Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Magical express service in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone im going to walt disney world in the second week of december and was wondering about the magical express service. I have taken it before back in 2003 ...
    bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder

Magical express service

Hi everyone im going to walt disney world in the second week of december and was wondering about the magical express service. I have taken it before back in 2003 but have forgotten some things. When is the best time to make a reservation for it, when we get to the airport do we pick up our bags or do they do it. When you are about to leave for home do you have to make a reservation for that also.

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    you make one reservation. I would suggest doing it when you book the hotel so you don't forget it later on. Depending on what you want to do, you can take your bags or they can take them.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    On our next trip, we didn't decide to fly until later. It wasn't a problem to call back to set up ME. Since then the airline has changed our flight so I am going to wait a little bit to call back with this new information...just in case they change their minds AGAIN. ANyway, it isn't a problem to call back to add ME to your reservations at all. You call give them all the flight information at one time....coming and going. It will depend on which airline you take ifyou have to get your bags or not. There are some people who think you should get your own bags no matter what but if you don't need your bags right away, I say, let them do the work. But that is just my opinion. I hope this helps you a bit.

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Actually, Disney will get your bags for all airlines - even the "non participating" ones. The participation only means that when it's time to go back to the airport, you can check your bags to the airline at your resort, rather than having to load them under the bus and check them yourselves at the airport. We've used the service several times and never had issues! I can't imagine traveling to a Disney hotel and renting a car anymore!
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
    Actually, Disney will get your bags for all airlines - even the "non participating" ones. The participation only means that when it's time to go back to the airport, you can check your bags to the airline at your resort, rather than having to load them under the bus and check them yourselves at the airport. We've used the service several times and never had issues! I can't imagine traveling to a Disney hotel and renting a car anymore!

Thanks for clearing that up! That is good to know! Thanks!

I agree- why rent a car unless you just have to drive. Sometimes we rent a car because we go and pick up my brother and do other things like dinner off property---but that was two years ago! This time, we will use ME and enjoy our time not driving around.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by bucknut20 View Post
    Hi everyone im going to walt disney world in the second week of december and was wondering about the magical express service. I have taken it before back in 2003 but have forgotten some things. When is the best time to make a reservation for it, when we get to the airport do we pick up our bags or do they do it. When you are about to leave for home do you have to make a reservation for that also.
    DME didn't start until May 5, 2005. I'm not sure what you used in the past, but I'm sure it wasn't DME.

You MUST have advance reservations for DME. By the terms of their contract with the airport, they are not permitted to handle "walk-ups."

Call DIsney and tell them you want to add DME reservations to your reservation.

About 4-6 weeks before your trip, you'll be sent a DME packet. In there will be special pre-printed luggage tags (sticky yellow paper, not the had plastic kind that you write your name on). You put one DME luggage tag on each piece of checked luggage before you leave home. Check your bags with your airline like normal. But when you land in Orlando, you totally skip baggage claim and go to the Disney Welcome Center, where you check in, are shown to your bus queue, then you board the bus and then you go to your resort. The bus may stop at up to 4 resorts. Even with some stops, this generally takes the same amount of time as a car service or rental car ... the time savings with DME comes from not having to wait at baggage claim.

Your luggage will be delivered to the inside of your room whether you're in there or not, about 3 hours or so after you arrive at the resort. You don't need to be present ... you should go out and begin your fun, since there is NO REASON to hang around the room waiting for your luggage. Pack for your immediate needs in your carry-on.

I think DME is the best thing since Mickey Mouse himself. I love it. It's both free and convenient.
    -- Eric

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks everyone for answering my questions.