Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Vacation Planning Tips & Tricks Discuss Visiting in January in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone, my family and I are looking into going to WDW in January 2008. The dates we're thinking of are the 5th-13th. We've been to WDW several times but ...
    disneylover87 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Question Visiting in January

Hi everyone, my family and I are looking into going to WDW in January 2008. The dates we're thinking of are the 5th-13th. We've been to WDW several times but usually in the summer so going this early in the year is a first for us. We usually stay in a villa off Disney property but if it's cheaper we may consider staying on-site in one of the hotels. I was just wondering if anyone knows what it's like at this time of year, what's the weather like, how busy is it etc etc. Also I've heard that there is a marathon weekend in January at some point, does anyone know when? Any info you can give me would be great!
    All you need is Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    There is a common misbelief that it is warm all year round in Orlando. As someone who lived in FL and spent time in Orlando every month of the year (had family there) let me tell you... pack jeans and sweatshirts. That week you're considering is usually pretty slow. It's not as "dead" as it is at other times of the year but it's certainly alot emptier than it is in the summer. Take a look at the value resorts for that time and see what you can get. During the winter the value resorts often have better deals than hotels off property do. Good luck and have fun!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Thanks for the info! I'm not too worried about it being cold as I live in the UK and at the moment (in the middle of summer!) we've had temperatures of only about 15-18 degrees C!

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    There is a common misbelief that it is warm all year round in Orlando. As someone who lived in FL and spent time in Orlando every month of the year (had family there) let me tell you... pack jeans and sweatshirts. That week you're considering is usually pretty slow. It's not as "dead" as it is at other times of the year but it's certainly alot emptier than it is in the summer. Take a look at the value resorts for that time and see what you can get. During the winter the value resorts often have better deals than hotels off property do. Good luck and have fun!
    Agreed that it's a little slower than normal, and can get cooler. Jeans and sweatshirts are a good idea. I wouldn't plan on going to water parks either. However, depending on from where you hail, you may or may not consider it cold. I am from NJ, and I wear shorts here almost all year round, including January. There's the occasional day when it's too cold for shorts, and unlike the summer it does cool down in the evenings.

The thing about January/February in FL is that the temperature can very greatly. It can easily reach 70F or 80F during these months, and it is considered "unseasonably warm", as opposed to "freakishly hot" as we would call such temperatures in NJ that time of the year. Similarly, there are days when the high only makes it 60F and the temperature flirts with freezing overnight. The biggest downside to coming here, therefore, other than probably not being able to take advantage of the water parks, is that you have to pack more in order to be prepared for anything.

Of course the nice things are more endurable temperatures (if it's cold you can just bundle up -- unlike when it's hot and all you can do is suffer); it's the dry season, meaning no daily downpours; and there are smaller crowds (although smaller crowds always go hand in hand with shorter operating hours at the parks). I personally think January, February, and much of March beat the summer hands down.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We've been to the parks near Christmas and in February. I have a great pic of the three of us bundled in jackets, scarves and gloves standing in front of the Christmas tree in AK. I think the FL tourist bureau finally got to that picture because the disc it's on will no longer load. I concur with everyone here - dress in layers and forget about going swimming unless you belong to the polar bear. Actually, you might find the weather close to what we experienced in London this winter. You will enjoy the lighter crowds and the after Christmas sales in all the stores on and off property. We'll be returning to the UK from FL a week or two before you leave.
    Last edited by mini-V; 08-01-2007 at 04:25 AM.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

djmasterscooter is offline B-Ticket Holder
    the 5th to the 13th is when I go, and my fiancee and I love it. Barely any lines, and the weather is definitely tolerable. I'd definitely consider an All-Star resort as it is value season during this time and has great rates.
    "Do Not Go To Disney World With A Bottle Of Pepsi. We will never see you again, and I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing"

Thanks for all your help! The biggest problem I'm having with this time of year is the price of flights. I thought they'd be much cheaper as it's low season but they seem to be similar to summer flight prices!

That may be during the marathon but that shouldn't effect the crowds. We usually go the first week or 2 of January and love it. Not as hot, less crowds=more Tigger time for me Mornings are cooler and then it seems to warm up a bit. We wear sweatshirts in the morning and then put them in a locker later becuz we don't want to drag them all day. This is one of my favorite pictures from Jan. 2006. My DD waiting for Illuminations at Epcot. Nothing like drinking hot chocolate to keep warm in Florida.

Enjoy your trip!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

paul mex is offline A-Ticket holder
    HI Disney lover
    Were from England too and went last year for new years (27th Dec to 10th Jan) It was the 1st time we had been when the Christmas decorations were up and it was great It really added to the holiday The lines were quite busy up to new years but really short after and the weather was quite warm (well a lot warmer than here) We went mid Feb this year and it was a lot lot cooler especially at night and we wont be going in Feb again We have 2 boys 6 and 8 and it was a bit to cold for the water parks really!!!(it was the cheapest time of year to go in the Jetsave book) , I know what you mean about flights We use Jetsave or Virgin and stay off property ,Usually somewhere on I-drive and it still isnt cheap £2-2500 for a Family of 4 But we just couldnt afford to go so often if we stayed at Disney But Im 40 next year and my darling wife has booked for pop century at the end of April 2008 1st time staying on site (after 7 trips) and I didnt think I would be looking forward to being the big 40 as much ?????
    Hope it helps Paul
    Ps Nearly Forgot The Marathon was on the day we went to Epcot and we got stuck in a Traffic jam near the MGM entrance but thats the only way we knew it had been on that day it didnt affect anything else<
    Last edited by paul mex; 08-01-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: extra

Again, thanks for your help everyone! Hopefully I'll get a January holiday sorted, if not we'll go in May 2008 for two weeks, which it seems won't cost much more than one week in January.

Paul, I hope you enjoy your birthday celebrations, don't worry, you're only as old as you feel and considering you're a Disney fan I suppose that means you're just a big kid!!