Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss HELP!! Campground for Xtra MagicHours?? in the Vacation Planning forums; Ok, so my family is talking (again) about a big family trip to disney in June. And the talk is that we are going to rent a 7-bedroom house and ...
    PrincessTammi is offline E-Ticket Holder

HELP!! Campground for Xtra MagicHours??

Ok, so my family is talking (again) about a big family trip to disney in June. And the talk is that we are going to rent a 7-bedroom house and all stay together OFF site. Being off site means we don't have access to extra magic hours, but I had read or been told or something, that if you rent a campground for one night you could use the extra magic hours on two days (check in day and check out day). I can rent a campground for 10 people for about $75. Totally worth it if I can get 3 "extra magic hours sessions"

We're thinking June 7th we "check in" to the campground for one night, 10 people. We actually wouldn't STAY there since we'll have the house, but we'll reserve it and never even go to it....

So here are the questions -

Can we check in VERY EARLY (and get IDs) and get to a park for morning extra hours THAT morning? Or is that just totally pushing it?

If I check in on the 7th (check out on the 8th), I'll be able to go to extra hours on the evening of the 7th, but also the morning of the 8th and the evening of the 8th, RIGHT??

And finally, there are about 15 of us in the party total, but I can only list 10 guests on the campground reservation....does anyone know if 10 of us go to one of the extra hours sessions, can the others go on the next night?? (again, we aren't actually going to stay at the site - we'll actually stay at the house we've rented).

I guess my concern is that the resort IDs will have names on them....but will they even check the names on the IDs?

I think when I was just there they scanned my resort ID, and it showed 2 adults and a child - and thats what was standing there (me DH and DD), so they slapped wrist bands on us....so Im' thinking they'll just scan the card and say something like 5 adults/5 kids...and NOT check to see if thats who is actually there (other than its 5 adults and 5 kids each night)...what do you think?? I'm not trying to sneak in any EXTRA people...just the # of people I've paid for at the resort. If I can do that...3 'sessions' for 10 people each session, for $75...thats a bargain I think...its like $2.50 per person per session. I think its worth that to have an extra 3 hours in the magic kingdom from 11pm to 2am! And I know the teenagers will LOVE it!!

Can anyone confirm my plan - does it work the way I think it works?
    I DID IT!! I finished the ToT 13K! It was actually harder than I ever imagined to be honest. BUT I just kept moving, just keep moving...(could barely move AFTER the race, lol)

Next trip: ???? I almost always have one on the horizon, but given the economy...who knows when I'll get back after this trip!!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    My gut reaction to anything that complicated is that it's not going to work, but....

At the resorts, you could check in wicked early on the 7th and go to the extra magic hour at MK that morning - it's just one hour starting at 8 a.m. - so I guess you could at the campground. Not sure how they work the "Keys to the World" cards if you don't have tickets on them and your room (or campsite) is not ready yet. I would figure they would issue them with the names on them but nothing else if you explained you were on your way to EMH.
    Evening hours on the 7th are at Epcot from 9 - 12.
    Studios has the morning EMH from 8-9 a.m. on the 8th.
    Evening hours are at Magic Kingdom on the 8th from 11 - 2.
    all of that is subject to change at any time.

As for checking a group card vs. individual cards, that might just be a matter of luck. Not sure how they would work it in the mornings, when you would have to run tickets through and show resort ID at the same time - I would expect you would have a higher chance of getting 'caught' that way with names/tickets not matching up. At the evening EMH wristband distribution, things tend to be a bit more casual, so that might be less of an issue.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Yea, the evenings are really what we're looking for and mostly for the teenagers in the party - so we're going to register all the teenagers at the campground (there are supposed to be 6 of them) so they will be VERY legit at the late night hours. We're just kind of hoping the adults can split the other resort IDs.

I think it sounds complicated - but seriously in my head I think its all straight. The only "funny" part is going to be if we try to get adults in who aren't registered to the campsite...(again, we wouldn't be trying to get more in than we register - but we want 4 to go on one night and maybe 4 different adults the next night). And I really don't think they'd catch on, but my own ethics are bothering me about it...so maybe we don't "share" those resort IDs...so the same 4 adults get to go both evenings and the other adults just don't get to go....

thanks for the response!
    I DID IT!! I finished the ToT 13K! It was actually harder than I ever imagined to be honest. BUT I just kept moving, just keep moving...(could barely move AFTER the race, lol)

Next trip: ???? I almost always have one on the horizon, but given the economy...who knows when I'll get back after this trip!!

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    this sounds hoakey to me.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I have to say, this is the only scheme I've ever read that isn't completely unworkable or moronic. It might just work. And it's not even cheating.

You will have 10 people as paid registered guests at a WDW owned-and-operated resort. Whether or not you spend time in or sleep in the room (campsite) is really none of WDW's business.

You can check in to a resort as early as 6:00 a.m. Even if the "room" isn't ready you'll still get your "key"/resort ID.

It certainly is true that you have access to all of the amenities associated with being a WDW resort guest from the moment you check in until 11:59 p.m. of the day you check out. But don't even take that 11:59 p.m. thing literally. If a park closed at 12:00 a.m., it's still part of the previous day .... etc. etc. ....

Interesting. Even just for the 2 evening EMHs for a total of 6 extra park hours, you're talking $75 across 10 people, that's $7.50 per person, and $1.25 per person per extra evening hour.

BRILLIANT!!!

I honestly don't see a flaw, at least for the 10 people named on the resort reservation.It's a devious yet totally honest manipulation of the system. I'm one of those annoying goodie-goodie people, but it seems to me you're working within the system rather than breaking the system.

Bravo!
    -- Eric

LOL, well thank you. I think....

I actually got the idea at the last DisMeet (now called MagicMeets) in one of the breakout sessions...I think it came from the DisneyonaDime guy...

IF my family actually does attempt this trip (there are like 14 of us total I think), I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes...

Seems to me like some good bang for the buck, especially for the teens who I KNOW will have a ball in the parks after hours.

Hoakey? Maybe, but if it works, and if its legal to disney rules (and I think it is, unless we switch off adult, which I doubt we'll do - my own Jiminy Cricket been talkin to me) - its brilliant.

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    The only thing is there might be charges for additional adults on the site.
    Maggie

pgowder is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDznyCamper View Post
    The only thing is there might be charges for additional adults on the site.
    I think you're right. Check into the total cost first!

But great idea.