Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss 4th of July in the Vacation Planning forums; Has anyone been on the 4th of July. Besides the crowds (which I know will be there) I was wondering which park would be the best on the 4th? We ...
    jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder

4th of July

Has anyone been on the 4th of July. Besides the crowds (which I know will be there) I was wondering which park would be the best on the 4th? We are talking about EPCOT. Any input?
    Eric

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I've only been to Magic Kingdom for the 4th of July and that was in the '80s. I remember the fireworks as being fantastic, but the crowds were horrendous and the weather was super hot. I'm not sure I intend to ever go again, but I'm glad I did it at least once.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You can try the website www.touringplans.com to check out the crowd levels.
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I've only been to Magic Kingdom for the 4th of July and that was in the '80s. I remember the fireworks as being fantastic, but the crowds were horrendous and the weather was super hot.
    I was at MK three years ago and the crowds were still horrendous and it was hot, hot, hot! The park closed at about 10:30 a.m. due to capacity. It was like Christmas with about another 40 degrees of heat thrown in!

If I had to be at WDW for the 4th of July again, I'd probably either avoid the parks for that evening or try EPCOT just due to sheer size/capacity. If one avoids the parks, there are many places to view fireworks such as from the Contemporary deck or Polynesian.

But personally, I'd avoid it if I could. As you might imagine, WDW is a destination even for many of the locals to go see the great fireworks!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Thanks all. I was also told that if you went to a park stay there becauseyou might not be able to get back in. Is this true?
    Eric

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Yes, it is true.

I was there three years ago at the same time as Granny.

Yes the parks close due to capacity. From my understanding, Disney does not monitor it such as three come out, then three go in. Once they hit capacity, a larger number must leave before they essentially "open the gates" to more guests and I am not sure if it ever got to that point on the 4th of July holiday.

Being in the parks for the 4th of July is an experience. One you will enjoy if you plan properly for it. That said, if this is the only day you are going to be able to get to WDW for the year, I would choose another day, since it is indeed very crowded and you will most likely not get to experience all the rides and attractions you would like to..

We planned to be in the Magic Kingdom for the 4th. We knew we would have to get there fairly early and stay throughout the entire day. I made ADR for both lunch and dinner so that I knew we would have two nice air conditioned breaks. Also, find the "cool" queues and attractions. Splash Mountain has a cool queue, Big Thunder Mountain does not. Philharmagic, Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress are all great for a nice cool break.

Since this was during an 8 day vacation, we had been to the MK and had already experienced the attractions we wanted to see on this trip. We did get to ride on the 4th, but if a line was too long we would just find another thing to do. So, plan to visit the MK at least one other day on your vacation before or after the 4th.

Also, use your fast passes wisely. When we get a fast pass, we check the time iit tells us we can get another and we make sure to get one.

Plan on lots of water and ice cream treats.

As I said, experiencing the 4th of July in the MK is a day I will remember forever, fireworks are set off all around the perimeter of the park as well as above the Castle. Amazing! You really have a nice view from almost anywhere in the park.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

We will be there 5 days this year, but we also go at least once a year anyway. Does EPCOT also do the fireworks around the park or just Illuminations?
    Eric