Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss How young is too young? in the Vacation Planning forums; We are so excited about taking our baby to WDW. I was just wondering how old your kids (or you) were when you went to Disney for the first time? ...
    All4theShow is offline C-Ticket Holder

How young is too young?

We are so excited about taking our baby to WDW. I was just wondering how old your kids (or you) were when you went to Disney for the first time? What age to you think is the best to get them started?

Always There
    Without A Care
    Soaking Up Sun
    And Having Some Fun!

She opened her eyes and I knew that my life would never be the same

GoofTroop3 is offline B-Ticket Holder

My rule of thumb ...

My rule of thumb is that they are old enough when they can walk well. That way they can explore. We took our son for his first trip to WDW when he was 18 months. He started walking at ten months so by 18 months he was doing great.

A child doesn't need to go on rides to have fun. He was amazed and delighted by Mickey's Toontown Fair. Try to imagine yourself as a toddler. There is so much for them to see at their sight level. And the shapes and colors are great. He enjoyed Mickey's and Minnie's houses, Donald's boat. the little playground with Pluto's doghouse.

At Animal Kingdom he loved the Dinosaurs and the Boneyard. At MGM he loved Playhouse Disney.

There is so much for young children to do at WDW that older children won't appreciate.

And the characters! He was in love with Pooh and Tigger at Crystal Palace.

We stayed at the Beach Club. They have a sand bottom pool and the water level slowly gets deeper. He was able to sit on the sand and in the water in some places. He loved that. We had such a wonderful time.

I know some people won't take their children until they're old enough to remember the trip. By taking him when he was younger I believe that I implanted the magic in his heart and it will stay there forever, even if his brain doesn't remember.
    Last edited by GoofTroop3; 03-27-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    tayen was 12 months.. we did her first bday there.. but have friends that took their lil one ones smaller than that to disneyland
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    Taking a baby to a theme park, especially a kid friendly one like the Magic Kingdom, is really visually stimulating and can do a lot for their cognitive growth even in just a few days. My parents always told me that they took me when I was 5 months old (i think) and they said my eyes and smile were lit up the entire time

To me there is no such thing as "too young". We took our oldest when he was 1 1/2 our youngest went for his first time when he was 8 months old and he loved it!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I would say that you probably don't need to go to WDW directly from the hospital. That might be a wee bit young.
    They call me "Nana"

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    My parents first took me to disneyland at 2 yrs old but i don't remember it at all, the first time i went to WDW is was 10 and all i remember is sitting on park benchs because we had my aunt and uncle from vegas with us who moved way to slow for us jumpy new york people

I was 5 when I first went
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i just woud advis not to go in july... when we went she was so hot it was very comfortable for her
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    I would say that you probably don't need to go to WDW directly from the hospital. That might be a wee bit young.

Always full of great advice aren't ya?

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGuy87 View Post
    Taking a baby to a theme park, especially a kid friendly one like the Magic Kingdom, is really visually stimulating and can do a lot for their cognitive growth even in just a few days. My parents always told me that they took me when I was 5 months old (i think) and they said my eyes and smile were lit up the entire time
    i agree with this 100% - even babies get stimulation from all of the sites, sounds, smells, tastes, and more from a disney experience!!!

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    The heat is something to think about, just dont ever let the baby be in the sun for TOO long and you will be okay

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I was 6 years old the first time I went and hardly remember much .Just from the pictures I saw .I waited until my youngest was also 6 years old to take her and her sister who was 10 at the first time. It depends on the person and how you fell. I personally don't agree with taking babies that young because in all honesty they are never going to remember and yes they will have the pictures but those are really for you. But like I said it's really up to the parnets as to what they themselves think istto young and also how much your williing to deal with.But have fun with your little one.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I think it totally depends on the kid and her/his temperment, and how relaxed the parents will be-if you relax and have fun, it will help the little ones. (My rule of thumb, btw, is three, but only cuz I don't want to deal with little ones in diapers at disney)..
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

DisneyHottie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Its cute to take them when they are little. But I think its best to take them once they are potty trained. I hate seeing babies so young at the parks that are still breat feeding and what not. Granted the baby will enjoy DIsney but the parents are running aoundwith the little one and not able to enjoy it as much. Also Its great that thy have baby swap but I was talking to my parents and they hated it just because there were rides that are just better with another person and goingon it by yourself is just not the same. But like someone else said... it is up to the parent and whether or not they want a stressful vacation (kinda like an oxymoron lol).
    Hopeful Fall '08 CPer!!
    In love with Cptn. Jack Sparrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast