Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Trip Reports & Member Reviews Discuss Trip Report, Day 1..8/24/06 in the Vacation Planning forums; We returned to WDW for the 2nd time in 2006. This time, however, we brought the newest member of my Disney-crazed family...2 month old Michael III, my son! We had ...
    sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Trip Report, Day 1..8/24/06

We returned to WDW for the 2nd time in 2006. This time, however, we brought the newest member of my Disney-crazed family...2 month old Michael III, my son! We had heard the advice...don't take an infant to WDW in August, the heat, the rain, he won't remember, etc. Well, we had a good reason to take him. When he was born, he had a few complications, and while he was in the NICU, my wife was talking to him and said "If you get better we'll take you to Disney World!" Believe it or not, the kid opened his eyes and started flailing about..and he was released a week later. Don't know if you believe in Pixie Dust, but we sure do!

As it was, my brother and his family had their annual massive Universal/Disney trip scheduled for late August. We figured that we could jump in, maybe not for his entire 13 day trip, but to at least hook up at WDW for a few days. We booked the free dining plan on the last day it was available, at Pop Century, preferred room. Our 7 YO daughter is a grizzled Disney veteran, this was her 5th trip to Disney (4 times WDW, once at Disneyland), and we figured that she could spend park time with her cousins while we took it slow with the baby.

We left early on 8/24, Air Tran from Philly to MCO. I have an Air Tran credit card, and was able to upgrade us to business class on both legs of the trip...the extra room helped with my wife carrying the baby. We were a little concerned about the effect of the air pressure on the baby's ears, but he flew like a champ, slept the whole way through.

The flight was on time, we picked up our rental car right at the airport, and were on our way. As we headed to Pop, we got caught in a driving rainstorm...ah, Florida in the summer! Our last few trips were in the fall/winter, we had forgotten how different the weather is in the summer. We made it to Pop safely and checked in. Room 5208, pool view in the 60's. Our crib and fridge that we requested were delivered witin 30 minutes of check-in.

Ok, now it's about 4 PM, what to do? My brother's crew was already roaming the Magic Kingdom. We had an 8:30 dinner rez at Concourse Steakhouse, and we decided to just kick back in the room (over my objections..quality park time was being wasted!) We figured it made more sense to take it easy, nap for a bit, then go eat.

Dinner was excellent. The steaks were cooked perfectly, service was cordial. We watched the MK fireworks from the Contemporary observation deck. We headed back to the room to rest up for our first full day, but not before a trek off-property to pick up some essentials! (Beer, chips, bottled water).
    Last edited by sterm26; 09-05-2006 at 02:01 AM.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Quote Originally Posted by sterm26 View Post
    we decided to just kick back in the room (over my objections..quality park time was being wasted!) We figured it made more sense to take it easy, nap for a bit, then go eat.
    That sonds pretty sensible and it dosen't sound like you objected too hard. I'm looking forward to reading more of this report, and seeing how you adjusted to a slower touring pace. I have done some slow paced days myself, mostly by my own chioce though. That doesn't mean there aren't any days where I just"hit a lot of rides" I just don't do that all the time. It's more like, going at a slower pace through the parks, I take pleasure in differnt things. I think my 2005 Disneyland trip (on my web site) is a good example of this. I'll have to look up some of your older trip reports to compare.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for sharing....
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Big Brian

I'm editing my reports so as not to have a novel on my hands, so the slow touring pace we took probably doesn't come out too well. We definitely did not do a traditional "commando" type trip, but we made sure to visit all of our favorite attractions at least once. In the brutal heat of midday, we would either stop for lunch or find thebaby care center in whatever park we were in. The key to our trip, in my opinion, was judicious use of Fastpass, as well as using the evening Extra Magic hours. The crowds at the EMH were not as bad as I had heard, but then again, it wasn't peak season.

Thanks for reading, I'll have some more later!
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Thank you for sharing! I LOVE reading these trip reports. I will be off to read Day 2 now!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!