Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Help Me Decide in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by tizzo From a strictly economic point of view, I wouldn't do AK without a parkhopper, simply because AK is not a full day. With a parkhopper ticket, ...
    Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    From a strictly economic point of view, I wouldn't do AK without a parkhopper, simply because AK is not a full day. With a parkhopper ticket, at least when AK closes you can go spend a few more hours somewhere else.
    I was going to say this too, but they are only staying until around 6 so it is an option, since doesn't AK close at 5 right now?

I would choose AK but that is because it is my favorite park!!

I suppose MK has the most to do, but you said he had never been to AK so why not try something new and see how he reacts?

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    To be honest it's between MK and AK right now which is why I needed y'all to help me decide. I'm so torn... It may end up being a last minute decision that morning when we wake up at PC.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    To be honest it's between MK and AK right now which is why I needed y'all to help me decide. I'm so torn... It may end up being a last minute decision that morning when we wake up at PC.
    Waiting til the last minute to decide may not be a bad idea. You should definitely factor in weather. A month from now it shouldn't be getting too terribly hot here yet, but we have been getting 90+ days already. The hotter it is, the more I'd lean towards MK, for several reasons.

First, the animals are a lot less active and more difficult to see on hot days. And AK is more spread out and involves a LOT more walking than MK does. Plus, I think MK has more attractions where you can duck in and get out of the heat (or a passing thundershower) for a few minutes. On the other hand, while I haven't seen it yet, the new Nemo show is supposed to be excellent.

Other considerations I hadn't mentioned before:

Some of what I think are the best attractions at AK (Dinosaur, Everest), your little one would not be permitted to ride.

Also, in case you do end up going to AK, based on my experience they will let you bring him in to see "It's Tough To Be A Bug", but I would not recommend you do. It's a little intense, and I have seen many a toddler carried screaming from the theater by Dad.

Finally, you mentioned that he liked the zoo. I don't know if you've been to AK before, but when Disney said "not a zoo" in those ads a few years back, they weren't kidding. There are a couple of zoo-like animal exhibits, and a couple of attractions featuring live animals, but AK is decidedly not a zoo.

Tony

No offense but is anyone actually reading my entire first post? LOL!! I'm starting to think I'm losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo
    Finally, you mentioned that he liked the zoo. I don't know if you've been to AK before, but when Disney said "not a zoo" in those ads a few years back, they weren't kidding. There are a couple of zoo-like animal exhibits, and a couple of attractions featuring live animals, but AK is decidedly not a zoo.
    Scroll up! LOL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bamajenn
    Y'know what's funny? When I typed that I thought to myself "I wonder who the first person to respond with the Nahtazu thing is gonna be." LOL!! Yes yes I know... I was making the point that if at the Zoo he doesn't notice much of the animals he won't appreciate the majority of what's at AK. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

No offense but is anyone actually reading my entire first post? LOL!! I'm starting to think I'm losing it.

I did! I did! I did!

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    I did! I did! I did!
    LOL!

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Ehh, I think the point tizzo was making was that since AK is nothing like the zoo, perhaps your experience @ AK would be *better* than your experience at the zoo.

Are you still going to live 3hrs away when you renew your passes in May?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeofLove4Him View Post
    Are you still going to live 3hrs away when you renew your passes in May?
    Yep, I'm in the same place I was then. It's really 2.5 hours away but that just doesn't look as pretty under your avatar.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House

Scroll up! LOL!!
    Yes, I read your entire post!

When our kids were the age of your son, we spent most of our time in the MK. I just don't think there's enough in AK that is geared to a 1 year old, whereas there is a lot you can do in the MK with a child that age.

P.S. If you're looking for a good nap location, our kids always seemed to fall asleep on the Liberty Belle. Just make sure he's awake before you return to the dock and they blow the horn!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2 View Post
    P.S. If you're looking for a good nap location, our kids always seemed to fall asleep on the Liberty Belle. Just make sure he's awake before you return to the dock and they blow the horn!
    LOL! Well that's one huge wonderful thing about my son. He loves napping in his stroller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12