the CM gives us a pass for all of us that is good anytime. We jump on board right away. Even Deanna gets on. She refuses to ride Tower of Terror next, however.

Next is the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. We sit close to the front and scream and yell like a bunch of idiots. Jeff is chosen as one of the extras. He is asked to do a disco dance routine. Deanna is video taping and I am shooting pictures, but we are both laughing so hard we can hardly function.

Just as we are leaving the stunt show it starts pouring rain. We have our trusty ponchos and we are within 20 minutes of our dinner reservation at Sci-Fi so we just head over there. We have a leisurely dinner (partly because the service was really slow) and leave very refreshed and relaxed. The plus side is that the storm has emptied the park. The rain has stopped by time we leave the restaurant so we have the park virtually to ourselves. We walk into Muppet Vision, walk on to Star Tours and the Great Movie Ride.

At 10 minutes before the second showing of Fantasmic we are able to walk right in and find great seats right in the middle. They are close to the top which suits us fine because we can avoid the spray from the water jets AND be some of the first ones out after it is over.

At the conclusion of Fantasmic we head back to Port Orleans and those wonderful beds.
    They call me "Nana"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast