Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Last Week of August in the Vacation Planning forums; Does anyone know how busy the parks usually are the last weekend in August. It's my birthday and I would love to go but have always been afraid of the ...
    rpi232 is offline A-Ticket holder

Last Week of August

Does anyone know how busy the parks usually are the last weekend in August. It's my birthday and I would love to go but have always been afraid of the crowds. I am used to going in October when its slightly more reasonable.

Thanks

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    For the past two years I've gone last week of Aug to the first week of Sept(meaning over Labor Day) and the crowds really arnt that bad. The only day that we ever had a problem with was Labor Day and that wasnt even too bad. We didnt wait in lines very long, if at all and we could always find a good spot at the shows and parades.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    it's dead the last week of august into the first week of sept. I went two years ago and it was awesome! no waiting more that fifteen minutes for anything
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by skiyalater View Post
    it's dead the last week of august into the first week of sept. I went two years ago and it was awesome! no waiting more that fifteen minutes for anything

I've heard that there's a bit of a "sweet spot", maybe lasting for a week or two, prior to Labor Day during which the parks are relatively quiet. I think it occurs relative to Labor Day rather than August 31.

There are a couple of caveats, however. First, I think part of the reason for the slowdown is that public schools in FL tend to resume classes in early to mid August. Although I didn't follow it that closely, there was actually a law enacted at the state level (don't ask my why) imposing restrictions on how early schools are allowed to resume classes, and I believe it takes effect this year. I don't know the details, but I had the impression that they were going to force schools to start and end their school years later, and that may have some impact on the crowds in the couple of weeks before Labor Day.

Also, I remember reading at one point that WDW was going to bring back the Pirates and Princesses Party around the August/September timeframe. I remember reading conflicting reports, or the range of dates in question was fluid or something, and don't know what they ended up scheduling. But you should definitely find out what is going on -- maybe Disney has something about it on their web site by now. If they are doing P&P I don't know what it will do to crowds, but it will mean that MK will close early several nights per week.

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Aug. 20 is the start date for Tmpa and Orlando area schools. Haven't heard anything about manditory later start dates, but between Aug 15-25 seems to be the usual for first day of classes since I was there 10-15 years ago. Many family members work with the school system down there. So I'd say end of Aug should be good, especially compared to DL... their schools don't start until after Labor Day.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Funny, I just posted yesterday, and then today I see the following article. Anyway, confirming what I said, and echoing what another poster said, schools (at least on Brevard county) are staring on August 20 this year, which is eleven days later than in previous years. August 20 is still more than a week before the end of the month, so I would think the "sweet spot" should still be there, just might not be as long.

Florida Today Article
    Last edited by tizzo; 06-13-2007 at 10:53 AM.

rpi232 is offline A-Ticket holder
    This is great!! Thank you all for the great information. I'm going to start booking my trip soon.