Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Would you let the present of love bugs spoil your Disney World Vacation?

Voters
13. This poll is closed
  • YES

0 0%
  • NO

13 100.00%
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss A few questions about Love Bugs in the Vacation Planning forums; Are Love Bugs a problem everywhere in the resort? Are they a problem day and night? Do they get inside the enclosed ride areas and restaurants? Do they swarn around ...
    jsloan409 is offline A-Ticket holder

A few questions about Love Bugs

Are Love Bugs a problem everywhere in the resort?

Are they a problem day and night?

Do they get inside the enclosed ride areas and restaurants?

Do they swarn around the pool areas day and night because of the water?

Are lake and river side resort over run with them day and night?

Thanks all for any feedback on these question you can give.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Love Bugs are a problem everywhere in Florida this time a year. They seem to be a problem during the day if it's especially warm though they are out at night too. Disney does a good job of keeping them out of the parks though, not sure how. They do however swarm the bus areas and parking at times. It really seems to be on the most humid of days too which is probably also the water/pool thing. The good news is they can't hurt you and they are really just a nuisance bug. The bad news is there's not much you can do about it. Even citronella doesn't work to keep them at bay.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    What are "Love Bugs?"
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    They are these little bugs that seem to be 2 bugs holding hands. I remember them just falling all the time. I would sit outside with a book and they would keep falling on my book. They don't bite, but they can be everywhere. Last year we visited the first week of October and they were almost gone by then.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Love bugs fly around connected at the rear (they seem to mate for 95% of their lifespan and then seperate and die). They are annoying but they do not bite, sting etc...and they really aren't that bad, especially in the parks
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I've always marvelled at the fact the I've never seen a single mosquito, ant, spider or any other insects in any of the Disney parks. How do they do it?
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    There were so many of these "Love Bugs" when we went down last week, I had never noticed them before. There were alot of them by the bus stop at our resort and the pool area as well, but I cant remember noticing them at all at any of the parks.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    the parks spray for bugs so in the parks it won't be as bad.

love bugs are BEYOND annoying and are annoying throughout the month of May! Good thing its almost over! I can finally wash my car again!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Love bugs are only really a problem for your car. They are at worst annoying. They don't bite or sting, and they aren't drawn to people or animals or anything. They just fly around in such great numbers that you can't help but have them land on you every now and then.

Love bugs around here peaked a couple of weeks ago, and should be just about gone for the season by now. I was at WDW on Friday and there were very very few of them left. If you had been there and someone had pointed them out to you, you'd wonder what all the fuss was about because there just weren't that many. When they peak the air is almost literally thick with them, but that only lasts a couple of weeks.

GoofyOnDWT is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you drive your car during the 2 times of the year when the bugs swarm (May and September), it is best to wash your car as soon as you can. If you let the dead bugs linger on your paint job, you'll find that a blemish will exist when you do wash them off (or at least there's a good chance you'll have a lasting reminder of the pests).

For some reason, the bugs seem to congregate near anything painted white.

You can help hold down their numbers if you eliminate compost (dead leaves and items of such) since that's where they are most likely to lay their eggs.

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    ok hahahaha here I am thinking you're talking about couples HAHA. Here I am saying uh.. NO!! I would love to go to Disney World with my lover!....OH you're talking about insects haha.

Ok, lovebugs aren't necesarilly a huge problem unless you're looking for them. I am NOT a bug person and was constantly on the lookout for them. I only saw one really and it was in a heavily wooded area in the backside of our room at the Yacht Club. I really haven't had huge problems with them. I am way too distracted to take notice even.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder
    They were everywhere last week. UGH! It's a normal thing here in Florida...I've dealth with them my whole life and they are nothing but annoying only because of the mess they make of your car. The biggest issue with love bugs is that they tend to concentrate on Central Florida because the coastal breezes push them inland. Here in Southeast Florida we don't really see them much beause of the constant onshore breeze.

In answer to some of the original questions...

Yes, they are pretty much everywhere...some more than others.
    They are worse during the day...not really noticeable at night.
    I don't think they are attracted to water...it seems they are attracted to highways.

Good things about love bugs: the season is short (almost over) and they don't bite, sting or spread disease.
    Check out my blog or MySpace.