Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Help needed! Problem in the Vacation Planning forums; Any ideas on how to persuade my parents into going to disney this year?? Our schedules are so packed. I'm a sophomore (Junior next year) and my brother is in ...
    sonnyatdisney is offline A-Ticket holder

Exclamation Help needed! Problem

Any ideas on how to persuade my parents into going to disney this year??

Our schedules are so packed.
    I'm a sophomore (Junior next year) and my brother is in 5th grade (6th grade next year).
    Band is going on all summer except for in July.
    We can miss practices in June, but when it starts back up in August, that is band camp, and it is pretty much mandatory.
    Then, after band camp, we only have about 3 or 4 more days off.

Then school starts:
    We have breaks where we get thursday and friday off, so we could do what we did on our last visit and take extra days off before that to leave and get there.
    The only thing is that those breaks we get always fall on peak days according to the Calenders on Disney's website.
    Also, I'm on my schools newspaper staff, and there is a very good chance I could be editor next year, so It wouldn't be very good for me to miss days during school.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what else has us holding back, but as you can see, we are pretty busy.

Are there any recommended times to go when we won't have to miss out on school?

The only thing holding us back from this summer is tht fact that it is busy and hot. We were going to go in June, but then my mom mentioned August, and now we just don't know when.

Oh, and did i mention the fact that my dad doesn't really want to go?
    I'm really the only one who is holding on to the thought of going to wdw again.
    But if we were to go again, everyone would be happy, of course.

Any help from anyone?

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Patience, young one!

Welcome to the real world, where you discover there are all these things call 'commitments' that keep you from being able to do whatever you want whenever you want to.

It sounds like you and your family need to make some choices. You will either have to miss a few days of practice or school, or go in July when it is hot and more crowded. Given the choice, of course everyone would rather go when the parks are empty and the weather is nice. But that's not always possible.

Going during a busy time of year just means you'd have to be more selective and plan better. Stay on property to be able to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours. Learn about and use FastPass to minimize your time waiting in lines. Pick your "must do" attractions before heading to the parks. There are a lot of tips out there on how to deal with the crowds.

As for persuading your parents, do your homework. In this case, research your vacation. Find out about any discounts or special offers, any special events going on during the time you want to go. Figure out how much it would cost. Decide what you are willing to do to make it happen - what practices can you miss, or how can you minimize the effect of missing some school days? Then pick a time when they are in a good mood, and ask if you can discuss it. Present your findings just like you would a report at school, so they see you've put some thought into it. Then let them have time to think it over.

Good luck.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    As a teacher, I have the same problem with scheduling vacations around school so I know what it's like. You can always try for a long weekend in the Fall and just not worry about the crowds. This is especially true if you've already been to Disney, you won't feel like you have to do EVERYTHING. Besides, crowds or not, Disney World is Disney World and like you said, everyone would be happy!
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Patience, young one!

Welcome to the real world, where you discover there are all these things call 'commitments' that keep you from being able to do whatever you want whenever you want to.

It sounds like you and your family need to make some choices. You will either have to miss a few days of practice or school, or go in July when it is hot and more crowded. Given the choice, of course everyone would rather go when the parks are empty and the weather is nice. But that's not always possible.

Going during a busy time of year just means you'd have to be more selective and plan better. Stay on property to be able to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours. Learn about and use FastPass to minimize your time waiting in lines. Pick your "must do" attractions before heading to the parks. There are a lot of tips out there on how to deal with the crowds.

As for persuading your parents, do your homework. In this case, research your vacation. Find out about any discounts or special offers, any special events going on during the time you want to go. Figure out how much it would cost. Decide what you are willing to do to make it happen - what practices can you miss, or how can you minimize the effect of missing some school days? Then pick a time when they are in a good mood, and ask if you can discuss it. Present your findings just like you would a report at school, so they see you've put some thought into it. Then let them have time to think it over.

Good luck.

Well, last year for my birthday (in november) and for christmas, all I asked for was a trip to disney.
    I did present info I had found and presented different ideas on when to stay and for how long.
    We were going to go this past spring break, but we didnt.
    Then we were going to go in june, but then my mom mentioned August.
    And now she has mentioned december into early january.

I've been pantient, but I just really want to go back badly!! Who can blame me?
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by eyeinthesky View Post
    As a teacher, I have the same problem with scheduling vacations around school so I know what it's like. You can always try for a long weekend in the Fall and just not worry about the crowds. This is especially true if you've already been to Disney, you won't feel like you have to do EVERYTHING. Besides, crowds or not, Disney World is Disney World and like you said, everyone would be happy!
    This is what we did when we went last:
    We went over fall break which was a thursday and friday in October. I think it was three days we took off before the break started. It worked out great.
    But now that I am in high school, I have band. And last year we made it to state and that happened to fall on the saturday during fall break. So, if we were to do as we did back in 2003 I think it was, there would be a chance that we make it to state again, and I can't miss that!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    ii would say.. mention it to them and hear them out.. but dont beat them down with it.. or.. you'll ruin all the good work you have been doing by bugging them about it!!

i would say go when it will least effect school and other activites .. we went last july. it was hot but it was too bad.. it was tougher on us because we had a 1 yr old.. but ya'll are older so it shouldnt be as bad
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

So would you recommend July?
    Out of all of the summer months (June, July and August), which would be the best time to vist?

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    go when you wont be as busy and cut into you activites.. anytime is a great time to go to disney!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

That is true. :]

metsy86 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'd say just make sure to tell your parents about how much they can enjoy WDW. For instance: Make sure they know about things like Magical Express (so they don't need to rent a car,) Pop Century (so it won't cost too much,) and you might want to offer them dinner at a great restaurant (maybe you and your brother could sacrifice your tastes for a night.) If your parents believe they'll have as a good of a time as you and your brother will, they will make the time to take you. While it is an expensive trip, it is often a lot less work than other trips a family can take and that always helps.

I have a lot of experience getting my parents to take me to WDW and a tiny bit of experience as a parent so I know what I'm talking about. Just make sure your parents believe they will have as good as a time as you will and you'll see your trip happen.

--Chris

PS Make sure your parents know about how the passions (hobbies, interets, etc . . . ) of your life relate to WDW. You seem to love music, maybe you could pick out a time when a band or a performance is happening that means a lot to you. Let your mom know the time and what you could learn. My mom and dad used to take me to the annual shareholders meetings in Feb/March at WDW. They thought it was a great way to help me learn about the business world at a young age. It must of worked since I am getting my MBA next week.

Hmm those are great ideas. I would love to see bands during the week that they are there (i foget what it is called!). And I would give anything to actually participate in it. But our band isn't the richest of them all, so oh well.

Thanks for the tips, and congrats on getting you MBA next week!

metsy86 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyatdisney View Post
    Hmm those are great ideas. I would love to see bands during the week that they are there (i foget what it is called!). And I would give anything to actually participate in it. But our band isn't the richest of them all, so oh well. !
    Hey, don't give up that easy. If your band doesn't have a lot of money, talk to the teachers involved about a fund raiser. If Disney has taught us anything it's that you can accomplish what you put your mind to.

Best,

Chris