Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Potty Training tips? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm not sure if anyone's posted on this yet. (I searched and all I came up with was something about someone potty training their dog.) My friend was wondering what ...
    hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder

Potty Training tips?

I'm not sure if anyone's posted on this yet. (I searched and all I came up with was something about someone potty training their dog.)

My friend was wondering what I thought about taking a child who's potty training or not quite totally potty trained to WDW. Does anyone have any great advice on the subject?
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I will have to potty train my youngest soon, he isn't ready yet....anyway, I would suggest pull-ups in case the child has to go and the parents are in a queue or on a ride and can't get to a bathroom quick enough. The rest of the time I would ask often if the child has to go or even stop at every bathroom on the way! Good luck to your friend!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Having lived through that fun stage last summer, I can offer some advice:

1. • Get park maps and learn where ALL the rest rooms are. You will be visiting most of them.

2. • The Baby Care centers have small-sized toilets available.

3. • Bring a pack of small sticky notes for the automatic flushing toilets. Put a sticky over the sensor, and it won't auto-flush too soon and scare your child. Just don't forget to pull the note off as you leave.

4. • If they use a potty seat or ring, and you need to bring one with you, there are some folding seats that make travel easier. Just get them used to the travel seat before you leave home (my DS refused to sit on it - better to find that out at home than having him howl in a stall). Same goes for any of those paper potty covers.

5. • Depending on how far along they are with training, you will have to decide whether to use pull-ups or underwear. For the flight down and any long drives in a rental car, even though he was pretty reliable we used pull-ups just in case. As long as you keep treating it like underwear (asking if he needs to go potty every 5 minutes LOL), they really don't care.

6. • Just in case, be sure to bring with you a spare set of clothing (including socks/shoes), some baby wipes and a couple of pull-ups, and a zip-top bag. Accidents happen more easily when they (and you) are distracted by so many things. Also, the change in food and all the excitement can upset little digestive systems, so better to be prepared.

7. • Make a potty stop before getting on a long line, or before a show.

8. • DON'T restrict fluids to prevent accidents or frequent stops. They need water in the heat and sun just as much or even more than we do.

9. • Remember, you're on vacation and are supposed to be having fun. If you're stressing out about the potty training, your child will pick up on it, and that can cause all sorts of unexpected results (from more frequent accidents to stool withholding). You will have to decide if it's the right time for you to go.

Good luck!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    excellent advise disney dame...esp about the folding potty seat..my son loves his and it fits easily in a back pack..i just wrap it in a plastic grocery bag and use alcohol based disinfectant on it after every away from home use
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Thank you, DisneyDarling! Yes, those folding seats are handy! Both my kids were picky about their seats. DD thankfully only wanted the folding one. By the time DS was up to that stage, we had to buy a new one and found it hard to find a good one (one had too small an opening, one pinched (OUCH!), and one was so flimsy it wouldn't stay flat.) So it really does help to shop around and test them out early.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Bring a pack of small sticky notes for the automatic flushing toilets. Put a sticky over the sensor, and it won't auto-flush too soon and scare your child. Just don't forget to pull the note off as you leave.

Wow Pat, that is very cleaver!!! Nice tip for potty training parents!

trypnotic is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Bring a pack of small sticky notes for the automatic flushing toilets. Put a sticky over the sensor, and it won't auto-flush too soon and scare your child. Just don't forget to pull the note off as you leave.
    That's a great idea for anywhere and something my daughter has been very afraid of! Thanks for the tip!
    B-rad // O // the bloogue moblog

7/86 - Disneyland | 11/02 - AS Movies | 5/03 - Wyndham Palace | 5/05 - La Quinta Lakeside, OKW, AS Music | 2/06 - POP Century | 6/06 - Best Western Lakeside | 12/06 - Best Western Lakeside

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Oh my gosh, I think I love you disneydame! Your tips are amazing! I never knew about the smaller toilets at the Baby Care Centers! Thank you so much!

Oh and if anyone else has any special advice, I can never get too much! : )
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Thank you Anything to make that phase a little easier.

Wish I could take credit for the post-its tip, but I did read that somewhere else. I can confirm that it works like a charm!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My son was 3 1/2, still not potty trained and we were going to WDW. My husband made real efforts and progress in the two weeks before our trip. He was doing really well at that point.

The tips given are great. I wish I had known about the sticky notes. I could use those for myself at work. That darn toilet.

The only other thing we thought of was night time. Did we leave him in underwear and take the risk or use diapers? I can't remember now but I think we opted to make sure he was in pull-ups/diapers. Only problem is those late nights in the park where he falls asleep on the way home. Was he in underwear? Do we wake him to put on diapers? I think we brought a small mattress protector just in case of problems.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i'm so waiting for my lil one to start the potty training.. i got her a potty and she started telling us she went after she went.. but i think she quickly lost intrest in it..

i wish she would start letting me know again
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy