Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Problems or Experiences with AirTran or Southwest in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello all! I was wondering if I could hear of anyone's problems or experiences with AirTran or Southwest? We are considering taking one of these low cost airlines to Orlando ...
    jsloan409 is offline A-Ticket holder

Problems or Experiences with AirTran or Southwest

Hello all!

I was wondering if I could hear of anyone's problems or experiences with AirTran or Southwest? We are considering taking one of these low cost airlines to Orlando from Philadelphia and are alittle leery about them. Especially, when I hear of them over-selling flights and also not having an assigned seat until we check in.

Has anyone had any problems with this?

Are we better off spending the extra money to fly on USAir or United?

Any info or advice that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot!
    142 days and counting until our trip to the world.
    September 07 POFQ

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Why would you be leery of Southwest? They're huge! I use them every time I go to Disney. Going again in 2 weeks. They have the best fares. Have never, ever had a problem with them. My sister is going with us and she got a $49 one way fare from Philly. Don't even give Southwest a second thought. It's less than a 2hr flight from Philly.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    Plus with Southwest you can check in online 24 hours in advance of your flight to get your A seating. And the hotel concierge will even do it for you for your return flight. Get to the airport early enough and get into the A line, you'll be on the plane after the families with little children and disabled. It works out perfectly and your not strewn about the plane.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Not having an assigned seat is the only drawback I've experienced with Southwest.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I really haven't had problems with Airtran except that they banged up my luggage some - but that happens with all of them.
    My one time flying Southwest to San Diego wasn't bad, but the trip back was HORRIBLE!!!
    I had a 1 hour layover, but the first leg was delayed and they would not rebook me on any other flight.
    I made it to the layover location and RAN through the airport and they pulled the plane back in for me - and I got EVIL looks from everyone on the plane!

This was a few years back, so it may have improved, but that one experience turned me off them.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

SmallWorld is offline A-Ticket holder
    Living vicariously through the travel reports of DWT members!
    My family LOVES Southwest. Never any problems that weren't totally taken care of. In fact.....can't really remember any problems. As far as the seating goes, I guess we just always flew with cordial passengers. As a family of 5 we never had problems sitting together even if we needed to ask someone to move. The crew is so relaxed and amiable I guess it rubs off on the passengers! Definitely my airline of choice for friendliness and low cost.

We recently booked a trip on Air Tran for the first time. Haven't flown yet.......but already they've emailed us to let us know they were not flying the return trip as planned but instead backing it up a little less than 2 hours. I'm not impressed - that's MY vacation time they're messing with. I'll give them credit as they tried to accomodate us, even going so far as to offer us a change to a different location with no charge. It just didn't work out with the younger members of our family, so we're stuck with leaving earlier than we wanted to.

So.........I'd stick with SOUTHWEST!!!!! Plenty of flights.

stephanie71717 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I would definately go with southwest, they have some major sales going on right now. I got roundtrip for $157 from Buffalo to Orlando. I have never had any delays or anything, so I would say give southwest a try.

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    never had a problem with Southwest. Except our two golf club carriers came on the next flight because they ran out of room, but that was no big, and that was just because they were golf clubs.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Zildjian2564 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Having flown from Philly to Orlando via AirTran many, many times (even in the January blizzard a couple of years ago), I've never had a bad experience with them. AirTran's service, IMHO, is better than what you'd expect from a low cost carrier.

fazdevils is offline A-Ticket holder
    We just flew AirTran on our trip to WDW. The only downside we had was that we did not have seats together on our way home. I could have avoided this if I'd known you could ask the concierge to check us in 24 hours in advance. The attendants at the AirTran gate also told me you could check in via phone. This was some info I wish I had beforehand.

On the plus side, Air Tran has XM radio coverage on it's flights. Also, the attendants also told me that AIrTran recently joined Disney's list of carrier partners in it's Magical Express benefits. I think this lets you check your luggage at your hotel rather than at the airport. This should save you some time at the airport.

stephanie71717 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    So I have a question. How does the online check in for Southwest work? I know that you can check in 24 hours before your flight departs, but what are the advantages to doing this? I have never utilized online check in before, but this time I have a group of 10 going, so it might be quicker and more convenient.

disneygramma is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have flown Air Tran and have had no problems with them. Am using them again this August for our trip to WDW! However, I am making sure that all my clothes are in those large 2.5 gallon sized ziploc bags as the first time I flew with them, the fella that checks the contents of the luggage took all my stuff out of the bag and set it on that dirty counter! Plus he touched everything!!! With the big bags I can make sure that he doesn't touch anything. Just a phobia I have!!!!! LOL
    Second star to the right....straight on till morning!!!:mickey:

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie71717 View Post
    So I have a question. How does the online check in for Southwest work? I know that you can check in 24 hours before your flight departs, but what are the advantages to doing this? I have never utilized online check in before, but this time I have a group of 10 going, so it might be quicker and more convenient.
    The biggest advantage to checking in on line is that you're assigned your boarding group. The early you check in, the more likely you are to get an A boarding pass (the first of three boarding groups). Also, don't panic if your group is spread among two different boarding groups - those in the first group can save seats on board for those in the second group.

When you arrive at the airport, make sure you use the electronic kiosks for checking your bags - much easier and faster than waiting in line at the ticket counter to check your bags in with a person. (There is an Employee stationed at the kiosks to help you if you need it.)

Have a great flight and a fantastic trip!
    Last edited by mrp4352; 05-11-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: bad grammar... Sorry!
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

EpcotNut is offline A-Ticket holder
    As long as you check in online the day prior with SW, you'll be completely fine. My wife and I actually had an experience (we were not heading to MCO) where we had to get to Houston to catch a cruise and we were stopiing in Jackson, Mississippi. We were cutting it close on time because of the headwinds we were flying into. During our stop, which was where some people deplaned and we took on more passengers for the flight to Houston, the attendants suggest we move to the front row and before everyone stood up to deplane actually asked if everyone could be as quick as possible because "we have a nice couple up here trying to catch a cruise ship". After everyone was off, they got all of the new passengers on and pushed back from the gate immediately - all for us! Litteraly! All in all the stop took 18 minutes from the time we touched down to the time we lifted off - unbelievable! We made our cruise and had a great time. So my opinion of Southwest airlines is a very positive one - I say no worries if you fly with Southwest!

EpcotNut is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
    The early you check in, the more likely you are to get an A boarding pass (the first of three boarding groups).
    Also - when you arrive at the gate - even if there is no one standing in the boarding area - dont be afraid to park yourself right under the 'A' (assuming you are in that group). People will fall in line behind you. If you don't mind standing or sitting on the floor for a bit, it will help you get the seat of your choice - whether it's the emergency row with the leg room or the first or second row so you are off the plane quicker. There's a little tip! Hope it woks out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast