Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How early should I book in the Vacation Planning forums; We are looking at taking a trip to WDW in December between Thanksgiving and Christmas, how far out should I book? When am I most likely to find the best ...
    Matt OC is offline A-Ticket holder

How early should I book

We are looking at taking a trip to WDW in December between Thanksgiving and Christmas, how far out should I book? When am I most likely to find the best deals? Thanks in advance

Matt

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Well, where are you looking to stay? Will you have any AP, AAA, etc. ?
    Very generally speaking, I would book as soon as you have a very good idea what dates you have in mind to give yourself the most options.

With DVC members, this is a period of HIGH activity so many of us actually book at 11 months out at our home resorts for the period starting with Thanksgiving through to New Year's. I'm not certain how the non-DVC resorts are, but this time period has gotten more popular and thus more crowded in recent years on the whole of the WDW resort.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I would say yesterday at 7:30 am EDT.

Seriously, the farther out you can book the better off you are. If you find a cheaper rate or a deal later, they will usually change your reservation to reflect the difference.
    They call me "Nana"

I have always been told that the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are not very busy, is that incorrect?

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt OC View Post
    I have always been told that the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas are not very busy, is that incorrect?
    Comparatively to the week between Christmas and New Year's, the weeks surrounding Easter/Spring Break, the Summer Season, it is not that busy.

However I can tell you in my personal experience, the "secret" of this time frame is no longer a real secret. More people are coming this time of year, especially with the travel industry finally rebounding after 2001. This is not to scare you or anything, the crowds aren't really that bad IMHO. I just don't want you to get the impression everything is a walk on and parks are practically bare. That's just not the case anymore in my personal experience. YMMV and I'm sure others have their own opinions.

Having said all that, it's my 2nd favorite time of year to go to the WDW Resort.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

We would like to stay at POFQ again. We don't have AAA or AP or any of that.

We are not worried about crowds. In the last two and an half years we have been in July, April, and August, so crowds are not an issue. I can't imagine it will be more crowded than it was at any of those times, especally July and April (Spring Break for the N.E.)

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    It won't be anymore crowded. If you go the first week in December you run into Mousefest, so there will be areas that will be slightly more crowded.

Weekends are always a lot more crowded than week days. The closer you get to either holiday it will be busier. I'm down here for the entire time, and I'll tell you from my experience the last 3 years it starts getting busier around the 3rd week of December towards the weekend normally depending where Christmas falls.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

We are looking a going on either the 2nd or the 9th and staying for a week.