Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Should we go to Disneyland? in the Vacation Planning forums; For those of you who have been to DL before, but go to WDW dozens of times a year... can you compare the two for me? Give any tips or ...
    klineski96 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Should we go to Disneyland?

For those of you who have been to DL before, but go to WDW dozens of times a year... can you compare the two for me? Give any tips or suggestions? My wife and I have had annual passes to WDW for a couple years now and go whenever we get the chance. Now we are thinking about going to DL and are curious to know what someone who is used to WDW thinks about Disneyland.

If you have any comments about Disneyland's versions of POTC or Haunted Mansion that would be especially helpful because those are our favorite rides! And also if you can comment on the rides that WDW does NOT have... we'd love to hear what you have to say! (Mr Toad, Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Indiana Jones etc...)

Any general advice, tips, secrets, suggestions, and pictures would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a great day!

(I realize there is another thread similar to this under the Disneyland section, but it's mainly just people saying which park they feel is better.)
    I have tons of of various Hidden Mickeys. If there's one you want to see, and if I have it, just ask me and I'll be glad to share it with you!

|_ _|

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I'll this up for you. I can only say that if I had the opportunity to go to DL, I would in a heartbeat. I would love for my kids and I to see where it all started.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I grew up just outside of Anaheim, so I've been to DL hundreds of times. Go. Definitely go. First, for the history. It is the first, and (sorry WDW die-hards) some of the rides are better. POTC is a longer ride with more atmosphere. HM goes down an elevator instead of having the ceiling rise. I think that Fantasyland has a better presentation as you walk down the "street" than at WDW. And they have the Matterhorn, which is a must. I would ride that every trip.

Now, WDW is better than DL in a ton of ways, too. But you should definitely go to DL.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Definately go - always nice to see the original that Walt had a hand in.
    There is another thread you should check out, and I forget who posted it, but it does a great comparison of the parks.
    I will try to find it for you.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    It is under the Disneyland section - but it is DL for the WDW veteran - a good read ,you should check it out!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
    It is under the Disneyland section - but it is DL for the WDW veteran - a good read ,you should check it out!!!
    Definitely check this out. I believer RU42 wrote that with some input and feedback from his own experience plus those of us who have visited both WDW and DLR.

To answer your initial question, definitely go to DISNEYLAND! It's Disney, but it's a completely different feel/vibe than WDW. I was very impressed what they could manage to do in the amount of space they have to use. It's very intimate compared to the MK in WDW. Try NOT to go with the mindset of constantly comparing DLR to WDW. Go with an open mind and enjoy what DLR has to offer.

And the reason POTC is better is because it's the original! WDW's POTC wasn't supposed to be initially, so we ended up with the abbreviated version.

As far as the HM's, they were built simultaneously. I haven't seen the DL HM since all the new changes, but at that time I felt overall it was comparable to WDW's.

All IMHO:
    -it's a small world is better, it's the original from the 1964/1965 NY World's Fair
    -Toontown is better themed than Mickey's Towntown Fair
    -New Orleans Square....wow....I LOVE this land.
    -Original Tiki Room
    -Fantasmic! is better, although Disney MGM-Studios did improve on the seating aspect
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

collins316 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I go to WDW once a year.
    I had the chance to go to DL once.
    I highly recommend it.
    Take the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour. Something about being in the Park that Walt made is special. Some rides, although similar, are still different.
    I like DL because everything is so close. We stayed at Paradise Pier. You walked to both parks, and both other hotels. It was nice not waiting for a bus to go somewhere- just walk!
    Even though I go back to WDW, I am glad I went to DL once. The one thing I would do differently- I would stay at the Grand California or DL Hotel.
    Enjoy!